01. A World In Hell
02. Ekpyrosis
03. The Mournful Sunset Of The Forsaken
04. The Devouring Eye
05. Subsequent Emissions From A Frozen Galaxy
06. Thoughts Of Life They Wither
07. Celestial Remains Of The Cosmic Creation
08. Enemy Of Creation

Setherial are one of the many Swedish black metal bands out there. Although the scene is generally dominated by bands such as Dissection, Marduk and Dark Funeral, Setherial are still fairly known, if not as emphasized as their peers for their 1996 album Nord. This is their sixth full-length effort, Ekpyrosis.

When you look on the outside, these guys possess the stereotypical black metal attitude. So called "satanic" beliefs (better known as attention seeking), a negative view on commercial success and overall desire to distance themselves from the scene. Fine and dandy, they have proven themselves as more-or-less worthy artists. Time to look on the inside (this is where the music is located). In Ekpyrosis, they've pretty much captured... the conventional Swedish black metal sound. You have the standard cold atmosphere and harmonies, shrieks and howls and blast beat attacks. There is some progressiveness to be found (and it is an improvement over Darkness Triumphant), but it's apparent that they've simply reproduced their more recent sound, although not as inspired, as say, Hell Eternal. The chilling melodies and atmosphere of Dissection and the aggression/chaos of Marduk coupled with a few moments of its own, that don't last too long.

The best you'll get from this is the opener "A World In Hell" (decent track actually), "The Devouring Eye", "Subsequent Emissions From A Frozen Galaxy", "Thoughts Of Life They Wither" and "Enemy Of Creation". Although some of them may drag on a bit too long, they're the most optimal tracks.

If you're a fan of Setherial and have been waiting for the somewhat considerable improvement of Darkness Triumphant or if Swedish black metal is simply your cup of tea, go for it. If you want more originality and versatility, skip this one.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 6
Production: 9

Written by vezzy | 12.08.2010

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 5   Visited by: 42 users
13.08.2010 - 16:58
Daniell
_爱情_
I can't see how the scene can be dominated by a band that doesn't exist, namely Dissection...
Nitpicking aside, Sweden is surprisingly weak when it comes to black metal. Marduk and Dark Funeral are bad bands, Dissection's last record with some black was released in 1995. Off the top of my head, I remember only a handful of good bands from Sweden: Ondskapt, Watain, and possibly Funeral Mist.
Fair review by the way.
13.08.2010 - 17:01
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Daniell on 13.08.2010 at 16:58

I can't see how the scene can be dominated by a band that doesn't exist, namely Dissection...
Nitpicking aside, Sweden is surprisingly weak when it comes to black metal. Marduk and Dark Funeral are bad bands, Dissection's last record with some black was released in 1995. Off the top of my head, I remember only a handful of good bands from Sweden: Ondskapt, Watain, and possibly Funeral Mist.
Fair review by the way.

Dammit, I screwed up again. Well, yes, they're disbanded, but their music (particularly SoTLB) gets a lot of attention, so they're like "that ghost band over there", so to say.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
13.08.2010 - 18:25
Daniell
_爱情_
And rightfully so, because 'Storm of the Light's Bane' and 'The Somberlain' are brilliant
13.08.2010 - 18:28
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Daniell on 13.08.2010 at 18:25

And rightfully so, because 'Storm of the Light's Bane' and 'The Somberlain' are brilliant

I'll be honest with you and say that I never understood the big deal about those albums, though I cannot deny they're good.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
14.08.2010 - 21:48
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Daniell on 13.08.2010 at 16:58

Nitpicking aside, Sweden is surprisingly weak when it comes to black metal.

Strongly disagree. Lord Belial, Thyrfing, Diabolical Masquerade, Arckanum, Sacramentum, Naglfar.
Not to mention the ever-growing Swedish depressive black metal scene - bands like Shining, Lifelover, Hypothermia, Nae'blis...
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."

Hits total: 4484 | This month: 14