09. She Goes Down
10. Don't Go Away Mad (Just Go Away)
11. Time For Change
12. Dr. Feelgood [demo] [bonus]
13. Without You [demo] [bonus]
14. Kickstart My Heart [demo] [bonus]
15. Get It For Free [bonus]
16. Time For Change [demo] [bonus]

Mötley Crüe is one of the most or perhaps the most notorious band in the history of rock n' roll. When it comes to sex, drugs and rock n' roll Mötley Crüe are way up there in the premier league. They didn't so much write the book on archetypal bad-boy behaviour (or much less even read it!). What they did was chainsawing it in half and torching it with napalm. In their time they nearly did it all: marrying Playboy centrefolds, nearly killing themselves and those around them, and allegedly taking every kind of narcotics known to man. They are the gods of that self-destruct rockstar lifestyle and lived it throughout the 80's and into the 90's. Dr. Feelgood was the high point in the CV of this highly volatile band and was the manifestation and embodiment of all that hedonism and decadence that characterized the 80's.

The album begins with a brief intro "T.n.T.(Terror 'n Tinseltown)". Next up is the title song "Dr. Feelgood" which is about a mysterious drug dealer. I think it is fitting that Mötley Crüe has written a song about drug abuse as their very lives revolved around it! It could easily qualify as the best song of the album had it not been for "Kickstart My Heart" which is inspired by bassist Nikki Sixx's brush with death following his overdose with heroin and being, actually, clinically dead for several minutes before a shot of adrenaline directly into his heart revived him. Songs like "Sticky Sweet", "Slice Of Your Pie" and "She Goes Down" are about as sleazy a song could get without actually using expletives! If you ever thought that Mötley Crüe was all about sex and drugs, I had suggest you listen to "Time For Change" which paints an optimistic view about our pessimistic future.

This album had Bob Rock behind the console board and he more than proved that he is one of the best music producers of all time. There were delicate touches of slide-guitar, bar-room boogie piano and colourful stabs of brass. Neil's brash vocals, in particular, were buffed to create choruses of genuine air-punching quality. As if this wasn't enough, background vocals were provided by artists like Steven Tyler of Aerosmith, Skid Row and even Bryan Adams amongst others.
Commercially this was their most successful album and it is aptly justified. Dr. Feelgood was a timeless classic from an era that was to be soon ground to dust by grunge.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 10
Songwriting: 6
Originality: 8
Production: 10

Written by Hermann Langke | 12.08.2010

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Staff review by
KwonVerge
Rating:
You know, when you already have 4 succesful releases it's difficult to keep it up for the fifth time in a row. Well, Motley Crue managed to keep it up in the most appropriate way, offering to the glam world another masterpiece after the fabulous "Girls Girls Girls", the renowned "Dr. Feelgood".

Read more ››
published 05.01.2006 | Comments (2)

Comments

Comments: 9   Visited by: 57 users
12.08.2010 - 17:17
Rating: 10
Hermann Langke
Brahmastra Corps
Thanks to the staff!
12.08.2010 - 17:28
Rating: 8
vezzy
Stallmanite
I guessed it was your review just by seeing it was of Motley Crue (you know, a common, well-known band).
I felt that some things weren't described that well (or it just felt odd to me), but good review overall.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
12.08.2010 - 17:29
Hermann Langke
Brahmastra Corps
Written by vezzy on 12.08.2010 at 17:28

I guessed it was your review just by seeing it was of Motley Crue (you know, a common, well-known band).
I felt that some things weren't described that well (or it just felt odd to me), but good review overall.

Thanks, friend! I am now working on Voodoocult!
12.08.2010 - 17:32
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Hermann Langke on 12.08.2010 at 17:29

Lol. XD That's funny, I was planning on reviewing Jesus Killing Machine too! I'll just leave it to you. I have a review of Setherial pending, so...
Can't wait to read it.
----
12.08.2010 - 17:37
Hermann Langke
Brahmastra Corps
Written by vezzy on 12.08.2010 at 17:32

Lol. XD That's funny, I was planning on reviewing Jesus Killing Machine too! I'll just leave it to you. I have a review of Setherial pending, so...
Can't wait to read it.

I think a true reviewer's quality is amplified when he/she also reviews relatively unknown albums and thanks for making me realizing it!
12.08.2010 - 17:40
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Hermann Langke on 12.08.2010 at 17:37

Can't wait to read it.

I think a true reviewer's quality is amplified when he/she also reviews relatively unknown albums and thanks for making me realizing it!

It's mostly because it shows you have a broader spectrum on things and it kind of helps introducing people to new bands (like Neuromist).
----
12.08.2010 - 17:44
Hermann Langke
Brahmastra Corps
Written by vezzy on 12.08.2010 at 17:40

Written by Hermann Langke on 12.08.2010 at 17:37

Can't wait to read it.

It's mostly because it shows you have a broader spectrum on things and it kind of helps introducing people to new bands (like Neuromist).

Agreed!
14.08.2010 - 21:12
AngelofDeth
Cyborg Raptor
Motley Crue kicks ass!
----
pewpew.. gotcha
17.08.2010 - 22:52
Rating: 5
bloodface
"Too Fast for Love" and "Shout at the Devil" were great, but after those each album had one or two songs that carried it and the rest was filler.

"Sticky Sweet", "Slice Of Your Pie", "Rattlesnake Shake" and "She Goes Down" are garbage. "Time for Change" and "Without You" are way too sappy even for the power ballad era. "Same Ol' Situation" and "Don't Go Away Mad (Just Go Away)" are OK pop songs. "Dr. Feelgood" and "Kickstart My Heart" are some of their best and exemplify what this band likes to think they are/were.

Hits total: 5783 | This month: 4