Finland
Spinefarm Records

Line-up on the CD:
Pekka Kokko - vocals, guitar
Antti Kokko - lead guitar
Timo "Lede" Lehtinen - bass
Marco Sneck - keyboards
Janne Kusmin - drums

Alas, the almighty swamp metal titans Kalmah grace us with their sixth full-length release, entitled 12 Gauge. (Before listening to this album I was immediately turned off by the name of the album.) Ever one to worry about band's changing directions for the worst (see: Cryptopsy's The Unspoken King), the hairs stood up slightly on my neck upon reading the title of an album named after everyone's least favorite gun to use in Counter-Strike - next to the Ingram MAC-10 at least. Needless to say, I was pleased to discover Kalmah continued with their efforts regarding melodic death metal, further establishing themselves as one of metal's most popular and talented outfits.

So what gives? I know one should never invest such an interest in the title of an album (looking at you, Ozzy fans), but Kalmah have made a career based on their self-appointed swamp metal, and now we're listening to an album named after a gun that doesn't even relate to the grime and gruel of a swamp?! Bah! Onto the music...

12 Gauge is an incredibly energetic release from the outset - "Rust Never Sleeps" kicks things off with epic melodies, P. Kokko's immense growls, and some very nice (though slightly cheesy) keyboard work. And those are the defining characteristics on which this album is built: melody, growls, keyboards, rinse and repeat. Throw in some of the edge from thrash metal and we're good to go.

Early Children Of Bodom anyone?

Kalmah's strongest asset is undoubtedly their intensity, which is ever present, made more so by the battle-anthem worthy "Bullets Are Blind" and the self-titled track's fist-pumping conclusion. While the album contains various filler tracks throughout, there is enough aggression and charisma to surpass the somewhat disappointing For The Revolution, though this is still a far cry from the grandeur of their back catalog. There seems to be an overall shortage of outstanding moments on this album, and unfortunately that hampers the efforts of these renowned Finns. It isn't completely generic or over-the-top "been there, done that", but the addition of another instrument or vocalist could shake things up enough for Kalmah to continue as a relevant melodic death metal outfit. That, or focus on improving the guitar solos. A. Kokko has proven his capability as a guitarist and inherently as a talented soloist, but his work on this release seems forced and uninspired.

Without any indication of evolution, Kalmah is poised to become the next Dark Tranquillity: repetitive song structures and unaltered production, but somehow still accessible enough to please the vast majority of metalheads.

Maybe the band members are preparing something special for their next release.

Maybe the swamp has finally dried up.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 7
Originality: 6
Production: 7

Written on 25.07.2010 by I'm total pro; that's what I'm here for.

Comments page 2 / 3

Comments: 80   Visited by: 514 users
28.07.2010 - 15:22
bluemobiusx
Account deleted
Well almost every other metal site gave this album a 80% or higher, so this one slightly negative review is just a drop in the bucket.
28.07.2010 - 15:24
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Guest on 28.07.2010 at 15:22

Well almost every other metal site gave this album a 80% or higher, so this one slightly negative review is just a drop in the bucket.

So-called "professional" metal review sites tend to overrate albums for some reason. Maybe it's a conspiracy to promote bands?... Nah.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
28.07.2010 - 15:32
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by vezzy on 28.07.2010 at 15:24

So-called "professional" metal review sites tend to overrate albums for some reason. Maybe it's a conspiracy to promote bands?... Nah.

I have seen this album get about 60-70 in several printed magazines
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

29.07.2010 - 03:58
bluemobiusx
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 28.07.2010 at 15:32

Written by vezzy on 28.07.2010 at 15:24

I have seen this album get about 60-70 in several printed magazines

No magazines I've seen, but that's probably because they aren't big enough to get distributed in the U.S.
29.07.2010 - 09:08
GT
Coffee!!
Staff
Written by BitterCOld on 26.07.2010 at 19:59

It's always hilarious when someone who disagrees with a review goes after the "objectivity" of the reviewer. the whole point of a review is to provide a an opinion on an album they've listened to so that others who have not experienced it will get an understanding on what to expect and whether or not it might be something that interests them. this is best done by combining a degree of objectivity with a healthy dose of subjectivity.

let's face it, an objective review of anything would be not only boring, but worthless.

i'll try to give it a shot below. i have not listened to it, so i am inserting "X's" and "Y's" in for factual measurements that are currently unknown to me:

Kalmah - 12 Gauge. AN objective review.

"12 Gauge" is the sixth release from the Finnish act*. The band at the time of recording consisted of five member arrayed as follows: two guitarists (one who also does vocals), one bassist, a drummer, and a keyboardist. The album consists of nine songs played over (XX) amount of minutes. The Japanese version contains an extra track, a cover of "Cold Sweat" by Thin Lizzy.

The guitars were distorted during the recording process. This album also had YY guitar solos. The vocals were mostly performed in what is referred to as a growling style.

Songs did not maintain a constant speed and varied from tempos measuring from XX bpm at slowest to YY bpm at fastest.

This album was recorded at (location) and released on February 24, 2010 by Spinefarm records.

hope that review, stating fact and avoiding opinion, helps.

*you'll notice i must refer to them as "an act" rather than a specific genre or sub-genre, as it's subjective whether they are "extreme power" or "melodeath"... we wouldn't want to be subjective and classify them into one now, would we? Of course, the classification of metal is subjective, so calling them a metal band could be construed as the author forming an opinion.

it's the subjective/opinion part of the review that gives it any flavor.

peoples tastes are different, just because you like something doesn't mean others will. if you don't like someone else's review of something (whether positive or negative) you are better served to state your own counter-argument as to why you feel differently and what about said piece pleases/displeases you than you are attacking a reviewer... unless the reviewer is clearly out of whack and has an agenda. (i.e. someone admitted to reviewing the new christopher lee piece and scoring it absurdly high because others had scored it low... )

Thumbs up man...and like Collin I'm actually just quoting you to make sure the post is on the second pages as well
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
31.07.2010 - 12:32
Rating: 9
Aladin
I actually really enjoyed this album, when I want to listen to Kalmah, 8 in 10 times I pick 12 Gauge
02.08.2010 - 06:36
bluemobiusx
Account deleted
Written by Troy Killjoy on 25.07.2010 at 06:19

Written by elseif on 25.07.2010 at 06:18

A little bit harsh

What makes you say that?

I respect your opinion on the album even though I enjoyed this album a lot, but there are a couple of things I don't like about your review.

"Maybe the band members are preparing something special for their next release.

Maybe the swamp has finally dried up."

I don't like it when reviewers make future assertions about a band while reviewing an album. You're here to review the album, not to be a fortune teller. This isn't an article about guessing where Kalmah is going next.

"A. Kokko has proven his capability as a guitarist and inherently as a talented soloist, but his work on this release seems forced and uninspired."

Yeah, the solos weren't super, but when reviewers start saying things like forced and uninspired, i think you also need to explain that. A. What do those two words mean to you? B. How do you know what his inspiration or lack there of was? C. How do you know that those aren't the kind of solos he was "inspired" to write?

What other instruments should they add to become more relevant? They added trumpets already on this album.
02.08.2010 - 06:54
Rating: 7
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Guest on 02.08.2010 at 06:36

I don't like it when reviewers make future assertions about a band while reviewing an album. You're here to review the album, not to be a fortune teller. This isn't an article about guessing where Kalmah is going next.

I did review the album - that final bit was regarding why this release felt so generic. Maybe it's a label-pleasing release, i.e. Spinefarm/Spikefarm says "we want an album in 2010 Kalmah", and then there was 12 Gauge. Ergo, maybe Kalmah are able to do better in the near future, or maybe this really is all they can muster up these days.

I wasn't trying to "predict the future", I was just trying to hammer in my opinion that this album = not up to my standards as a semi-fan of the band.

Quote:

Yeah, the solos weren't super, but when reviewers start saying things like forced and uninspired, i think you also need to explain that. A. What do those two words mean to you? B. How do you know what his inspiration or lack there of was? C. How do you know that those aren't the kind of solos he was "inspired" to write?

What other instruments should they add to become more relevant? They added trumpets already on this album.

forced /fɔrst, foʊrst/ [fawrst, fohrst] -adjective
1. enforced or compulsory: forced labor.[/s]
2. strained, unnatural, or affected: a forced smile.
3. subjected to force.
4. required by circumstances; emergency: a forced landing of an airplane

Regarding my use of the word "forced", I simply meant that the guitar solos on this album seem "strained, unnatural, or affected". As in they are out-of-character, go nowhere, and aren't memorable - something that can hardly be said about any of their pre-For The Revolution albums.

un·in·spired /ˌʌnɪnˈspaɪərd/ [uhn-in-spahyuhrd] -adjective
not inspired; not creative or spirited: an uninspired performance; an uninspired teacher.

Regarding my use of the word "uninspired", I simply meant that the guitar solos on this album seem "not inspired, not creative or spirited". As in they [insert aforementioned explanation verbatim].

I don't know what his inspiration was. Nobody does but him, possibly his band mates, and possibly some close friends and label owners. Beyond that, do you honestly expect every review to go in depth as to how one knows the damn source of inspiration for every single aspect of a band member's choice of musicianship? That's asking a little much (unless of course you want to pay for a plane ticket for me to visit their recording studio and chat about why they wrote Song A one way and Song B another).

My apologies for the sarcasm. You can of course ignore my comments and write your own review about why this album isn't as generic as I reviewed it to be (and all the Kalmah fans on this site will praise you for it).

Hopefully that answers your questions.

EDIT: Regarding the trumpets: it's one song, and only the introduction to that one song. Maybe a piano would have been nice, some violins? Maybe change up the mixing/mastering process so the bass is more in the forefront, or vice-versa. Lots of stuff can be done to "change things up". This album is a shadow of their previous works.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
02.08.2010 - 06:55
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
@bluemobiusx - I think you're nitpicking a little bit too much. He sufficiently explained his thoughts on the album, and even though I don't agree with the swamp drying up, it was just a creative way to close a review. I used to review albums for a metal webzine a few years ago and it only took a few reviews (for me at least) before struggling with word choice.

As for the album, I liked the first listen, but I haven't played it enough yet to have a full opinion. Some songs kicked ass, while others lacked.
02.08.2010 - 07:35
bluemobiusx
Account deleted
Written by Troy Killjoy on 02.08.2010 at 06:54

Written by Guest on 02.08.2010 at 06:36

I did review the album - that final bit was regarding why this release felt so generic. Maybe it's a label-pleasing release, i.e. Spinefarm/Spikefarm says "we want an album in 2010 Kalmah", and then there was 12 Gauge. Ergo, maybe Kalmah are able to do better in the near future, or maybe this really is all they can muster up these days.

I wasn't trying to "predict the future", I was just trying to hammer in my opinion that this album = not up to my standards as a semi-fan of the band.

Quote:

forced /fɔrst, foʊrst/ [fawrst, fohrst] -adjective
1. enforced or compulsory: forced labor.[/s]
2. strained, unnatural, or affected: a forced smile.
3. subjected to force.
4. required by circumstances; emergency: a forced landing of an airplane

Regarding my use of the word "forced", I simply meant that the guitar solos on this album seem "strained, unnatural, or affected". As in they are out-of-character, go nowhere, and aren't memorable - something that can hardly be said about any of their pre-For The Revolution albums.

un·in·spired /ˌʌnɪnˈspaɪərd/ [uhn-in-spahyuhrd] -adjective
not inspired; not creative or spirited: an uninspired performance; an uninspired teacher.

Regarding my use of the word "uninspired", I simply meant that the guitar solos on this album seem "not inspired, not creative or spirited". As in they [insert aforementioned explanation verbatim].

I don't know what his inspiration was. Nobody does but him, possibly his band mates, and possibly some close friends and label owners. Beyond that, do you honestly expect every review to go in depth as to how one knows the damn source of inspiration for every single aspect of a band member's choice of musicianship? That's asking a little much (unless of course you want to pay for a plane ticket for me to visit their recording studio and chat about why they wrote Song A one way and Song B another).

My apologies for the sarcasm. You can of course ignore my comments and write your own review about why this album isn't as generic as I reviewed it to be (and all the Kalmah fans on this site will praise you for it).

Hopefully that answers your questions.

EDIT: Regarding the trumpets: it's one song, and only the introduction to that one song. Maybe a piano would have been nice, some violins? Maybe change up the mixing/mastering process so the bass is more in the forefront, or vice-versa. Lots of stuff can be done to "change things up". This album is a shadow of their previous works.

First off, I wasn't being hostile with my comments, just pointing some stuff out, so I see your sarcasm and the tone of your reply as a little disrespectful. Second, I know the definitions of those words, and I justed wanted your "definition." There is no need to quote Websters or whatever dictionary site you pulled that from.
You can take my criticism or leave it, but you don't have to be an asshole about it.
02.08.2010 - 15:06
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Guest on 02.08.2010 at 07:35

First off, I wasn't being hostile with my comments, just pointing some stuff out, so I see your sarcasm and the tone of your reply as a little disrespectful. Second, I know the definitions of those words, and I justed wanted your "definition." There is no need to quote Websters or whatever dictionary site you pulled that from.
You can take my criticism or leave it, but you don't have to be an asshole about it.

Admittedly my response was more or less sarcasm-laden, but I won't admit to my answer as "being an asshole about it". I answered your questions the best way I could - you asked for my definition of words so I pulled the definitions from dictionary.com and explained how their definition mirrors my own, and how that same definition applies to this album. So in my opinion there was a need for that as it helped further get my point across. (Better than just saying they're uninspired and forced without backing it up, no?)

I understand you weren't being hostile and were merely critiquing my review, but for the most part that critique was targeting elements I have/had more or less no control over (such as how I know or don't know whether or not the guitar solos were written the way they were for a specific reason).

I'll take any criticism after analyzing the suggestions, and for the most part I don't see any of my future reviews changing as a result of our conversation. That being said, I will be on the lookout to make sure I don't use words that have been abused my reviewers around the world because that has obviously led to a misunderstanding of definitions.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
04.08.2010 - 15:25
This to me was a great album Much better than for the revolution! been a person who first got into kalmah through the Black waltz and then worked backwards i think this album is a great blend of both new and old sounds. Highlight Track - sacramentum
04.08.2010 - 16:13
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Ragepocalypse on 04.08.2010 at 15:25

This to me was a great album Much better than for the revolution! been a person who first got into kalmah through the Black waltz and then worked backwards i think this album is a great blend of both new and old sounds. Highlight Track - sacramentum

I agree this is a major step forward from For The Revolution, but I don't think of it as a blend of new and old sounds. To me this is purely melodic death with thrash-influenced guitar leads whereas their earlier works were more melodic death and "extreme power" as it were.
----
04.08.2010 - 22:48
Fane
I would 100% agree that the album is unimpressive. Not bad, but unimpressive. Even forgettable when you own (as I do) their other albums which are filled with unique songs and riffs that haunt me even in my dreams.

I like the old Kalmah a lot. Catchy, harsh and one heck of an impressive guitar work. 12 gauge is tame compared to those works. Also it repeats itself, making it easily forgettable and guitar work is average. Still I must admit that this album is a step towards better tomorrow from their previous album.

Oh and the title! I thought the same as Troy, haha. The Black Waltz, For The Revolution, 12 Gauge... wait wat? Even if it is a reference to member's hunting activity, it's not a good name. It instantly reminds of me of brutal death metal bands.

Overall I would give it a 7.

[offtopic]I accept that people should respect each other in MS, but after reading those (hilarious) comments, I must say people are slightly too sensitive. A bit of sarcasm doesn't hurt anyone, small disputes are just fun and making sharp comments of others (with good taste) is imo totally acceptable.
I totally agree with BitterCOld about the review thing, haha[/offtopic]
----
Coffee for power
Music for creativity
Sarcasm for fun
16.08.2010 - 06:22
Rating: 9
Anttizhang
I agree some points in the review...not a bad album but...far from great!
----
MD,MS...why always M?
06.09.2010 - 13:19
Gory Sid
I still think this is a great album.......
sure they have been inspired by early bodom but listening to the songs makes me fell so damn good
LONG LIVE KALMAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:banger2:
----
YO I HATE EVERYTHING EXCEPT METAL. thank u
06.09.2010 - 19:45
Bushwookie
Uhm... 6.7? I'd atleast give this album an 8.

Sure, they kind of strayed from their original sound but not too far. I find this is one of those albums that really grow on you..
09.09.2010 - 17:24
iMPERiAL_iCE
Weeping Heart
Written by Troy Killjoy on 02.08.2010 at 06:54

totally agree to that, I believe a lute could've also changed a lot. and the mastering sounds a lot like For The Revolution, I hope they'd start mixing in 5.1 surround for a change :Calling on Steven Wilson for the rescue:

Now about the review, well done Troy (except for the album name part, I mean c'mooon this is not the worst name out there :pointing at Children Of Bodom - Are You dead Yet? and laughing: and after reading about the Koko's and their hunting and stuff it started to sound pretty relevant ). as for the rating, ur a bit unfair, I'd give it 7+ at least, and finally u'd want to cut down on the sarcasm in order to avoid being bashed by fans who don't appreciate it hehehehe

All in all good review
----
The older I get.........The faster I was

Smurfilator -- back when Smurf Metal existed :'(
03.07.2011 - 03:58
mige
Account deleted
This review = bullshit ,,,,,,how they let you wrote this!!!!!!
this is the second review that i read and the level of this site is fucken shallow !!!!
03.07.2011 - 05:00
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Guest on 03.07.2011 at 03:58

this is the second review that i read and the level of this site is fucken shallow !!!!

Don't get your panties in a bunch melodeath fanboy...it's just one person's opinion.
----
03.07.2011 - 07:20
mige
Account deleted
Written by Troy Killjoy on 03.07.2011 at 05:00

Written by Guest on 03.07.2011 at 03:58

Don't get your panties in a bunch melodeath fanboy...it's just one person's opinion.

aha now i know why the review is so shallow cuz u are a kid !!!
the half of the review was about the name of the album and u have write the second half about the appearance of the members ,u don't even have to listen to the album!!!!,,,, i guess u can write a review before the album even released....
but i wanna give u an advice u have to write in the beginning of your review "kid reviewer"
03.07.2011 - 17:11
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Guest on 03.07.2011 at 07:20

the half of the review was about the name of the album and u have write the second half about the appearance of the members ,u don't even have to listen to the album!!!!,,,, i guess u can write a review before the album even released....

Work on your reading comprehension skills, then we'll talk.
----
03.07.2011 - 17:24
mige
Account deleted
Written by Troy Killjoy on 03.07.2011 at 17:11

Written by Guest on 03.07.2011 at 07:20

Work on your reading comprehension skills, then we'll talk.

woooow kid English is not my original language ,,at least i know 3 languages ,how many do u know Canadian!!!!!!
and i think u understand what i mean but u can't answer ,
for god sake plz don't write another review kid
03.07.2011 - 17:39
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Guest on 03.07.2011 at 17:24

Sorry broseph, already done. Wanna go flame somewhere else now? There's only so much maturity this review thread can handle.
----
03.07.2011 - 18:34
mige
Account deleted
Written by Troy Killjoy on 03.07.2011 at 17:39

Sorry broseph, already done. Wanna go flame somewhere else now? There's only so much maturity this review thread can handle.

ok ok i'll stop kid ,,,,cuz i think that you gonna cry !!!
03.07.2011 - 19:23
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff

at least i know 3 languages ,how many do u know Canadian!!!!!!

Hahaha... Comparing amount of languages like if you were in a contest for the bigest dick. Well, congrats... You ARE the biggest dick in this thread
... And then you have the nerve of calling someone a kid together with mature sentences like "ok ok i'll stop kid ,,,,cuz i think that you gonna cry !!!"

God, trolls don't have any sort of charm anymore
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
03.07.2011 - 19:35
mige
Account deleted
Written by X-Ray Rod on 03.07.2011 at 19:23

Hahaha... Comparing amount of languages like if you were in a contest for the bigest dick. Well, congrats... You ARE the biggest dick in this thread
... And then you have the nerve of calling someone a kid together with mature sentences like "ok ok i'll stop kid ,,,,cuz i think that you gonna cry !!!"

oh another baby kid is here from 1991 to 1992 what a teenagers site is this !!!!!!!!!!!!!
and talking about dicks son of the bitch do u have one yet ? i guess u have one but in ur ass....
another 18 years old boy talking with me ,,and guess what he is in staff too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
03.07.2011 - 19:35
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Guest on 03.07.2011 at 19:35

Written by X-Ray Rod on 03.07.2011 at 19:23

oh another baby kid is here from 1991 to 1992 what a teenagers site is this !!!!!!!!!!!!!
and talking about dicks son of the bitch do u have one yet ? i guess u have one but in ur ass....
another 18 years old boy talking with me ,,and guess what he is in staff too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

stop your crying and whining.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

03.07.2011 - 19:50
mige
Account deleted
"stop your crying and whining"
ok i'll when u give ur staff members their bottles of milk and change their pampers cuz they crying louder....

btw i'll respect u marcel cuz am always respects who older than me ,,and u have my apologize if this annoying u..
03.07.2011 - 19:56
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite
Written by Guest on 03.07.2011 at 19:50

"stop your crying and whining"
ok i'll when u give ur staff members their bottles of milk and change their pampers cuz they crying louder....

btw i'll respect u marcel cuz am always respects who older than me ,,and u have my apologize if this annoying u..

You have many many more people to apologize to then. Judging by the mental level of your posts, I'd say everyone older that 9 years old.

Hits total: 13163 | This month: 47