04. Buried Alive
05. Natural Born Killer
06. So Far Away
07. God Hates Us
08. Victim
09. Tonight The World Dies
10. Fiction
11. Save Me

Frankly, this album sucks. It really does. I had never listened to A7X before and going in to the review I had hoped it would at least be decent.

It's not.

I could list everything that I thought was wrong with this album, but apparently it'd be too long for most of your ADD-addled brains to handle. So here's the short version.

I figured out about three minutes in it's basically the same blueprint as Metallica, only modernized. Radio-friendly rock music with enough of a metal edge to convince angsty teenagers it's "dangerous" or something.

The album has more ballads than a "Best of Aerosmith Since '88" box set and even during aggressive songs the band still finds time to pop their testicles back in Warner Music's purse and wuss out. The closest thing this album has to an start-to-finish aggressive song is "God Hate's Us" ? outside of a useless breakdown in the middle... but even four minutes of distortion is too edgy for the accountants, so this otherwise pretty decent song has to close with a clean outro.

Hetfield-esq barking for verses, with an annoying almost nasal second vocal style used all too frequently, with catchy choruses. The dude at least has a decent voice when he doesn't switch to the annoying tone. The guitarist has some chops.

But ultimately the entire album feels more like a creation of what a Record Exec's idea of a (highly profitable) metal album should sound like, rather than what a metal enthusiast is likely to think a metal album should be. I guess the suits knew what they were doing, as apparently this was the top "purchased" album on iTunes last week.

But I imagine their target audience is certainly not the MetalStorm audience. I don't like it. And I imagine the vast majority of you won't either.

Avoid like the plague.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 7
Songwriting: 4
Originality: 4
Production: 9

Written on 31.07.2010 by BitterCOld has been officially reviewing albums for MetalStorm since 2009.

Comments page 2 / 6

Comments: 172   Visited by: 870 users
01.08.2010 - 06:03
Rating: 10
Sephiros
The fact is music being an art form we can only give our opinions on things and see what we collectively agree on. Stating that the new album Nightmare is garbage is just pure ignorance intended to start a forum fire. I have a philosophy when it comes to music "It's wrong to like something because nobody else does, and it's wrong to hate something because everyone else enjoys it."

What I mean by that is I've been fed up with people who immediately dismiss something just because of it's mainstream success, I'm fed up with people who only enjoy somebody because of their mainstream success, but most of all I completely and utterly cannot stand people who intentionally enjoy only bands who are NOT on the radio.

My favorite band is Dream Theater. In my eyes they crush everyone in terms of musicianship and writing ability but that's just my opinion. And I genuinely like Dream Theater not because of their lack of radio play (the gay kid at school that thinks he's cool cause he listens to underground bands) but because of their talent.

That being said I'm also a huge fan of A7X, they're all over the radio this everybody knows but they certainly do not conform in any way nor is their material directed by the record label or "suits" as our intelligent friend "bittercold" so aptly put it. Yes they have ballads but who f*ing cares, if you don't like ballads go listen to what pleases you. The bottom line is A7X has increadible musicianship, far more than your average growling cookie cutter shredding band does. They write all of their songs without any outside help and are not forced by anyone to change their sound to better fit the label's desires.

It may sound blasphemous but if you take the stick out of your ass and listen with a completely unbiased ear to "Buried Alive" it could easily find a home on MOP or AJFA if you visualize hetfield on lyrics. It's obvious Metallica was one of their main influences and whether you want to admit it or not they are one of the most talented bands out there.

If you didn't like the album for whatever personal reasons you prefer to love the unknowns and hate the popular bands then at least say so in a respectful way, especially after the band (and fans) are going through the pain of losing the Rev.
01.08.2010 - 06:57
bluemobiusx
Account deleted
Written by Sephiros on 01.08.2010 at 06:03

The fact is music being an art form we can only give our opinions on things and see what we collectively agree on. Stating that the new album Nightmare is garbage is just pure ignorance intended to start a forum fire. I have a philosophy when it comes to music "It's wrong to like something because nobody else does, and it's wrong to hate something because everyone else enjoys it."

What I mean by that is I've been fed up with people who immediately dismiss something just because of it's mainstream success, I'm fed up with people who only enjoy somebody because of their mainstream success, but most of all I completely and utterly cannot stand people who intentionally enjoy only bands who are NOT on the radio.

My favorite band is Dream Theater. In my eyes they crush everyone in terms of musicianship and writing ability but that's just my opinion. And I genuinely like Dream Theater not because of their lack of radio play (the gay kid at school that thinks he's cool cause he listens to underground bands) but because of their talent.

That being said I'm also a huge fan of A7X, they're all over the radio this everybody knows but they certainly do not conform in any way nor is their material directed by the record label or "suits" as our intelligent friend "bittercold" so aptly put it. Yes they have ballads but who f*ing cares, if you don't like ballads go listen to what pleases you. The bottom line is A7X has increadible musicianship, far more than your average growling cookie cutter shredding band does. They write all of their songs without any outside help and are not forced by anyone to change their sound to better fit the label's desires.

It may sound blasphemous but if you take the stick out of your ass and listen with a completely unbiased ear to "Buried Alive" it could easily find a home on MOP or AJFA if you visualize hetfield on lyrics. It's obvious Metallica was one of their main influences and whether you want to admit it or not they are one of the most talented bands out there.

If you didn't like the album for whatever personal reasons you prefer to love the unknowns and hate the popular bands then at least say so in a respectful way, especially after the band (and fans) are going through the pain of losing the Rev.

The reviewer didn't like the album, so get over it. If you didn't like an album from a band, would you write a positive review about it? Maybe people don't like or dislike albums because of popularity or lack there of, maybe BitterCOld just plain didn't like it. When I listen to something, it has nothing to do with how many other people like the band or not, it has everything to do with whether I like it or not. And if I don't like it then that's my opinion, and I'm sure the reviewer is entitled to his own opinion.
01.08.2010 - 07:11
Rating: 4
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin

i didn't immediately dismiss this album. i listened to it, honestly. and i did not like it.

i really don't give a shit about what's cool or not. my favorite album ever by my favorite band ever featured their highest charting single ever (Cure/Disintegration/"Love Song" which peaked at 2 or 4 in the US)... it was popular. it's still popular. it's still my favorite album ever. other bands i listen to aren't cool.

as for cool, being a married 37yo, for the most part, listening to metal is UNcool. at least with the people i like to hang around IRL.

furthermore this is an internet site. I've been here six years now. i've met exactly ONE Metalstormer in real life, so i have even less to "prove" to a virtual community than i do the people i know in real life.

i'm fed up with people who immediately assume that just because a reviewer didn't like an album they do that the reviewer has some form of agenda and lacks the ability to analyze music in a remotely objective manner. the comments in this review mark the third time in two weeks i've responded to such bullshit comments. (The other two times were directed at two different MS reviewers).

the album is boring, safe, radio-friendly crap. (there is stuff that is radio-friendly and not crap. this album is not one of them).

the beauty of opinions is you can have yours, i can have mine and both are correct.

the difference is i won't slag on you and denigrate your reasons for having an opinion which differs from mine.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
01.08.2010 - 08:16
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Damn right you listened to this album. You even wrote a fucking journal about it!

PS - "A7X" (nice try-hard alias) is the Nickelback of the metal community.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
01.08.2010 - 11:30
Angelic Storm
Melodious

Geez, I cant seem to escape from this subject these days... lol

While I definitely do agree that there are metalheads who dismiss certain metal purely because it is popular, and purposely try to only listen to obscure unknown bands to appear "true to metal", that doesnt mean that everyone who dismisses something popular is doing so to appear "cool". The problem is, how do you tell the difference between a blind elitist who is slamming something popular in order to protect some pathetic "tr00" image, and those who genuinely dont like it? You can usually tell by the type of language used, and by the way they criticise the band/album.

Im about as anti-elitist as you can get, and treat "tr00" elitists opinions with just as much disdain, if not even more so than those of blind fanboys. To me, they are just as bad as each other. I listened to the title track of "Nightmare", and it just didnt do anything for me. Yep, I wouldnt be at all surprised if there are some people who dismiss it just because the band is popular (especially any band popular with "scene kids" is seen as an "arch enemy of tr00 metal" ) and are trying to fit in with the popular opinion on metal sites like this. But you cannot accuse everyone who doesnt like it of having that mindset. People have different tastes, and this seems to be the one thing that both fanboys and tr00 elitists have a hard time getting to grips with. Disagreeing is fine, but pulling someone down just because their opinion on music disagress with yours is quite another. This is usually the easiest way of spotting a tr00 elitist, or a blind fanboy. They cannot merely disagree with your opinion, they also have to rubbish its credibility.

While I do agree with your initial point, you cant expect that every metal fan who listens with unbiased, objective ears is going to like the A7X album, because thats just unrealistic and silly.
01.08.2010 - 12:01
Necrodamus
I thought with the addition of Mike Portnoy on drums this would turn out at least halfway decent, but nope...it's just another mediocre metalcore ablum. I personally don't like this band and I agree with the review, but I can understand their appeal in the mainstream. With that scene look and the way they sound these days, I find it hard to believe they will ever be as "metal" as they are trying to be.
01.08.2010 - 12:05
Rating: 5
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite

Dude, that's the beauty of writing for an independent website - we can say what we REALLY think without being afraid of losing our jobs. Nobody pays us for these reviews, so at least they're honest. Good luck finding honest reviews written by those who write them for a living for, say, Metal Hammer...

This album is utter crap. Look, I didn't get fired!
01.08.2010 - 17:41
RavenKing
Written by Angelic Storm on 01.08.2010 at 11:30

Geez, I cant seem to escape from this subject these days... lol

While I definitely do agree that there are metalheads who dismiss certain metal purely because it is popular, and purposely try to only listen to obscure unknown bands to appear "true to metal", that doesnt mean that everyone who dismisses something popular is doing so to appear "cool". The problem is, how do you tell the difference between a blind elitist who is slamming something popular in order to protect some pathetic "tr00" image, and those who genuinely dont like it? You can usually tell by the type of language used, and by the way they criticise the band/album.

Im about as anti-elitist as you can get, and treat "tr00" elitists opinions with just as much disdain, if not even more so than those of blind fanboys. To me, they are just as bad as each other. I listened to the title track of "Nightmare", and it just didnt do anything for me. Yep, I wouldnt be at all surprised if there are some people who dismiss it just because the band is popular (especially any band popular with "scene kids" is seen as an "arch enemy of tr00 metal" ) and are trying to fit in with the popular opinion on metal sites like this. But you cannot accuse everyone who doesnt like it of having that mindset. People have different tastes, and this seems to be the one thing that both fanboys and tr00 elitists have a hard time getting to grips with. Disagreeing is fine, but pulling someone down just because their opinion on music disagress with yours is quite another. This is usually the easiest way of spotting a tr00 elitist, or a blind fanboy. They cannot merely disagree with your opinion, they also have to rubbish its credibility.

While I do agree with your initial point, you cant expect that every metal fan who listens with unbiased, objective ears is going to like the A7X album, because thats just unrealistic and silly.

Agreed on almost everything. Even if I'm a bit elitist to a certain extent. And while I'm a bit elitist, music is all that matters to me. I don't like 'tr00 kvlt' kiddies because it's pushing elitism too far to the point it becomes a joke and looses all credibility.

Dismissing bands only because they are popular is stupid but on the other hand the underserved praise some bands receive can piss me off at times (lots of people are idiots who will only follow the trends without thinking by themselves). Exactly as liking something only because it's very underground and unknown even if it sounds like pure shit is stupid, while on the other hand dismissing a band only because it's unknown ("if no one cares for it, then it's because it sucks") is stupid.
I woul say there is two sides to a coin and it depends on perception. What is wrong for someone can be acceptable for someone else.

Liking something only because it's popular is foolish.
Hating something only because it's popular is foolish.
Liking something only because it's underground is foolish.
Hating something only because it's underground is foolish.

I can hardly put it in a clearer way.

And writing opinions just to look cool (because it's cool to hate this or praise that) is for the weak-minded who are searching for acceptance and recognition, people who have no integrity and post opinions to please others no matter what they really think. People who base their opinions on what kind of reaction it will receive are no more than sheeps who foolishly follow the herd.

The only point on which I would disagree is, personnally, I have much less trouble tolerating elitists who are going too far, than I can have with fanboys. I hate fanboys and consider them as the greatest plague on metal boards.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
01.08.2010 - 17:51
Angelic Storm
Melodious
@Hidden_Dictator: I can only wholeheartedly agree with everything in the above post. xD

As for your last point, I think why I would put "tr00 elitists" into the same category as fanboys is because I see it as two sides of the same coin. The reason for being a sheep may be different, but they're still being sheep nonetheless. Also, "tr00 eltists" usually slam fanboys of popular bands, not realising how hypocritical they are being. IMO, anybody who's opinions on metal are shaped by other's opinions, and how others view their opinions, do not deserve to have their views respected, or treated with a shred of credibility.
01.08.2010 - 18:44
RavenKing
Written by Angelic Storm on 01.08.2010 at 17:51

@Hidden_Dictator: I can only wholeheartedly agree with everything in the above post. xD

As for your last point, I think why I would put "tr00 elitists" into the same category as fanboys is because I see it as two sides of the same coin. The reason for being a sheep may be different, but they're still being sheep nonetheless. Also, "tr00 eltists" usually slam fanboys of popular bands, not realising how hypocritical they are being. IMO, anybody who's opinions on metal are shaped by other's opinions, and how others view their opinions, do not deserve to have their views respected, or treated with a shred of credibility.

That's why I don't like 'tr00 kvlt kiddies'. Because they're a different kind of sheep who base their opinions on bands more according to exterior elements than the music itself. Or people who value music because of ideologies, politics or the nationalist aspect.
I once saw a guy posting a comment about a Black Metal band being "a bit lacking in the nationalist department". Let's say it was one of the most ridiculous comment I ever read on a metal board.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
01.08.2010 - 22:03
Thanntos
I could be one of those people who look for the more underground bands that a lot of people won't ever hear just because I like to explore the massive variety of music. I use sites like RYM to find some really incredible yet unknown albums. I do like having a larger catalog of music to bring up to people, whom of course has never heard of them, but its fun to get more and more people interested in them. Yet I do not consider myself an elitist. Reason being, I also listen to a lot of mainstream music that some may consider crap like many are doing with this album. Example two of my favorite albums of the past decade are The Angelic Process' 'Weighing Souls with Sand', and Killswitch Engage 'As Daylight Dies'. Two totally different spectrum's of metal. Yet I don't give a fuck if people know I love KSE. People try to cover up stuff like that saying it's a "guilty pleasure". I hate that shit. Nothing guilty about it. I fucking love KSE.
I really did like Waking the Fallen, but I listened to this album and thought it was pretty terrible, and agree with bittercold on the rating.
----
I will kill you so hard you will die to death.
01.08.2010 - 22:18
Rating: 2
silenius
I listen to Keane, vnv nation and Gorillaz. But i find metalcore in general to be utter worthless crap(there are some bright spots here and there) and a7x is probably the worst of the bunch, disgusting music(and yes ive listened to every goddamn album they¨ve released, just so i can trash them as much as i want to)
01.08.2010 - 23:31
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Good reveiw Bc and i agree pure shit. all avenged sevenfold is, (IMO) its just rock with swearing.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
02.08.2010 - 00:15
Sephiros
I agree for the most part with everyone's reply, I just feel that a certain level of respect is deserved for any band even if you don't like them. Ya it's the internet, ya you can say whatever the f* you want but so I can I. So if your fed up with having backlash on your reviews try using some tact. A7X got a lot of flames for their experimenting on their self titled but I've read plenty of reviews that put it in a respectful way "Too much studio polish" "Didn't recapture the flame they had on WTF or COE" etc, not stuff like "The album has more ballads than a "Best of Aerosmith Since '88" box set and even during aggressive songs the band still finds time to pop their testicles back in Warner Music's purse and wuss out."

Rewind 25 years and you have similar haters on thrash bands like Metallica / Slayer / Megadeth "Those darn trash bands! So loud! punk kids! whipper snappers!" now in the present we have you guys saying "That's why I don't like 'tr00 kvlt kiddies'. Because they're a different kind of sheep who base their opinions on bands more according to exterior elements than the music itself."

No offense but it's kinda funny to see history continue to repeat itself. Can't wait to see what people are saying in another 25 years.

#2 band of the decade on Ultimate Guitar (Next to metallica, let me guess...Metallica sucks now too right?!)
Slash has played with them live and even featured M.Shadows on his solo album.
Portnoy was honored to do the album / tour with them for Nightmare.
They've also been widely accepted as one of the most important bands in the NWOAHM.
but of course that all means nothing right? Their choruses are "catchy" and the suits dictate their music (even though you have absolutely no evidence of this)

Tact...get some. I'm done with this conversation though cause it's just going to go in circles lol. Look forward to your future reviews, they certainly are good for a laugh ;-)
02.08.2010 - 00:42
bluemobiusx
Account deleted
Written by Sephiros on 02.08.2010 at 00:15

I agree for the most part with everyone's reply, I just feel that a certain level of respect is deserved for any band even if you don't like them. Ya it's the internet, ya you can say whatever the f* you want but so I can I. So if your fed up with having backlash on your reviews try using some tact. A7X got a lot of flames for their experimenting on their self titled but I've read plenty of reviews that put it in a respectful way "Too much studio polish" "Didn't recapture the flame they had on WTF or COE" etc, not stuff like "The album has more ballads than a "Best of Aerosmith Since '88" box set and even during aggressive songs the band still finds time to pop their testicles back in Warner Music's purse and wuss out."

Rewind 25 years and you have similar haters on thrash bands like Metallica / Slayer / Megadeth "Those darn trash bands! So loud! punk kids! whipper snappers!" now in the present we have you guys saying "That's why I don't like 'tr00 kvlt kiddies'. Because they're a different kind of sheep who base their opinions on bands more according to exterior elements than the music itself."

No offense but it's kinda funny to see history continue to repeat itself. Can't wait to see what people are saying in another 25 years.

#2 band of the decade on Ultimate Guitar (Next to metallica, let me guess...Metallica sucks now too right?!)
Slash has played with them live and even featured M.Shadows on his solo album.
Portnoy was honored to do the album / tour with them for Nightmare.
They've also been widely accepted as one of the most important bands in the NWOAHM.
but of course that all means nothing right? Their choruses are "catchy" and the suits dictate their music (even though you have absolutely no evidence of this)

Tact...get some. I'm done with this conversation though cause it's just going to go in circles lol. Look forward to your future reviews, they certainly are good for a laugh ;-)

So you like mainstream metal and you don't like it when somebody call's it commercial bullcrap. <--- that's all you needed to say.
02.08.2010 - 01:33
Thanntos
Probably saying 'put the bad things you say in a more respectful and professional way' which I actually agree with. Every good writer should be able to do this in one way or another.
----
I will kill you so hard you will die to death.
02.08.2010 - 02:29
JCJen7
Written by Guest on 02.08.2010 at 00:42

So you like mainstream metal and you don't like it when somebody call's it commercial bullcrap. <--- that's all you needed to say.

Wow, someone writes such a great call out to a questionable review, and he gets smashed by such a stupid, ignorant, and off-mark reply. Try reading over it again, you might learn something
----
This is my sig, respect it. Please.

CHECK THESE OUT
02.08.2010 - 03:01
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by Sephiros on 02.08.2010 at 00:15

So if your fed up with having backlash on your reviews try using some tact.

i'm not terribly concerned.
----

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
02.08.2010 - 04:13
DIO Is God
Account deleted
Fucking bullshit review. I hate just about all old A7X, yet I will admit that this was a very good album.
02.08.2010 - 06:20
bluemobiusx
Account deleted
Written by JCJen7 on 02.08.2010 at 02:29

Wow, someone writes such a great call out to a questionable review, and he gets smashed by such a stupid, ignorant, and off-mark reply. Try reading over it again, you might learn something

Uh, how is a review questionable? It's the dudes own opinion of the album. A review is not supposed to be what everyone should think of an album...it gives insight in to one persons point of view on it. You don't have to like the review, but it is what it is. You can have your own opinion on the album too. Just because BitterCOld thinks it sucks, doesn't mean you can't enjoy it. You don't get upset everytime someone doesn't like your favorite type of soda or icecream do you?
02.08.2010 - 06:48
JCJen7
Written by Guest on 02.08.2010 at 06:20

Uh, how is a review questionable? It's the dudes own opinion of the album. A review is not supposed to be what everyone should think of an album...it gives insight in to one persons point of view on it. You don't have to like the review, but it is what it is. You can have your own opinion on the album too. Just because BitterCOld thinks it sucks, doesn't mean you can't enjoy it. You don't get upset everytime someone doesn't like your favorite type of soda or icecream do you?

Ok, I'll reword it. "Wow, someone writes such a great call out to an overly harsh review, and he gets smashed by such a stupid, ignorant, and off-mark reply. Try reading over it again, you might learn something " Better?
----

CHECK THESE OUT
02.08.2010 - 07:41
bluemobiusx
Account deleted
Written by JCJen7 on 02.08.2010 at 06:48

Ok, I'll reword it. "Wow, someone writes such a great call out to an overly harsh review, and he gets smashed by such a stupid, ignorant, and off-mark reply. Try reading over it again, you might learn something " Better?

Uh, whether you think it's overly harsh or not it's still the reviewers opinion. His call out wasn't great. He was whining that the reviewer doesn't see eye-to-eye with him. BitterCOld doesn't like the album, this other guy does. They are both entitled to their opinion of the album, but just because one person doesn't like it, doesn't mean it's the end of the world. Jeeze, get over it. He thinks the album sucks, so what? Is it going to change your life? No. Why does it bother you so much that this guy honestly gave his opinion of the album? Get over it man.
02.08.2010 - 08:40
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Not that i'm nostrodam-MS or anything, but the original long (long, long) draft of this had me stating right up front that no matter whether i thought this album was good, bad, or meh, nerdrage would ensue.

i am amused to things play out in accordance with the prophecy.
----

02.08.2010 - 09:44
trendkill-
Written by Guest on 31.07.2010 at 06:35

You know, the review and your opinions mean fuck-all.

Believe it or not, the album got rave reviews from multiple sources.
Kerrang!, Metal Hammer, Metacritic, Rolling Stone, you name it.

The reason I believe it got reviewed so bad by Gene Shalit up there is because he's a closet fanatic, but doesn't want anyone to know.

I loved it, and I don't even like Metalcore.

You people need to grow up, get off your high horses, clean your shorts, ect., ect. This review is bullshit.

you know lables can pay to get those "high" ratings right?
02.08.2010 - 09:54
trendkill-
Quote:

BTW, these song titles are probably the worst I have seen on ANY album in a LONG time. Terrible.

Agree with you fully, terrible song titles.
02.08.2010 - 17:22
Sasha Batrakov
Account deleted
As a fan of avenged sevenfold, i hate to agree with you. but to be fair, i always labeled these guys as rock, not metal. this new album sucks through and through and it is nowhere near as good as city of evil. shame.
02.08.2010 - 18:50
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
I wanted to listen to this album purely because Portnoy made me "aware" of this band. I saw them live once in a festival here and they show didnt really made me want to listen to their albums.

I just need to listen to the album now and see if I agree with the review or not.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
02.08.2010 - 21:31
Sulac
I personally like Avenged Sevenfold, though I still prefer bands like Blind Guardian, Iced Earth, Amon Amarth, Kamelot, and such. Anyways, they are decent muscians and while they are definitely "mainstream" and "commercial" that's no reason to write massive hate-comments. Everyone's gotta eat, after all.
02.08.2010 - 22:53
Syn Gates
You're all fucking idiots if you agree with this piece of shit review. i'm a huge fan of the old A7X music, but this album is by far their best. the riffs they came up with were amazing, m shadows voice has been his strongest since waking the fallen. of course the drumming is awesome cuz it's mike portnoy. thought i think he could never replace Rev. overall fuck you BitterCold for writing this, you obviously don't like them so you figure you could write a review to rip on them cuz you have no soul to their talent.
02.08.2010 - 23:14
JCJen7
Written by Guest on 02.08.2010 at 07:41

Uh, whether you think it's overly harsh or not it's still the reviewers opinion. His call out wasn't great. He was whining that the reviewer doesn't see eye-to-eye with him. BitterCOld doesn't like the album, this other guy does. They are both entitled to their opinion of the album, but just because one person doesn't like it, doesn't mean it's the end of the world. Jeeze, get over it. He thinks the album sucks, so what? Is it going to change your life? No. Why does it bother you so much that this guy honestly gave his opinion of the album? Get over it man.

I completely support him giving an honest review. And I have no doubt that he did not like this album. However, he skips past parts of the band he likes, and than bashes them for little things. He almost completely ignores that he liked God Hates Us, and instead focused on a clean 15 second outro. Then, he goes on to smash the vocals for a while, and adds one quick 5 word sentence about the guitarist being good. Why does everyone think that people make music to either sell a lot, or to be underground? I really don't think that Avenged Sevenfold's songs are trying to trick metal audiences in to listening, they are making the music they think sounds good, so if you want to bash their music, do it. But don't make assumptions of them trying to trick their way in to "top selling" charts. You know, I used to envy people who loved underground music, their ability to enjoy music so differant from everyone else impressed me. Now, I pity people with musical tastes like BitterCOLD. He believes himself to be such an underground listener, that when he gets an album with a few melodic chunks, he starts throwing around phrases like "this album sucks", "even during aggressive songs the band still finds time to pop their testicles back in Warner Music's purse and wuss out", and most insulting, "Avoid like the plague." Now, once again, if he hated this album, he just say it. But, at least review it fairly. If he's gonna bash the vocals, maybe mention the guitars? How about the drums? Were they any good? I can only imagine he was impressed by them, because that seems to be how he deals with the things he shouldn't like but still does, he works his way around them, and ignores them, and goes on to make assumptions about the record companies telling them where to put clean outros and melodic sections.
----

CHECK THESE OUT

Hits total: 21498 | This month: 38