03. Mother Of Mercy
04. Coming Home
05. The Alchemist
06. Isle Of Avalon
07. Starblind
08. The Talisman
09. The Man Who Would Be King
10. When The Wild Wind Blows

Iron Maiden have had ups and downs, but they consistently stuck to their unique style. 2006's A Matter of Life and Death saw a serious departure from that style towards a darker, more progressive sound - it was only a partial success. Unfortunately, Steve Harris and Co. felt encouraged, and decided to go further in their departures. The first 4 songs on The Final Frontier rank among the worst this band has ever committed and most of the time sound nothing like the Iron Maiden everyone knows. Departure from style my ass. If they wanted to depart again, the previous album was the way to do it.

'Sounds like shit' - this was my first thought when I heard the longish introduction to the album. "Satellite 15..." is so unlike anything that Iron Maiden have ever recorded. A crude, repeating drum pattern, distorted, spacy sounds, drunken guitars that go nowhere. Even the vocals, when they enter, sound strange. Not only does that intro suck, but it also sounds really weird. Fortunately, the song changes radically after 4 minutes into a remote semblance of a good song.

'What the hell have they done to Iron Maiden?' - that was my second thought. The opening tracks are decent enough for thousands of obscure bands who would be proud to have recorded them, but for Iron Maiden standards, they are sodding poor, and I mean really poor. "The Apparition" poor. "The Final Frontier" isn't utterly abysmal - resurrecting the spirit of the 70's metal, with a catchy chorus, it is remotely palatable. But to balance it, "Coming Home" is an Iron Maiden fan nightmare, sounding like it was recorded during the Fear of the Dark session, which, in my opinion, is the worst Iron Maiden album, with only 2 good songs.

The next six tracks brought back some of my faith in Iron Maiden. Long songs, catchy choruses, melodic solos, everything is seemingly in place. Seemingly - Maiden fans can at last feel at home, and utter a sigh of relief, because there will be no more experiments until the end of the album, at least not as blatantly obvious ones as the intro. But what follows isn't top-notch Maiden, it's mid-range most of the time. Solos aren't too memorable, vocal lines aren't too melodic, riffs don't stick in my head.

Only the last song, "When the Wild Wind Blows," can be honestly called excellent. The riffs supported by simple, but powerful drumming somewhere in the 7th minute of the song - in that solitary moment Maiden sounds really classy. The song isn't quite as good as Maiden's best classic tracks, but it's on a par with the good songs from the later period. Maybe the leading vocal theme sounds too joyful and optimistic, in spite of telling a grim tale, but the song is deliciously complex and rich, a real treat to end this album.

Having died during the first 4 abysmal songs, I was partially resurrected by some good ones that followed, of which, sadly, only one is brilliant. The Final Frontier clocks in at over 76 minutes, and most of these minutes are well spent, assuming you have a pair of paddles handy to shock you back to life after the cardiac arrest that you will undergo at the onset of this album. Better yet, start listening from "The Alchemist." You should be at least partially satisfied.
How do I rank this? I could try to turn a blind eye on the beginning of The Final Frontier. But 4 terrible songs out of 10 is quite a lot. Sorry guys, not this time around. I can't ignore 40% of the album. 1 point up for the last track.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 7
Originality: 7
Production: 6

Written on 16.08.2010 by Writes overly honest and totally subjective reviews when fancy strikes him. Which is not often. Which is probably good, all things considered.

Guest review by
Death To Posers
Rating:
It seems like it's become trendy to dislike any music that becomes even somewhat mainstream. I am by no means bitter; I'm guilty of this prejudice quite often. So, when I saw the album votes go the way they did for The Final Frontier I wasn't shocked. But, in all honesty, I thought this album was pretty hard! This is one of Maiden's most successful albums to date and for a damn good reason. While it does sound different from anything they've done before, that doesn't make it worse. Do you really want three albums that sound exactly like Brave New World?

Read more ››
published 18.01.2011 | Comments (46)

Guest review by
omne metallum
Rating:
An album that skirts the title of worst album in Iron Maiden discography by fortune of existing in a world where Dance of Death exists, The Final Frontier is a well-intentioned album that seems stuck on autopilot for the most of its running time, bravely going where the band had not gone before... mediocrity. If you want a quick and concise description of this album, think "The Angel And The Gambler" in seven new guises!

Read more ››
published 15.04.2020 | Comments (2)

Comments

Comments: 253   [ 2 ignored ]   Visited by: 1045 users
16.08.2010 - 21:58
Rating: 8
MeloDeathViking
I feel like this is how everyone feels, the second half of the album is just so much better, no questions about it.
----
"I am not superstitious, but I'm a little 'stitious." - Michael Scott
16.08.2010 - 22:01
Rating: 6
JÄY
Metal slave
Yeah exactly how i felt too....i rated a 7
16.08.2010 - 22:40
Csabi
Musician
I have to disagree with you.
16.08.2010 - 22:52
Rating: 7
Angelic Storm
Melodious
I kind've agree with the review, except that I enjoyed 2 songs in the first half of the album, ("El Dorado" and "Mother Of Mercy") plus the opening harmony riff in "The Alchemist". And I think that "When The Wild Wind Blows" is the weakest in the 2nd half of the album aisde from "Starblind". Though I do share the general consensus that the 2nd half of the album is much stronger than the 1st half.

Nice review. xD
16.08.2010 - 23:12
Stalker
Lone wanderer
Oh my Havent heard it but this sounds terrible. And unfortunately, expected...
----
17.08.2010 - 00:00
Risto
Wandering Midget
I mostly agree with the review, bar liking "Starblind" on the latter half instead of "When the Wild Wind Blows". The finisher is just generic hard rock most of the time, but kudos to Harris for writing it so that 11 minutes is almost justified. "El Dorado" isn't that bad either...
17.08.2010 - 00:09
sbgmetal
I need to listen to it more but so far its kinda boarring and reminds me of their last cd... i really miss being able to hear steve harris galloping bass but it seems like he doesnt really try anymore...
17.08.2010 - 00:22
CreeperDeath
I would say the weakest songs are the first 2... Satellite 15 and El Dorado... Then after it's getting a bit better with a more "Maiden" sound we know, then goes progressive a bit more with the 2nd half of the album, wich is a good part imo. 7.7 because of the first 2 songs and because the 2 following are kinda normal but still enjoyable !
17.08.2010 - 00:40
Rating: 8
Pretty fair review i guess, i still enjoy the album quite a lot though. I noticed Bruce's voice sounds weak on certain songs and very good on others which i find odd. My favourite song is When The Wild Wind Blows by far.
17.08.2010 - 00:44
Rating: 2
RavenKing
Congratulations to the reviewer for daring to criticize the so tremendously overrated Maiden. I guess the cocksucking Maiden fanboys won't be happy to read criticism at their outdated has-been band, but the opinions of fanboys don't hold any value. If it pains them so much to hear the criticism I suggest as a cure for their suffering to find a high bridge and jump down.

About "sounding like shit", I agree. Production is awful. Drums, guitars, vocals, everything sounds weak, worn out and crappy.

"What the hell have they done to Iron Maiden?". It sounds nothing like Maiden in the 80s, indeed. And it feels more like hard rock than metal most of the time.

Songwriting is really poor, yes. It just plods and drags for minutes. Utterly boring and directionless. So overstretched the album could last 1/3 or maybe 1/4 of its actual length and it would benefit from it. Yeah, nothing memorable.

A snoozefest of an album full of worn out sounding songs by a worn out band that should have called a quit long ago.

Now, to all the cocksucking Maiden fanboys: feel free to come on this thread and release your petty anger like you did on the other thread. It will only prove how easy it is to piss off every imbecile.
I just wished to give my two cents more specifically on the album but won't reply to blind fanboys on this thread, exactly like I stopped replying on the other thread, so you will perhaps understand that I was serious when I said Maiden fanboys worth less than shit to me.
Anyway, feeding trolls only make them more fat, ugly, stinking and stupid.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
17.08.2010 - 01:10
Rating: 5
whitepawel
It's still a good heavy metal album, but as an Iron Maiden album, it's their worst with Dickinson. Shit, I even liked Virtual XI more. I hope their next one (if that one isn't really "final") wouldn't be more shitty.
17.08.2010 - 04:13
Rating: 10
Papa_Ray
Hilarious review.

And Hidden_Dictator, I don't know what your problem is, but you are acting like a 5 year old.

Best Reunion Maiden Album
17.08.2010 - 04:53
LordMaiden
Written by RavenKing on 17.08.2010 at 00:44

Congratulations to the reviewer for daring to criticize the so tremendously overrated Maiden. I guess the cocksucking Maiden fanboys won't be happy to read criticism at their outdated has-been band, but the opinions of fanboys don't hold any value. If it pains them so much to hear the criticism I suggest as a cure for their suffering to find a high bridge and jump down.

Actually, most fans of Maiden appreciate honest reviews. You haven't given one. Instead, you come in with unoriginal ways to have us die. Jumping of a bridge? What? Why are you dusting off insults from 1956?

About "sounding like shit", I agree. Production is awful. Drums, guitars, vocals, everything sounds weak, worn out and crappy.

Says the black metal guy.

Songwriting is really poor, yes. It just plods and drags for minutes. Utterly boring and directionless. So overstretched the album could last 1/3 or maybe 1/4 of its actual length and it would benefit from it. Yeah, nothing memorable.

I think you're over-shitting on the album. I think you do this because you seem like a character who loathes everything anyway.

Now, to all the cocksucking Maiden fanboys: feel free to come on this thread and release your petty anger like you did on the other thread. It will only prove how easy it is to piss off every imbecile.
I just wished to give my two cents more specifically on the album but won't reply to blind fanboys on this thread, exactly like I stopped replying on the other thread, so you will perhaps understand that I was serious when I said Maiden fanboys worth less than shit to me.

You have been doing this run of I-don't-care-even-though-I-keep-coming-back for days now. Nobody came in with petty anger, we only challenged you to tell us why you didn't like it. And speaking of petty anger, if we were to take both of our posts and place them side by side, I'm 100% certain your hate speech would topple anything I ever said.

So I need to catch up.

Hey, you cocksucking cuntface, while your mother was licking my balls, I ejaculated in her eye and thought about you lighting yourself on fire while running hopelessly into a highway to play real-life Frogger, and having your head flattened by a fucking truck. To see your worthless brain matter painting the road orchestrates the perfect dream. Just another piece of shit that's giving up the air he's breathing for someone more worthy.

I bet you never get laid. The only way you ever will is by crawling up a chicken's ass. Nobody wants to touch you or your Kreator shit, you fucking greasy, wacky-ass wanker. Not even a desperate homeless man would give you his digits after you suck his dick. I bet you're all alone. Not a single person wants to be anywhere near your shitty black metal and your smelly balls.

Now that I played your game, fuck off.

As far as the review, whatever. I don't have a problem with it. Unlike Dick over here, the guy sounded as if he actually listened to it. Although the first four songs really isn't 40% of the album, considering the last six are much, much longer.
17.08.2010 - 05:22
Derwood
Reasonable review, though the rating is at least 2 full points too high. "Where the Wild Wind Blows" is, to my ears, hands down the worst song on the album by a large margin. It is pure cheese, and not in a good way. It's rather like saying "Quest for Fire" is the best track on Piece of Mind. "The Talisman" is the only song worth listening to as far as I'm concerned.

Opinions...assholes...everyone knows the drill.
----
You can't fight evil with a macaroni duck!
17.08.2010 - 05:23
JohnDoe
Account deleted
Written by Papa_Ray on 17.08.2010 at 04:13

Hilarious review.

well, i disagree, best reunion album is Brave New World. At least BNW had two outstanding songs - Nomad and the Thin Line between Love and Hate; the new album does not have (in my opinion obviously) any songs that reach the level of these two songs. Not even the level of the song Pashendale, the only amazing song from 2003 Dance of death album. excuse my subjectivity.
17.08.2010 - 06:55
Iced Angel
First disappointing maiden's album! I'm a fan for almost 20 years, and never been disappointed except with this one Totally agree with the review, the first half of the album is OK, and the second half is average. The last song was the only good song in this album.
17.08.2010 - 08:23
Papa_Ray
Written by Guest on 17.08.2010 at 05:23

Written by Papa_Ray on 17.08.2010 at 04:13

Hilarious review.

well, i disagree, best reunion album is Brave New World. At least BNW had two outstanding songs - Nomad and the Thin Line between Love and Hate; the new album does not have (in my opinion obviously) any songs that reach the level of these two songs. Not even the level of the song Pashendale, the only amazing song from 2003 Dance of death album. excuse my subjectivity.

I am surprised to see that you think The Thin Line Between Love and Hate is a better song than Ghost of the Navigator and Blood Brothers. Either way, Isle of Avalon, Starblind, and When the Wild Wind Blows are all easily up to par with those songs you mentioned. This is an extremely solid album, in my opinion.

It's kind of funny. People complained about all of the repetitive choruses and open soft/end soft songs Maiden have done recently, and here they have completely changed. The Final Frontier is the only song with a repetitive chorus and The Man Who Would Be King and When the Wild Wind Blows are the only two songs that are bookended with softer music. It seems that no matter what Maiden do, people who still expect them to rewrite The Trooper and The Evil That Men Do over and over again will always find something to complain about, even when a truly great album slaps them in the face.

Wonderful album.

On a side note, Dickinson's lyrics to Starblind are absolutely masterful. Truly art.
17.08.2010 - 08:27
Rating: 9
juanopereira
Why did they do this horrible intro to "The Final Frontier" Song!? I think that song is really good but everytime I want to hear it I have to skip the intro. They could just make them in two separate tracks.
I agree with your review but if my maths are right the 4 first songs are the shortest ones so even if the album has 10 songs those 4 songs at the begining are less than a 40% of the album.
Sorry for my english, I'm from Chile, Southamerica.
17.08.2010 - 11:07
Dark Blood
The Avenger
I haven't heard of the album yet, and almost everyone seems to agree with this review. Honestly I'm not surprised, but that won't stop my curiosity and buying it. I'll post my critics when I have a formed opinion.
----
It is humanity who must pay homage to the greatness of the Universe... not the Universe to the human narcissism.
17.08.2010 - 11:47
vezzy
Stallmanite

"What the hell have they done to Iron Maiden?". It sounds nothing like Maiden in the 80s, indeed. And it feels more like hard rock than metal most of the time.

A snoozefest of an album full of worn out sounding songs by a worn out band that should have called a quit long ago.

Oh, shut the f--k up already.

Anyway, I'm currently in the middle of the first half and it's quite bland so far, but I'll see if it evolves.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
17.08.2010 - 14:23
ruffio

Anyway, feeding trolls only make them more fat, ugly, stinking

You're mad; and it's most likely because of the immense intimidation Maiden fans present to you. Sir, I do pitty you.
17.08.2010 - 14:30
Thryce
Retired Staff
elite
What a legendary album!

...that we're never going to speak of again.
----
Your favorite band sucks.
17.08.2010 - 14:56
LordMaiden
If Maiden were writing shit like it was still 1988, the same people would be blasting them for not changing.

1988 was 22 years ago. Get over it. Move on.
17.08.2010 - 14:59
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Thryce on 17.08.2010 at 14:30

What a legendary album!

...that we're never going to speak of again.

True.
----
17.08.2010 - 15:22
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
What a terribly boring album - I'd give it around a 5 for being so...mellow.

Don't these guys remember who they are anymore? (Not an Alzheimer's joke, I assure you.)
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
17.08.2010 - 15:23
Daniell
_爱情_
elite
Written by LordMaiden on 17.08.2010 at 14:56

If Maiden were writing shit like it was still 1988, the same people would be blasting them for not changing.

Sure, but move on to something good, don't wade in mediocrity.
17.08.2010 - 16:12
LordMaiden
Written by Daniell on 17.08.2010 at 15:23

Written by LordMaiden on 17.08.2010 at 14:56

Sure, but move on to something good, don't wade in mediocrity.

I think what's happening is most people who don't like it are simply becoming impatient with the intros. I understand that - but the intros, IMO, lead into spectacular songs. I don't mind if the meat has layers of plastic wrap around it, as long as the meat itself is of high quality. There are so many good things about the album, but it requires patience to appreciate it. The only major problem I have though, is the intro to The Talisman. It is a little too long.

And again, I make the point that many people bashing the album probably gave up on Maiden a long time ago. And I'll bet a gigantic sum that the departure happened between 1992 - 1999.

Most Maiden fans (the ones who didn't give up) consider DoD to be the worst of the modern albums. You know, the one with a bunch of 5 minute rockers.
17.08.2010 - 16:47
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
The intros aren't what kill it for me - I get bored to death by their...pointlessness. Nothing seems to go anywhere. And when an album is over an hour long, it damn better be heading somewhere else I'll be heading to lala land.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
17.08.2010 - 17:02
wvClifton

You swine. You vulgar little maggot. You worthless bag of filth. As they say in Texas. I'll bet you couldn't pour piss out of a boot with instructions on the heel. You are a canker, a sore that won't go away. I would rather kiss a lawyer than be seen with you. You couldn't attract flies if you were slathered in shit.
You're a putrescent mass, a walking vomit. You are a spineless little worm deserving nothing but the profoundest contempt. You are a jerk, a cad, a weasel. Your life is a monument to stupidity. You are a stench, a revulsion, a big suck on a sour lemon.

You are a bleating foal, a curdled staggering mutant dwarf smeared richly with the effluvia and offal accompanying your alleged birth into this world. An insensate, blinking calf, meaningful to nobody, abandoned by the puke-drooling, giggling beasts who sired you and then killed themselves in recognition of what they had done. The best part of you ran down your mother's leg a became a brown spot on the mattress.

I will never get over the embarrassment of belonging to the same species as you. You are a monster, an ogre, a malformity. I barf at the very thought of you. You have all the appeal of a paper cut. Lepers avoid you. You are vile, worthless, less than nothing. You are a weed, a fungus, the dregs of this earth. And did I mention you smell?

Try to edit your responses of unnecessary material before attempting to impress us with your insight. The evidence that you are a nincompoop will still be available to readers, but they will be able to access it more rapidly.

You snail-skulled little rabbit. Would that a hawk pick you up, drive its beak into your brain, and upon finding it rancid set you loose to fly briefly before spattering the ocean rocks with the frothy pink shame of your ignoble blood. May you choke on the queasy, convulsing nausea of your own trite, foolish beliefs.
You are weary, stale, flat and unprofitable. You are grimy, squalid, nasty and profane. You are foul and disgusting. You're a fool, an ignoramus. Monkeys look down on you. Even sheep won't have sex with you. You are unreservedly pathetic, starved for attention, and lost in a land that reality forgot.
And what meaning do you expect your delusionally self-important statements of unknowing, inexperienced opinion to have with us? What fantasy do you hold that you would believe that your tiny-fisted tantrums would have more weight than that of a leprous desert rat, spinning rabidly in a circle, waiting for the bite of the snake? You are a waste of flesh. You have no rhythm. You are ridiculous and obnoxious. You are the moral equivalent of a leech. You are a living emptiness, a meaningless void. You are sour and senile. You are a disease, you puerile one-handed slack-jawed drooling meatslapper.
On a good day you're a half-wit. You remind me of drool. You are deficient in all that lends character. You have the personality of wallpaper. You are dank and filthy. You are asinine and benighted. You are the source of all unpleasantness. You spread misery and sorrow wherever you go.

You smarmy lagerlout git. You bloody woofter sod. Bugger off, pillock. You grotty wanking oik artless base-court apple-john. You clouted boggish foot-licking twit. You dankish clack-dish plonker. You gormless crook-pated tosser. You churlish boil-brained clotpole ponce. You cockered bum-bailey poofter. You craven dewberry pisshead cockup pratting naff. You gob-kissing gleeking flap-mouthed coxcomb. You dread-bolted fobbing beef-witted clapper-clawed flirt-gill.

You are a fiend and a coward, and you have bad breath. You are degenerate, noxious and depraved. I feel debased just for knowing you exist. I despise everything about you, and I wish you would go away. I cannot believe how incredibly stupid you are. I mean rock-hard stupid. Dehydrated-rock-hard stupid. So stupid that it goes way beyond the stupid we know into a whole different dimension of stupid. You are trans-stupid stupid. Meta-stupid. Stupid collapsed on itself so far that even the neutrons have collapsed. Stupid gotten so dense that no intellect can escape. Singularity stupid. Blazing hot mid-day sun on Mercury stupid. You emit more stupid in one second than our entire galaxy emits in a year. Quasar stupid.

Your writing has to be a troll. Nothing in our universe can really be this stupid. Perhaps this is some primordial fragment from the original big bang of stupid. Some pure essence of a stupid so uncontaminated by anything else as to be beyond the laws of physics that we know.
I'm sorry. I can't go on. This is an epiphany of stupid for me. After this, you my not hear from me again for a while. I don't have enough strength left to deride your ignorant questions and half baked comments about unimportant trivia, or any of the rest of this drivel. Duh.

The only thing worse than your logic is your manners. Maybe later in life, after you have learned to read, write, spell, and count, you will have more success. True, these are rudimentary skills that many of us 'normal' people take for granted that everyone has an easy time of mastering. But we sometimes forget that there are 'challenged' persons in this world who find these things more difficult. If I had known that this was your case then I would have never read your post. It just wouldn't have been 'right.' Sort of like parking in a handicap space. I wish you the best of luck in the emotional, and social struggles that seem to be placing such a demand on you.

You are hypocritical, greedy, violent, malevolent, vengeful, cowardly, deadly, mendacious, meretricious, loathsome, despicable, belligerent, opportunistic, barratrous, contemptible, criminal, fascistic, bigoted, racist, sexist, avaricious, tasteless, idiotic, brain-damaged, imbecilic, insane, arrogant, deceitful, demented, lame, self-righteous, byzantine, conspiratorial, satanic, fraudulent, libelous, bilious, splenetic, spastic, ignorant, clueless, illegitimate, harmful, destructive, dumb, evasive, double-talking, devious, revisionist, narrow, manipulative, paternalistic, fundamentalist, dogmatic, idolatrous, unethical, cultic, diseased, suppressive, controlling, restrictive, malignant, deceptive, dim, crazy, weird, dystopic, stifling, uncaring, plantigrade, grim, unsympathetic, jargon-spouting, censorious, secretive, aggressive, mind-numbing, arassive, poisonous, flagrant, self-destructive, abusive, socially-retarded, puerile, clueless, and generally Not Good.
17.08.2010 - 17:09
vezzy
Stallmanite
...Holy fucking hell.
----

Hits total: 47786 | This month: 37