Metal Storm logo
Ayreon

Original post

Posted by , 17.05.2006 - 18:39
The huge famous project of Arjan Lucassen.

Also the mastermind of Stream Of Passion and Star One and Ambeon and a lot other bands.
But IMO his best thing he does it Ayreon.

I guess it doesn't need more introduction.

Personally his best albums are: The Human Equation and Into The Electric Castle because they're both very well balanced.

Go on please...
25.01.2009 - 16:05
annodomini

I was really dissapointed with the latest, so i will recommend "Human Equation" which i think everyone agree to be one of the best progressive metal ever.
----
the riddle wants to be...
02.02.2009 - 01:50
Zmaj Ognjeni Vuk
To Mega Therion
Written by annodomini on 25.01.2009 at 16:05

I was really dissapointed with the latest, so i will recommend "Human Equation" which i think everyone agree to be one of the best progressive metal ever.

How can you be disappointed with 01011001? All those great singers, all that intensity and diversity. Comatose , for example, is orgasmic! Age of Shadows, Beneath the Waves, Ride the Comet, River of Time...all of them are unforgettable! One of the best albums I've ever heard.
----

Opinions are like assholes, everybody has one, and they all stink.
02.02.2009 - 02:25
Zelse

Yea, I was never big on Ayreon until 01011001. It's such an amazing album. It was the one to really get me in the mood to listen to Ayreon more, and I'm really glad I picked it up. Brilliant albums, brilliant songwriter.
02.02.2009 - 17:30
annodomini

Its too much electronic for me. The only songs that worked for me was "Age of Shadows" and "Liquid Eternity". The lyrics are very bad indeed.
----
02.02.2009 - 19:05
Bas
Retired Staff
Written by annodomini on 02.02.2009 at 17:30

Its too much electronic for me. The only songs that worked for me was "Age of Shadows" and "Liquid Eternity". The lyrics are very bad indeed.

too electronic? in my eyes most of what he has ever done has at least small electronic elements scattered over it, including The Human Equation of course, and i really disagree if you'd say that 01011001 has more of it than other albums of his, also i'm guessing you never heard the Ayreon albums Into The Electric Castle and Actual Fantasy
----
BAS - Beautifully Accented Sexiness
02.02.2009 - 20:52
Baz Anderson

"The Final Experiment" is very keyboardy and electronic in that way, but maybe what he means is that "01011001" hasn't perhaps got as much of an edge on it than the others and this is partly to do with use of electronics.
02.02.2009 - 21:32
annodomini

Well Bas you are wrong I have heared all Ayreon albums, Ayreon is one of my favorite bands, however i expresed my self badly. I wonted to say that 01011001 is more electronic than "Human Equation" and maybe not electronic, but spacy, its maybe because i am not a fan of "Sapce" themes in Ayreons creativity. For example Zmaj Ognjeni Vuk have mentioned "Comatose" , this song is a best example why i dont like "0101..." (The electronic) as much as "The Human Equation". And Baz Anderson explains everything well, Where in THE many elements were revolutionary and edge braking, in 0101... they are repeating(Newborn Race, Riverof time).
I agree that this album is great, but its just my oppinion that THE and some others are better.
To make my self clearlier : Comatose, Connect the Dots, Web of Lies - Are the songs I was really surprised when i heared for the first time. I couldn't believe its what Ayreon created.

My thoughts are queit messy, but i wanted to state my oppinion about this album.
----
02.02.2009 - 22:46
Zmaj Ognjeni Vuk
To Mega Therion
Well Connect the Dots and Web of Lies do stand out as different from the whole album. They are, IMHO, the two weakest songs on the album.
----

02.02.2009 - 22:54
Bas
Retired Staff
Ok annodomini if i agree or not i understand your point of view now, i just had a bit difficulties with the "too electronic" statement! but i guess i understand what you mean now

and by the way to shock everyone in this thread, connect the dots is actually one of my favourite songs on 01011001
lyrically it's probably his deepest song (although it seems shallow on the surface but that's EXACTLY what the track is about) and it's really different that's true, but i like it, i think it's a cool song
----
BAS - Beautifully Accented Sexiness
03.02.2009 - 00:55
Zelse

I love Connect the Dots. Great laid back track, very catchy too.
03.02.2009 - 01:22
Zmaj Ognjeni Vuk
To Mega Therion
Written by Zelse on 03.02.2009 at 00:55

I love Connect the Dots. Great laid back track, very catchy too.
I loved it at first, but so did my player for some reason, so I got tired of it after a while.
----

03.02.2009 - 20:59
annodomini

Yesterday, after this discussion, i listened to this album again, before going to sleep, i listened it carefully. There was some moments that i thought i was wrong about this album, but when the second cd came, i understand that i am not. Its somehow boring, i feel like i am improving myself to believe that this is so good, but my mind still tells me that its far from the best Ayreons I dont know why, but both Extinctions are so boring to me, when it has to be the climax of the album.

And is there any news about projects? Maybe Ayreon is planing another new project like SoP or Star One?
----
03.02.2009 - 21:59
Zelse

If I recall correctly, he announced something a while back about something new happening with Ayreon later this year. Always subject to change, though.
03.02.2009 - 23:38
Zmaj Ognjeni Vuk
To Mega Therion
Written by Zelse on 03.02.2009 at 21:59

If I recall correctly, he announced something a while back about something new happening with Ayreon later this year. Always subject to change, though.

Really? Except for making the Timeline compilation, I seem to recall him saying that Ayreon is "on hold: for now.
----

04.02.2009 - 00:37
Zelse

Well, I could be wrong.. maybe I did confuse it with Timeline. I believe that just came out in North America (or is about to)... I need to pick it up.
06.02.2009 - 01:47
Storchillarn

I wonder what ItEC would have sounded like with the singers from 01011001. Because ItEC has the best music but my favorite vocalist line-up has to be the one on 01011001. But maybe the beauty of ItEC is that weird feeling it gives me which probably would'nt be there if it was full of famous singers. =)
09.02.2009 - 18:17
Baz Anderson

Damian Wilson!!! You can't possibly not want this entity of vocal godliness to be on your perfect album.
11.02.2009 - 02:58
john_mcc

I wouldn't call the singer line-up of ItEC obscure... Fish is the most famous singer that Ayreon have ever featured apart from Bruce Dickinson, and then you have Damien Wilson, Anneke Van Giersbergen and Sharon from Within Temptation as well. The one who impressed me the most however was someone who I had never heard of before... Jay Van Fegellen, I loved his swaggering barbarian.
11.02.2009 - 03:04
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by john_mcc on 11.02.2009 at 02:58

Jay Van Fegellen...

Isn't he the vocalist of one of the very early bands Arjen played in? Namely... the almighty (sorry I am Duthc and this was one of the first Dutch heavy metal bands) Bodine?
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

12.02.2009 - 01:19
Storchillarn

Not completely obscure but not nearly as well known, except for Fish maybe. I agree about Jay Van Fegellen, he and Edwin Balog (spelling?) really impressed with their vocals. Damian Wilson is also one hell of a vocalist.
12.02.2009 - 01:56
john_mcc

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 11.02.2009 at 03:04

Written by john_mcc on 11.02.2009 at 02:58

Jay Van Fegellen...

Isn't he the vocalist of one of the very early bands Arjen played in? Namely... the almighty (sorry I am Duthc and this was one of the first Dutch heavy metal bands) Bodine?

I had to look that up, but it seems that you are right... http://www.metal-archives.com/band.php?id=1584
15.02.2009 - 06:05
angelmk
Account deleted
What a great band , excellent Prog metal , facinating musicians on every album ,The Human Equation is my favourite album,01011001 is great, and other albums are good
22.04.2009 - 06:03
Hybris

I have started to listen to Ayreon recently but I can say that I loooove them!
Comatose is awesome, and also from The Human Equation, Pain, Love, Hope, and so on...
I'm really glad to have discover this band =)
----
Opening a new scar, closing the wounds with a knife
31.10.2009 - 19:55
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
I like more than dislike Ayreon...

half of the songs in every album is too much boring to me. The other half is just wonderful. And the best of the best are always in the album's finale: ''Ayreon's Fate'', ''Another Time, Another Space'', ''The First Man On Earth'', ''Day Eleven: Love'' and ''Day Twenty: Confrontation'' (both from the ending of the discs in The Human Equation) and ''The Sixth Extinction'', this last one my personal favorite.
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
01.11.2009 - 01:18
Dcera větru

yeah human equation is one of the best of this band really i dont know so much about them but human equation was one of their albums that i like a lot
----
... I smell the steaming blood...on The way of hunting moon...
01.11.2009 - 01:48
Armisael

Written by Dcera větru on 01.11.2009 at 01:18

yeah human equation is one of the best of this band really i dont know so much about them but human equation was one of their albums that i like a lot

I agree in that opinion too
01.11.2009 - 10:54
Archetype

I didn't get into 01011001 after the first couple of listens so I may have to give it a listen again. The Human Equation however was fantastic and I've yet to hear any of the material previous to that.
06.11.2009 - 02:25
BattleHamster

"Into the Electric Castle" and "The Human Equation" have to be my favorites, along with "01011001," though 01 is partly my favorite because it was my first and also because it's got Hansi, and I'm a shameless Blind Guardian fangirl.
17.11.2009 - 06:41
cold103

I'm looking forward to hearing the Guilt Machine album. Even though the album has been out for months, I haven't listened to it yet. It's because I've been so busy.
18.11.2009 - 15:23
Kei

I just bought the Guild Machine album, and I'm very happy with it. The vocals are beautiful, the songwriting is solid as ever, and... Lori Linstruth. Her guitar playing... she does some strange stuff with those hands, and it's so very delicious.

I have talent goggles, and that isn't to say that Linstruth or any of the other members are unattractive by any means. It is just to say that you can have a great many aesthetic flaws, but talent makes me see nothing but sexy hotness. In this case, they're all pretty good looking to begin with- stop the elevator and bust out the alcohol!

At least I'm not alone, a review of this album said that it was "as good as sticking your dick in peanut butter." I don't have one of those, so I'll just have to settle for my elevator fantasy.
----
Author of Femme Metale on Metal Chicks.
Follow me on Metal Chicks: http://metalchicks.ca/Keinans_Blog/
Facebook:http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=lf#!/?ref=logo
Twitter: @KeinanLynx