04. When 1000 Crypts Awake
05. Despise The "Living"
06. A Midnight Poem
07. Rest In Oblivion
08. Vanitas... No Horizons
09. Like A Somnambulist In Daylight's Fire
10. Sleep!
11. Endtime [bonus]

I'm not the biggest fan of Black Metal that exists, as a matter of fact, I could hardly be considered a "Blackster", never burned a church or had a inverted cross, never had any corspepaint on me, and I don't like to wear spikes or any other war related "souvenirs", and while those things may sound a little cliché, that's the way Black Metal has become lately: Cliché, I can hardly name bands that aren't copying others, and let's face it, there are a zillion Black Metal bands around, so is hard to choose who's original or not?.

So it came the day when I had this album in my hands, Dark Fortress, a new band to me, although this is their third full-length album. The album had an stunning cover art that draw my attention from the first minute, later I discovered that the design was done by no one than artist extraordinaire Travis Smith.

Is important to clarify here, Dark Fortress doesn't play any "new" kind of Black Metal, they just play an Old School Black Metal with style, attitude and a lot of creativity in songwriting and musicianship. Each song is a killer one, and each one differs from the next, variation is the key in this album.

"Iconoclast Omega" opens the album with furious pace and great tempo changes, the song is so varied; you have blast beats, melodic parts, some catchy riffs and even a sound sample of a serial killer or something like that, really creepy. Things slow down with "Self Mutilation" another great song, more mid tempo. Title song "Stab Wounds" is another excellent example of the talent of these Germans, "When 1000 Crypts Awake" is a catchy Black Metal song with excellent variations, as always.

The best thing of this band is that the songs don't go blasting all the way through, they have some moodier moments, catchy parts, guitar solos, keyboards, etc, each song has many moods and changes, making them really interesting.

A couple of surprises in the album also, we can hear Herr Morbid from Forgotten Tomb doing guest vocals in "Like A Somnambulist?" and as a bonus track, "Endtime" a cover of Katatonia , done in the Dark Fortress way of course.

I'm lucky to have in my hands now the best Black Metal release of the year, definitively Dark Fortress will not pass unnoticed in the Metal community, bands with excellent songwriting and superb talent rarely go unnoticed and I hope that Dark Fortress will be no exception.

Written by Undercraft | 18.11.2004

Comments

Comments: 5   Visited by: 72 users
19.08.2006 - 15:48
Passenger
Lost To Apathy
My new favourite Black Metal band.
----
You don't make up for your sins in church. You do it in the streets. You do it at home. The rest is bullshit and you know it ~ Mean Streets
19.08.2006 - 16:09
Damnated
Churchburner
I heard Séance , but fell asleep in the middle of listening to it. What I've heard from it, I liked it though. I have to give this a listen aswel.
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
18.11.2007 - 15:17
Rating: 9
Olli

This album is awesome
----
When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened for us."
26.02.2008 - 20:06
vargmetaleux
Account deleted
After making a conscious effort to hear this album i would say that this album is: varied certainly but i found the true version of dark fortress after listening to the excellent 9th title "like a ..."
18.09.2008 - 07:11
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
very nice album, not a 9 /10, but sure an 8.. i prefer ''Tales From Eternal Dusk''
it was cool in the first song ''If i start to murderin people..''
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/

Hits total: 7515 | This month: 4