09. In Longing Spirit [reissue bonus]
10. Opus A Satana [reissue bonus]
11. The Loss And Curse Of Reverence [live] [reissue bonus]

Top 20 albums of 1997: 1
Top 200 albums of all time: 58

Guest review by
dark awakening
Rating:
I started listening to Emperor with the last work of the band: Prometheus. Yes, that album was good, but there were too much "addings" that shouldn't be found in a Black Metal album in general. I appreciate the progressive elements though in some parts of the disc. Hearing this I was a little sceptic about the other Emperor works, but at the same time curious.

Read more ››
published 07.02.2007 | Comments (23)

Guest review by
Maasai Mara
Rating:
In our lives, sometimes we are unlucky enough to meet bastards who make us feel that, for certain, hell must be real and such characters are subject to eternal damnation. Think of all liars, charlatans and philanderers that you have met, who swindled money out of you, stole shit from you or subjected you to all sorts of lies and betrayal. Now, with the feeling of rage bringing your blood to the boil, think that there can be a bunch of worse people and there, my friend, you meet Emperor and their sophomore album.

Read more ››
published 26.03.2019 | Comments (46)

Found in 102 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 47   Visited by: 2041 users
24.07.2010 - 21:21
Rating: 10
Got Mayhem?

One of those albums that blows you away no matter how many times you've listened to it. Quite literally timeless. I'm not really sure why some people give this masterpiece so much flak. Musicianship is breathtaking, production is decent (great compared to their contemporaries...), and the songwriting is very professional.
----
09.03.2011 - 00:17
Destructhor

This is a black metal cult classic, HAIL THE DARK GODS... \\m//
26.03.2011 - 12:08
TormentorOCS

As important an album to metal history as any of black sabbaths albums, but i feel like i'm in the minority that i feel in the nightside eclipse is a better album.
20.10.2011 - 14:49
RajaKafir

The Loss and Curse of Reverence \m/
01.08.2012 - 18:46
RAMBOBG

Every single song from this album rocks!
02.10.2012 - 21:31
LordHypnos
Account deleted
"Honour. Commended no longer as virtue.
Yet, shalt be extolled by light's demise!" Epic!
23.10.2012 - 03:49
Rating: 8
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
This album is awesome, even though it's not my favorite Emperor release. The mixing on the vocals makes it sound buried underneath the music, even more so than on "In The Nightside Eclipse" to be honest. I found that to be a distracting factor, because Ihsahn's vocals are among the best in black metal. Nonetheless, this is great.
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
23.10.2012 - 09:06
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
Written by TormentorOCS on 26.03.2011 at 12:08

As important an album to metal history as any of black sabbaths albums, but i feel like i'm in the minority that i feel in the nightside eclipse is a better album.

A lot of other Emperor fans think so as well.
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
09.11.2012 - 19:03
Rating: 7
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
I can definitely see the musicianship in this release but I still cannot fathom why the shitty production and the indiscernible instruments is a desirable factor....I guess black metal just isn't for me.
23.02.2013 - 17:00
Erik M.

Written by LeKiwi on 09.11.2012 at 19:03

I can definitely see the musicianship in this release but I still cannot fathom why the shitty production and the indiscernible instruments is a desirable factor....I guess black metal just isn't for me.

Shitty production? I don't see what you're on about here to be honest... if you don't like this at all, then I guess symphonic black metal indeed isn't your thing, because it doesn't get much better than this.

Anyway, like their debut, this album is totally amazing... although I like this one less than Into The Nightside Eclipse.
23.02.2013 - 20:39
Rating: 7
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Written by Erik M. on 23.02.2013 at 17:00

Shitty production? I don't see what you're on about here to be honest... if you don't like this at all, then I guess symphonic black metal indeed isn't your thing, because it doesn't get much better than this.

Anyway, like their debut, this album is totally amazing.

Edit: Production isn't shitty and the instruments are rather discernible

November was a depressing time with exams and the like, probably took out my frustrations through disdainful posts on Metal Storm :S
28.11.2013 - 21:34
schlakt

I ruined the "666 votes" but i fucking love this album, so it's okey i guess.
30.11.2013 - 10:57
Himedal

Fucking perfect \\m//
----
What goes by is life to be taken
The doom calls upon the forsaken
30.11.2013 - 10:58
Himedal

Dude, you guess just right.
----
What goes by is life to be taken
The doom calls upon the forsaken
30.11.2013 - 16:15
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
If someone thinks the instruments on this release are indiscernible I'd hate to see them struggle with raw black metal.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
11.05.2014 - 15:36
Rating: 9
Sang Dalang Abu

Perfect Album
All songs so fuckin' great.Best of the best Black metal album of all time. :
16.09.2014 - 15:28
musicalkaratekid

Every bit as good as the band's debut in my opinion, though it seems to me like Emperor's sophomore effort has more experimentation going on. This all contributes to another excellent set of symphonic black metal songs however, and what I love more than anything is the melodic, atmospheric mid-sections of "The Loss of Curse and Revenence" and "In Longing Spirit". That said, my personal highlights are definitely "Ye Entrancemperium", "The Loss of Curse and Revenance" and "With Strength I Burn".
19.09.2014 - 01:46
psykometal
A staff guy...
Written by musicalkaratekid on 16.09.2014 at 15:28

"The Loss of Curse and Revenence"
"The Loss of Curse and Revenance"

*The Loss and Curse of Reverence

This is my fave Emperor album as well.
----
~Zep, Database and Forum Moderation~

20.09.2014 - 21:29
musicalkaratekid

Written by psykometal on 19.09.2014 at 01:46

Written by musicalkaratekid on 16.09.2014 at 15:28

"The Loss of Curse and Revenence"
"The Loss of Curse and Revenance"

*The Loss and Curse of Reverence

This is my fave Emperor album as well.

Damn, that amazed by the album I forgot the word order haha.
31.10.2014 - 14:49
garmling
Account deleted
Fucking time makes you forget everything, at least for a time...what a philosophical phrase today I was digging through my music library and I stumbled at this one...long time passed since I've heard this album, so it was time to recollect some memories... oh man, this was a total blast! this album is beyond words! this is the real meaning of perfection! aggression, atmosphere, structure...just everything fits inhere! even the production, which is in general bad (some drum parts are barely audible and so are vocals in some parts), adds some stylistic flavor to a whole thing which makes aggression even more furious! this is truly a masterpiece! fuck, this is classic stuff man! highly recommended!
04.06.2015 - 05:18
ATG

Pure black metal masterpiece the ultimate album for any one who wants to hear true Norwegian Black Metal
11.07.2015 - 08:30
Maco
Pvt Funderground
Oh, I remember the first time I heard Ye Entrancemperium just after the quiet first track. My head exploded while my ears were being punished by the drums.

It was a total eargasm pleasure, well the rest of the album was excellent too, but that was what I remember the most of it.
----
Crackhead Megadeth reigns supreme.
11.07.2015 - 13:10
psykometal
A staff guy...
^Agreed. Definitely my favorite Emperor album. \m/
----
~Zep, Database and Forum Moderation~

14.06.2016 - 20:17
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
It was a while, still good one, a bit avantgard sound and nice aragments. Not many can understand such music, ppl n eeds raw sound, grwols, this is why I like Emperor
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
28.08.2016 - 18:22
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
How more people don't find this a profound disappointment after Nightside is something I'll never get. It's like they abandoned everything good about Nightside to make this album, the biggest thing being atmosphere.
29.08.2016 - 03:40
Rating: 6
Metren
Dreadrealm
I guess I am in the minority here, but I sort of agree with JOOE, NIghtside is by far the better album.
----
My one-man project's Bandcamp with free downloads: https://dreadrealm.bandcamp.com/
12.09.2016 - 19:07
Zap
I always though the first and last Emperor albums are the best. The ones in between are good but they're trying shit and it's not always working.
27.06.2018 - 03:07
VIG
Account deleted
Nothing special here, very boring pile of crap. Nightside is for sure the better album.
01.11.2018 - 18:44
Rating: 6
Metren
Dreadrealm
Written by Guest on 27.06.2018 at 03:07

Nothing special here, very boring pile of crap. Nightside is for sure the better album.

I agree with "nothing special", but I wouldn't exactly call it a pile of crap. Your brutal honesty, though is - as always - refreshing and hilarious
----
My one-man project's Bandcamp with free downloads: https://dreadrealm.bandcamp.com/
01.11.2018 - 19:03
VIG
Account deleted
Written by Metren on 01.11.2018 at 18:44

I agree with "nothing special", but I wouldn't exactly call it a pile of crap. Your brutal honesty, though is - as always - refreshing and hilarious

Brutal honestly Thank you

Yeah, I guess if it was a pile of crap it would be more of a 5/10. I really like the technicality, but the production and some of the songwriting absolutely sucks.

Hits total: 38975 | This month: 117