Agalloch - The Mantle

9.2 | 1752 votes |
Release date: 13 August 2002
Style: Neofolk, Atmospheric black metal

Owners:

1804 have it
180 want it
3 trade it

01. A Celebration For The Death Of Man...
02. In The Shadow Of Our Pale Companion
03. Odal
04. I Am The Wooden Doors
05. The Lodge
06. You Were But A Ghost In My Arms
07. The Hawthorne Passage
08. ...And The Great Cold Death Of The Earth
09. A Desolation Song

Top 20 albums of 2002: 1
Top 200 albums of all time: 10
Featured in "Getting Into: Agalloch"

Line-up
John Haughm - vocals, guitars, drums, percussion, ebow, woodchimes, samples
Donald L. Anderson - guitars, piano
Jason William Walton - bass, noisescape

Additional musicians:
Danielle Norton - trombone
Ty Brubaker - double bass, accordion
Ronn Chick - synths, mandolin, bells, programming
Aaron Sholes - samples
Neta Smolack - samples

Staff review by
Dream Taster
Rating:
In the true musical lineage of Opeth and Katatonia, Agalloch is one of these mystic and melancholic bands, excelling at playing a smart blend of Doom Metal and few elements from Melodic Death Metal, such as the voice a la Dark Tranquillity. Established as one of the best combos in their style and one of America's most interesting bands, Agalloch was founded in Portland, Oregon in late 1995. After a couple of demos, they scored a deal with The End Records in 1998 and their debut album Pale Folklore was released in 1999. In 2001, a limited MCD entitled Of Stone, Wind and Pillor was released and they then worked on today's chapter, their second full-length album, The Mantle. Agalloch is composed by John Haughm , Don Anderson and Jason William Walton .

Read more ››
published 03.06.2004 | Comments (20)

Guest review by
telephonebear
Rating:
Agalloch are a band that I have only recently started listening to, but they are the first band in a long time that I have fallen in love with instantly. Most of my favourites have grown on me overtime but there was something about The Mantle that captured me immediately.

I tend to listen to cleaner vocal songs, although there are death metal bands I like, but I thought I would be put off by Haughm's raspy blackened vocals. Instead I found them really beautiful the way they weave in and out of the music. That was the thing that struck me most about Agalloch: the beauty of it. The general formula seems to be power chords on electric guitar with gentle twangy acoustic melodies over the top. This works really nicely and the juxtaposition of the heavy and the soft is mirrored when Haugm's vocals become more tuneful. The first time this occurs is in "In The Shadow of Our Pale Companion"-the magnum opus of the album and Agalloch's best along with "Not Unlike the Waves" four years later. The rasps and whispers build up to an epic sounding tuneful cry which gives me shivers every time. The vocals then vary between these two styles, as well as monotone almost talking and whispers through the rest of the album, in a very fluid way. There is no clean verse to harsh verse pattern; it all blends into each other.

Read more ››
published 30.01.2014 | Comments (23)

It is only now that I realize how ironic it is that one of the most wintery albums out there was released in the summer. The August from 20 years ago gave us this masterpiece, and this is one of those kind of albums where it's very uncontroversial to call it as such. "In The Shadow Of Our Pale Companion" only gets competition from "East Hastings" as my favorite song of all time, and I've mentioned time and time again how discovering this album about ten years ago was a paradigm shift for me and my music taste. It's interesting see how I still connect to The Mantle after all these years, even though sometimes I feel it's either too pompous or meandering for its own good, there are very few albums with such a great interplay between electric and acoustic guitars, and that so effectively merge atmospheric black metal into post-rock structures. And all of it feels magical years later.

RaduP's picks | More picks ››

Found in 167 lists
Top lists

Comments page 3 / 5

Comments: 142   Visited by: 3189 users
03.03.2014 - 17:00
Gawain
Account deleted
I love, love, love this album. It was my introduction to Agalloch and I remember the day I first grabbed it vividly. It was raining and as I listened to it I could hear the heavy rain on top of it. It created an atmosphere I still remember to this day whenever I listen to it. It gives me chills.

One of the few albums I can say is a 'classic' of metal and music in whole.
19.03.2014 - 13:10
Rating: 9
Monolithic
♠♠♠
Written by Guest on 03.03.2014 at 17:00

I love, love, love this album. It was my introduction to Agalloch and I remember the day I first grabbed it vividly. It was raining and as I listened to it I could hear the heavy rain on top of it. It created an atmosphere I still remember to this day whenever I listen to it. It gives me chills.

Pretty much the same case for me, of course it was a hazy evening in Dubai and I was listening to it while I was studying calculus on the bus and I was on my way to the institute.
29.03.2014 - 22:19
Erik M.

Written by Guest on 23.03.2012 at 21:15

Neither do I ;]

It pains me to say this, but you just lost a part of your credibility.
29.03.2014 - 22:30
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Erik M. on 29.03.2014 at 22:19

It pains me to say this, but you just lost a part of your credibility.

My 5 score is incredibly harsh. While I don't find them that exciting I can tell it's quality stuff. This album is overdue for a re-listen anyway.
30.03.2014 - 17:16
Erik M.

Written by Guest on 29.03.2014 at 22:30

My 5 score is incredibly harsh. While I don't find them that exciting I can tell it's quality stuff. This album is overdue for a re-listen anyway.

A 5 is indeed a harsh score for an album like this. Good to hear you're giving it a second (?) chance.
30.03.2014 - 17:49
Rating: 10
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick

Ah I'm very glad to hear you say that.
This album really holds a special place in my heart. From the first time I heard it, and with every single subsequent listen, I've felt an emotional attachment which only about four other albums can evoke.
30.03.2014 - 17:54
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Alex F on 30.03.2014 at 17:49

Ah I'm very glad to hear you say that.
This album really holds a special place in my heart. From the first time I heard it, and with every single subsequent listen, I've felt an emotional attachment which only about four other albums can evoke.

I don't think I could ever get that kind of connection from it. I think that kind of thing only happens at certain stages of music listening, and I'm probably far too old and jaded and have all those albums under my belt already
01.04.2014 - 21:12
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
I love it... and I'm glad it took me so long to check out becayse after doing that I realised it's real impact on quite a few bands. I really like how sometimes it feels like it's only 50% metal and 50% neo-folk. The balance is fantastic and their use fo acoustic guitars is perfect.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
01.04.2014 - 22:10
mz

Written by X-Ray Rod on 01.04.2014 at 21:12

their use fo acoustic guitars is perfect.

Totally agreed, the best usage of acoustic guitars in metal I've heard.
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
03.05.2014 - 15:45
Sonic MrSumo

Written by Guest on 30.03.2014 at 17:54

I don't think I could ever get that kind of connection from it. I think that kind of thing only happens at certain stages of music listening, and I'm probably far too old and jaded and have all those albums under my belt already

I to am old and jaded, and found this record well into my musical journey...but for me, it was instant captivation and awe!
----
All the bridges in the world won't save you, if there's no other side to cross to.
- Rock poetry from Silverchair.
15.05.2014 - 06:37
Maco
Pvt Funderground
All I can say is that this album (with its predecessor) is and will be a part of me forever.
----
Crackhead Megadeth reigns supreme.
09.10.2014 - 16:39
SongsOfDarkness
Account deleted
Written by Maco on 15.05.2014 at 06:37

All I can say is that this album (with its predecessor) is and will be a part of me forever.

Agree.
18.10.2014 - 18:49
SongsOfDarkness
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 03.03.2014 at 17:00

That's just beautiful I see this and other albums the same way. It has an unique atmosphere, you need to experience it, like a good Death/Doom album.
14.12.2014 - 22:13
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 31.01.2014 at 06:43

No Agalloch album has failed me yet!

EP's and later ones are weaker IMO
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
26.12.2014 - 19:17
Rating: 7
NorthernDickhead

Why must be everything with shrieking vocals labeled as Black Metal? With this,there's almost more clean vocals than harsh...
20.01.2015 - 23:11
Erik M.

And did you revisit it?
20.01.2015 - 23:13
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Erik M. on 20.01.2015 at 23:11

And did you revisit it?

Noooope ^_^
20.01.2015 - 23:22
Erik M.

Written by Guest on 20.01.2015 at 23:13

Noooope ^_^

10.02.2015 - 19:35
me<3mertl

Listening to this album was the weirdest thing in my life.I went through about half of it and was like:"Why is this considered such a good album? It's boring and repetitive",but then after a few more songs I realized my mood was changing according to the song's mood.I couldn't believe it!This isn't and album you listen to,this is an album you feel and live through and I love it for that.
12.07.2015 - 02:08
musclassia

AATG got me into Agalloch, and it is truly one of the greatest metal albums that exists, but this album is somehow even better. A Desolation Song is somewhat dispensable, and the album might arguably be slightly stronger with its absence in terms of 'perfection', but the rest of the album is so truly extraordinary that there's not much else to say about the album except - 'glorious'. A marvel of musical composition, fusion of neofolk, acoustic guitars and atmosphere with blast beats and BM shrieks in a way that shall likely never be matched. They've released marvellous music since (particularly on the otherwordly AATG), but this album secured Agalloch's place in history with its release. In The Shadow..., Odal and The Hawthorne Passage just by themselves practically defy belief, and including Wooden Doors, Ghost In Your Arms and The Great Cold Death, plus the rest, just oh my
12.07.2015 - 05:24
Ganondox

Written by musclassia on 12.07.2015 at 02:08

AATG got me into Agalloch, and it is truly one of the greatest metal albums that exists, but this album is somehow even better. A Desolation Song is somewhat dispensable, and the album might arguably be slightly stronger with its absence in terms of 'perfection', but the rest of the album is so truly extraordinary that there's not much else to say about the album except - 'glorious'. A marvel of musical composition, fusion of neofolk, acoustic guitars and atmosphere with blast beats and BM shrieks in a way that shall likely never be matched. They've released marvellous music since (particularly on the otherwordly AATG), but this album secured Agalloch's place in history with its release. In The Shadow..., Odal and The Hawthorne Passage just by themselves practically defy belief, and including Wooden Doors, Ghost In Your Arms and The Great Cold Death, plus the rest, just oh my

I completely disagree that A Desolation Song is dispensable, it has a very important part in the album. It's supposed to sound notably different from the rest of the album, it's the acoustic closer of the album as a whole. Really without A Desolation Song the album is just a bunch of similar sounding songs rather than a complete album. Beautiful songs, but similar sounding none the less.
12.07.2015 - 11:03
musclassia

Written by Ganondox on 12.07.2015 at 05:24

I completely disagree that A Desolation Song is dispensable, it has a very important part in the album. It's supposed to sound notably different from the rest of the album, it's the acoustic closer of the album as a whole. Really without A Desolation Song the album is just a bunch of similar sounding songs rather than a complete album. Beautiful songs, but similar sounding none the less.

Ha, that was a nice little drunken rambling there last night. Hmm, I mean it is different and I suppose it does act as a nice counterpoint to the rest of the album, I just always found it to be a kinda weird song and one that I was never fully keen on. Occasionally I've finished listening to the album with ...And The Great Cold Death and it sounds like a really nice cohesive package. Desolation Song adds a different dimension, but a somewhat imperfect one for me that almost takes away as much as it adds.
10.10.2015 - 07:32
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
Written by NorthernDickhead on 26.12.2014 at 19:17

Why must be everything with shrieking vocals labeled as Black Metal? With this,there's almost more clean vocals than harsh...

I think you'll find that most people don't actually consider this a black metal album. The band even stated that at the time they were more into post-rock like Godspeed You! Black Emperor rather than metal
20.03.2016 - 00:34
Bad English
Tage Westerlund

AATG got me into Agalloch,

same here it was mate Lupas who had this lbum artwork a goat and hors, it was awesome, at first I thought some shity metalcore band , I tried then I knew its a great one, I thought its Norwegian, then I found out its an USA band from Oragon... maybe one of bets discoveries in my life thanks to this site
----

apos;'
[image]
20.03.2016 - 03:09
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Bad English on 20.03.2016 at 00:34

same here it was mate Lupas who had this lbum artwork a goat and hors, it was awesome, at first I thought some shity metalcore band , I tried then I knew its a great one, I thought its Norwegian, then I found out its an USA band from Oragon... maybe one of bets discoveries in my life thanks to this site

How the bleep is the artwork of aatg a goat and horse?
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

20.03.2016 - 03:12
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 20.03.2016 at 03:09

hat artwork what MS has, isn't it goat ? and horns. BTW when Lupas introduced me whit it I thought its so unmetal , good I listened it I was stupid at age 22
----

apos;'
[image]
24.03.2016 - 06:44
Sang Dalang Abu

Written by Bad English on 20.03.2016 at 03:12

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 20.03.2016 at 03:09

hat artwork what MS has, isn't it goat ? and horns. BTW when Lupas introduced me whit it I thought its so unmetal , good I listened it I was stupid at age 22

ummmmmm are u still Bad English at 22?
06.04.2016 - 00:12
Pikemaster

Written by Alex F on 10.10.2015 at 07:32

Written by NorthernDickhead on 26.12.2014 at 19:17

I think you'll find that most people don't actually consider this a black metal album. The band even stated that at the time they were more into post-rock like Godspeed You! Black Emperor rather than metal

This is where Ms genre system fails again. This band isn't really black metal. Many bands in here get that tag to easily.
----
"Soon its tail raises the mud
The beast is ready for attack
The reel screams the line beings to run
And the struggle shall begin"
26.08.2016 - 18:41
Metren
Dreadrealm
I'm finally, very very slowly learning to appreciate this album and this band. Can't wait for the right moment to listen to this in the winter by the fireplace with a glass of mulled wine in my hand.
----
My one-man project's Bandcamp with free downloads: https://dreadrealm.bandcamp.com/
03.09.2016 - 16:44
VIG
Account deleted
10000000000000000000000000000000000000/10

Hits total: 81847 | This month: 263