03. Mother Of Mercy
04. Coming Home
05. The Alchemist
06. Isle Of Avalon
07. Starblind
08. The Talisman
09. The Man Who Would Be King
10. When The Wild Wind Blows

Iron Maiden have had ups and downs, but they consistently stuck to their unique style. 2006's A Matter of Life and Death saw a serious departure from that style towards a darker, more progressive sound - it was only a partial success. Unfortunately, Steve Harris and Co. felt encouraged, and decided to go further in their departures. The first 4 songs on The Final Frontier rank among the worst this band has ever committed and most of the time sound nothing like the Iron Maiden everyone knows. Departure from style my ass. If they wanted to depart again, the previous album was the way to do it.

'Sounds like shit' - this was my first thought when I heard the longish introduction to the album. "Satellite 15..." is so unlike anything that Iron Maiden have ever recorded. A crude, repeating drum pattern, distorted, spacy sounds, drunken guitars that go nowhere. Even the vocals, when they enter, sound strange. Not only does that intro suck, but it also sounds really weird. Fortunately, the song changes radically after 4 minutes into a remote semblance of a good song.

'What the hell have they done to Iron Maiden?' - that was my second thought. The opening tracks are decent enough for thousands of obscure bands who would be proud to have recorded them, but for Iron Maiden standards, they are sodding poor, and I mean really poor. "The Apparition" poor. "The Final Frontier" isn't utterly abysmal - resurrecting the spirit of the 70's metal, with a catchy chorus, it is remotely palatable. But to balance it, "Coming Home" is an Iron Maiden fan nightmare, sounding like it was recorded during the Fear of the Dark session, which, in my opinion, is the worst Iron Maiden album, with only 2 good songs.

The next six tracks brought back some of my faith in Iron Maiden. Long songs, catchy choruses, melodic solos, everything is seemingly in place. Seemingly - Maiden fans can at last feel at home, and utter a sigh of relief, because there will be no more experiments until the end of the album, at least not as blatantly obvious ones as the intro. But what follows isn't top-notch Maiden, it's mid-range most of the time. Solos aren't too memorable, vocal lines aren't too melodic, riffs don't stick in my head.

Only the last song, "When the Wild Wind Blows," can be honestly called excellent. The riffs supported by simple, but powerful drumming somewhere in the 7th minute of the song - in that solitary moment Maiden sounds really classy. The song isn't quite as good as Maiden's best classic tracks, but it's on a par with the good songs from the later period. Maybe the leading vocal theme sounds too joyful and optimistic, in spite of telling a grim tale, but the song is deliciously complex and rich, a real treat to end this album.

Having died during the first 4 abysmal songs, I was partially resurrected by some good ones that followed, of which, sadly, only one is brilliant. The Final Frontier clocks in at over 76 minutes, and most of these minutes are well spent, assuming you have a pair of paddles handy to shock you back to life after the cardiac arrest that you will undergo at the onset of this album. Better yet, start listening from "The Alchemist." You should be at least partially satisfied.
How do I rank this? I could try to turn a blind eye on the beginning of The Final Frontier. But 4 terrible songs out of 10 is quite a lot. Sorry guys, not this time around. I can't ignore 40% of the album. 1 point up for the last track.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 7
Originality: 7
Production: 6

Written on 16.08.2010 by Writes overly honest and totally subjective reviews when fancy strikes him. Which is not often. Which is probably good, all things considered.

Guest review by
Death To Posers
Rating:
It seems like it's become trendy to dislike any music that becomes even somewhat mainstream. I am by no means bitter; I'm guilty of this prejudice quite often. So, when I saw the album votes go the way they did for The Final Frontier I wasn't shocked. But, in all honesty, I thought this album was pretty hard! This is one of Maiden's most successful albums to date and for a damn good reason. While it does sound different from anything they've done before, that doesn't make it worse. Do you really want three albums that sound exactly like Brave New World?

Read more ››
published 18.01.2011 | Comments (46)

Guest review by
omne metallum
Rating:
An album that skirts the title of worst album in Iron Maiden discography by fortune of existing in a world where Dance of Death exists, The Final Frontier is a well-intentioned album that seems stuck on autopilot for the most of its running time, bravely going where the band had not gone before... mediocrity. If you want a quick and concise description of this album, think "The Angel And The Gambler" in seven new guises!

Read more ››
published 15.04.2020 | Comments (2)

Comments page 3 / 9

Comments: 253   [ 2 ignored ]   Visited by: 1045 users
17.08.2010 - 23:25
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Ok, not saying this album is brilliant, but there are highlights - "Coming Home", "The Alchemist", "Starblind"...

i am quite satisfied
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

18.08.2010 - 00:35
Rating: 10
LordMaiden

The production on this is much better than AMOLAD. Maybe daniell needs to take the wax out of his ears.
18.08.2010 - 01:39
Rating: 2
RavenKing

Since Maiden fanboys seem to enjoy long texts, let me bring this one to you (don't worry, this one is not just a bunch of insults from a pissed off one-cell brain fanboy who can't do any better than borrowing shit elsewhere and throwing it on the page with no talent and coherence - by the way, thanks vwClifton, to make it obvious for all to see how Maiden fanboys are so eloquently 'brilliant'):

"Iron Maiden - The Final Frontier (2010)

Overall Rating: 6

Best Song: THE TROOPER (because it's not on here)

Oh, I wasn't talking about Iron Maiden, screw Iron Maiden. I was actually talking about Judas Priest, see, on account of how they used to be so mighty, but Nostradamus was utter garbage. Iron Maiden never were mighty, just pretty good. Heck, son, Iron Maiden has pretty much consistently been decent, with a few dips, twists, twirls, and shimmies, here or there. But now, oh god, now they're OLD, and nobody wants to listen to old man music. That is especially true when said old men want to sound as young as they can, and it's sad because you know deep down in their hearts they are trying, practically begging you to not put them in a nursing home and looking up at you with their puppy-dog eyes, but you know they smell rotten and the kids complain and what with the economy these days...

Iron Maiden is old, and argue the necessity of the elderly all you wish, I don't need them giving me any friggin' stickers or their ugliness when I walk in to my local Wal-Mart. What I need, is elderly gymnastics. Broken hips are so funny. So yeah, who needs a new Iron Maiden in 2010? No one. This is some inoffensive bilge. It's got the trademarks of dem boys, like stupid 'war' lyrics, Cockinson's air raid sirene, and the mashy-rashy heavy trot. It's got the personality in spades, but ya know, like, the songs themselves are really really bad. Have you ever heard a smashing, superb metal album with unique riffs, a singer who's got it 'going on', and a rhythm section that blows your mind? Yep, this album don't got none of that.

Iron Maiden's eagle is on automaton autopilot. Come on, man, no one needs this. The old farts will be content with their Number of the Beast, the proggers will be content smelling their own bodily fluids, and the young 'uns have their Lamb of God or whatever. It'd be worlds different if the songs were memorable, hard hitting, ferocious, or not boring, but no, we got nothing but generic (and oh god that word applies more than it ever should) rock/metal tunes with no soul or energy. Oh, the CD is over 70 minutes long, too. Makes me weep.

Why the hell?! why the hell did they need so much material? Those arrogant pricks! They know this isn't any good, but they shove as much of it down our throats as possible, just to make money. It's not fair! Don't they know I have to give my useless opinion on it?! Urgh, it makes me so angry! Plus, these other critics, giving it these reviews. Here, let me offer some insight into my rage:

"It's beautifully paced and disarmingly complex. It's a fresh take on a sound that has admirably withstood three decades of fashions and fads" - Classic Rock Magazine

"Only Iron Maiden know if this is their last hurrah, but if it is, they're going out the same way they came in: fearless, adventurous, and with a record that will still bowl you over in a decade's time." - Kerrang

Are these guys high on crack cocaine? Are we listening to the same record? What is wrong with humanity? Please lord, bring forth nuclear holocaust, please oh please Shiva, eliminate us from our delirious woes and trivialities! I beseech thee! Really, it's more like:

"It's an ugly mess of of complex tunes that got no energy or melody. It's a hideous take on their repetitive sound, and I don't know why they haven't died yet. Only Iron Maiden knows if this will be their last soulless cash-in, but if it is (please!) they're going out the same way they came in: as a group of folks with no real songwriting abilities, and merely trying to make some money to uphold their hardcore drug habits." - Some silly magazine

Hopefully this put everyone on the same page. This isn't a bad record, this is a boring record. It's so boring, I can't emotionally handle it, and the fact that they just friggin' had to put so much material on it is punishing. The guitars don't even screech and wail, no more! Dickinson's singing has died off and he sounds like he's singing from behind an oxygen mask. I can only say that at the very least, all the standard modes of Maiden are present, but I almost pity them, pondering on their lives and all the hardships they had to endure. Then I remember that they're Iron Maiden, and probably have lots more money than me, so screw them. This is just another lifeless album from old men who don't know when to quit torturing the younger, better generations. Someone put them in a nursing home!"

N.B. Thanks to you, LordMaiden, for sending me your purposeless pm. It allowed me to use the "ignore" button, so I don't have to see your shit on board any longer. Chess and mate, asshole.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
18.08.2010 - 01:53
LordMaiden

Aww, Dicktator is ignoring me like the little pussy he is. Yeah, that's right you slithering little fuck, run far away from me.

And that's CHECK and mate, dipshit.
18.08.2010 - 03:31
Kratos

The only song I liked off this album was "Satellite 15...the Final Frontier" every other song felt very boring to me

As for all the comments for this album...it has to win the MS 2010 drama award! lol
18.08.2010 - 04:04
yaddayadda

Written by RavenKing on 18.08.2010 at 01:39

Chess and mate, asshole.

LOL! EPIC FAIL!
18.08.2010 - 04:14
yaddayadda

...who can't do any better than borrowing shit elsewhere and throwing it on the page with no talent and coherence...

Kind of like what you just did by copying and pasting a review? EPIC FAIL AGAIN!
18.08.2010 - 05:03
Rating: 5
Derwood

Plagiarized or not, getting to read the rant posted by wvClifton has actually given this album some worth.

I officially appreciate it for the venom it has generated by being so hopelessly mediocre.

As long as I don't have to be put to sleep by it again.
----
You can't fight evil with a macaroni duck!
18.08.2010 - 05:29
jrnymn

The Final Frontier has them all epics, galloping riffs, Bruce's "air raid siren", prog rock style we saw on A Matter of Life and Death, reminiscences of classic songs like Wasted Years, Rime of the Ancient Mariner, Childhood's End etc, great storytelling and solid and louder (!) bass from Harris, some pretty solos by Adrian and some new sound that will leave you crying for the next album (if there is one). Its not Maiden from the 80's or the early 90's or the disastrous late 90's or the new 2000's era, it's Maiden in 2010 and lets accept it and respect them and move on.
18.08.2010 - 06:00
Stratowarrior

There are like 3 songs i did not like, but after that the album is really cool, i love the intro in the title track, it reminds me of quake or doom and really gives me sth that you can really tell that the song is about space, and the alchemist and Where the wild wind blows are amazing
----
power metal 'til death!!!!!!!!!
18.08.2010 - 06:37
Rating: 7
iMorphball

Written by jrnymn on 18.08.2010 at 05:29

The Final Frontier has them all epics, galloping riffs, Bruce's "air raid siren", prog rock style we saw on A Matter of Life and Death, reminiscences of classic songs like Wasted Years, Rime of the Ancient Mariner, Childhood's End etc, great storytelling and solid and louder (!) bass from Harris, some pretty solos by Adrian and some new sound that will leave you crying for the next album (if there is one). Its not Maiden from the 80's or the early 90's or the disastrous late 90's or the new 2000's era, it's Maiden in 2010 and lets accept it and respect them and move on.

That is all.
18.08.2010 - 06:50
Daydream Nation
Account deleted
Sorry, Maiden fans. This one's as much of a sleeper as A Matter of Life and Death. Score: 6.
18.08.2010 - 08:53
Papa_Ray

18.08.2010 - 09:09
xVovax

I liked the first 7 songs.this album is not too bad,like everyone says.
18.08.2010 - 12:04
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Written by Guest on 18.08.2010 at 06:50

This one's as much of a sleeper as A Matter of Life and Death. Score: 6.

i would say "this one is as much as A Matter of Life and Death" ...and since AMOLAD was great, although some old school fans are not willing to admit it, this one is great, or almost great too
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

18.08.2010 - 13:19
LordMaiden

Written by Derwood on 18.08.2010 at 05:03

Plagiarized or not, getting to read the rant posted by wvClifton has actually given this album some worth.

I officially appreciate it for the venom it has generated by being so hopelessly mediocre.

As long as I don't have to be put to sleep by it again.

Like your posting?
18.08.2010 - 15:00
Elijah
Dance, bitch!
To the "long post" people: tl;dr

To the album itself: Well, if I manage to go see them next year, I hope they don't plug this album. I am kinda disappointed by what I heard so far.
----
18.08.2010 - 15:25
Rating: 6
vezzy
Stallmanite
I'm liking this drama.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
18.08.2010 - 15:42
RobotPolarBear

Anyone want popcorn? It comes in a special edition Iron Maiden tub.
18.08.2010 - 15:54
Thryce
Retired Staff
Written by Elijah on 18.08.2010 at 15:00

To the "long post" people: tl;dr

I'll summarize it for ya: "butthurt".
----
Your favorite band sucks.
18.08.2010 - 15:55
Rating: 6
Daniell
_爱情_
Written by RobotPolarBear on 18.08.2010 at 15:42

Anyone want popcorn? It comes in a special edition Iron Maiden tub.

I'll have that plus a soda please.
18.08.2010 - 16:06
Hanjak

THis album is the worst...album in history of Iron Maiden. Yes, there is too much melodic songs, but... 4 points:maniac:
18.08.2010 - 16:07
RobotPolarBear

Quote:
I'll have that plus a soda please.

Do you want your soda in a special edition Iron Maiden cup?
18.08.2010 - 16:18
ParL

As an Iron Maiden fan i have to honestly say this is not one of their best albums yet it's not terrible. Since they got back together and with a new line up back in the year 2000 and with the release of Brave New World, all of us that really follow this band know that Maiden has taken a new direction on their music nothing too different from they earlier work back in the 80's but yet nothing too NEW sort of saying.

Maiden has proved to me personally already what are they capable of doing, and with A Matter of Life and Death back in 2006 and now with the newest release The Final Frontier they did it again. Once again, it's not their best work, yet it's not terrible, i like it.

Should we get used to this new chaning Maiden? i am not sure, due to the sort of changes they have done to their music, I am always waiting to be suprised, i still enjoy and i will always enjoy their art.

Up the Irons before, now and always!
----
"What you do in life, echoes in Eternity"
18.08.2010 - 16:44
wvClifton

Since Maiden fanboys seem to enjoy long texts, let me bring this one to you (don't worry, this one is not just a bunch of insults from a pissed off one-cell brain fanboy who can't do any better than borrowing shit elsewhere and throwing it on the page with no talent and coherence - by the way, thanks vwClifton, to make it obvious for all to see how Maiden fanboys are so eloquently 'brilliant'):

"Iron Maiden - The Final Frontier (2010)

Overall Rating: 6

Best Song: THE TROOPER (because it's not on here)

Oh, I wasn't talking about Iron Maiden, screw Iron Maiden. I was actually talking about Judas Priest, see, on account of how they used to be so mighty, but Nostradamus was utter garbage. Iron Maiden never were mighty, just pretty good. Heck, son, Iron Maiden has pretty much consistently been decent, with a few dips, twists, twirls, and shimmies, here or there. But now, oh god, now they're OLD, and nobody wants to listen to old man music. That is especially true when said old men want to sound as young as they can, and it's sad because you know deep down in their hearts they are trying, practically begging you to not put them in a nursing home and looking up at you with their puppy-dog eyes, but you know they smell rotten and the kids complain and what with the economy these days...

Iron Maiden is old, and argue the necessity of the elderly all you wish, I don't need them giving me any friggin' stickers or their ugliness when I walk in to my local Wal-Mart. What I need, is elderly gymnastics. Broken hips are so funny. So yeah, who needs a new Iron Maiden in 2010? No one. This is some inoffensive bilge. It's got the trademarks of dem boys, like stupid 'war' lyrics, Cockinson's air raid sirene, and the mashy-rashy heavy trot. It's got the personality in spades, but ya know, like, the songs themselves are really really bad. Have you ever heard a smashing, superb metal album with unique riffs, a singer who's got it 'going on', and a rhythm section that blows your mind? Yep, this album don't got none of that.

Iron Maiden's eagle is on automaton autopilot. Come on, man, no one needs this. The old farts will be content with their Number of the Beast, the proggers will be content smelling their own bodily fluids, and the young 'uns have their Lamb of God or whatever. It'd be worlds different if the songs were memorable, hard hitting, ferocious, or not boring, but no, we got nothing but generic (and oh god that word applies more than it ever should) rock/metal tunes with no soul or energy. Oh, the CD is over 70 minutes long, too. Makes me weep.

Why the hell?! why the hell did they need so much material? Those arrogant pricks! They know this isn't any good, but they shove as much of it down our throats as possible, just to make money. It's not fair! Don't they know I have to give my useless opinion on it?! Urgh, it makes me so angry! Plus, these other critics, giving it these reviews. Here, let me offer some insight into my rage:

"It's beautifully paced and disarmingly complex. It's a fresh take on a sound that has admirably withstood three decades of fashions and fads" - Classic Rock Magazine

"Only Iron Maiden know if this is their last hurrah, but if it is, they're going out the same way they came in: fearless, adventurous, and with a record that will still bowl you over in a decade's time." - Kerrang

Are these guys high on crack cocaine? Are we listening to the same record? What is wrong with humanity? Please lord, bring forth nuclear holocaust, please oh please Shiva, eliminate us from our delirious woes and trivialities! I beseech thee! Really, it's more like:

"It's an ugly mess of of complex tunes that got no energy or melody. It's a hideous take on their repetitive sound, and I don't know why they haven't died yet. Only Iron Maiden knows if this will be their last soulless cash-in, but if it is (please!) they're going out the same way they came in: as a group of folks with no real songwriting abilities, and merely trying to make some money to uphold their hardcore drug habits." - Some silly magazine

Hopefully this put everyone on the same page. This isn't a bad record, this is a boring record. It's so boring, I can't emotionally handle it, and the fact that they just friggin' had to put so much material on it is punishing. The guitars don't even screech and wail, no more! Dickinson's singing has died off and he sounds like he's singing from behind an oxygen mask. I can only say that at the very least, all the standard modes of Maiden are present, but I almost pity them, pondering on their lives and all the hardships they had to endure. Then I remember that they're Iron Maiden, and probably have lots more money than me, so screw them. This is just another lifeless album from old men who don't know when to quit torturing the younger, better generations. Someone put them in a nursing home!"

N.B. Thanks to you, LordMaiden, for sending me your purposeless pm. It allowed me to use the "ignore" button, so I don't have to see your shit on board any longer. Chess and mate, asshole.

Did I also happen to mention that you are a fudge-packing ass-ripping child toucher? How about a despicable cunt lapping ass itch fuckbubble? That couldn't find your own ass with both hands? That you are as fucked up as a soup sandwich? That you couldn't hit the floor if you dropped your hat? That you are a goo-goobling knob nibbling ass rimming cum dumpster? A creamy, cumbucket licking crotchwaffle? A butt pirate, a rump ranger, a limp dick teabagging cheese curd? A congealed concantenation of necrotic pig entrails? A miserable ball-gagging pus nut? An undescended, malignant rat testicle? A cottage cheese stuffed snot dripping cunt? A butt bruised, ham-handed, trailer dwelling welfare queen?
18.08.2010 - 17:34
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Jesus christ. fanboy, get a life.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

18.08.2010 - 17:46
yaddayadda

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 18.08.2010 at 17:34

Fuck your mother.
18.08.2010 - 18:20
LordMaiden

This is the best comment section ever.
18.08.2010 - 18:24
LordMaiden

This is from Hidden Douchebag:

"Poor fucking retard. Don't you realize you did exactly what I wished by sending this shit to me? You allowed me to use the "ignore" button, so I won't see your shit any longer on the board."

What an idiot. First he says "chess and mate" and then he thinks the only way to ignore someone is by PMing them? Fucking moron.
18.08.2010 - 18:26
Jon

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 18.08.2010 at 17:34

Don't you think Marcel, so far this is the most entertaining part of the new album's release - lots of online squabbles! I haven't heard it yet though. Perhaps my extreme reaction one way or another will have me breathing blood and rolling my eyes back into my skull in fury like everyone else.
----
A mythology is a religion different enough from your own for it's absurdity to be obvious.

Hits total: 47740 | This month: 46