Metal Storm logo
Discuss about your favorite debut albums.

Original post

Posted by Elyar S., 31.07.2010 - 02:13
Today when I commented on In Mourning's debut album called Shrouded Divine; decided to open this topic. Its interesting for me to hear best debut albums because I think bands with best debuts are so important. It shows that they did something special in that time before they become famous, I can mention another new band with a very good debut album like A Fores of Stars with The Corpse Of Rebirth.

But lets talk about some important albums in history of metal like Iron Maiden's Iron Maiden which is a masterpiece for sure, those melodic guitars with Paul's strong vocals and Steve's unique bass sound. A masterpiece instrumental song like "Transylvania" or one of the best ballads of metal ever like "Remember Tomorrow" and yes born of NWOBHM maybe.

Or take a look at Metallica's Kill 'Em All album and born of thrash metal. A brutal instrumental song by adorable Cliff Burton . And songs like "The Four Horseman" or "Seek and Destroy" ...

Godfathers of metal Black Sabbath started with Black Sabbath in 1970 and made the history of metal with songs like "Black Sabbath" and "N.I.B" and brought us doom and heavy metal.

I can talk a lot and mention a lot of other albums but its better to see what you think all?
11.08.2010 - 01:49
Elyar S.
Gud är Död
Written by bkrownd on 11.08.2010 at 01:26

Aside from the obvious choices from Megadeth, Mercyful Fate, Venom, Yngwie, ...

thankz for mentioning Yngwie and you mean Rising Force album for sure. If it was in my mind when I was opening this thread I would mention it for sure. This album gave birth to Neo-classical metal(or whatever you call it rock or ...) I think. I love that album and 2 next albums too.
----
Kiss my ass if you dont like me, I dont care.
14.08.2010 - 01:15
bkrownd

Yngwie's first album Rising Force was so short...it's almost like a preview for Marching Out, more than a full album on its own. Sort of an outline for what Yngwie would (could have) become - a set of sketches instead of a finished product. Nevertheless, that's where the Yngwie sound got its start for those of us who hadn't heard of him before. It was very distinctive at the time. Many great memories of that one.

For me, Marching Out is one of the classic top metal albums of the 1980's - that thing shreds, rips and explodes all at once, and will never get old.
15.08.2010 - 19:52
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by bkrownd on 14.08.2010 at 01:15

Yngwie's first album Rising Force was so short...it's almost like a preview for Marching Out, more than a full album on its own. Sort of an outline for what Yngwie would (could have) become - a set of sketches instead of a finished product. Nevertheless, that's where the Yngwie sound got its start for those of us who hadn't heard of him before. It was very distinctive at the time. Many great memories of that one.

For me, Marching Out is one of the classic top metal albums of the 1980's - that thing shreds, rips and explodes all at once, and will never get old.

Rising Force short? Just under 40 minutes, which was quite normal for the time, and Marching Out is only about 6 minutes longer.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

15.08.2010 - 20:48
CzirjakMan

Van Halen's debut is the best. Sure its not metal but it contributed so much to metal and hard rock that someone's got to mention it yeah?
15.08.2010 - 23:08
Davemetalhead

I offer -

Black Sabbath: Black Sabbath
Led Zeppelin: Led Zeppelin
Van Halen: Van Halen
Heart: Dreamboat Annie
AC/DC: High Voltage
Iron Maiden: Iron Maiden
Dio: Holy Diver
Guns 'n' Roses: Appetite For Destruction
Iced Earth: Iced Earth
Judas Priest: Rocka Rolla
Marillion: Script For A Jesters Tear
Jethro Tull: This Was
Metallica: Kill 'em All
Annihilator: Alice In Hell
Machine Head: Burn My Eyes
Evile: Enter The Grave
Overkill: Feel The Fire
Ozzy: Blizzard of Ozz
Jackyl: Jackyl
Love/Hate: Blackout In The Red Room
Thunder: Back Street Symphony
Tank: Filth Hounds Of Hades
W.A.S.P.: W.A.S.P.
Cinderella: Night Songs
KISS: KISS

I suspect some of these are not "heavy" enough to go down too well around here

EDIT: Aw man, how could I forget - Twisted Sister: Under The Blade
----
http://www.last.fm/user/Nuraalek
17.08.2010 - 21:21
Elyar S.
Gud är Död
Written by bkrownd on 14.08.2010 at 01:15

I love Marching Out too but we are talking about Debuts.
----
18.08.2010 - 03:47
ErnilEnNaur
Account deleted
Not sure if it's been mentioned or not, but "Wintersun" is pretty obvious. Also, Ayreon's "The Final Experiment", Star One's "Space Metal", Avantasia's "The Metal Opera".
18.08.2010 - 05:36
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Davemetalhead on 15.08.2010 at 23:08

Love/Hate: Blackout In The Red Room
Thunder: Back Street Symphony

I suspect some of these are not "heavy" enough to go down too well around here

Meh, both of those albums are great! lol I still own my autographed vinyl of Back Street Symphony.

Some more of my faves:

Exodus - Bonded By Blood
Edguy - The Savage Poetry
Nile - Amongst The Catacombs Of Nephren-Ka
King Diamond - Fatal Portrait
Sabbat - History Of A Time To Come
Machine Head - Burn My Eyes
Dismember - Like An Ever Flowing Stream
Kreator - Endless Pain
Slayer - Show No Mercy
Suicidal Tendencies - Suicidal Tendenciea
Dissection - The Somberlain
Living Colour - Vivid
Anathema - Serenades
Death Breath - Death Breath
Queen - Queen
Sex Machineguns - Sex Machineguns
22.08.2010 - 17:31
consign2oblivion

Guns' one!

Sorry but... it's a very bad obsession...

And Holy Diver.
22.08.2010 - 19:09
ForeverDarkWoods

Wouldn't it be better if people actually wrote a little something about what they think about the albums they post instead of just posting pointless lists to increase post count?
----
Free nations are peaceful nations. Free nations don't attack each other. Free nations don't develop weapons of mass destruction!
- George W. Bush, ex-president of the United States of America
23.08.2010 - 07:09
whatsacow

It may have been said before but: Diablo Swing Orchestra - The Butchers Ballroom

Hands down the greatest debut albums of this decade imo.
----
When God made up the golden rule, do you think he noticed that it condones rape?
29.08.2010 - 22:30
Elyar S.
Gud är Död
One of my very favorite debut albums is "Sound of Pain" I think its time to have a new album by Uaral, I missed them so much.
----
30.08.2010 - 13:24
InnerSelf
proofread free
Written by Elyar S. on 29.08.2010 at 22:30

One of my very favorite debut albums is "Sound of Pain" I think its time to have a new album by Uaral, I missed them so much.

I was sure I missed out one album
Sounds of Pain is amazing , though not everyone might like Uaral's work but to me they are one of the best Post-Doom bands
----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.
30.08.2010 - 13:27
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by InnerSelf on 30.08.2010 at 13:24

Sounds of Pain is amazing , though not everyone might like Uaral's work but to me they are one of the best Post-Doom bands

I wouldn't call them post-doom myself. Pure folk doom to my ears.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

30.08.2010 - 13:31
InnerSelf
proofread free
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 30.08.2010 at 13:27

Written by InnerSelf on 30.08.2010 at 13:24

I wouldn't call them post-doom myself. Pure folk doom to my ears.

Well Folk Doom might be more proper but their music is slightly different from the usual Folk\.... it has something more to it so I thought Post-Doom would do it
----
is not bold enough
30.08.2010 - 13:34
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by InnerSelf on 30.08.2010 at 13:31

Well Folk Doom might be more proper but their music is slightly different from the usual Folk\.... it has something more to it so I thought Post-Doom would do it

Well, I regard Process Of Guilt as post doom. So, you propbably understand that then I don't consider anything post (whatever) in Uaral's sound at all.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

30.08.2010 - 13:47
InnerSelf
proofread free
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 30.08.2010 at 13:34

Well, I regard Process Of Guilt as post doom. So, you propbably understand that then I don't consider anything post (whatever) in Uaral's sound at all.

The first thing that went through my mind when I read your first post was PoG , we cannot compare both bands and definitely cannot put them under the same label .... so yeah I get you
----
is not bold enough
30.08.2010 - 13:53
Elyar S.
Gud är Död
Written by InnerSelf on 30.08.2010 at 13:47

The first thing that went through my mind when I read your first post was PoG , we cannot compare both bands and definitely cannot put them under the same label .... so yeah I get you

I dont know what is a PoG but as Marcel Said I dont think if it is a Post doom and we have to remember that Uaral is influenced by Empyrium.
----
30.08.2010 - 13:55
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Elyar S. on 30.08.2010 at 13:53

Written by InnerSelf on 30.08.2010 at 13:47

I dont know what is a PoG but as Marcel Said I dont think if it is a Post doom and we have to remember that Uaral is influenced by Empyrium.

PoG = Process Of Guilt. Yes there is a lot of Empyrium influence in Uaral's sound. And Empyrium I regard more as folk gothic doom
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

31.08.2010 - 00:24
FlyingWhale

Rage Against the Machine - Rage Against the Machine.

Their first and their best. A kickass album with all the power, aggression and political messages you expect from Rage.
01.09.2010 - 21:51
ProjectEndgame
Account deleted
Killing Is My Business... and Business Is Good - Megadeth

As a starting album, it was awesome for Megadeth. And then they released Peace Sells, Rust In Peace and Countdown To Extinction. After that, that album got destroyed...
01.09.2010 - 21:54
Daniell
_爱情_
Basically, 95% of people who post here name the debut albums of their favourite bands, thus making this thread quite pointless
02.09.2010 - 01:46
Elyar S.
Gud är Död
Written by Daniell on 01.09.2010 at 21:54

Basically, 95% of people who post here name the debut albums of their favourite bands, thus making this thread quite pointless

I dont think that 95% is a good guess. Because a lot of ppl didnt talk about Megadeth's debut lol (just kidding). A lot of ppl over here mentioned good debuts I think, a lot of unknown bands for example but we have to accept that ppl can talk about famous bands too because as we know these famous bands made the genres and the music so a lot of them started good for sure.
----
11.10.2010 - 21:48
Vonpire

Well one of best recent debuts (if not best) - Wine From Tears - Through the Eyes of a Mad
----
Beware the Shadows of Dusk
13.10.2010 - 17:48
MeTalRea|istiK

Angra - angels cry
27.10.2010 - 10:26
MetalFist
Account deleted
Kill 'Em All - Metallica, was a great album, and continues to smash most metal albums that come out today.
Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden was fantastic, great time for NWBM and is massively influential.
Scream Bloody Gore - Death was a great infuence on death metal, and is incredibly great.
Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath, considered by many as the first 'metal' record, and sounds great too, with many tracks.
Holy Diver - Dio, amazing album, great stuff. IMO this is one of the best metal albums ever recorded. In my top 30 at least.

My fave debuts ^_^
27.10.2010 - 21:40
Winterthrone

I would say:

Ensiferum-Ensiferum: I was blown away the first time I listened to that album! I really liked the fusion they made between Powermetal, Folk, Black Metal and Death Metal. I really wished they kept that sound intact...

Metallica-Kill'Em All: One of the first Thrash Metal album I listened to at the age of 8! I fell in love with the raw aggression and the powerful vocals!

Death-Scream Bloody Gore: A masterpiece of Thrash/Death, heavy as fuck....

Kreator-Endless Pain: A bad production but awesome blackened thrash songs!

Black Sabbath-Black Sabbath: The album that created Metal...What can I add?

Helloween-The Walls Of Jericho: The perfect mix between Thrashy riffs and melody...Powermetal with balls! Starlight, Ride The Sky, Victim Of Fate...

Iron Maiden-Iron Maiden: The ugliest album art for this NWOBHM masterpiece!

Angelwitch-Angelwitch: Listening to this album, one will say this band should have become leaders of NWOBHM...but the music industry got the best of them!

Rammstein-Herzeleid: The first time they got in the studio they succeeded at blending techno-sounds with heavy guitar riffs and grotesque vocals to create the perfect german industrial metal album!

Dissection-The Somberlain: What an awesome way to start a carreer to succeed at blending death and black metal at a time when the two genres were opposed!

Satyricon-Dark Medieval Times: One of the best Norwegian black metal outfits started with one of the best albums of the genre.

Enslaved-Vikingligr Veldi: " ".

Summoning-Lugburz: At the beginning they had real drums, less keyboards and blood curling vocals and the less I could say is that it worked well with me even if I like the sound they developped after that first album.

Darkthrone-Soulside Journey: They started off being death metal somewhat technical ebfore they turned to raw black metal and then they turned punk metal. This album is a very good death metal album with satanic lyrics and I think it was underrated by a lot of people because it is very different from what Darkthrone became afterwards.

Children Of Bodom-Something Wild: Melody, aggression and speed...I love it!
04.11.2010 - 18:26
Luneth
Account deleted
Celesty- Reign of Elements
Ancient Bards- Alliance of Kings
Dragonland- Starfall
Versailles- Noble
Sonata Arctica- Ecliptica [best, really]
Wintersun- Wintersun
Dystera- Journey into the Shadows
04.11.2010 - 18:34
Luneth
Account deleted
Written by Daniell on 01.09.2010 at 21:54

Well obviously...surely discussing 'YOUR' favourite album entails discussing the album of the bands YOU like...isn't that obvious? Why would I talk about a band I don't like? Doesn't it stand to reason that a band you like will have a good debut album...hence why you listen to them...I'm not a huge fan of Blind Guardian for instance...so I don't like their debut much, however I AM a big fan of Labyrinth, but I don't particularly like their debut either...so it's kinda self explanatory in my view.
25.12.2013 - 03:40
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
Katatonia's Dance of December Souls is my personal favorite debut release out of all the debuts that I've heard. It just had its 20th anniversary earlier this month, and I think it's such an amazing slice of classic death/doom. I know Katatonia switched styles soon after this album, but the stuff they released after this album is just as amazing (if not even more, which I believe is). It's still such a great stand-alone record in my opinion.
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).