Metal Storm logo
Need help with buying an acoustic guitar

24.08.2010 - 05:06
Zombie
Thrash'tillDeath
Well, since i'm completely ignorant about acoustic guitars .. i turn to you guys to help me out in buying one.. what's a good acoustic-electric guitar (an acoustic guitar that could be connected to an amplifier) that is under 300$ ? ... i've seen a few 'ibanez' that i felt comfortable playing with at the guitar store .. but i absolutely have no idea how to differentiate between 'good' acoustic sound and 'not so good' sound ... what kinds of woods should i go for ? ... how can different body shapes differ or affect the sound quality ? what are good 'bridges' and 'nuts' ?

anyways, i've tried this guitar (http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez-AEG10E-Acoustic-Electric-Guitar-102960127-i1150882.gc?source=4WFRWXX&CAWELAID=29483687) and it feels really comfortable playing and it sounds good (at least i think so, not an expert on acoustics)... what do you guys think about it ? ... and if you have a better suggestion feel free to post them .. just keep in mind my budget is around 300$ give of take 25$ for example.

thanks
----

None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free
Johann Wolfgang van Goethe 1749-1832
24.08.2010 - 05:26
warrior_of_ice
Im actually getting a 12 string soon. http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ovation-Standard-Balladeer-2751-AX-12String-AcousticElectric-Guitar?sku=620757

try search stuff on musiciansfriend. im sure u can find something to fit ur price range.

i wouldnt really go for the Ibanez as acoustic guitars really arent their specialty.
29.08.2010 - 04:23
Archetype
I don't think you should focus on brands so much but rather what feels good and sounds good to you. Make sure that you're happy with the shape of the body (so that it sits comfortably during playing) and make sure to inspect the neck as well as the string action. I'm not that experienced in the the "acoustic-electric" department but what I've just mentioned should apply in all guitar situations. You also don't want it to start warping and cracking months after so if there's one on display, check to see how it's holding up.

In conclusion, just go in the store and play. You're likely to find some expensive guitars that sound like crap to you and some cheap guitars that sound a lot better so the important thing is to experiment and see what you're ultimately happy with.
29.08.2010 - 05:01
Zombie
Thrash'tillDeath
The stores here aren't tht well-stocked so i'm probably gonna order it online .. but that ibanez felt really good playing with it, it has a good thin neck with frets about the same of an electric (which is a bonus as i'm not able to play those super-mega-jumbo regular acoustic frets, i have a relatively small hand ), and its body size it good, thin and not bulky .. and it sounds really good (i'm no expert on acoustics but i think it sounds clear and natural) ... my only con on it is that it is made of 'agathis' wood wich is a very cheap replacement for mhogany .. i had an agathis electric guitar and it got chopped in half .. very poor wood.. so i think this acoustic guitar might not be so durable .. especially it is about 250 $ (USD) so its a bit cheap for a guitar ... i wanted to know if any of you guys know a similar guitar (inshape and size) but would have better build or made out of better materials. i'm considering the ibanez AEG20 .. it is basically the same guitar but with mahogany wood and 'better stuff', it is same series but a higher model ... so, before going on and ordering the guitar.. i thought some of you guys would know better as i've never played an acoustic before but i kinda need one now for stuff that i'm recording (and my damn guitar doesn't work well with the "acoustic simulator" pedal as i have EMG active pickups that are EXTREMELY powerful and noisy.. they aren't suitable at all for mellow or clean stuff.
----

07.09.2010 - 04:20
whatsacow
Written by warrior_of_ice on 24.08.2010 at 05:26

Im actually getting a 12 string soon. http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ovation-Standard-Balladeer-2751-AX-12String-AcousticElectric-Guitar?sku=620757

try search stuff on musiciansfriend. im sure u can find something to fit ur price range.

i wouldnt really go for the Ibanez as acoustic guitars really arent their specialty.

The saying with 12 strings is you spend 90% of the time tuning them and 10% of the time playing them. I wouldn't bother with a 12 string.
I would always recommend a semi acoustic, as there is so much more you can do with them.
----
When God made up the golden rule, do you think he noticed that it condones rape?
07.09.2010 - 05:10
Zombie
Thrash'tillDeath
Written by whatsacow on 07.09.2010 at 04:20

I would always recommend a semi acoustic, as there is so much more you can do with them.

and that is what the thread is all about .. any specific recommendations ?
----

07.09.2010 - 16:33
whatsacow
What i like in a guitar may not be what you like. I've got a Tanglewood Sundance TW45 and it is beautiful. About $500 australian brand new... but its an amazing guitar.
----
When God made up the golden rule, do you think he noticed that it condones rape?
08.09.2010 - 04:56
Zombie
Thrash'tillDeath
Yeah i checked out that guitar.. seems great, but its way above my budget ... i'm limited to 300$ or 350$
----

08.09.2010 - 06:59
whatsacow
You could go with an Ibanez. They are like a more upgraded version of ashton, in that they do imitations of other brands, but they still sound good. generally pretty cheap too. Maybe an Ibanez AEL10E
----
08.09.2010 - 16:24
Zombie
Thrash'tillDeath
Yeah i was thinking about the AEL10E but its not available in the guitar store, they only have the AEG ... so i'd have to wait a few months until the next shipment arrives.. but the AEL is a great one.. i'd probably go for it
----

09.09.2010 - 22:25
ANGEL REAPER
I'll tell you something that people told me when i was about to by acoustic guitar :

"By the cheapest,oldest,worst neck,almost fallen apart guitar you can find.When you learn to play on that shit,
you will play on anything,and you will not spend a lot of money....."
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
10.09.2010 - 02:12
Zombie
Thrash'tillDeath
Dude.. i CAN play guitar .. i play kreator, testament, megadeth, death, and morbid angel ... i have a fine electric guitar but its just that i need an acoustic guitar for some stuff i'm recording (ballads and intros ...etc) but i'm a noob in acoustic as i've never played them.. that is why i'm going for an acoustic-electric as they're not miles apart from electrics like acoustic guitars are.. they almost have same neck construction and feel .. with the added bonus that they sound 'acoustic' while i cant get that sound from my electric guitar even with an acoustic simulator pedal.
----

10.09.2010 - 07:58
whatsacow
Just remember too that if you try to play an acoustic like an electric, it will sound shit. you dont have distortion, pinch harmonics, massive bends and dives to rely on, so you have to always be melodic, and keep that in mind when searching for an acoustic.
----
10.09.2010 - 16:58
Zombie
Thrash'tillDeath
Yeah i know.. its just that regular acoustics are bulky as fuck, and their neck is too short.. and the fret spacing is alot wider than electric.. so its VERY difficult to play if you're used to electric guitar ... so, an acoustic-electric would have a slimmer body, longer neck, and smaller frets and would be alot more 'playable' ... also, i'l have to start playing with my fingers rather than a pick.. and i'm looking forward to that as i currently dont know how to do that
----