03. Dreaming Light
04. Everything
05. Angels Walk Among Us [feat. Ville Valo]
06. Presence
07. A Simple Mistake
08. Get Off Get Out
09. Universal
10. Hindsight

Anathema have long since abandoned their trademark style and their current eclecticism is as much of a trait as it is a fault. Willingness to experiment and grow as a band is, of course, always praise-worthy; however, Anathema have a distinct stench about them - the unmistakable, shiver-inducing stench of being a follower.

We're Here Because We're Here really stinks up the place. On paper, all the elements needed to make ethereal, melancholic and awe-inspiringly beautiful music is here - Anathema stretches far past their go-to strongest influence of Pink Floyd and channels Radiohead and Muse, post-punk revival sounds, Porcupine Tree's heavy prog and even some shoegaze bliss. Unfortunately, in practice this album sounds a little too much like a rip-off to be comfortable and sheds doubt on just how vital and relevant Anathema can still hope to be. Sure, they write some nice music but by borrowing so much, even they admit that other bands do this sort of thing better. See what I'm getting at?

Moreover, it's not like Anathema is lacking in talent of the sort that could result in an undisputed, unique masterpiece of seldom reached heights. The borrowed elements are always used very well as We're Here Because We're Here flows gracefully from hugely emotional crescendo ("A Simple Mistake") to moving groove ("Thin Air"). The Vincent Cavanagh and Lee Douglas vocal duet is also a thing to behold as both singers seem to benefit from the pairing and submit memorable, melodic performances ("Angels Walk Besides Us"). The meaningful, genuine melancholy that has traditionally been Anathema's biggest draw is also still ever-present and as addictive as ever, even in the fantastic closer instrumental "Hindsight".

In other words, besides some uncomfortable spoken word parts, this is uniformly and undeniably an album with music that can only be described as beautiful. Beautiful but with a catch, like that female friend of yours who wears way too much makeup and spends a ridiculous amount of money on designer clothes that she sees MTV starlets wearing. Genuinely pretty though she may be, on the outside she merely looks fake and shallow. Similarly, Anathema also needs to emerge from beneath the layers of hero-worship in order for their true worth to be evident.

Written on 27.07.2010 by With Metal Storm since 2002, jupitreas has been subjecting the masses to his reviews for quite a while now. He lives in Warsaw, Poland, where he does his best to avoid prosecution for being so cool.

Comments page 2 / 2

Comments: 43   Visited by: 502 users
30.07.2010 - 12:03
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Quote:
Written by Deadsoulman on 30.07.2010 at 11:45

Written by Guest on 30.07.2010 at 03:58

You make valid points. What I wanted to say is that people are equally entitled to criticise or defend an album (whether this is related to the beauty of the album for itself or its originality or anything else) without being bashed.

There is a huge difference between someone who genuinely likes an album and disagrees with a review for valid reasons and someone who just goes "review is shit, reviewer has a small weenie, X is the best band ever, this album is a 10, best thing evah, if you don't like don't review". Unfortunately we usually get twice as much of the second option for reviews of famous bands. That's what I and I guess also Marcel meant by "fanboys".

You guessed right, what I meant by 'fanboys', dear sir.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

30.07.2010 - 22:51
Rating: 9
ravendeath

Written by jupitreas on 30.07.2010 at 02:07

Written by ravendeath on 29.07.2010 at 23:52

bullshit

You've got an example of an original band in your avatar.

BTW - I bash albums that deserve it but never in a way that doesnt contain information for the band how they can improve. This album is enjoyable and i'm an Anathema fan but it is hugely unoriginal and this is a shame. how a guy who claims to be 35 years old and a FOTN fan is unable to realize that something is unoriginal is beyond me. You certainly bring shame to FOTN fans around the world with your lack of intelligence.

Maybe I exagerated with the statement that this and MDB's review of yours are a shame for this site. But I really don't find WAHBWAH so unoriginal. Yes it has the similar mood in some parts to Porcupine Tree or Radiohead and Muse, but mostly it's still Anathema, unique and professional. Like I stated in one of my comments before, for me, this is not their best work and I was a little dissapointed after 7 years of wait. I simply don't agree with that sole statement about originality, because if we take it that way, than none of metal bands are really original. With MDB's review it's totally different...it seems that you wrote it simply because you can't stand their music or am I wrong? I don't think it's appropriate to mention a name of FOTN here, because it has nothing to do with the topic. Shame on me because I lack in intelligence so much, that I even am a shame to FOTN fans around the world. It's good that you mentioned that I'm 35 years old, because I thougt that I'm only 13 or so...
31.07.2010 - 02:03
Magatouve
Account deleted
Quote:
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 30.07.2010 at 12:03

Written by Deadsoulman on 30.07.2010 at 11:45

Written by Guest on 30.07.2010 at 03:58

You make valid points. What I wanted to say is that people are equally entitled to criticise or defend an album (whether this is related to the beauty of the album for itself or its originality or anything else) without being bashed.

There is a huge difference between someone who genuinely likes an album and disagrees with a review for valid reasons and someone who just goes "review is shit, reviewer has a small weenie, X is the best band ever, this album is a 10, best thing evah, if you don't like don't review". Unfortunately we usually get twice as much of the second option for reviews of famous bands. That's what I and I guess also Marcel meant by "fanboys".

You guessed right, what I meant by 'fanboys', dear sir.

Fair enough! I agree with you both!
31.07.2010 - 03:31
ravendeath

Written by InnerSelf on 30.07.2010 at 00:10

And Esoteric shall be on the top of the list
I know this is off-topic but really what bands did you run into to not find originality

You misunderstood me. I didn't want to say that I haven't heard any original band... come on! I only don't find this album so unoriginal like the review says, and again if that it's true than I really don't know who is original nowadays. Of course WAHBWAH it's not a jewel in originality, but I think it's original enough and it does not deserve such a statement about that. Yes, Esoteric is a decent band!
06.08.2010 - 01:50
Rating: 4
hadriel

One of the best reviews I've read in a while. Great read!
06.08.2010 - 11:24
Merchant of Doom

Written by Lucas on 29.07.2010 at 23:32

I don't know what bands you are listening to, but when I look at my 700+ cd's I have a lot of original music in front of me.

Originality in music doesn't exist anymore, especially in 2010...

The album is good, but a bit too polished and lacking in balls. They have changed their style of music and now they sound like another zillions bands... does it matter? No, if you enjoy the music...
23.08.2010 - 03:24
The Night Wisher

I don't know what to say, every time I listen to this album I get different impression it's not bad, and contain some good songs, but I really miss Alternative 4 style so much :'(
19.09.2010 - 00:34
Rating: 10
lord artan

No doubt an artistic life of this group were summarized in this album.The album is a masterpiece Because this song is it:A Simple Mistake

The album lyrics refers to the various issues Such mistakes in life And most importantly love.lost love... i love this album so much
23.09.2010 - 21:54
Rating: 5
Elyar S.
Gud är Död
All I can say is that this album sucks and its the first complete bullshit of Anathema (despite 2 or 3 songs). And to be honest there were some signs of it before album releases, those very bad Singles (or whatever).

Most bothering thing in this album is that they are really happy and hypocrites (lyrically) even if you want to compare it with their none death/doom metal era (recently). I think after some albums they will join Sum 41 because I cant imagine that their road will end to AC/DC or something.

But it seems with those MTV thongs they have got some new fans because almost 140 ppl's average vote for this album is 8.2 yet

----
Kiss my ass if you dont like me, I dont care.
25.12.2010 - 20:53
lugardo

Great Review.
28.04.2012 - 23:43
Rating: 10
Passenger
Lost To Apathy
I thought the title was We're Because You're Here, at first. It would make more sense, wouldn't it? With them not recording for so long and what not :/
----
You don't make up for your sins in church. You do it in the streets. You do it at home. The rest is bullshit and you know it ~ Mean Streets
06.02.2013 - 06:29
Kuroboshi

Great review. Maybe not the most original album out there, as Jupitreas said. But, damn, is it not beautiful? Like the post-vibe they got going as well.
06.09.2016 - 04:12
Rating: 7
Tenski

IMO Anathema at their most complete work to date.

Hits total: 11448 | This month: 20