Metal Storm logo
The Smiths

01.08.2010 - 11:01
Elio
Red Nightmare
Can't believe we didn't have a thread for this awesome band, one of my favourite at the moment! I got The Queen Is Dead first, and I have to admit that I didn't like it immediately. Now I love it though, so I got their other albums and massive compilations, I'm so addicted!

Share your thoughts people, this band is a fucking classic!
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
02.08.2010 - 03:26
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
This Charming Man and How Soon Is Now are the only songs I know from them but those songs are classic...
08.08.2010 - 21:21
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
I actually love The Smiths. I've never ventured beyond their greatest hits album but it gets regular play regardless.
08.08.2010 - 21:30
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
admin
I used to have pretty much all their stateside releases on tape. some of the singles comps "Hatful of Hollow", "World Won't LIsten" were fkn expensive.

"Rank" is still on my short list of cd's to buy.

"Queen Is Dead" is a really good album with some of their best tracks... title track, The Boy With The Thorn In His Side, Cemetery Gates, Bigmouth, Frankly Mister Shankly...

All their stuff was really good, used to listen to them all the time in HS.

You might want to check out Morrissey's solo stuff as well, start with the "Best Of" or whatever. He's got some really good songs as well, even if his new back-up band isn't as skilled as Johnny Marr.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
08.08.2010 - 23:12
Derwood
"Girlfriend in a Coma" is one of my favourite tunes. The Smiths were one of those rare bands that had something about them that just drew me to their music, even though stylistically they weren't very typical of my tastes when I discovered them. I haven't listened to them in a while, so it must be time to dust off The Queen Is Dead and Meat Is Murder.
----
You can't fight evil with a macaroni duck!
09.08.2010 - 21:20
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
admin
Written by Derwood on 08.08.2010 at 23:12

"Girlfriend in a Coma" is one of my favourite tunes.

Mojo Nixon's take at it. Enjoy. And worth sitting through even if you dislike the style just for his diatribe towards the end.

(/end mojonixon hijack)
----

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
10.08.2010 - 05:31
Derwood
Mojo Nixon - haven't heard that name in a few years. I used to have a copy of a song he did with Skid Roper called "Amsterdam Dogshit Blues" that was absolutely hilarious. I won't post a link to it on youtube and further hijack the thread, but it's out there.

And now, back to The Smiths...
----
You can't fight evil with a macaroni duck!
11.08.2010 - 09:45
Elio
Red Nightmare
Written by BitterCOld on 08.08.2010 at 21:30

Have you already listened to it anyway? I didn't find it that good, compared to the other releases, i think one can survive without this.

Yeah, I should definitely check some Morrissey's solo stuff, I remember listening to his last album last year but it was boring crap as far as I remember lol but well, then I still didn't knew well the Smiths so I should give him some tries.
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
11.08.2010 - 10:29
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
admin
Written by Elio on 11.08.2010 at 09:45

Written by BitterCOld on 08.08.2010 at 21:30

Have you already listened to it anyway? I didn't find it that good, compared to the other releases, i think one can survive without this.

Yeah, I should definitely check some Morrissey's solo stuff, I remember listening to his last album last year but it was boring crap as far as I remember lol but well, then I still didn't knew well the Smiths so I should give him some tries.

i liked it particularly for a couple songs on it... i like the slight boost to the energy and emotion. "Ask", "What She Said" granted i haven't listened to it in, jebus, probably close to 20 years, but the live version of "Still Ill" was one of the songs that really resonated with me when i was 17, still awkward - particularly around the ladies, etc.

for Mozzer's solo efforts, the "Best Of Morrissey" (2001, Rhino) is the way to go.

Suedehead

Last of the Famous International Playboys

two of my faves.
----

07.12.2012 - 01:04
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
I think The Smiths write amazing music. They're one of my favorite bands in music period to be honest. I have all of their studio albums, along with their Louder Than Bombs compilation in my CD collection and I always find myself enjoying this kind of music. Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now, How Soon Is Now, Reel Around The Fountain, and You Just Haven't Earned It Yet Baby are among my favorite tracks that these men have released. Awesome stuff all around.
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
11.12.2012 - 02:20
Azarath
Free as a.. Fish
I'm a big fan of The Smiths, though I haven't listened to them for a couple of years... I should do something about that. The Queen Is Dead is probably their best album, but I've always really liked the compilation Hatful of Hollow. They have so many great B-sides that their comps are as essential as their albums.

Case in point:
25.05.2014 - 18:52
Ilham
Giant robot
Just spent the afternoon listening to The Smiths and Morrissey, and came to see if there were any fans. Morrissey just released a new album, Istanbul, which I haven't listened to yet, but will do soon enough. I see you guys share the same love for The Queen Is Dead album like me, and everybody is talking about how good the music is, but nobody mentioned the lyrics. I don't know if it's just me, but they're so naturally, simply written and witty that it makes them stand out from all the other overly complicated, cryptic and symbolic stuff. "How Soon Is Now", just to pick a popular one, is a perfect example:

I am the son and the heir
Of a shyness that is criminally vulgar
I am the son and heir
Of nothing in particular

My ex didn't it when I put them on for too long, said it was depressing. I think the beauty of their work is that you can listen to them in both a good and bad mood. It's not going to cheer me up if I'm sad, but it doesn't bring me down when I'm happy either.
25.05.2014 - 22:07
Azarath
Free as a.. Fish
Written by Ilham on 25.05.2014 at 18:52

...and everybody is talking about how good the music is, but nobody mentioned the lyrics. I don't know if it's just me...

It's not. If anything, I'd say Morrissey's lyrics are always brought up and discussed, to the point that he overshadows the rest of the band. And that's a shame - who else sounds like Johnny Marr? Of course, Morrissey is a great lyricist. I'm going to throw out this line, which I've always felt is extremely Morrissey-y:

For there are brighter sides to life
And I should know, because I've seen them
But not very often

On a more general level, it's odd that they have a reputation for being depressing and miserable. Sure, they can be and the debut wallows quite a bit (which is why Hatful of Hollow is a better representation of the early days of the band, collecting singles, B-sides and BBC sessions), but the other albums do a really good job of balancing melancholy and despair with cheerful, lighthearted pop and humour. So I wouldn't go as far as saying their music can "bring me down", but "I Know It's Over" should always be approached with caution. I really should dig out my Smiths albums and have a thorough listen. Maybe I'll get around to Morrissey's solo stuff this time around.
25.05.2014 - 22:42
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by Azarath on 25.05.2014 at 22:07

It's not.

Yeah I kinda knew I wasn't alone on that, but I was surprised no one here had brought that up yet . It's my way of luring people into talking to me, and it worked! We share the same opinion and you worded it better than I would have, I can only express as much as my vocabulary allows me to.

Written by Azarath on 25.05.2014 at 22:07

I really should dig out my Smiths albums and have a thorough listen. Maybe I'll get around to Morrissey's solo stuff this time around.

Yes you should, and yes you should. I find it a bit odd that you haven't listened to anything Morrissey did solo, since you seem to be a fan of The Smiths. Was it just... because the opportunity didn't present itself?
28.05.2014 - 01:35
Azarath
Free as a.. Fish
Written by Ilham on 25.05.2014 at 22:42

Yeah I kinda knew I wasn't alone on that, but I was surprised no one here had brought that up yet . It's my way of luring people into talking to me, and it worked!

Well, aren't you clever . I should've seen something was up, but I just saw the opportunity to object to some people basically viewing The Smiths as Morrissey's '80s backing band.

Quote:

I find it a bit odd that you haven't listened to anything Morrissey did solo, since you seem to be a fan of The Smiths. Was it just... because the opportunity didn't present itself?

I just never got around to it. A couple of years back I picked up his 3CD singles collection and over the following months I bought a couple of his early albums (they were quite cheap). I just didn't find the time to actually listen to them because there was always something else. So, they're still there on the shelf waiting for me to remember that I have them.
28.05.2014 - 01:48
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by Azarath on 28.05.2014 at 01:35

Well, aren't you clever . I should've seen something was up, but I just saw the opportunity to object to some people basically viewing The Smiths as Morrissey's '80s backing band.

I just never got around to it. A couple of years back I picked up his 3CD singles collection and over the following months I bought a couple of his early albums (they were quite cheap). I just didn't find the time to actually listen to them because there was always something else. So, they're still there on the shelf waiting for me to remember that I have them.

Well, what are you waiting for? For him to die? And listen to his solo albums out of guilt, and then cry and want to die?
When you get to it, you'll see that the music has changed a lot. I don't mind the backing band behind nowadays Morrissey, but there's that touch, that atmosphere, that is lost. Perhaps also because the times have changed. It's the ultimate proof that The Smith were coherent as a band, as a whole.
28.05.2014 - 01:50
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by Guest on 08.08.2010 at 21:21

I actually love The Smiths. I've never ventured beyond their greatest hits album but it gets regular play regardless.

Wait until you listen to a whole album. Start with The Queen Is Dead. You'll thank me.
28.05.2014 - 03:43
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Ilham on 28.05.2014 at 01:50

Wait until you listen to a whole album. Start with The Queen Is Dead. You'll thank me.

Cor blimey guv'nor, that's an old comment o' mine. Nothing's changed though. I still listen to that same greatest hits on a very regular basis. I'll check that that 'The Queen is Brown Bread' album you mentioned.
28.05.2014 - 12:40
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by Guest on 28.05.2014 at 03:43

Cor blimey guv'nor, that's an old comment o' mine. Nothing's changed though. I still listen to that same greatest hits on a very regular basis. I'll check that that 'The Queen is Brown Bread' album you mentioned.

Whoopsy dasies! I didn't see, it was at the top of the page, I clicked and started talking. So the poor Smith are actually still waiting for you to listen to a legit album. That's just as sad as showing up for a kid's birthday party and seeing no one but the parents and a the alcoholic clown vomiting in the kiddie pool.