Metal Storm logo
Dark Tranquillity

Original post

Posted by Eight, 17.05.2006 - 18:47
We all well know, who they are and why we love them, right.
Lets talk of "whats your favorite album?" and, why you like them so much youve entered this topic, and stuff, you know what we did allready

My favourite album is "Character", i don't know why, maybe becouse i havent really listened much to others, but when i heard "Character" i was blunted
And one interesting fact i found here on MS that Niklas Sundin from Dark Tranquillity wrote the In Flames "Whoracle" lyrics.
27.03.2009 - 00:15
Taktsekte
Your Ad Here!
Written by ms68 on 26.03.2009 at 09:54

Everybody knows that dt is a band which always had been in melodeath style. but each album of dt has its own world. [...] that mean u can't selecet an album of dt and say this is the best album.

That's what defines Dark Tranquillity. They always manage to release something new and amazing, without betraying their Melodeath roots, but always adding new elements to enrich the very music style. It's hard to compare their albums to each other, but I still consider Damage Done the pinnacle of Melodic Death Metal of all time. I mean, you have masterpieces such as "Monochromatic Stains", "The Treason Wall", "I, Deception", "White Noise / Black Silence"... I cannot think of any band other than Dark Tranquillity to always be able to surprise me with a superb release. There is absolutely no irrelevant DT album, or any release plagued with fillers, or any other weak aspect applicable to other bands.
27.03.2009 - 09:49
ms68
Written by Promonex on 27.03.2009 at 00:11

Everybody knows that dt is a band which always had been in melodeath style. but each album of dt has its own world. i mean if each album had it's own vocalist and it's own bandtitle nobody could recognise that all of these albums are created by one music group. unlike dt, in flames'albums always had similarity. for example u can compare jester race with whoracle, colony with clayman, reroute to remain with soundtrack to your escape and know with a sense of purpose they have entered to melodic-pop-metal .
that mean u can't selecet an album of dt and say this is the best album.
but for some reasons i always prefer the gallery and damage done

I have a mix CD of Haven and Damage Done in my car and if one didn't know the tracklists, one couldn't really tell when one CD finishes and the other begins. And I also believe that Character and Fiction are rather similar in style. Seeing how many people were disappointed that Fiction didn't live up to the promise of initiating a new era for DT I'm probably not the only one.

I don't know the one u are talking about. maybe he or she isn't a metal listener. but please read quite what i written then quote. i said if each album had its own vocalist. of course even a rapper can recognize vocal of mikael stanne.
about similarity of character and fiction i have nothing to say. imo character is one of the most aggressive albums of dt in contrast to fiction.
even lyrics writing of character and fiction is incomparable but i don't know what is the thing u called rather similarity. maybe vocal of mikael stanne or album production or sound of drum pedal:)
i don't think dissapointing of people because Fiction didn't live up has any relevance to similarity of albums(The thing we are talking about) but if u think so, tell me more clear.
----
The more you eat, the more you shit
No matter what you eat, it all turns to shit
27.03.2009 - 21:49
Promonex
Cathemeral
elite
Written by ms68 on 27.03.2009 at 09:49

Everybody knows that dt is a band which always had been in melodeath style. but each album of dt has its own world. i mean if each album had it's own vocalist and it's own bandtitle nobody could recognise that all of these albums are created by one music group. unlike dt, in flames'albums always had similarity. for example u can compare jester race with whoracle, colony with clayman, reroute to remain with soundtrack to your escape and know with a sense of purpose they have entered to melodic-pop-metal .

I have a mix CD of Haven and Damage Done in my car and if one didn't know the tracklists, one couldn't really tell when one CD finishes and the other begins. And I also believe that Character and Fiction are rather similar in style. Seeing how many people were disappointed that Fiction didn't live up to the promise of initiating a new era for DT I'm probably not the only one.

I don't know the one u are talking about. maybe he or she isn't a metal listener. but please read quite what i written then quote. i said if each album had its own vocalist. of course even a rapper can recognize vocal of mikael stanne.
about similarity of character and fiction i have nothing to say. imo character is one of the most aggressive albums of dt in contrast to fiction.
even lyrics writing of character and fiction is incomparable but i don't know what is the thing u called rather similarity. maybe vocal of mikael stanne or album production or sound of drum pedal:)
i don't think dissapointing of people because Fiction didn't live up has any relevance to similarity of albums(The thing we are talking about) but if u think so, tell me more clear.

Listen to Character's "Senses Tied" and Fiction's "Terminus (Where Death Is Most Alive)". Both songs start with a very similar keyboard intro, a short mid-tempo stomp, then vocals enter and the music picks up pace. No sir, I am not talking about the production as Character is clearly a lot heavier than Fiction, but even if (if!) there were two different vocalists on both releases anyone should be able to see a pattern in the way the guitars and keys are played, and in the overall songwriting.

The way you say it one gets the impression that you consider Mikael Stanne's vocals to be the only unique part of the band's sound and that without him you couldn't really tell that it's DT playing. There's more to DT than just his vocals and it would be terrible if it was any different.

Oh, and the "one" I was talking about was generally speaking. But if you desperately need this "one" to be a specific person, that specific person would be a DT fan and listen to metal for 15 years.
----
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu... This is the truth! This is my belief! ...At least for now.
- The Mystery of Life, Vol. 841 Ch. 26
28.03.2009 - 02:41
Darkside Momo
Retired
elite

I don't really agree here, because Haven has much more emphasis on the keyboards. However, they sure have similarities (especially production-wise)
Written by Promonex on 27.03.2009 at 21:49

Listen to Character's "Senses Tied" and Fiction's "Terminus (Where Death Is Most Alive)". Both songs start with a very similar keyboard intro, a short mid-tempo stomp, then vocals enter and the music picks up pace. No sir, I am not talking about the production as Character is clearly a lot heavier than Fiction, but even if (if!) there were two different vocalists on both releases anyone should be able to see a pattern in the way the guitars and keys are played, and in the overall songwriting.

The way you say it one gets the impression that you consider Mikael Stanne's vocals to be the only unique part of the band's sound and that without him you couldn't really tell that it's DT playing. There's more to DT than just his vocals and it would be terrible if it was any different.

Oh, and the "one" I was talking about was generally speaking. But if you desperately need this "one" to be a specific person, that specific person would be a DT fan and listen to metal for 15 years.

I personnaly find some differences between Character and Fiction, especially in the mood (Character is much more dark), but I agree that the songwriting hasn't really evolved from one album to the other. They do what they do awesomely well (official fanboy here) but I could welcome some change, as they did before. Each album from Skydancer to Haven included are quite different from each other, but still unmistakably DT...
And, one last word about Fiction. They did something different on this one and it's easily the most intersting track: Inside The Particle Storm
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
28.03.2009 - 05:02
Promonex
Cathemeral
elite
Written by Darkside Momo on 28.03.2009 at 02:41

And, one last word about Fiction. They did something different on this one and it's easily the most intersting track: Inside The Particle Storm

Dimmed lights. Subtle blue tones illuminate the stage hidden under a cloak of mist. The first notes enter your ears. You close your eyes. Your mind enters a state of nervous anticipation while the music picks up pace. A short break. A guitar proclaims the coming of the storm. You feel it drawing nearer as the fog of sound thickens. And all of a sudden the speakers open the floodgates. A deluge of noise drowns your every thought. Flashing white light forces you to gaze at the stage. An eerie figure steps forth from the fog. Its diabolical voice speaks words of misanthropy, words that make you feel miserable, words you cannot resist, words you utter along as if they were your own. The voice, the noise, the lights, they overload your senses. Adrenalin floods your body. You feel unconscious, your mind totally numbed as the figure seems to take possession of your soul...
Applause awakens you from a state of hypnosis. You still breathe heavily as your thoughts slowly crawl back into place. You have no idea what was going on for the past five minutes, but whatever it was, you crave for more.

Best moment of my year 2009 so far. And I still suffer from the withdrawal.
----
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu... This is the truth! This is my belief! ...At least for now.
- The Mystery of Life, Vol. 841 Ch. 26
28.03.2009 - 06:38
ms68
Written by Promonex on 27.03.2009 at 21:49

Written by ms68 on 27.03.2009 at 09:49

I have listened to Character's "Senses Tied" and Fiction's "Terminus (Where Death Is Most Alive)" more than 50 times and I didn’t find similarity between their keyboard intros. Maybe this sentence be true “keyboard intro, a short mid-tempo stomp, then vocals enter and the music picks up pace.” But it’s not similarity. This is like you say Track X and Track Y are similar because both of them start with drum beat and end with guitar solo.
I don’t say that Mikael Stanne is only unique part of band. All of them are unique and I love them and they are my favorite band. You misunderstood. I said their style of music always changes but people can recognize vocal in each album.
It’s none of my business that how many years you’ve listened to metal and before your post I wasn’t interested to know but I think everybody can distinguish those differences between DT’s albums.
At last, I’m not agreeing with you and I know that you don’t need my agreement too.
Thx for your post
----
28.03.2009 - 10:21
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher

DT include two styles of "changing their music from album to album".

the first one that has happened in the 2 occasions you've mentioned is to take a bigger step from the last album and make something A BIT different. but different. surely there are similarities but there are also differences. This is for example how Death kept going. every album of them had new elements but also had similarites with past albums. EVERY.

the second one which you can see it from the minds i ---> projector, projector --->haven, damage done--->character is that they make big sound changes. They leave the "melodic death" part and change ALL the others.

And last something else not for you but for everybody here: WHAT THE FUCK is going on with FICTION??????? it may have similarities with Character but it is not the same and it is GREAT!!! Fiction has something that DT never had too much: ATMOSPHERE. This makes it unique comparing it with DT's other releases...
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
31.03.2009 - 00:34
ms68
Written by Deadmeat on 28.03.2009 at 10:21

DT include two styles of "changing their music from album to album".

the first one that has happened in the 2 occasions you've mentioned is to take a bigger step from the last album and make something A BIT different. but different. surely there are similarities but there are also differences. This is for example how Death kept going. every album of them had new elements but also had similarites with past albums. EVERY.

the second one which you can see it from the minds i ---> projector, projector --->haven, damage done--->character is that they make big sound changes. They leave the "melodic death" part and change ALL the others.

And last something else not for you but for everybody here: WHAT THE FUCK is going on with FICTION??????? it may have similarities with Character but it is not the same and it is GREAT!!! Fiction has something that DT never had too much: ATMOSPHERE. This makes it unique comparing it with DT's other releases...

but i find fiction boring. Fiction has some tracks that i really love like icipher, terminus, the mundane and the magic. but i think unlike other albums of DT, almost all tracks of Fiction are similar. for example u can compare that with Projector. in Projector you really can't find any similarity between therein, auctioned, the sun fired blanks and day to end. but in Fiction lesser fate and misery crown are similar. blind at heart and empty me and nothing to no one are similar and also other tracks.
----
31.03.2009 - 00:37
Wonderlost
Account deleted
No words needed, their music is the air I breathe.
My biggest dream is to see them live. Then you can kill me, I'd die happy.
31.03.2009 - 05:04
Go Forth Or Die
Account deleted
Dark tranquility has some pretty damn good songs i find myself listening to them a lot on occasions.
31.03.2009 - 07:37
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Written by ms68 on 31.03.2009 at 00:34

but i find fiction boring. Fiction has some tracks that i really love like icipher, terminus, the mundane and the magic. but i think unlike other albums of DT, almost all tracks of Fiction are similar. for example u can compare that with Projector. in Projector you really can't find any similarity between therein, auctioned, the sun fired blanks and day to end. but in Fiction lesser fate and misery crown are similar. blind at heart and empty me and nothing to no one are similar and also other tracks.

no man i do not agree. especialy about the 3 songs you mentioned. we had many years to hear so many blastbeats in DT's songs and IMO it's a pleasure that they've put some! maybe i am a fanatic with the band, SORRY!!!
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
17.05.2009 - 21:14
ms68
Written by Guest on 06.02.2009 at 19:02

Written by Ascendant187 on 06.02.2009 at 18:50

Written by Guest on 06.02.2009 at 18:41

Written by Ascendant187 on 06.02.2009 at 17:18

Written by Guest on 06.02.2009 at 17:08

You'll find plenty of good recommendations on here. If anything I'm sometimes overwhelmed, knowing that I can't quite own everything I want to.

I agree! Ha I know I'm new to the world of Metal, but there is so much to choose from that I barely know where to begin. Luckily, my boyfriend has showed me many bands to begin with.

Do you have any other suggestions? I'm into the melodic death metal as for now...and i am very open-minded to new genres of metal as well!

if you are really open mind i recommend you http://www.metalstorm.ee/bands/album.php?album_id=3333
But enjoying from this album really needs an open mind for growl vocal and because of this lots of people underrate this.
----
24.05.2009 - 01:32
Ag Fox
Angel No More
elite
Can someone explain to me why I like fiction so much more than character? I cannot pinpoint it myself >:
----
loves 小巫
24.05.2009 - 20:32
BloodTears
ANA-thema
elite
Because you're silly. Character is better than Fiction
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
24.05.2009 - 21:02
Diabolos
Space For Rent!
Written by BloodTears on 24.05.2009 at 20:32

Haha, I have to agree on that one (although The Gallery is by far their best imo )
24.05.2009 - 21:05
BloodTears
ANA-thema
elite
Written by Diabolos on 24.05.2009 at 21:02

Haha, I have to agree on that one (although The Gallery is by far their best imo )

I agree that The Gallery is DT's best album too but we are a minority I'm afraid.
----

My Instagram
24.05.2009 - 21:07
Diabolos
Space For Rent!
Written by BloodTears on 24.05.2009 at 21:05

I agree that The Gallery is DT's best album too but we are a minority I'm afraid.

Isn't it one of their highest rated albums? I like it the most anyway and "Lethe" is just one of the most beautiful songs ever!
24.05.2009 - 22:23
BloodTears
ANA-thema
elite
Written by Diabolos on 24.05.2009 at 21:07

Isn't it one of their highest rated albums? I like it the most anyway and "Lethe" is just one of the most beautiful songs ever!

I think most people prefer Projector, at lest that's what I read here for the most part.
----

My Instagram
24.05.2009 - 23:41
Abattoir
staff
Written by BloodTears on 24.05.2009 at 22:23

I think most people prefer Projector, at lest that's what I read here for the most part.

Well, I think that Damage Done album is still a little bit more preferable than Projector However, it is kinda difficult to choose the best one out of their discography.
25.05.2009 - 02:16
Warman
Erotic Stains
Probably "Haven" for me, it's very majestic and very easy to get into. Dark Tranquillity has never been a "deep" band for me, so I prefer when their music is right on.
----
25.05.2009 - 08:01
Jason W.
Razorbliss
staff
Although I find "The Gallery" quite enjoyable and surely an important release for the band, I pick "Projector" without a doubt. It's got all the emotion I want in music, but also has a classic gothenburg style as well. And unlike their most recent releases, I'm never tired of the vocals on "Projector," because there is so much diversity in it. The latter albums are just so monotone to me as whole albums.
----
"After silence that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." - Aldous Huxley
25.05.2009 - 15:43
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher

i think the gallery, damage done and character are the most recognized here and generally albums of DT. although i like a bit more fiction. projector is not their best only for one reason. cause it is the least "in their style" album and so although it is great it will never be known as a "classic" DT album...
----
25.05.2009 - 16:53
BloodTears
ANA-thema
elite
Written by Deadmeat on 25.05.2009 at 15:43

i think the gallery, damage done and character are the most recognized here and generally albums of DT. although i like a bit more fiction. projector is not their best only for one reason. cause it is the least "in their style" album and so although it is great it will never be known as a "classic" DT album...

Still "Projector", "Damage Done" and "The Gallery" are the ones usually featured on the favourite's lists. So, at least we have a pattern there. As for "Character", it's certainly my favourite and a lot of people find it to be the best thing they done.

The thing with DT though is that all of them are consistently good, the big question is which ones are actually great.
----

My Instagram
25.05.2009 - 17:57
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Written by BloodTears on 25.05.2009 at 16:53

Still "Projector", "Damage Done" and "The Gallery" are the ones usually featured on the favourite's lists. So, at least we have a pattern there. As for "Character", it's certainly my favourite and a lot of people find it to be the best thing they done.

The thing with DT though is that all of them are consistently good, the big question is which ones are actually great.

probalbly all of them... they work great as a team and it is proven after so many years...
----
25.05.2009 - 18:03
Bad English
Tage Westerlund

I like firts albums from band those 1992, 1993 I have no original but I have herad I like those more old school sound but Projector I love because of one song its ThereIn best song from band no doubt about it, best lyricaly song to
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
04.06.2009 - 11:57
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Does anybody else except me think that "Through Smudged Lenses" is a fuckin great song???
----
04.06.2009 - 13:00
BloodTears
ANA-thema
elite
It's obvious is it a great song. The mood on that song is amazing, apart from the noticeable headbanging moments.
----

My Instagram
04.06.2009 - 13:09
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Written by BloodTears on 04.06.2009 at 13:00

the noticeable headbanging moments.

these are some of the best moments i've ever heard!!!
----
04.06.2009 - 19:26
Ascendant187
Written by BloodTears on 25.05.2009 at 16:53

The Gallery is my favourite DT album by far. Projector and Damage Done are up there... but they just don't compare for me when I take into consideration when The Gallery was released, what it did/achieved and how awesome it sounds.
04.06.2009 - 20:47
Janne
Hugin
Written by Warman on 25.05.2009 at 02:16

Probably "Haven" for me, it's very majestic and very easy to get into. Dark Tranquillity has never been a "deep" band for me, so I prefer when their music is right on.

It's very true for me. I got into Haven after the 1st listening. But it wasn't so easy with Gallery. Now I like both albums but Haven is my favourite because of its great softness. The keyboard work is awesome on the album.
----
age]

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-