08. Doubt
09. The Finest Cut Of The Scalpel
10. Absolve Me

Atmospheric / symphonic black metal
United States
Moribund Records

Line-up on the CD:
S. Holliman - vocals, all instruments

I Shalt Become first turned heads more than a decade ago with the release of Wanderings, a prodigious album "called out" for its arrant Burzum worship. After its release, Holliman apparently laid his work to rest, leaving many in the metal community with a familiar bittersweet feeling.

Nearly 15 years pass before I Shalt Become is resurrected; Holliman then begins releasing a new album each year with refreshing consistency. The metal community rejoices...sort of. In truth, most jaded listeners judged Holliman's new works as menial and void of energy, specifically Poison. I, however, welcome this album for its prodigal disposition. Mixing the most prominent elements of melancholic black metal subgenres, classical compositions, and eerie ambience, this album is seemingly above being subject to the laws of personal classification or instrumental morality. What this album evokes is a myriad of emotional complexities most artists only hope to achieve in their finest moments. In short: S. Holliman has released a true modern masterpiece of metal music.

Weaving woefully poetic verses around the haunting melodies of violins, the grim edge of sparse-used distorted guitars, and tranquil-to-militant drumming, I Shalt Become ascertains the listener is bound to writhe in torment as their personal degradation is put into audio form and forced into their ear canal. The cleaner sounding classical instruments make for a perfect contrast to Holliman's murky beastly shrieks.

Like Death in The Seventh Seal, nobody escapes [this unpolished gem].

Poison focuses on instrumental interplay that awakens the carnal despondency we are all bound to instinctively. This is the true doleful nature of Man: the inevitability of self-annihilation. A suicide in every language.

Quote:
Listen! you hear the grating roar
Of pebbles which the waves draw back, and fling,
At their return, up the high strand,
Begin, and cease, and then again begin,
With tremulous cadence slow, and bring
The eternal note of sadness in.

- Matthew Arnold (Dover Beach)

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 10
Originality: 8
Production: 9

Written on 01.08.2010 by I'm total pro; that's what I'm here for.

Comments

Comments: 14   Visited by: 251 users
01.08.2010 - 18:31
Got Mayhem?
Hm, I remember hearing some clips of this album off of youtube and being pretty impressed by it. I think now would be a good time to give a more comprehensive listen. Good review
----
01.08.2010 - 19:40
ß
Problem?
Mhm I've found all of their previous to be fairly mundane. I'm somewhat intrigued by this now, perhaps I should give it a listen to.
----
My music blog - Updated regularly.
To live is to think - Cicero
01.08.2010 - 20:03
Mikyz
I completely agree with this review, good job writing this. A very emotional record composed by a talented musician.
----
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone.
01.08.2010 - 20:49
silenius
Getting it!
02.08.2010 - 03:31
Richard
elite
Blimey, I Shalt Become! This chap sent me his first (?) demo 'In Withering' back in the late 90's or something when I did my reviews site, but I hadn't heard any further stuff. Judging from the myspace site the music is now rather more serious and improved! (Though it doesn't seem to have stuff from this new release).
----
02.08.2010 - 03:35
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Written by Richard on 02.08.2010 at 03:31

Judging from the myspace site the music is now rather more serious and improved!

That's a matter of taste, really. If you liked the demo then this new sound will be a lot to absorb, but in the end I think it's definitely worth it.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
02.08.2010 - 03:40
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Written by silenius on 01.08.2010 at 20:49

Getting it!

I ordered my copy from Moribund's website yesterday. Came to about 15 bucks Canadian including shipping.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
02.08.2010 - 06:11
Rating: 8
Daggon
Underpaid M.D.
Judging by this review, this could be something I could probably enjoy a lot, I'll listen it and then give my opinion, seems interesting
----
"Les vers savent qu'ils n'ont pas d'ailes, c'est pour cela qu'ils se cachent sous terre"
02.08.2010 - 06:57
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Written by Daggon on 02.08.2010 at 06:11

Judging by this review, this could be something I could probably enjoy a lot, I'll listen it and then give my opinion, seems interesting

Interesting indeed. Let me know what you think!
----
02.08.2010 - 14:08
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Interesting album this, I don't love it but it's growing on me. Still get the urge to just chuck on some Elend (simply because it's less twee) but the cinematic symphonic elements overiding the black metal (almost entirely it seems) is a welcome change from other sfuff at the moment.
03.08.2010 - 01:06
Rating: 8
InnerSelf
proofread free
An accurate review capturing the essence of this album .... this is definitely a grower and though I have heard it 5 times or so it just feels like spinning it again and again .
What is really interesting is how most of the songs are structured by the Symphonic parts and the guitars or the drums making this album different from the other gazillion DSBM albums out there
----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.
05.08.2010 - 16:42
advent
I heard them before, but ur review will make me pay more attention to them
05.08.2010 - 16:43
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Written by advent on 05.08.2010 at 16:42

I heard them before, but ur review will make me pay more attention to them

Glad to hear it.
----
08.07.2011 - 06:01
₣rost Giant
Really looking forward to getting this album! Also great review as always.

Hits total: 7936 | This month: 7