Metal Storm logo
Of war and metal

28.07.2010 - 18:01
Berfones

The Middle East is in a state of partial war as many of you may know, nuclear war is at hand, religious wars go on for centuriesâ?¦
However, metal still unites the people, although none of the middle east countries is known for its metal culture or export (no more than any other place I mean), I recently started listening to some Turkish and Iranian metal bands, and I know many who live in this part of the world enjoy the music of Orphaned Land, an Israeli folk metal band.
While being at Hellfest I talked to some of both sides, none seem to really care where the other was from, therefore I came to the inevitable conclusion, metal is connecting people!
After moshing with Egyptian, Turkish, Iranian and Israeli metalheads I noticed no political talks or ideas were brought up.
On the other hand, I know several â??musiciansâ?? on both sides who use strong political notions in their â??musicâ?? (mostly rap music), a thing which only makes things worse.
Now I ask you, can music really stop wars or start them?
----
Thine truly,ancient evil overlord
28.07.2010 - 18:07
Darkside Momo
Retired
Well, for now I know no occurence of music either starting or stopping a war, but I wouldn't be surprised if it did happen in human history...
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
28.07.2010 - 18:11
Berfones

Written by Darkside Momo on 28.07.2010 at 18:07

Well, for now I know no occurence of music either starting or stopping a war, but I wouldn't be surprised if it did happen in human history...

it did not stop war, but two groups of people on different sides of the war sing togather to some bands on stage and moshing carelessly, with no prejudice or hatred...for over 60 years government try to make this happen on a larger scale...
----
28.07.2010 - 19:41
vezzy
Stallmanite
Although music can to some degree help fuel an already starting social movement, I'd say no.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
28.07.2010 - 22:44
Darkside Momo
Retired
Written by Berfones on 28.07.2010 at 18:11

it did not stop war, but two groups of people on different sides of the war sing togather to some bands on stage and moshing carelessly, with no prejudice or hatred...for over 60 years government try to make this happen on a larger scale...

Yes, and Orphaned Land (and others) are amazing for that. But they're "just" changing the mentalities of some people, who might in turn influence others, and so on...
In the end, music won't have stopped any war, but maybe helped an ideal of peace to prosper...
----

I am awake"
28.07.2010 - 22:53
Berfones

Written by Darkside Momo on 28.07.2010 at 22:44

Yes, and Orphaned Land (and others) are amazing for that. But they're "just" changing the mentalities of some people, who might in turn influence others, and so on...
In the end, music won't have stopped any war, but maybe helped an ideal of peace to prosper...

however, if it can make the idea of peace prosper it can make it stronger than the idea of war, can it not?
----
28.07.2010 - 23:06
Darkside Momo
Retired
Written by Berfones on 28.07.2010 at 22:53

however, if it can make the idea of peace prosper it can make it stronger than the idea of war, can it not?

I don't know, honestly. It depends on so many factors...
----

I am awake"
28.07.2010 - 23:17
InnerSelf
proofread free
As if Metal is very popular around here
----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.
29.07.2010 - 00:50
Berfones

Written by Darkside Momo on 28.07.2010 at 23:06

Written by Berfones on 28.07.2010 at 22:53

I don't know, honestly. It depends on so many factors...

I will not argue there, there are far too many parameters to this for us to form an algorithm
----
29.07.2010 - 01:23
ForeverDarkWoods

Ideally, metal should start a holy crusade against the posers.
Manowar say it in a way that I never could:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6knCdiUBz4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJ0sW7KOFhU

But seriously, I always make a point to separate politics from my interest in music, even though I am very politically active (on the furthest fringes on the left side of the scale). I could no doubt mosh with a nazi at a Suicidal Tendencies show, even though I deep down want him to suffer and die.
----
Free nations are peaceful nations. Free nations don't attack each other. Free nations don't develop weapons of mass destruction!
- George W. Bush, ex-president of the United States of America
29.07.2010 - 04:22
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Or how about people just realize that their humanity is what they share and quit hating and killing each other over bullshit? Wouldn't that be a nice change? I don't think Metal really has much of an impact on a large scale. The people fighting each other most likely don't listen to Heavy Metal music at all, let alone think that it's a good thing. Maybe among individuals who most likely find the establishment shameful anyways, but something on the scale of war? No.
----
The force will be with you, always.
29.07.2010 - 09:49
Berfones

Written by InnerSelf on 28.07.2010 at 23:17

As if Metal is very popular around here

tel me about it....once in a thousand years or so there is a good concert and "a sold out" event means 150 people max...but now many posers rise, due to the Twilight films and putting some rock music in T.V show soundtrack...
----
29.07.2010 - 11:45
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by ForeverDarkWoods on 29.07.2010 at 01:23

Ironic, as Manowar themselves are posers.
----
29.07.2010 - 13:09
ForeverDarkWoods

Written by vezzy on 29.07.2010 at 11:45

I can get that they are somewhat gimmicky and not really serious all the time, but posers? At least not in times past, when they released some true fucking heavy metal, like Battle Hymns or Fighting The World. I can agree that their recent stuff is quite bad though, but seriously, listen to this for comparison:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crIxglv098g

Yes, they are gimmicky. But then again so is Venom, so is Mercyful Fate, so is pretty much all black metal out there. What about the brutal dm? Are they all posers? Judging from your listed favourite bands you don't think so.

If you can't smile a little when you listen to metal, I feel sorry for you.
----
Free nations are peaceful nations. Free nations don't attack each other. Free nations don't develop weapons of mass destruction!
29.07.2010 - 13:27
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by ForeverDarkWoods on 29.07.2010 at 13:09

Written by vezzy on 29.07.2010 at 11:45

I can get that they are somewhat gimmicky and not really serious all the time, but posers? At least not in times past, when they released some true fucking heavy metal, like Battle Hymns or Fighting The World. I can agree that their recent stuff is quite bad though, but seriously, listen to this for comparison:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crIxglv098g

Yes, they are gimmicky. But then again so is Venom, so is Mercyful Fate, so is pretty much all black metal out there. What about the brutal dm? Are they all posers? Judging from your listed favourite bands you don't think so.

If you can't smile a little when you listen to metal, I feel sorry for you.

Heck no. I'm aware that a lot of bands are half-joking and some completely humorous, but Manowar are on the extreme laughable side of things, as are Venom. What's even funnier is people take Manowar as some kind of metal gods.

Brutal DM varies, but the gore metal stuff is usually rooted in horror films, splatter fiction, etc. It definitely isn't serious, but there's some quality in the music, at least some of the time.
----
29.07.2010 - 17:19
ForeverDarkWoods

Written by vezzy on 29.07.2010 at 13:27

Heck no. I'm aware that a lot of bands are half-joking and some completely humorous, but Manowar are on the extreme laughable side of things, as are Venom. What's even funnier is people take Manowar as some kind of metal gods.

And what band would, in your opinion, be better as metal gods than the one band that decides to take metalness to it's laughable extremes?
----
29.07.2010 - 17:21
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by ForeverDarkWoods on 29.07.2010 at 17:19

And what band would, in your opinion, be better as metal gods than the one band that decides to take metalness to it's laughable extremes?

None, really. I could always say Black Sabbath or Judas Priest, but really, there is no band that deserves the title of "metal gods", IMO.
----
29.07.2010 - 18:39
Berfones

Written by vezzy on 29.07.2010 at 17:21

Written by ForeverDarkWoods on 29.07.2010 at 17:19

None, really. I could always say Black Sabbath or Judas Priest, but really, there is no band that deserves the title of "metal gods", IMO.

Nanowar!! Manowar is far from being the "metal gods" mainly because they make metal a joke, but unlike Nanowar and others alike, Manowar take it seriously
----