Metal Storm logo
Dark Tranquillity

17.05.2006 - 18:47
Eight
Shapeshifter
We all well know, who they are and why we love them, right.
Lets talk of "whats your favorite album?" and, why you like them so much youve entered this topic, and stuff, you know what we did allready

My favourite album is "Character", i don't know why, maybe becouse i havent really listened much to others, but when i heard "Character" i was blunted
And one interesting fact i found here on MS that Niklas Sundin from Dark Tranquillity wrote the In Flames "Whoracle" lyrics.
----
Book: "I am a Shepherd. Folks like a man of God."

Mal: "No, they don't. Men of God make everyone feel guilty and judged."
17.05.2006 - 20:03
RavenLord

Written by Eight on 17.05.2006 at 18:47

And one interesting fact i found here on MS that Niklas Sundin from Dark Tranquillity wrote the In Flames "Whoracle" lyrics.

Anders Friden was lead vocalist on DT's debut 'Skydancer'. Niklas Sundin and Mikael Stanne helped found HammerFall. And (I think) Mikael did some vocals for early In Flames (whether it was recorded, I don't know). Oh, and the Stanne did acoustic guitars on Skydancer as well. Damn, Swedish metal is one inbred scene, isn't it?

Favourite album? 'The Gallery', without a doubt. Every track is a killer, and beautifully crafted. Character is probably my next favourite; its just so indescribably artistic and brilliant. Notable mention to Damage Done, for the more aggressive side of DT (but still not that aggresive, it IS melodeth, after all )
----
17.05.2006 - 23:21
Torelli

if we compare Dark Tranquillity with In flames I can't hep to notice that "behind space" on in flames album "lunar strain" sounds like an Dark tranquillity song. it maybe isn't so weird considering that Mikael stanne sanged on that record...

Anyway, I agree with Silky, The Gallery doesn't have any mediocre song. It's a pure piece of art in my opinion. and I think that answers what's my favorite album...
17.05.2006 - 23:31
Conemetal

I love Dark Tranquillity, "The Gallery", "Character" and "Damage Done" are their best . I want to mention "Projector" too.
----
MUCH I LEARNED FROM MY TEACHERS,
MORE FROM MY COLLEAGUES, BUT I HAVE LEARNED THE MOST FROM MY DISCIPLES
18.05.2006 - 02:16
Amrott

Written by Eight on 17.05.2006 at 18:47

he actually also collaborated with Anders Fridén on the Lyrical concept and song titles of the Jester Race, as well as conjured and verbaliged with Andres The Whoracle concept and then written the Lyrics following Anders's synopsis as you mentioned.
his last collaboration with Andres was on Colony where All lyrics were written by Anders though part translated by Niclas.

Niklas Sundin also did the Art direction, design and photography on Reroute to remain. he actually works as an artist for bands his site is
http://www.cabinfevermedia.com/
he did lots of cover arts for so many bands!!

anyway as for DT music, though i think Character is a better album than Damage Done, i still like DD more, maybe because it was my real first DT album (i had checked Projector before)

Stanne is one of the best vocalists out there \m/
18.05.2006 - 03:42
Deth
Account deleted
The Gallery is my favorite. Though Character is just as good.
18.05.2006 - 03:51
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
i listened to some of there albums a while ago but couldnt seem to get into them, then i saw them live opening for opeth, holy crap, if you think dark tranquilities studio stuff is good its nothing compared to them live.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
18.05.2006 - 06:46
Laevos
Account deleted
DT is one of my fav bands. They're simply great! My favourite album is Damage Done, which was the first one I listened to, and I love all the songs!
Also I love The Gallery too, both of those albums are masterpieces.
19.05.2006 - 16:07
Arwen

I've seen them twice and for the second time in Belgium I was sincerely dissapointed cause their live was a bit empty and unexiting.
I don't know, I like them really much, especially the vocals and the band itself is excellent on stage but however the second time sucked...
Still, maybe it was the fault of technic or simply a bad day for them...it doesn't mean their bad on stage cause I assure you...the first time in Helsinki 2004 was something I'll remember till the end of my life
fantastic and full of power and force...Even the air trembled cause of their performance.
In fact I'm interested in others opinions about their lives... do you as well have had a bad experience of seeing them?
19.05.2006 - 17:20
Deadsoulman

@Arwen: are you talking about their performance in Graspop last year? That's odd because I found their show as great as the first time I saw them in Paris. The concert was powerful and intense IMO so it's kind of surprising me that you think they sucked Oh well, on the other hand maybe I was over-excited because they're my favourite band and it was one of the shows I was most looking forward to...
To answer your question about their live shows, the first time I saw them was in Paris in February 2005 as the opening act for Kreator and in my humble opinion they rocked Kreator anytime. But then again maybe I'm not objective

Back on topic, my favourite album is the same as everyone's apparently. I love everything in The Gallery, the atmosphere, the songwriting, the vocals, the production and of course the songs. And it has one of the best tracks EVER: Lethe - I really wonder how Mikael Stanne can pass so many emotions through his screams, it's really amazing.

If I think about it, there's not one album I don't like (Skydancer being my least favourite), each one of them is different and even their demos kick ass I have a particular fondness for Projector because it's their most "experimental" release and I really enjoy the piano and Stanne's clean vocals.
19.05.2006 - 22:52
Arwen

maybe it's just that I was over-tired
Cause I fell asleep infront of the tent where they performed... First I was kind of hunting the front line but then as I said I was kind of dissapointed ... they didn't leave me an impression of powerful performance.
24.05.2006 - 19:42
Lucas
Mr. Noise
I've got the Lost To Apathy EP and I like it very much. It's very good, melodic metal.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
26.05.2006 - 03:40
Stigmatized
I can't believe I haven't posted here already and expressed my love for this band. Probably the most consistent group in metal. They have always stayed on their own path, never going by what someone else says. Much respect from me to Dark Tranquillity.
26.05.2006 - 10:42
RavenLord

Written by Deadsoulman on 19.05.2006 at 17:20

If I think about it, there's not one album I don't like (Skydancer being my least favourite), each one of them is different and even their demos kick ass I have a particular fondness for Projector because it's their most "experimental" release and I really enjoy the piano and Stanne's clean vocals.

Rather strangely, it's the other way around for me. I actually prefer the raw production and rapid pace of 'Skydancer' over the experimental sections of 'Projector'. I still like Projector, but I feel that Mikael overuses the clean vocals a bit much, and consequently he comes across as a bit melodramatic and whiny sometimes. Still damn good, for example 'The Sun Fired Blanks', among others.
----
30.05.2006 - 15:18
batwoman
Account deleted
i love all albums, but the best are Lost to Apathy and Damage Done... i don't know. they sound somehow different... somehow resonant and mature....
31.05.2006 - 18:13
#~|CoP Return|~#
Account deleted
The best Gothenburg band Imo! In comparison to At The Gates, Soilwork, In Flames...

Mickael Stanne is a great vocalist better than Lars frieden was and is with In Flames now... Their best Album IMO is 'The gallery' featuring their best song which is 'Lethe' . This is one of my favourite songs ever!!

Live they are quite good, I was a little disapointed when I went to see them in paris because Their presence was not as strong as I pictured It would be... But the show was nontheless great and especially the bass player really worked the croud

Nice band!
31.05.2006 - 21:35
SirHooke

I have one album (gift from friend) 'Damage Done' but I haven't listened to it yet. But when I see all positive comments here, I get the urge to do so now
I know they're a great band but I haven't really heard them; but, as I said, I will change this now.
I'm really into melodeath
31.05.2006 - 22:07
MH

DT is awesome. I guess The Gallery would be my favourite album of theirs. Btw, ordered Live Damage dvd last week, it should arrive soon by mail..
01.06.2006 - 08:39
Devolution

My favorite is absoloutly Mind's I it's the most complicated one great melodies , fuckin' great Lyrics they are the best of Stannes .... i wonder how come that people prefer projector on this wonderful album i think it's the best album ever in gothenberg metal ...... Stanne is legend .... i respect him very much because he walks his way .his own path ... not influenced by any other especially when they realeaased thier new album Charcter especially the biggening that scream and that powerful melody and the speed drums .... they are saying we want to get back to the old days to The Gallery, to Mind's I ............. damn i love this band so much
Who would say too "I prefer Mind's I" ?
----
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
01.06.2006 - 23:48
Proffesor Chaos
Account deleted
This is the best band with the best musicians. Skydancers, Alone and Bolt of Blazing Gold are excellent examples of their intellegence. This band will forever be a legend and i know that we all know that they have thoughts of expansion but lets hope that they don't expand too much.
Character is a must have album and i hope everyone agrees.
03.06.2006 - 13:33
Slottet av Take
Account deleted
Always been a huge fan of DT....but I probably wont ever be able to listen to "Single Part of Two" again cozz last Sunday i had a car crash while listening to it lol
03.06.2006 - 15:56
Sekhmet
Electric Witch
One of the best melodic death band ever!!
Mikael Stanne's vocals are simply amazing, I'd have never imagined so much emotion could be transmited through screams! As for my favourite album, I won't be original: it is "the Gallery", a real masterpiece!! "Character" isn't bad either, actually it's pretty good too!
----
I wish I had a mental survival kit...
04.06.2006 - 01:49
hottercraft

The best Gothenburg Metal band ever? Of course. Dark Tranquillity is probably one of the best groups that Sweden have produced. They really play a succesful music. Releases like "The Gallery" or "Damage Done" are really fucking masterpieces, they explore the Gothenburg world a lot, and they find to new elements for improve their music. Best songs: "Monochromatic Stains", "Lost To Apathy" and "Punish My Heaven".
A really succesful group. GOTHENBURG & MELODEATH & VIKING METAL 4LIFE!!!
04.06.2006 - 04:34
Eternal Flames

Definitely one of the best Gothenburg Metal bands, along with At The Gates. Mikael Stanne's vocals are great. In Flames and Dark Tranquillity basically made a trade in vocalists early in the career. I unfortunately haven't had the chance to hear their Skydancer album with Stanen on vocals though. My favourite albums would definitely be The Gallery, Damage Done and Character. Projector was also great.
09.06.2006 - 05:58
mvikred

my fav albums would be character, gallery and the mind's I and Damage Done .. i love the tracks, damage done and the monochromatic stains ...... simple compositions, yet melodic and very catchy . Their DVD was a very weakly produced one and i really dint like it ...though the songs were performed to perfection. the drumming and guitaring is very simple, but the melodies of the tracks compensate for that.
----
I'm addicted to Technical Death Metal ... Somebody save me
09.06.2006 - 11:00
RavenLord

Written by Devolution on 01.06.2006 at 08:39

My favorite is absoloutly Mind's I it's the most complicated one great melodies , fuckin' great Lyrics they are the best of Stannes .... i wonder how come that people prefer projector on this wonderful album i think it's the best album ever in gothenberg metal ...... Stanne is legend .... i respect him very much because he walks his way .his own path ... not influenced by any other especially when they realeaased thier new album Charcter especially the biggening that scream and that powerful melody and the speed drums .... they are saying we want to get back to the old days to The Gallery, to Mind's I ............. damn i love this band so much
Who would say too "I prefer Mind's I" ?

I must confess that I haven't heard Mind's I yet. I have, however, heard some of the tracks on the last.fm radio and saw the video for Hedon on you-tube a while back-it seems pretty good, more of the same as the stuff on The Gallery . In DT news, they're working on their new album (so soon after their tour!), and claim they are aiming to 'finish all songwriting for the end of 2006'. Can't wait, especially if it's as good as Character (although I would personally rather hear something in a different vein-variety is the key to DT's appeal)!
----
10.06.2006 - 04:47
Ibanez07
Account deleted
They and Disarmonia Mundi [recently] are my 2 favirote bands, but I still think DT comes out on top. I own Character and Exposures, great GREAT CDs, I'm looking to purchase Damage Done very soon. I've also heard a few songs from each album, so I have a clear picture of them. I think they just got better with addition of the keyboardist myself. Though I have never seen them live...they came to town on my dads birthday , so naturally I missed it. But I WILL see them someday.
10.06.2006 - 06:11
CreativeAngels
Account deleted
Well i love this band i both the Live Damage DVD and Damag Done Cd these guys rock, every song live back to back perfect the production could of been bettert through , MonoCormoticStains is one song i love.
10.06.2006 - 07:35
soundchaser
Account deleted
well... this is one of my first posts here... i think is worth to explain my little dark tranquillity story.

I agree with some of you that the best album is "The Gallery".... and then i think i have "Mind's I"
i have a special feeling about "Damage Done", maybe because it was my first DT's album... also my first DT's concert.

you're probably not gonna belive that but... the first time i saw DT was in a concert i went to see Sinergy.
it was also my first Sinergy concert, and after them.... wow!! who are these people?... dark... what?...
i remember my way back to home thinking of buying their last album... and the one with a song related to the zodiac
so i bought "damage done" and "the mind's i" after a little research.
i listened to the others albums and bought them one after another...

and the second and last time i saw them was when they came with Kreator... but they only played 45 minutes or so

so... my favourite album is "the gallery", and after that "the mind's i" (i have a friend with a tatoo of 2 mind's eyes in his back)
12.06.2006 - 02:41
Raft
Account deleted
Dark Tranquillity are amazing. They were the first band in melodic death metal style that I listened.:banger2:

I accept The Gallery album was a masterpiece. And the other albums have an specific feeling.

And nowadays that they have evolved in each album show the creativity of each member.

They are so fucking great !!!!!