04. Black Candy
05. On A Wicked Night
06. Deth Red Moon
07. Ju Ju Bone
08. Night Star Hel
09. Pyre Of Souls: Incanticle
10. Pyre Of Souls: Seasons Of Pain
11. Left Hand Rise Above

This is Glenn Danzig, you may remember him from such great rock n' roll albums as Walk Among Us and Danzig II: Lucifuge...Or perhaps you won't.

It's really no secret this man ain't what he used to be. Since the loss of the classic Biscuits-Von-Christ line-up, Danzig albums have taken a progressive downward spiral from mediocre to crap. Luckily, some genuine inspiration must have struck Glenn long enough to put the comic books down and churn out a new album after 6 years (4 if you count Black Aria). From his punk days in The Misfits to the first few Danzig albums, he has proved that his music works best in a stripped down form. This is the first album where his thicker production attempts actually proved somewhat successful. Granted, the mixing on this album is absolutely piss-poor, but the new songs show depth nonetheless.

Depth is definitely the best improvement Deth Red Sabaoth has in relativity to pretty much any other Danzig albums. Heavily distorted guitars interspersed with a grungy blues sound is simultaneously a throwback to older albums, yet a maturing sound at the same time. For anyone who is familiar with Glenn Danzig in the slightest knows of his cartoonish fascination with the dramatically dark & evil, and for the first time in his entire catalogue it sounds like he truly grasped the atmosphere he was reaching for. Not your typical "gothic" type evil found so rampantly in metal, but closer to that deep south, delta blues, sell-your-soul-at-the-crossroads type evil - an atmosphere which really compliments what's left of Glenn Danzig's voice.

For anyone hoping for a full-blown comeback, don't hold your breath. It's safe to say the man's voice is shot for good, and the production is pretty atrocious at times (almost sounding like unmastered demo tracks quite frequently). On the contrary, the songs themselves are great, the atmosphere is there and it's definitely an improvement. Deth Red Sabaoth is certainly worth checking out if you're a fan of previous works from Danzig, but I somehow doubt new fans to the band (and the man) will quite understand this one.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 8
Production: 5

Written on 26.07.2010 by Former EIC. Now just a reviewer guy.

Comments

Comments: 7   Visited by: 208 users
26.07.2010 - 23:56
Rating: 6
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Thanks for a candid review. i'm always intrigued when he puts something new out, i suppose, even though i agree that the quality has diminished since the demolition of the Christ Von Biscuits line up. (IV was good, though)...
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
26.07.2010 - 23:59
Rating: 8
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by BitterCOld on 26.07.2010 at 23:56

Thanks for a candid review. i'm always intrigued when he puts something new out, i suppose, even though i agree that the quality has diminished since the demolition of the Christ Von Biscuits line up. (IV was good, though)...

IV had that line-up, though I think it fell apart shortly after it was recorded. They're all listed in the liner notes as being on it, but that definitely ain't Biscuits drumming in the video for Cantspeak...

I didn't mind certain parts of 666: Satans Child, though.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
27.07.2010 - 01:30
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
Danzig seems to be re-emerging from the huge mediocrity of his post-classic lineup releases. Circle of Snakes was already an OK release and this one is definitely better. It certainly captures that stripped-down vibe of the first 3 releases that made those albums so damn good. Its not there yet and Danzig's voice is indeed too damaged at this point to pull off the same sort of passion as back then; however, it gets the job done.
27.07.2010 - 05:41
Thrash666

This is definatley the best Danzig album since III. IV wasnt horrible but i enjoy this album more. As long as Danzig releases albums that sound nothing like the god awful Danzig V: Blackaciddevil.... Then I will give it a listen and most likely enjoy it. Just saw Danzig few weeks ago live and it was amazing!!!! You can tell his voice has pretty much met the end of the road but like other people have said it gets the job done. Long Live Danzig!!!!
----
LONG LIVE THASH!!!!!!!!!
R.I.P. "Dimebag" Darrell Abott
Drink a "blacktooth" for Dimebag
27.07.2010 - 22:28
skrätte
I Hate You
The farther we get from Blackacidevil, the happier I am. This album is a far cry from being as good as Lucifuge or How The Gods Kill, but it is still a major step up from his last few releases.
----
28.07.2010 - 19:14
Rating: 6
afu

I'm a Danzig fanatic. I have all of his recordings from the Misfits 'till now in one form or another. I've been really disappointed with the last couple of albums, but I liked this one right off the bat. Ju Ju Bone and Incanticle are not very good and the riff in The Revengeful makes me want to break Tommy Victor's fingers, but I like the rest of the album quite a bit. I give it an 8.
02.08.2010 - 20:22
Kingwilly

I agree with this review ftmp. Tommy Victor just sucks as a lead guitarist (even though he is much improved here since Circle of Snakes) and the production could have been better. I don't understand why Danzig keeps insisting on using any kind of effects with his vocals. For those who erroneously believe Danzig's voice is shot, listen to "Father's Grave" by Melissa Auf Der Maur, which was recorded in 2008. It shows what Danzig can do when good production values are emphasized.

Hits total: 7958 | This month: 13