06. The Asylum
07. Save Me
08. Catch Of The Century
09. Out Of Vogue
10. Superheroes
11. Trinidad
12. Fucking With Fire (Hair Force One) [bonus]
13. Land Of The Miracle [Live In Brazil] [bonus]

Over the past years, the name Edguy has stood for first-rate power metal, their last couple of albums all being masterpieces. Unfortunately, this era seeme to have ended for now as their latest release is far from the greatness of its predecessors. Rather, "Rocket Ride" is somewhere between light and shadow, and unfortunately the shadow has gained the upper hand. This contrast is best shown by comparing the first two songs.

On the one hand, "Sacrifice" is fantastic. The album's longest piece at 8 minutes features frequent changes between soft and heavy parts, bound together in a magnificent arrangement with wonderful melodies and a great chorus. A clear display of Tobias Sammet's musical genius that evokes high hopes for the remainder of the album - which are immediately crushed:

The title track, coming next, must be one of the worst Edguy songs ever. Well, hard rock fans might like it, but it's absolutely not power metal. The riff in particular I'd never expected to hear on an Edguy release. It sticks out like an alien element. Terrible.

The rest of the album confirms this tendency. A few songs are quite good - the catchy "Superheroes" and the energetic "Fucking with Fire" (which is officially a bonus track) stand out positively - but most of the rest is mediocre or worse. "Save Us" ranks among Edguy's weakest ballads, "Catch of the Century" is overly repetitive, "Trinidad" is bonus material at best. And while "Out of Vogue" and "Wasted Time" represent the classical Edguy power sound, they can't hold a candle to the likes of "Tears of a Mandrake" and "King of Fools." Tobi's well-known antics - he sings a guitar solo in "Return to the Tribe" and throws a screaming fit at the end of "Catch of the Century" - are funny, but don't increase the album's quality by any margin.

Overall, most of this album just doesn't reach the standards Edguy have set in the past; it lacks much of the energy and catchiness that their releases used to thrive with. As many songs don't even feel like power metal, a dreadful question comes up: Are Edguy abandoning the music they have perfected for so long, and turning hard rock? Or are they just experimenting?

I certainly hope it's the latter.

Rating: 6 - maybe the worst Edguy album of all time, this is by no means a worthy successor to the supreme "Hellfire Club."

Written by Account deleted | 23.08.2006

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 21   Visited by: 132 users
23.08.2006 - 23:42
Baz Anderson
staff
i agree with most of all this
i do like hard rock and everything as well though so maybe i like the album more then other people
i do like the album but i agree it is nothing on the last four albums before it at all
24.08.2006 - 18:47
Rating: 7
Promonex
Cathemeral
elite
Very true and well-written review. And for some reason that "guitar" solo in 'Return to the Tribe' reminds me of that annoying Crazy Frog; with the main difference that Tobi's solo isn't annoying, but actually quite cool.
----
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu... This is the truth! This is my belief! ...At least for now.
- The Mystery of Life, Vol. 841 Ch. 26
25.08.2006 - 13:26
steiner
Account deleted
Not a bad cd but any decent 80s mtv metal band could release this stuff Edguy are capable of much more.
30.08.2006 - 08:05
Hokusai
Account deleted
True true. This is nothing to the all mighty Theatre of Salvation... I was really disappointed... I mean, I also like hard rock... but this is not Edguy
30.08.2006 - 18:26
BlankFile
Well , i guess Toby decided to introduce more of that mid tempo songs, instead of the traditionall Power and Fast songs that simbolizes Edguy material and other bands of the genre. And i don´t think Toby is in the mood for changing this style in a short date... In fact he did an interview, saying that the next Edguy album will have more... Hard Rock and Ballads... So my theory about Edguy is that, the band is surely changing for another route, the non-metal route i guess... But non the less, i think Rocket Ride is a catchy album, easy to listen, but the quality of it cannot be compared, no at all, to albuns like Theather of Salvation, Mandrake and Hellfire Club < Masterpieces i mean.
Stay Metal Dudes! |m|
01.09.2006 - 23:27
Cloud Strife
Account deleted
Really

Tobi is "genial".
This is the max he can do? No
But it's a good album
There're some better than it but it's good
Let's see, in a not-much-distant-future what he will do.
A hope anything a little better
04.11.2006 - 20:13
Rating: 8
Spyroid
Rosetta Stoned
I don't mind that they've changed, they've release so much great power metal already. And they do hard rock as awesome as they do power metal. 8/10
25.07.2007 - 00:48
Arcaliz666
Account deleted
This album It's not the sound that Edguy has us accustomed....
03.09.2007 - 19:48
Infurnace
I really like the album, although the sound is really different from the last albums. There are some really catchy songs on this album, and I simply love "Out Of Vogue". That one is brilliant!
16.10.2007 - 14:34
Hyvaarin
Actually, I think this is my favourite Edguy album. It took a lot of balls to take on this stylistic change, and they've pulled it off well. They seem perfectly at home playing this kind of hard rock/power metal.
----
"Summoned By Words Never Spoken Before..."
08.05.2008 - 02:56
Srdjan Glava
i think this review is a bunch of crap...album is not a power... so?
its a great album not matter if it is power or hard rock or something like that...i love threir previous albums,all of them...and i think this style alternation is good for a change...
28.10.2008 - 16:05
Spyroid
Rosetta Stoned
By the way - the "awful ballad" isn't called "Save Us" - that's an old Edguy track
16.12.2008 - 17:36
Kallis Helmi
ManDaraBosS
Written by Spyroid on 28.10.2008 at 16:05

By the way - the "awful ballad" isn't called "Save Us" - that's an old Edguy track

Neither. The ballad is called "Save Me" and the speed song is called "Save Us Now". "Save Us" is a Helloween song!
----
"Now I'm leaving my worries behind
Feel the freedom of body and mind
I am starting my journey, I'm drifting away with the wind
I go"
07.05.2009 - 09:22
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
Another decent album from the guy name Ed . I always enjoy their albuns even not being much into Power metal stuff. ''Catch of the century'' is awesome.
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
28.05.2009 - 18:12
Feirund
Well, well, well - another of them reviews that doesn't really analyse anything that should be analysed. Rocket Ride may be Hard Rock oriented, but it's far better than the traditional boring-meaningless-talentless-waste-of-time-mainstream hard rock.
25.09.2009 - 12:23
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
I think it is not that bad album afterall...it just doesnt meet the "high standards" of some people...
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

28.02.2011 - 17:45
Mountain King
K i K o
It deserves a 7.5. It's not bad at all. A lot better than Tinitus Sanctus!...
01.03.2011 - 06:42
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Very interesting, and varied comments regarding this album! I myself, not having an aversion to hard rock, certainly don't hate the album for being overall, not power/speed metal. I find the overall quality of the album to be quite patchy. The opener "Sacrifice", is amazing and one of Edguy's best ever songs. Most of the other songs are not up to that one's extremely high standard though. "Trinidad" is absolutely ridiculous, but also catchy as all hell! lol Although "Superheroes" is probably the best known track from this album, I definitely see it as being one of the weakest. Quite why it's considered an Edguy classic is beyond me, but there you go.

Id give the album a 7.5, or an 8 if I was feeling generous. There are some very good songs on the album, but overall, the album just lacks that extra something it needs to elevate it to the classic status that most of Edguy's earlier albums rightfully hold. :\
28.12.2011 - 20:46
mandrake88
Account deleted
One of the worst reviews I've ever seen. Not only a bad understanding about music but also a bad taste. 6.0 rating for this album is ridiculous, but i would give much less for the review !!!
28.12.2011 - 21:33
RavenKing
Written by Angelic Storm on 01.03.2011 at 06:42

Very interesting, and varied comments regarding this album! I myself, not having an aversion to hard rock, certainly don't hate the album for being overall, not power/speed metal.

Maybe it's because I have a total aversion for hard rock but there's no way I can stand this kind of crappy popmetal.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
15.01.2020 - 12:30
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Rating: 6 - maybe the worst Edguy album of all time, this is by no means a worthy successor to the supreme "Hellfire Club."
I would say this to following 3, will judge them soom
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing

Hits total: 9233 | This month: 14