03. Act III - The Ancient Fires Of Har-Kuun
04. Act IV - The Betrayal
05. Act V - Neve Rosso Sangue
06. Act VI - Erian's Lost Secrets
07. Act VII - The Angels' Dark Revelation

Staff review by
Baz Anderson
Rating:
Rhapsody must think that everything they touch turns to gold. Only months after the release of their comeback album the band offer this EP, an apparent "dark romantic symphony".

For a release 35 minutes long with seven tracks, perhaps only one is worthy of all the anticipation, if that. Nowadays it seems that narrations and cheesy fantasy film-like dialogues suffice as the majority of tracks on a musical disc. Only three tracks contain music as such, although "The Ancient Fires Of Har-Kuun" is the main one weighing in at an unnecessary 15 minutes. This is the main track of the EP and contains all the usual Rhapsody traditions of orchestrations, keyboards and choirs. It has its moments, the great chorus especially, but does suffer from appearing too drawn out.

Read more ››
published 28.09.2010 | Comments (48)

Found in 2 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 24   Visited by: 452 users
30.07.2010 - 21:15
Rating: 9
farfaramir

It's not going to be a EP like the desciption says, it's going to be like "Rain of a Thousand Flames" >_>
31.07.2010 - 01:27
RavenKing

"Rain Of A thousand Flames" was an EP, farfaramir.
A long EP, but still an EP.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
31.07.2010 - 11:02
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
The longest EP ever is by Nanocyborg Uberholocaust - almost 7 hours
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

31.07.2010 - 13:12
DieH@rd

WANT IT NAO!

Its gonna be a long wait untill mid October. :-(
----
His is a name the world will never forget... He is Dargor!
-Rhapsody-
31.07.2010 - 18:08
Kallis Helmi
ManDaraBosS
IMO RoaTF is an album. A mini-album but still an album. Or dudes - like this: single => EP => The Cold Embrace Of Fear & Rain Of A Thousand Flames => album.
Anyway I WANT THIS RELEASE NOOOW!!!
----
"Now I'm leaving my worries behind
Feel the freedom of body and mind
I am starting my journey, I'm drifting away with the wind
I go"
03.08.2010 - 17:00
Rating: 10
Andreas

Mmm, it's just long enough to be called an album, but I don't have any problems with people calling this an EP. Maybe Kallis Helmi's reply describes it best.
14.08.2010 - 20:41
MétalNoir
Fils du Lys
What makes an album an EP anyway??? I don't get why Rain of a Thousand Flames is not a LP...
----
Notre destinée n'est pas encore tracée....
20.08.2010 - 01:09
Baz Anderson

Well I've got it, and it's not really much to look forward to. Track 3 is 15 minutes long, and the rest isn't that great apart from maybe one other track (6 I think)...
20.08.2010 - 02:20
RavenKing

Written by Baz Anderson on 20.08.2010 at 01:09

Well I've got it, and it's not really much to look forward to. Track 3 is 15 minutes long, and the rest isn't that great apart from maybe one other track (6 I think)...

Does the album really have 6 tracks or is it only numbers to identify parts of the same song?
I mean, is there a silence between songs/parts?

EDIT: I haven't heard the album, so I can't post any opinion on the material but I won't be surprised if it has nothing special, like you seem to suggest. They should moderate themselves in their announcements. Each time, they use superlatives like "this extraordinary release" or "this masterpiece" and suggest that it will reinvent metal. It's as if they took marketing lessons from Manowar and Turilli's ex-friend, Joey deMaio.
----
20.08.2010 - 18:05
Carl Berg
Carl Berg
Holy sh*t, another Rhapsody record? Whatever it turns out to be, I'm pretty sure they're gonna kick our asses. Deep.
20.08.2010 - 20:04
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Carl Berg on 20.08.2010 at 18:05

Holy sh*t, another Rhapsody record? Whatever it turns out to be, I'm pretty sure they're gonna kick our asses. Deep.

When hell freezes over they will.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
21.08.2010 - 01:50
Baz Anderson

There's seven tracks, but they're not all "songs" by a long way.
21.08.2010 - 02:02
RavenKing

Written by Baz Anderson on 21.08.2010 at 01:50

There's seven tracks, but they're not all "songs" by a long way.

What are they, then? My bet is they're cheesy narrations and long spoken parts. Perhaps atmospheric keyboard-oriented instrumentals too.
I had this feeling right from the start that this project will be the kind of album that contains very little music for its lenght. Judging by your comment, it soounds as if it's the case.
----
21.08.2010 - 07:34
farfaramir

Written by Baz Anderson on 20.08.2010 at 01:09

Just curiosity... This are questions that some of us has been asking the last month:
1) Does it has guitars, bass and drums or it is only symphony?
2) Is it a real symphony.

Judging by your description, it sounds like a Rain of a Thousand Flames 2 (which also had 3 great songs and the rest were "fillers).
17.10.2010 - 15:11
Rating: 8
Janne
Hugin
It's not an EP it's like a movie just close your eyes while listening to it and you'll understand what I'm talking about
----
age]

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-
19.10.2010 - 13:59
Zmaj Ognjeni Vuk
To Mega Therion
I lol'd when I heard this defined as "audiobook metal"
----

Opinions are like assholes, everybody has one, and they all stink.
29.10.2010 - 00:44
Spanishkiller

Rhapsody Of Fire are currently the best music composers in the world. This is a great EP, full of feelings and melody. They are the best power metal band IMO.
30.10.2010 - 15:26
RavenKing

Written by Spanishkiller on 29.10.2010 at 00:44

Rhapsody Of Fire are currently the best music composers in the world. This is a great EP, full of feelings and melody. They are the best power metal band IMO.

My opinion is they're far from great and immensely overrated. People assume it's genius only because they use some symphonic elements.
Anyway, every kind of metal that uses symphonic element is ridiculously overrated nowadays.
As for Powermetal, this genre sucks so much ass nowadays it is way past the point of redemption.
----
31.10.2010 - 22:23
Spanishkiller

Written by RavenKing on 30.10.2010 at 15:26

My opinion is they're far from great and immensely overrated. People assume it's genius only because they use some symphonic elements.
Anyway, every kind of metal that uses symphonic element is ridiculously overrated nowadays.
As for Powermetal, this genre sucks so much ass nowadays it is way past the point of redemption.

Rhapsody are not just "a bunch of symphonic elements beyond metal". They're real compsers. Bands such as Adagio or mabye Kamelot use symphonic elements. Rhapsody uses the symphony and the classical music as the basis of their songs. RoF and Haggard are the only real symphonic metal bands IMO. And I don't personally think that symphonic metal is overrated (a crappy band which uses symphonic elements is still a crappy band).

Black Metal is not everything in this life my friend
02.11.2010 - 13:06
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
The refrain of "The Ancient Fires Of Har-Kuun" is priceless and one of the best among Rhapsody...but there are only two refrains in 14 minute lasting song and then it is used once more in "Erian's Lost Secrets"...and thats...not enough for half an hour...even i have to say...

it needs cut version of "The Ancient Fires Of Har-Kuun" as single release, this would be worth
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

18.11.2010 - 07:27
mikeprado30

Rhapsody Of Fire are currently the best music composers in the world.

You haven't listened the new Blind Guardian's album This album for sure puts every RoF release in GREAT SHAME!
----
BARDS WE ARE, BARDS WE WILL BE!
21.11.2010 - 12:51
Spanishkiller

Written by mikeprado30 on 18.11.2010 at 07:27

Rhapsody Of Fire are currently the best music composers in the world.

You haven't listened the new Blind Guardian's album This album for sure puts every RoF release in GREAT SHAME!

It's true though. Last Blind Guardian's album has impressed me (Sacred Worlds is just perfect), but anyway I still prefer RoF as a whole.
07.12.2010 - 11:00
Sword_Chant

Written by Ellrohir on 31.07.2010 at 11:02

The longest EP ever is by Nanocyborg Uberholocaust - almost 7 hours

Haha I remember those guys, aren't they the ones that live all the way in Antarctica?
31.08.2021 - 23:21
Rating: 8
GrimReaper85

I could probably listen to chorus from Act III for a whole day.

Hits total: 14593 | This month: 20