Metal Storm logo
What is the album that introduced you to metal?

Original post

Posted by Vikcen, 13.08.2010 - 18:10
In my case there was one, "Fear Of The Dark". A friend came to my home with the vinyl... and here it all began (I was 15 years old at that time).
03.07.2012 - 07:17
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Mattybu on 03.07.2012 at 07:13

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 03.07.2012 at 07:03

Nothing wrong with that.

Btw, played Dynasty last weekend and tbh it isn''t as bad as I thought it would be

It's not too bad, certainly nothing to be ashamed of haha

well it was their ''sell out" album where they cashed in wit on the disco trent of the late eighties
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

03.07.2012 - 07:19
Mattybu

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 03.07.2012 at 07:17

well it was their ''sell out" album where they cashed in wit on the disco trent of the late eighties

Yeah, but it's KISS and there's worse stuff out there I find it hard to not get at least some enjoyment from any KISS release hehe.

Of course you are probably wishing you were as badass as me and had KILL 'EM ALL as your introduction to metal
03.07.2012 - 07:30
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Mattybu on 03.07.2012 at 07:19

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 03.07.2012 at 07:17

Yeah, but it's KISS and there's worse stuff out there I find it hard to not get at least some enjoyment from any KISS release hehe.

Of course you are probably wishing you were as badass as me and had KILL 'EM ALL as your introduction to metal

Oh there certainly are a lot worse Kiss albums out there than Dynasty, especially the ones without them wearing make up.

As for Metllica at least I was there to notice first hand the immense impact their No Life Till Leather demo and a little later their Kill '' em All debut had (unlike you) and also saw Metallica live with Cliff and seeing them play at clubs which could hold 1,000 poeple max
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

03.07.2012 - 07:41
Mattybu

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 03.07.2012 at 07:30

As for Metllica at least I was there to notice first hand the immense impact their No Life Till Leather demo and a little later their Kill '' em All debut had (unlike you) and also saw Metallica live with Cliff and seeing them play at clubs which could hold 1,000 poeple max

I was just teasing you, I figured that you would have had some awesome experiences seeing them emerge back in the day, as well as the whole thrash metal movement in general. It's awesome that you saw Cliff while he was still alive too... Damn, I wish I was born earlier

Still for a first metal album, Kill 'Em All was very influential to me, and I still find myself thrashing out to those tunes, the classics like The Four Horsemen and No Remorse. I read Dave Mustaine's book too and it's actually very interesting the impact he had on Metallica's early career
03.07.2012 - 07:48
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Mattybu on 03.07.2012 at 07:41

I read Dave Mustaine's book too and it's actually very interesting the impact he had on Metallica's early career

He didn't have as much impact on their early career as he makes it out to be in that autobiography. He immensely overstates his influence. Metallica were already up and running and quite well known in the underground (die to their track on Metal Massacre 1) before he joined.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

03.07.2012 - 07:59
Mattybu

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 03.07.2012 at 07:48

Written by Mattybu on 03.07.2012 at 07:41

I read Dave Mustaine's book too and it's actually very interesting the impact he had on Metallica's early career

He didn't have as much impact on their early career as he makes it out to be in that autobiography. He immensely overstates his influence. Metallica were already up and running and quite well known in the underground (die to their track on Metal Massacre 1) before he joined.

I don't find it hard to believe that he overstates his influence in the book, as he made it out to be, a lot of career has been a competition with Metallica, and including parts in the book making it sound like he was extremely important to their early career was probably just another way of trying to get some leverage in the seemingly never ending battle. So there's bias for sure.

But on the other hand, one of the things he mentioned was his stage presence in those early days, and to an extent I have to believe what he is saying. Back then Mustaine was just a ball of energy and I can really see the flashy and energetic guitar style translating into a fiery stage presence, especially in his youth which was definitely full of it's fair share of debauchery and craziness. So, looking at things from both points of view, he probably made himself out to be a bit more important to Metallica than he actually was, but I don't doubt that back in the day his personality made for a dynamic stage presence and some exciting Metallica shows
03.07.2012 - 15:43
axelx666

Death is just the beginning II introduced me to death metal at the age of 12 i recall.
to be honest i was scared to "death" when i first heard it. (ah anybody get that?)

(lol amazon has it listed under "ALTERNATIVE ROCK" )
and when i searched for it, it said "are you searching for "RAP MUSIC? OR COUNTRY?" -flips off the computer-

sorry i can't find a back cover but here's the set list:

song: band: (slash indicates band OBVIOUSLY.)
1. Daddy Cruel /Pungent Stench
2. Ceremonial Void /Monstrosity
3. Cut Through The Filth/ Master
4. Putrefying Remains/ Sinister
5. Dark Is The Season /Benediction
6. Cryptorium/ Brutality
7. Tidings From The Blue Sphere /Afflicted
8. Immortal Cessation /Incantation
9. Just A Thought /Disharmonic Orchestra
10. Exumer /MacAbre
11. Rage Within /Resurrection
12. Torn Apart /Dismember
13. Scrolls Of The Megilloth /Mortification
14. Side Effects/ Defecation
15. Stomach Tuner/ Fetish 69
16. Life Of Filth /Hypocrisy
17. The Glorious Dead/ Gorefest
18. The Thirteen Frightenend Souls/ Deceased
19. Open Wound/ Righteous Pigs
20. Exile Of The Sons Of Uisliu/ Amorphis
21. Oppression Freedom/ winter

(it's german death metal, my father got it from when he went to germany more then likely the only band i recognzie is deceased, they have different volumes of death.. . .is just the beginning I,II,III,IV,V and that's all. great album btw, to be honest it sounds pretty brutal have a listen. (i could only find 1 track sadly. it's old released: 1993-01-06)

----
"they can't stop us,let them try,for heavy metal we will die"
"on olemassa asioita karmivimmat yönä olen yksi heistä."
" we are the new bucolic,we are the pulse of the maggots"
"END"
09.11.2012 - 19:16
juniorlovesmetal

Mägo de Oz - Finisterra. A classic album. I still listen to this.
09.11.2012 - 20:55
Fritillaria
Account deleted
Master of Puppets
09.11.2012 - 21:17
Lit.
Account deleted
Written by masterguitar550 on 04.12.2010 at 20:58

But the main reason I got into metal was the videogame Brutal Legend.

This. I posted earlier a couple of albums that got me into metal, but this game is what got me progressively listening to the genre instead of just being a another genre of music to pick a couple of bands out of.
It's also the main reason I'm on MS now. So every admin I piss off has this to thank for it.
14.11.2012 - 20:28
PrinceLink

Vol3 by Slipknot. If they don't count, then Master of Puppets by Metallica or Reign in Death by SLAYER.
14.11.2012 - 21:16
Malphas

Written by PrinceLink on 14.11.2012 at 20:28

Reign in Death by SLAYER.

seriously?
----
Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
15.11.2012 - 00:05
Vikcen
Metálico
Written by Malphas on 14.11.2012 at 21:16

seriously?

Hahaha. Well, he meant Reign In Blood
15.11.2012 - 15:08
keika_d

Eminem - The Way I Am (remix)

I'm not even kidding, I didn't care much about music back then and my sister was in her hip-hop phase, and there was this remix by D. Lohner featuring Marilyn Manson. That kinda started it all for me, I bought Antichrist Superstar shortly after and never looked back. Even if I don't especially like Manson anymore, I can't help but to have a soft spot for the Antichrist-Animals-Holywood trilogy.
----
Let us not be afraid of 10.
15.11.2012 - 18:19
PrinceLink

Written by Vikcen on 15.11.2012 at 00:05

Written by Malphas on 14.11.2012 at 21:16

seriously?

Hahaha. Well, he meant Reign In Blood

Yeah, that's the one. Shame on me.
16.11.2012 - 02:09
helofloki

I had like a drawn out introduction, starting with Korn, Metallica's "...And Justice for All" and System of a Down (when I was in middle school), then freshman year of high school I discarded it all for prog when I heard Pain of Salvation's recently released 'The Perfect Element: Part I'. Senior year I finally understood extreme metal thanks to Opeth's 'Blackwater Park' and Immortal's 'Sons of Northern Darkness' (I know Opeth isn't really extreme, but it helped me ease into harsher vocals). So I loved metal for a long time, but each of these discoveries felt like entirely new genres.
17.11.2012 - 09:08
Misfit74

I stole a tape from a local music seller in my area with a red hammer and blood on it. It was awesome. I played it for all my friends. I had no idea who the band was before this random occurrence - I just knew I wanted some new music and didn't want to pay for it. The tape case cover looked really cool. The album was Kill 'Em All. It had just been released.

Prior to that the heaviest music I had heard were albums such as Screaming For Vengeance and Blizzard Of Ozz.

Upon hearing Phantom Lord for the first time I pretty much sought out heavier and heavier forms of music - METAL music - and continue to do so.
18.11.2012 - 15:55
LordHypnos
Account deleted
Angra - Holy Land
20.11.2012 - 20:33
BloodTears
ANA-thema
I might've answered here before, but it was Metallica's And Justice For All, that is why it is so special for me, among other personal reasons. I think it was the first album that made me think about things in a very different perspective than I had up until that point.

I ended up listening to very different things and now my tastes are far removed from what I listened to at that time. I started with the heavier stuff, thrash, death, doom and then moved to melodic metal which is currently my favourite kind to listen to. But now I find myself going back to more extreme metal too. It's funny how that goes.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
21.11.2012 - 03:20
Azarath
Free as a.. Fish
The first metal album I ever bought was (the very original choice of) Metallica's The Black Album. System of a Down's Toxicity was probably the second one, and around the same time. I didn't buy anything else by these bands until a couple of years later, but those albums were the introduction.

Iron Maiden's Seventh Son of a Seventh Son was the one that made me a fan, and it remains one of my favourite albums of all time. Actually, it's almost ridiculous how much that album (and the Maiden albums I went out and purchased in the following weeks) has influenced what I've listened to since - pretty much everything can be traced back to that.
21.11.2012 - 04:20
JoshuaWrogg

Eluveities: Everything remains as it never was.....still listen to it after 6 years
21.11.2012 - 04:39
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by axelx666 on 03.07.2012 at 15:43

to be honest i was scared to "death" when i first heard it. (ah anybody get that?)

Yeah man, the first time I've heard Death Metal sound and vocals (screams or growls), I was probably 13... I was kinda scared at first
but I guess thats what picked my curiosity and eventually it just became a natural sound to my ears. But I totally
get what you mean and I'm pretty sure we're not the only ones. Its not really an accessible sound, its an acquired taste.
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
21.11.2012 - 05:47
Crucifux
Account deleted
It was actually the "Death Metal Essentials" thing on iTunes. But I think my first full album was either Opeth - Orchid or Anata - The Conductor's Departure.
21.11.2012 - 05:49
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by Guest on 21.11.2012 at 05:47

or Anata - The Conductor's Departure.

Damn good album this one. I especially like Better Grieved Than Fooled.
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
23.11.2012 - 22:22
Vikcen
Metálico
Written by BloodTears on 20.11.2012 at 20:33

I might've answered here before, but it was Metallica's And Justice For All, that is why it is so special for me, among other personal reasons. I think it was the first album that made me think about things in a very different perspective than I had up until that point.

I ended up listening to very different things and now my tastes are far removed from what I listened to at that time. I started with the heavier stuff, thrash, death, doom and then moved to melodic metal which is currently my favourite kind to listen to. But now I find myself going back to more extreme metal too. It's funny how that goes.

...And Justice For All is my favorite metal album
24.11.2012 - 10:17
stocktonrocks

The record that did it for me was Destroyer by KISS. First time I heard Shout It Out Loud I was hooked!!!
27.11.2012 - 12:01
Chriwalker
Account deleted
Edward the Great by Iron Maiden. there was no way back
27.11.2012 - 12:31
ritungn7

We offer cosmetic Acupuncture in Toronto, deep tissue massage, Chinese cupping, foot reflexology and Foot Massage Toronto, hot stone massage, and other types of bodywork
27.11.2012 - 18:19
Lit.
Account deleted
Written by ritungn7 on 27.11.2012 at 12:31

Acupuncture in Toronto

That'd be a sweet band name, actually.
01.01.2013 - 15:36
Moonloop

Some Metallica album, probably. Maybe Maiden..