03. Mother Of Mercy
04. Coming Home
05. The Alchemist
06. Isle Of Avalon
07. Starblind
08. The Talisman
09. The Man Who Would Be King
10. When The Wild Wind Blows

Iron Maiden have had ups and downs, but they consistently stuck to their unique style. 2006's A Matter of Life and Death saw a serious departure from that style towards a darker, more progressive sound - it was only a partial success. Unfortunately, Steve Harris and Co. felt encouraged, and decided to go further in their departures. The first 4 songs on The Final Frontier rank among the worst this band has ever committed and most of the time sound nothing like the Iron Maiden everyone knows. Departure from style my ass. If they wanted to depart again, the previous album was the way to do it.

'Sounds like shit' - this was my first thought when I heard the longish introduction to the album. "Satellite 15..." is so unlike anything that Iron Maiden have ever recorded. A crude, repeating drum pattern, distorted, spacy sounds, drunken guitars that go nowhere. Even the vocals, when they enter, sound strange. Not only does that intro suck, but it also sounds really weird. Fortunately, the song changes radically after 4 minutes into a remote semblance of a good song.

'What the hell have they done to Iron Maiden?' - that was my second thought. The opening tracks are decent enough for thousands of obscure bands who would be proud to have recorded them, but for Iron Maiden standards, they are sodding poor, and I mean really poor. "The Apparition" poor. "The Final Frontier" isn't utterly abysmal - resurrecting the spirit of the 70's metal, with a catchy chorus, it is remotely palatable. But to balance it, "Coming Home" is an Iron Maiden fan nightmare, sounding like it was recorded during the Fear of the Dark session, which, in my opinion, is the worst Iron Maiden album, with only 2 good songs.

The next six tracks brought back some of my faith in Iron Maiden. Long songs, catchy choruses, melodic solos, everything is seemingly in place. Seemingly - Maiden fans can at last feel at home, and utter a sigh of relief, because there will be no more experiments until the end of the album, at least not as blatantly obvious ones as the intro. But what follows isn't top-notch Maiden, it's mid-range most of the time. Solos aren't too memorable, vocal lines aren't too melodic, riffs don't stick in my head.

Only the last song, "When the Wild Wind Blows," can be honestly called excellent. The riffs supported by simple, but powerful drumming somewhere in the 7th minute of the song - in that solitary moment Maiden sounds really classy. The song isn't quite as good as Maiden's best classic tracks, but it's on a par with the good songs from the later period. Maybe the leading vocal theme sounds too joyful and optimistic, in spite of telling a grim tale, but the song is deliciously complex and rich, a real treat to end this album.

Having died during the first 4 abysmal songs, I was partially resurrected by some good ones that followed, of which, sadly, only one is brilliant. The Final Frontier clocks in at over 76 minutes, and most of these minutes are well spent, assuming you have a pair of paddles handy to shock you back to life after the cardiac arrest that you will undergo at the onset of this album. Better yet, start listening from "The Alchemist." You should be at least partially satisfied.
How do I rank this? I could try to turn a blind eye on the beginning of The Final Frontier. But 4 terrible songs out of 10 is quite a lot. Sorry guys, not this time around. I can't ignore 40% of the album. 1 point up for the last track.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 7
Originality: 7
Production: 6

Written on 16.08.2010 by Writes overly honest and totally subjective reviews when fancy strikes him. Which is not often. Which is probably good, all things considered.

Guest review by
Death To Posers
Rating:
It seems like it's become trendy to dislike any music that becomes even somewhat mainstream. I am by no means bitter; I'm guilty of this prejudice quite often. So, when I saw the album votes go the way they did for The Final Frontier I wasn't shocked. But, in all honesty, I thought this album was pretty hard! This is one of Maiden's most successful albums to date and for a damn good reason. While it does sound different from anything they've done before, that doesn't make it worse. Do you really want three albums that sound exactly like Brave New World?

Read more ››
published 18.01.2011 | Comments (46)

Guest review by
omne metallum
Rating:
An album that skirts the title of worst album in Iron Maiden discography by fortune of existing in a world where Dance of Death exists, The Final Frontier is a well-intentioned album that seems stuck on autopilot for the most of its running time, bravely going where the band had not gone before... mediocrity. If you want a quick and concise description of this album, think "The Angel And The Gambler" in seven new guises!

Read more ››
published 15.04.2020 | Comments (2)

Comments page 8 / 9

Comments: 253   [ 2 ignored ]   Visited by: 1045 users
22.08.2010 - 14:03
Shit, I didn't realise there were people still listening to Maiden in 2010...
22.08.2010 - 16:47
Posi76
Personally, I must say I enjoy this album quite a lot. The more I listen to it, the more I like it. But hey, that's me.
22.08.2010 - 17:02
Rating: 6
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Merchant of Doom on 22.08.2010 at 14:03

What's wrong with that?
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
22.08.2010 - 17:48
Written by vezzy on 22.08.2010 at 17:02

Written by Merchant of Doom on 22.08.2010 at 14:03

What's wrong with that?

What's wrong with that? Nothing per se, but it's the same old sh*t, stuff I used to listen to when I was 12 and it still sounds like music for 12 year olds......
22.08.2010 - 17:52
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Merchant of Doom on 22.08.2010 at 17:48
what's wrong? It's the same old sh*t! Stuff i used to listen to when I was 12...

Oh, thank goodness. For a moment there, I thought you dismissed all old bands.
Yeah, I agree. Same old, though not quite as old (not by year, ofc) as Metallica. That's something to be sick of.
----
23.08.2010 - 01:01
I don't mind people my age playing "metal", as long as the "metal" is good...
24.08.2010 - 00:59
x-avier
I think this album is awesome.. once you can enjoy it a couple of times it gets very dam good. Even the first 2 tracks that are supposed to be baddest ones are enjoyable. The last song from the album is really really nice.
24.08.2010 - 12:27
ponderer
As a good friend of mine from back home stated perfectly, the guitar production during the recording process hasn't been the same since Birch retired. There are a few problems with Maiden these days which are:

1. they are getting old
2. 3 guitars playing the same riffs without Birch in the studio behind the controls sounds like complete ass
3. they are getting old

My biggest gripe here is the guitar work which just sounds like complete shit when they are all playing the same chords and simplistic riffs. When they break off and start doing their own things with someone doing rhythm, someone doing a lighter riff or harmony and then someone doing a solo it sounds fantastic. If you are going to have 3 guitarists at least put 'em to work properly instead of having them grind out the same tired sounding chords and riffs all the time.

Lets all be honest with ourselves here. Does anyone seriously think Iron Maiden are ever going to do anything as tight as they did in the studio from Number of the Beast to Seventh Son ever again? Dream on. Everything they've done since Seventh Son has been hit or miss, mostly miss. There are scattered vague glimpses of the old Maiden here and there after Seventh Son but they are just too few and far between. I love Iron Maiden and they'll always remain one of my favorites since I came home with The Number of the Beast vinyl shortly after its release, but I'm starting to wonder if there's any magic left in this band? I'd pay to go see them in concert again and again, but I don't ever see them doing another Piece of Mind or Powerslave.
25.08.2010 - 05:19
Eddie Misery
Written by ponderer on 24.08.2010 at 12:27

As a good friend of mine from back home stated perfectly, the guitar production during the recording process hasn't been the same since Birch retired. There are a few problems with Maiden these days which are:

1. they are getting old
2. 3 guitars playing the same riffs without Birch in the studio behind the controls sounds like complete ass
3. they are getting old

My biggest gripe here is the guitar work which just sounds like complete shit when they are all playing the same chords and simplistic riffs. When they break off and start doing their own things with someone doing rhythm, someone doing a lighter riff or harmony and then someone doing a solo it sounds fantastic. If you are going to have 3 guitarists at least put 'em to work properly instead of having them grind out the same tired sounding chords and riffs all the time.

Lets all be honest with ourselves here. Does anyone seriously think Iron Maiden are ever going to do anything as tight as they did in the studio from Number of the Beast to Seventh Son ever again? Dream on. Everything they've done since Seventh Son has been hit or miss, mostly miss. There are scattered vague glimpses of the old Maiden here and there after Seventh Son but they are just too few and far between. I love Iron Maiden and they'll always remain one of my favorites since I came home with The Number of the Beast vinyl shortly after its release, but I'm starting to wonder if there's any magic left in this band? I'd pay to go see them in concert again and again, but I don't ever see them doing another Piece of Mind or Powerslave.

Aye. Agreed, fully. Piece of Mind...now there's a great Maiden album. I would be interested still to give their new one a listen, but..I don't imagine I'll be purchasing it any time soon. I'll just wait till someone I know gets it..lol.
25.08.2010 - 11:57
ponderer
Written by Eddie Misery on 25.08.2010 at 05:19

1. they are getting old
3. they are getting old

Aye. Agreed, fully. Piece of Mind...now there's a great Maiden album. I would be interested still to give their new one a listen, but..I don't imagine I'll be purchasing it any time soon. I'll just wait till someone I know gets it..lol.

it's not bad, don't get me wrong. There are a few bright spots, but overall it sounds tired and messy as has most of their stuff since way back when. After writing what I did yesterday I got in the car and popped in the discography and started from the first album and I'm working my way through the entire thing again. I absolutely love the band and the earlier stuff up through Seventh Son. The production was so tight and flawless! I commend the boys for continuing to put out decent heavy metal, but I seriously question how long they'll be able to continue coming up with material.

Now if Maiden ever decided to go on the road and do a REAL Somewhere Back in Time tour with a setlist like say...

01. Prowler
02. Remember Tomorrow
03. Phanton of the Opera
04. Strange World
05. Charlotte the Harlot
06. The Ides of March
07. Wrathchild
08. Murders in the Rue Morgue
09. Killers
10. Prodigal Son
11. Invaders
12. Gangland

_ INTERMISSION _

13. Total Eclipse
14. Where Eagles Dare
15. Still Life (without Bruce fucking up the lyrics!)
16. To Tame a Land
17. Losfer Words (Big 'Orra)
18. The Duellists
19. Back in the Village
20. Sea of Madness
21. Deja Vu
22. Alexander the Great
23. The Prophecy
24. Only the Good Die Young

Can you f'ing imagine?
25.08.2010 - 16:46
JÄY
Metal slave
Written by ponderer on 25.08.2010 at 11:57

1. they are getting old
3. they are getting old

it's not bad, don't get me wrong. There are a few bright spots, but overall it sounds tired and messy as has most of their stuff since way back when. After writing what I did yesterday I got in the car and popped in the discography and started from the first album and I'm working my way through the entire thing again. I absolutely love the band and the earlier stuff up through Seventh Son. The production was so tight and flawless! I commend the boys for continuing to put out decent heavy metal, but I seriously question how long they'll be able to continue coming up with material.

Now if Maiden ever decided to go on the road and do a REAL Somewhere Back in Time tour with a setlist like say...

01. Prowler
02. Remember Tomorrow
03. Phanton of the Opera
04. Strange World
05. Charlotte the Harlot
06. The Ides of March
07. Wrathchild
09. Killers
10. Prodigal Son
11. Invaders
12. Gangland

_ INTERMISSION _

13. Total Eclipse
14. Where Eagles Dare
16. To Tame a Land
18. The Duellists
19. Back in the Village
20. Sea of Madness
21. Deja Vu
22. Alexander the Great
23. The Prophecy

Can you f'ing imagine?

youre playing with madness
25.08.2010 - 17:07
Eddie Misery
Written by JÄY on 25.08.2010 at 16:46

Written by ponderer on 25.08.2010 at 11:57

1. they are getting old
3. they are getting old

01. Prowler
02. Remember Tomorrow
03. Phanton of the Opera
04. Strange World
05. Charlotte the Harlot
06. The Ides of March
07. Wrathchild
09. Killers
10. Prodigal Son
11. Invaders
12. Gangland

_ INTERMISSION _

13. Total Eclipse
14. Where Eagles Dare
16. To Tame a Land
18. The Duellists
19. Back in the Village
20. Sea of Madness
21. Deja Vu
22. Alexander the Great
23. The Prophecy

Can you f'ing imagine?

youre playing with madness

I love it! That would be amazing. That's a killer set. I really think they could tour multiple times -- so epic hah.
26.08.2010 - 03:03
Rantude
NOTICE: I registered only to reply on your stupid review! I can not understand what are you talking about. I personally liked the album, and I can simply understand why somebody isn't. But you... So, you're saying that A matter of life and death was better than this, but more progressive, but you like simple chords, melodies, solos... WTF?! And song in which there is most parts which are repeating is you favorite, When the wild wind blows, of course, because this one you could remember cause you heard verse 256 times! Good! This album is mix-up of BNW, Dance Of Death and Dickinson solo carrier. This is the most unreasonable review I had ever seen.
01.09.2010 - 05:54
blssdmf43
Dude, I am a Maiden fan back from the day (Im 43 years old). This album is classic Maiden. I dont know what this so-called critic was smoking today, but he's insane. This album fuckin rules! Enjoy!:banger2:
01.09.2010 - 15:12
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by blssdmf43 on 01.09.2010 at 05:54

Dude, I am a Maiden fan back from the day (Im 43 years old). This album is classic Maiden. I dont know what this so-called critic was smoking today, but he's insane. This album fuckin rules! Enjoy!:banger2:

I am a Maiden fan back from the day as well (42 years old) and got into them through The Soundhouse Tapes, but this album certainly isn't classic Maiden at all. It shouldn't even be allowed in the same. The critic gave it a 7.2 which isn't bad at all. And about 1 to 2 points higher than I would rate it.
I would want to know what you've been smoking or popping in order to be able to ssee this mediocre album as classic Maiden.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

01.09.2010 - 15:35
JohnDoe
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 01.09.2010 at 15:12

I am a Maiden fan back from the day as well (42 years old) and got into them through The Soundhouse Tapes, but this album certainly isn't classic Maiden at all. It shouldn't even be allowed in the same. The critic gave it a 7.2 which isn't bad at all. And about 1 to 2 points higher than I would rate it.
I would want to know what you've been smoking or popping in order to be able to ssee this mediocre album as classic Maiden.

7.2 is still a positive rating, it means the reviewer thinks the album is good.
01.09.2010 - 15:37
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Guest on 01.09.2010 at 15:35

I know, that's what I said.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

01.09.2010 - 15:46
JohnDoe
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 01.09.2010 at 15:37

Written by Guest on 01.09.2010 at 15:35

I know, that's what I said.

Right, but some people don't even bother to read the rating rules.
02.09.2010 - 00:33
Rating: 2
RavenKing

I'm 38 myself and discovered Maiden with the self-titled album, back in 1980. I must say I'm on Marcel's side. There's no way this dragfest of an album can belong to the same league as the 80s stuff.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
02.09.2010 - 10:23
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite

Long live lack of critical insight and blind infatuation!
Sadly, this album has zero things in common with classic Maiden. I'm sorry for you if you fail to notice that

Obviously, it's still pretty decent because, as I said before, musicians with such proficiency as Maiden can't really record something really bad. It can be disappointing, as is the case here, but it can't really be too bad.
11.09.2010 - 19:00
Rating: 10
DoomGuard
I disagree with your review on the first 4 songs, El Dorado is amazing, fucking amazing, shit-ton amazing
11.09.2010 - 19:03
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Daniell on 02.09.2010 at 10:23

Sadly, this album has zero things in common with classic Maiden. I'm sorry for you if you fail to notice that

Obviously, it's still pretty decent because, as I said before, musicians with such proficiency as Maiden can't really record something really bad. It can be disappointing, as is the case here, but it can't really be too bad.

Virtual XI, anyone?
----
12.09.2010 - 15:53
Rating: 2
RavenKing
Written by vezzy on 11.09.2010 at 19:03

Written by Daniell on 02.09.2010 at 10:23

Virtual XI, anyone?

Maiden proved that they can be quite bad or even horrendous.
Half of "Fear Of The Dark" is pure shit.
"The X Factor" is pure shit.
"Virtual XI" is pure shit.
Lots of stuff after Bruce's comeback sucks too.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
15.09.2010 - 10:03
angel_heart
It's definitely not their best work, but it's still in the same vein of iron maiden and it sounds good. my favorite song is by far "mother of mercy", which i love and which is in the all-bashed first half. isle of avalon and the alchemist are good too. all in all, it's a decent album. not shinny like their previous ones, but i enjoy listening to it more then a whole bunch of other things.
16.09.2010 - 20:27
Rating: 7
GT
Coffee!!
Staff
I finally got the album today and have just listened to it for the first time. Wasn't as bad as I expected, but it's definitely not amongst their best works. I agree that the first four songs are very disappointing and the last being quite good. The songs in between are not memorable, but not bad at all.
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
26.11.2010 - 14:02
Bovinus
It wouldn't have been such a bad album, if it wasn't Iron Maiden. I listened to it, and thought at first that it was decent. Nothing outstanding, but still okay. Then I listened to The Number of the Beast (which is not my favourite, btw), and understood that The Final Frontier is shit, in regards to Maiden's standards. It's not bad, it's just uninspired, boring and overall mediocre. It's barely worth something between 5.5 and 6.
06.01.2011 - 13:25
jimmy
Cant really get into this album. i like the first 5 songs or so and then it just gets boring. the songs are so long that you just get tired of hearing them. they're all just kinda BLAH and uninteresting. bruce's solo albums were better than this. remember when dave and adrian wrote searing, killer riffs? hell even janick has had his moments over the years, but this, this is just criminal. i long for the days of old when every song on the album was a keeper and were filled with energy. they need to hook up with andy sneap for the next record so he can breathe some life into these guys.
08.01.2011 - 21:12
Gummingurru

dude,i think it's a fake . some troll created the profile just to leave this comment to make controversy.the only thing this profile has on metalstorm is his age and this message
22.01.2011 - 11:11
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Just a point here... the album's score per MS users (notorious for over-inflating or tanking albums) is 7.5 with over 400 votes. of those 400+ votes, only 10 are 3 or less. virtually every album on the top 10 of all time releases has at least that many 1 votes from users engaging in gameplay with votes.

nutshell: lots of votes, but comparatively not that many low votes... and still mid 7.

for those who criticize the review, Dani P(hilth) wasn't far off from what metalstormers seem to thank.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
24.12.2011 - 23:56
Milena
gloom cookie
Staff
Yes, I love commenting on old reviews, carry on...

What bugs me about Maiden is that people tank new albums partially because they don't line up with the old stuff, and if they do like them, they must absolutely mention that "it's not as good as Powerslave but still". For people who say "I don't expect them to release another Powerslave", well, does anyone honestly expect out of 50+ band just having fun to release their best quality albums? I sure as hell don't. That shouldn't even be mentioned. Why keep expectations high when they shouldn't be?

Out of the four "new" Maiden albums, I sometimes see AMOLAD as the weakest one and sometimes this one as the weakest one. I enjoy them a lot, though, but I think this one will "earn" that title in the end. These decent 76 minutes could have been very good 60 minutes. I'm a part of the prog crowd so I don't complain about length a lot but some of these meandered too much, like "Isle Of Avalon" and "The Man Who Would Be King". I didn't have a lot of alienation issues with the first half of the album because I already figured it would have been different, if not necessarily good, and I pretty much adore "Coming Home" (I'm getting tired of being the black sheep here ).

But I agree with the general feeling of the review. Some nice minutes to be found here, and "The Alchemist" should have been the intro, dropping that electro shizzle from the start of "Final Frontier" which would have come somewhere in the middle.
----
7.0 means the album is good

Hits total: 47795 | This month: 46