Metal Storm logo
What is the album that introduced you to metal?

Original post

Posted by Vikcen, 13.08.2010 - 18:10
In my case there was one, "Fear Of The Dark". A friend came to my home with the vinyl... and here it all began (I was 15 years old at that time).
10.10.2011 - 20:23
Gothroman
Account deleted
When I was 9 or 10 I start to listening( beside my older brother) to Maiden (Powerslave,Piece of Mind,Seventh Son and Somewhere In Time),somme stuff of Metallica,Deep Purple,Nirvana...
25.11.2011 - 01:01
Pierre Tombale
Elite
Metallica's ...And Justice album
Bought it in 1994 after seeing a vid of One for the first time.
25.11.2011 - 01:04
A.Ghosheh
Louder Than Hell - Manowar
----
Kem Khefa Kheshef
04.12.2011 - 18:55
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Does Fallen from Evanescence count?
04.12.2011 - 20:38
If memory serves me right Korn's first album was the first one I listened to in secondary school with a quick progression onto Metallica Master of Puppets and Marilyn Manson Antichrist Superstar...
----
Heavy Metal Bullet
Blog for New Metal Bands and Album/Gig Reviews
http://heavymetalbullet.blogspot.com/
04.12.2011 - 21:59
Qube
Oh boy...

Linkin Park's Hybrid Theory

And I still love it.

Don't judge me.
04.12.2011 - 22:19
Metal_4Ever
Master, Master, Master Of Puppets..
20.12.2011 - 23:58
gav1230
Well I got into nu-metal with the sickness by Disturbed (don''t worry I don't listen to them anymore) , but I got into REAL METAL with Black Sabbath's paranoid.
21.12.2011 - 16:58
Genghis Kal
Account deleted
I remember it well. I was on holiday in France with my parents when I was about 13 and we went to a music shop in Cean. I was into punk at the time and picked up an Offspring CD. When I went upstairs I saw all these Iron Maiden albums and thought the covers looked cool: I chose Live After Death because I thought it had the coolest cover. I can still hum along to every solo...
28.03.2012 - 18:48
Codera the Great
Account deleted
I remember my older brother (who hates metal) liked Enter Sandman when he first played the original Rock Band game and he showed me that song, which helped spark my initial interest in the genre (even though I have basically moved on from that song a while back now). I told my friend about how cool that song was when I first listened to it, and he suggested I listen to the Master of Puppets album, and all of a sudden, I fell in love. I have been collecting over 100 CDs (and counting) ever since.
28.03.2012 - 20:36
Nosurper
Stinky Lips
Written by Qube on 04.12.2011 at 21:59

Oh boy...

Linkin Park's Hybrid Theory

And I still love it.

Don't judge me.

Same

Except for the part about loving it, wtf man
----
29.03.2012 - 06:26
Nosurper
Stinky Lips
Joshing
----
29.03.2012 - 14:34
Branzig
I guess my first taste would be Judas Priest's "British Steel." Or maybe an old Iron Maiden "best of comp."
----
In Grind We Crust
16.05.2012 - 02:39
The Mantle by Agalloch, for me
16.05.2012 - 05:27
omjaimes
omjaimes
I heard some albums before (HIM, Within Temptation, Entwine), but I discover what metal is with Lacrimas Profundere - Memorandum, haha well... the first album that I heard was HIM - Razorblade Romance, I confess
16.05.2012 - 07:42
Stoned Crow
Account deleted
First introduced by W.A.S.P.
My first album was ...And Justice For All
16.05.2012 - 07:47
Guib
Thrash Talker
Uh....... well I'll name few since I can't really tell which one in particular

- Killers (Iron Maiden)
- The Number Of The Beast (Iron Maiden)
- Black Sabbath (Black Sabbath)
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
16.05.2012 - 16:15
The_Warcult
Literally Inhuman Rampage by Dragonforce. I got the album after hearing Through The Fire And Flames on Guitar Hero III. Don't judge me.
17.05.2012 - 13:28
Mr. Blonde
Now for something totally original! Master of Puppets...
Okay well that is probably the least original answer from what I've seen as I've scanned through this thread. But it does say something that so many of us got into metal as whole through that album or Justice. The other telling thing is that most of us became interested in "our own" music around the same age of around 14 or so.

I'm 31 now, I had always been rock music oriented in one way or another. I grew up with everything from Pink Floyd, Deep Purple and Led Zeppelin along with some jazz fusion stuff. And yet the first music I chose was... punk. I got into it in like middle school. It was just so different from what I was accustomed to. But what drew me to the genre was the lyrics. Even at a young age I was less angsty than most kids, but very disenfranchised with how American society worked politically though. My bridge from punk to metal was most definitely Rage Against the Machine (a band who I still love today). During my very brief punk phase I sort of always figured I would move on, I mean punk music itself was just so lackluster and many of the icons of punk are classless and/or devoid of musicianship. So back to the riveting tale. RATM's self titled debut awakened me to good music from my own generation. And from there I got into Tool and Smashing Pumpkins and alt rock stuff.

Metallica was a band that I had only heard the 4 hits off the Black Album on the radio. Also, Fade to Black, but oddly I hadn't seen the vid for One yet. So I didn't know the full scope of Metallica but had planned on picking up the Black Album. A couple friends suggested I don't get that one until after I listened to the 4 prior albums. Starting with Puppets I guess out of concern from them that Kill Em All might not appeal as much to a new fan. So I took their advice. Then applied the same philosophy for Megadeth and Slayer beginning with Reign and Rust respectively.
17.05.2012 - 19:30
Truant
I guess it started with Staind's Dysfunction and then the whole nu metal thing. First METAL was probably Remission, Mastodon.
17.05.2012 - 20:07
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by tuthitamlut on 07.10.2011 at 00:51

Black Sabbath - Paranoid

Bingo.
17.05.2012 - 20:24
mojo
First week of term, second year at school, I was 12 - this kid called Scott who I sat with in registration class gave me a tape with AC/DC "Let there be Rock" on one side, and (newly released that week or maybe the week before) Iron Maiden "Powerslave" on the other.

That night when I got home, my life began.
----
Yeah. No. Wait, what was the question?
26.06.2012 - 11:14
J:oKeR
Album didn't got me in metal...i first listened to the Fear Of The Dark song and then some CoB and Rammstein songs and i think thats what got me in metal....but the first album is i think Fear Of The Dark....:D
----
Aaaaaaaaaa
28.06.2012 - 10:21
Aristarchos
Louder Than Hell with Manowar
29.06.2012 - 11:22
bran
black sabbath heaven and hell was my first metal album, my dad bought it for his birthday and since then its been an addiction lol
----
top 5 albums of 2012 so far.

1. wintersun- time I
2. woods of ypres- woods V grey skies and electric light
3. agalloch- faustian echoes EP
4. the slow death- II
5. kreator- phantom antichrist
02.07.2012 - 21:52
Windir
Live after death
Master of puppets
Ride the lightning
...in that order, the same day, anno domini 1995.
03.07.2012 - 02:23
Josh Gottret
In 2003 I started hearing Helloween, a couple of classic songs like "I want out" or "Dr. Stein" but the album that catch me was (that was the first album of my collection)
"Rabbit Don't Come Easy" I heard that album a lot of times...and to better my luck, a couple of months after, HELLOWEEN had a show in BOLIVIA...I can't realize 'till they are in front of me...playing songs like "POWER" or "If I Could Fly".
Was a really great experience...know a band...heard it...and then...see them play on a great show!!!
03.07.2012 - 05:47
Numbskull
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 07.10.2010 at 01:19

Okay everyone can start laughing now... For me it was Kiss' sell out album Dynasty all the way back in 1979

I had this on 8 track

For me it was 1977: Black Sabbath - We Sold Our Soul for Rock 'n' Roll ... yeah, I know a compilation ... of total badass heavy metal.
03.07.2012 - 07:03
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Numbskull on 03.07.2012 at 05:47

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 07.10.2010 at 01:19

Okay everyone can start laughing now... For me it was Kiss' sell out album Dynasty all the way back in 1979

I had this on 8 track

Nothing wrong with that.

Btw, played Dynasty last weekend and tbh it isn''t as bad as I thought it would be
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

03.07.2012 - 07:13
Mattybu
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 03.07.2012 at 07:03

Nothing wrong with that.

Btw, played Dynasty last weekend and tbh it isn''t as bad as I thought it would be

It's not too bad, certainly nothing to be ashamed of haha