[Limited Edition Bonus 7" Vinyl]
01. Jotunblod (Doom)
02. Migration

The Best Black Metal Album Of 2010
Top 20 albums of 2010: 1
Top 200 albums of all time: 126
Featured in "Getting Into: Enslaved"

Additional info
Produced by Ivar Bjørnson Peersen, Grutle Kjellson and Herbrand Larsen.

Staff review by
Daniell
Rating:
Let me tell you how I know that an album is hard to digest but great. When I put it on for the first time, most of the songs blur together, it's impossible to tell them apart. The first impression about the album is accentuated by those cool fragments of songs that remain in my memory. During the second listen I manage to hear most of those fragments. Just when I'm about to play the album for the third time to get those last cool bits, I realise that there are some more cool bits that I picked up during my second listen. With every consecutive listen, the number of cool bits increases, and my mind connects them to respective songs. After 10 listens all bits are in place, the picture is complete and my smile is wider than a six-lane freeway, because the album is brilliant.

Read more ››
published 30.09.2010 | Comments (70)

Guest review by
ponderer
Rating:
Here we are again. I say that because Enslaved are beating the proverbial "Nordic Black Metal" horse to death. It seems like this is becoming a standard out of the Northern European Black Metal scene these days. Scary makeup, growling vocals, droning guitars, and a complete lack of direction other than to throw in some "evil" lyrics. Like anyone will ever go as far as Mercyful Fate did in the 80's lyrically? Doubtful, and I haven't seen anyone do it yet.

Read more ››
published 12.12.2010 | Comments (128)

Guest review by
Metren
Rating:
It is almost certainly true that in each professional musician's life - if they are passionate and serious about their art - comes a point, when they become almost too good at what they do and the result is an album that doesn't take very many risks or doesn't include any truly mind-blowing melodies, riffs, solos, etc. For Enslaved, that point of becoming too good to take risks came with 2010's Axioma Ethica Odini.

Few albums will impress as highly on the first listen as this one, but that's not necessarily a good thing when it comes to (extreme) metal. An initial reaction of "I don't quite get it yet, but it's interesting" holds much more promise of an album becoming a true classic than does "OMG! This is awesome!"

Read more ››
published 20.08.2016 | Comments (24)

Over the last couple records, Enslaved seemed to be moving towards metal middle age... from Black Metal to Black Floyd. AEO sees them continuing the prog path, but at the same time drawing from the best elements of their past work. The tone of this is harsher. At times they show the familiar gallop of their old BM works, at others the weirdness of Monumension and the confidence of Below The Lights. i love this album so much i want to fuck it.

BitterCOld's picks | More picks ››

Found in 115 lists
Top lists

Comments page 6 / 7

Comments: 188   Visited by: 2638 users
28.03.2012 - 14:12
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Written by Troy Killjoy on 28.03.2012 at 00:34

I think this is actually one of Enslaved's more simple albums. You pretty much know what you get after the first listen - it doesn't require a lot of effort because it's more or less straightforward in its somewhat progressive approach to black metal.

Its a simple album indeed. But the thing about this is the fact that it keeps getting better with each successive listen, and what daniell stated in the first paragraph of the review was clearly what i felt when i listened to it. And that might be the reason some people state that it requires more time and stuff like that. Imo It just might be that there are many subtle melodic fragments in between the riffs that sound better after one's ears are aquainted well with the riffs and choruses upon the first few listens.

I've been listening to this for months now and i find it to be the biggest strength of this entire album. And the incredible opening and closing tracks make it an outstanding album if not an instant classic.
28.03.2012 - 17:35
Rating: 9
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Written by 3rdWorld on 28.03.2012 at 14:12

Its a simple album indeed. But the thing about this is the fact that it keeps getting better with each successive listen, and what daniell stated in the first paragraph of the review was clearly what i felt when i listened to it. And that might be the reason some people state that it requires more time and stuff like that. Imo It just might be that there are many subtle melodic fragments in between the riffs that sound better after one's ears are aquainted well with the riffs and choruses upon the first few listens.

I've been listening to this for months now and i find it to be the biggest strength of this entire album. And the incredible opening and closing tracks make it an outstanding album if not an instant classic.

I also found it an outstanding album and I didn't realize it after a few listens.
But some songs became really tiring after a while, I had to stop listening to it.
28.03.2012 - 18:36
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Written by Unhealer on 28.03.2012 at 17:35

I also found it an outstanding album and I didn't realize it after a few listens.
But some songs became really tiring after a while, I had to stop listening to it.

Indeed. Whenever i feel like getting back at this, tracks 1,3,7 and 9 are the ones i pick.
28.03.2012 - 18:47
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Written by 3rdWorld on 28.03.2012 at 18:36

Indeed. Whenever i feel like getting back at this, tracks 1,3,7 and 9 are the ones i pick.

Well, in my case I almost hate Lightening by now And that was the track that got me into this album (and Enslaved).
Ironically, at first I didn't really get into The Beacon and now it is probably my favorite. Such a groovy song.
28.03.2012 - 18:55
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Written by Unhealer on 28.03.2012 at 18:47

Well, in my case I almost hate Lightening by now And that was the track that got me into this album (and Enslaved).
Ironically, at first I didn't really get into The Beacon and now it is probably my favorite. Such a groovy song.

And like that we can go on to heap praise on our fav songs cuz this one is simply a mindblowing album.

Dammit i hav all their albums except the first four and i think i will start with Vertebrae tonight.
28.03.2012 - 21:31
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Written by 3rdWorld on 28.03.2012 at 18:36

Nice. I love track 4, my fav on the album!!
----
rekt
01.06.2012 - 00:10
neiluria

Fucking awesome
20.08.2012 - 16:47
musicalkaratekid

The atmosphere on this album is so brilliant and epic, and even the diverse nature of each song contributes to the Progressive side of this album. 'Night Sight' and 'Singular' are somehow relaxing yet still thrilling, and the opening forces of 'Ethica Odini' and marvellous closer 'Lightening' give a grandiose finish. It's surely one of the best metal albums since 2010, and most definitely one of the best Enslaved albums.
05.09.2012 - 09:22
Rating: 10
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
Just started listening to this album this week and after half a dozen listens, I'm very impressed. As a fan of prog rock, there is so much to love here. Very glad I decided to get this album. It's still growing on me so I'm hoping it has staying power.
----
The sun shines over The Fool...
05.09.2012 - 14:52
BlueMobius
Account deleted
Written by tea[m]ster on 28.03.2012 at 21:31

I love track 4, my fav on the album!!

Yeah, "The Beacon" is one of my favorites on this album too. It's very memorable and slightly hypnotic.
07.09.2012 - 03:17
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Written by Guest on 05.09.2012 at 14:52

Yeah, "The Beacon" is one of my favorites on this album too. It's very memorable and slightly hypnotic.

Yea man, it's very noteworthy, I mean, the song stands OUT = Riff-tastic!
----
rekt
07.09.2012 - 03:21
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Written by Ace Frawley on 05.09.2012 at 09:22

Just started listening to this album this week and after half a dozen listens, I'm very impressed. As a fan of prog rock, there is so much to love here. Very glad I decided to get this album. It's still growing on me so I'm hoping it has staying power.

I have been saying this forever: I am not a black metal fan AT ALL. I do like some bands that have sub-genres of BM in them like atmospheric black or blackened sludge. This is why I like Enslaved. Their music is filled with enough other ingrediants that keep me hooked.
----
rekt
07.09.2012 - 08:35
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
Written by tea[m]ster on 07.09.2012 at 03:21

I have been saying this forever: I am not a black metal fan AT ALL. I do like some bands that have sub-genres of BM in them like atmospheric black or blackened sludge. This is why I like Enslaved. Their music is filled with enough other ingrediants that keep me hooked.

I think we might be on the same wavelength. This album doesn't strike me as a black metal album but feels like progressive rock (or progressive metal if you want to use that term). The rough vocals sound like the raspy-style that is common in black metal. The music itself definitely feels like prog rock to me. At times it reminded me a bit of the proggy stuff Mastodon have done. All things said and done, I think it is brilliant stuff, no matter how you want to define it. Probably the best album I've listened to this year.
----
28.09.2012 - 08:30
Nightfall

Just rushed through some of their albums and I can really say this is good stuff. Can't wait to give these more detailed listens.
20.01.2013 - 02:16
king_matt

WOW. After just a few listens this has become one of my favorite black metal albums. I am definitely gonna have to check out their other albums sometime soon.
----
http://www.last.fm/user/King_Matt
27.01.2013 - 13:44
Kocha

At first, I thought it was very good and I gave it a 9, but after listening to it few more times I changed my mind and gave it a perfect 10. But I do not think that this is a perfect album, it's just that this progressive black thing really works for me. Highly recommended for anyone, especially for those not into black metal.
25.05.2013 - 03:48
Lastone

A masterpiece! Still listen to this weekly.
05.07.2013 - 14:59
mz

Next mission: getting into enslaved
I listened to this album back in 2010 and remember enjoying it. Giving it another try today and I am completely blown away
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
06.07.2013 - 01:03
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
Written by mz on 05.07.2013 at 14:59

I listened to this album back in 2010 and remember enjoying it. Giving it another try today and I am completely blown away

Yep, getting into Enslaved is great fun. Incredible band. And this album is simply great - no doubt about it.
----
06.07.2013 - 01:58
mz

Written by Ace Frawley on 06.07.2013 at 01:03

Written by mz on 05.07.2013 at 14:59

Yep, getting into Enslaved is great fun. Incredible band. And this album is simply great - no doubt about it.

Isa is the next.
Now that opeth have moved out of extreme metal realm, enslaved can be my next favorite extreme prog band
----
06.07.2013 - 11:33
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
Written by mz on 06.07.2013 at 01:58

Isa is the next.
Now that opeth have moved out of extreme metal realm, enslaved can be my next favorite extreme prog band

You won't be disappointed. For me, Enslaved are at the forefront of prog rock today.
----
06.07.2013 - 16:15
mz

Written by Ace Frawley on 06.07.2013 at 11:33

Written by mz on 06.07.2013 at 01:58

Isa is the next.

You won't be disappointed. For me, Enslaved are at the forefront of prog rock today.

They are sure great band (I have gave some songs of Isa some listens and they are amazing) but calling them prog rock isn't a little inappropriate?
----
07.07.2013 - 00:40
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
Written by mz on 06.07.2013 at 16:15

They are sure great band (I have gave some songs of Isa some listens and they are amazing) but calling them prog rock isn't a little inappropriate?

Okay, extreme prog rock then. I think the music is prog rock with harsh vocals. I wouldn't get too hung up on the terms though, as they have different meanings to different people. As long as we recognise that the music is brilliant and we love it then it doesn't matter what we call it.
----
24.02.2014 - 05:15
Lit.
Account deleted
I'm sure it's already been established somewhere, but that riff in the first track is godlike.
22.04.2014 - 21:17
Jaeryd
Nihil's Maw
Giants is easily the most epic song on the album.
----
23.09.2014 - 17:21
Maco
Pvt Funderground
Nope. That might be Lightening.
----
Crackhead Megadeth reigns supreme.
01.10.2014 - 18:57
musclassia

^Agree with the above poster, listened to the album for the first time in a while; found I liked the album even more than I remembered doing previously, but my favourite song remains Lightening - just emphatic
22.11.2014 - 09:27
Rating: 8
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
Finally gotten around to buying this album after seeing a used copy at FYE. I can't believe I've been putting them off for so long (nothing bad about their music, just didn't feel that immediate attachment at first). It's a grower, but I think it's excellent, and it's convinced me to get more of their work in the future. Definitely needs some repeated listens, but I love what I hear, there are really no bad moments on here as far as I'm concerned. "Waruun" and "Night Sight" are a couple of my favorites.

In fact, fuck it, I literally can't think of anything bad or "meh" about this album, this is just amazing. 10/10
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
23.11.2014 - 09:49
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
Written by CobiWan1993 on 22.11.2014 at 09:27

Finally gotten around to buying this album after seeing a used copy at FYE. I can't believe I've been putting them off for so long (nothing bad about their music, just didn't feel that immediate attachment at first). It's a grower, but I think it's excellent, and it's convinced me to get more of their work in the future. Definitely needs some repeated listens, but I love what I hear, there are really no bad moments on here as far as I'm concerned. "Waruun" and "Night Sight" are a couple of my favorites.

Welcome to the party. I'm a recent arrival to Enslaved and I think they are now my favourite band.
----
19.01.2015 - 20:13
flightoficarus
Stamp Tramp
Huge improvement over Vertebrae. New energy, better harnessing of the clean vocal hooks, and great performances from both the drums and guitar. It's still no Frost, but it's pretty amazing for a band of 17+ years.
----
Daily underground metal recommendations at Metal Trenches.
Watch metal content on the Metal Trenches YouTube Channel.

Hits total: 56027 | This month: 58