Metal Storm logo
Franz Ferdinand

21.08.2006 - 09:07
AnGina--
Dark Phoenix
Franz Ferdinand is a band that totally messed my head!

A very cacthy and arty fusion of post-revival punk, rock, funk and avantgarde makes them currently one of my favourites and I sincerely don't understand how they could not be liked by anyone

Being on the scene for 5 years now with two albums, Franz Ferdinand (2004) and You Could Have It So Much Better.... With Franz Ferdinandm, I can say these four funky guys from Glasgow who named the band after the archduke (yea, you all know him, the stupido from WWI) really made it. Coming on the scene when post-punk revival, garage rock and rock general again had it's higlight with the flood of other bands, Franz Ferdinand came and struck with their contageous sound!

As their music is far more than just plain rock, I do believe art rock is the best way to describe them, especially due to their lyrics being avantgarde, arty and you can even say cryptic in a way. IMO Franz Ferdinand is a band you really can't stuff into the grey average of many other rock bands around here nowadays. That is also shown in their videos, that ara again quite cryptic and retro, which is another fact why FF are so cool - they show their fun side also

Currnelty I'm completely addicted to their music, especially the last year hit Do You Want To Their music just immediately makes me feel better

So, anyone else here a fan?
----
You think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it. Molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was a man. But it was nothing to me but blinding.
21.08.2006 - 22:25
MaidenVarius
Account deleted
Sorry to say but Franz Ferdinand definitely are not art rock,bands like Rush,and King Crimson are art rock.Art Rock is a subgenre of progressive rock,and I hear nothing progressive in their music.
22.08.2006 - 00:30
AnGina--
Dark Phoenix
Nothing to be sorry for, because the term art rock is nowadays much more than it used to be and has spread widely beyond boundaries of prog rock. Art rock is a genre of rock that experiments a lot with melodies and rhytm and involves lyrics that are usually avant-garde and/or postmodern. It is true that bands such King Crimson, Yes and Pink Floyd who also used a lot of classical infulences, such as jazz for example, were first to be labelled as such, but nowadays art rock is a much wider genre that just describes any experimental arty rock genre.
----
You think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it. Molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was a man. But it was nothing to me but blinding.
22.08.2006 - 05:09
tulkas
el parcero
I got a friend who's a real FF fan, and even though I've heard few from them, I like it. It's got that catchy sound that gets to you and that's not easy to get rid of. Still, their music is cool and I can't complain at all. Cool band
----
love is like a jar of shit with a strawberry on top
31.08.2006 - 02:54
MaidenVarius
Account deleted
Written by AnGina-- on 22.08.2006 at 00:30

Nothing to be sorry for, because the term art rock is nowadays much more than it used to be and has spread widely beyond boundaries of prog rock. Art rock is a genre of rock that experiments a lot with melodies and rhytm and involves lyrics that are usually avant-garde and/or postmodern. It is true that bands such King Crimson, Yes and Pink Floyd who also used a lot of classical infulences, such as jazz for example, were first to be labelled as such, but nowadays art rock is a much wider genre that just describes any experimental arty rock genre.

Ahhhh looks like I learned something...I had no idea how the term was being used today,other than labelling those various prog bands,thanks.
11.11.2006 - 13:36
Lorien
Account deleted
I didn't like them at first
But on this year's Exit festival I had the opportunity to see them live... They seem like cool guys.. They learned about 5 sentences on Serbian and keep saying it through the whole concert.. that was kind of funny
11.11.2006 - 17:54
Ernotar
Cookie Mistress
My friend is a fan of Franz Ferdinand and she made me listen to some of their songs. I actually liked them a lot, but not that much that I would've bought an album. I saw Franz Ferdinand live in Ankkarock a last year and their gig was great.
----
You'll never walk alone.
16.11.2006 - 14:06
animal

I hear they're gonna be playing in Sarajevo soon with opening act Gavrilo Princip. The last entity named Franz Ferdinand to visit that city was sure asking for someone to "Take Me Out".
----
"I got 1,000 years of power! Come and get me!" Robert McLain- Royal Oak, MI
16.11.2006 - 15:24
Warman
Erotic Stains
Very overestimated IMO, absolutely nothing for me
----
25.03.2007 - 13:18
Anathemani@c

I agree with Warman. They suck.....
----
Trapped in time