Disc II [bonus]
01. Dark Reflections [demo]
02. Under The Oak [demo]
03. Into The Unfathomed Tower [demo]
04. Somewhere In Nowhere [demo]
05. A Tale Of Creation [demo]
06. Interview
+ Dark Reflections [video]

Tales Of Creation is the last album the legendary Candlemass released in the 1980s. A concept album concerning the origin of life, this is the record that bassist/principle songwriter Leif Edling began working on even before the band's classic 1986 debut, Epicus Doomicus Metallicus. After ditching the project and recording three highly influential doom classics, Edling and the boys decided to tackle the project once again. This is the last Candlemass release to include the mighty vocals of the renowned Messiah Marcolin until the 2005 self-titled reunion album, thus ending the four-album run most fans refer to as the band's "classic period".

This album is noticeably faster than the group's first three albums, but this is still doom played by the greatest doom band of them all, after all. Little spoken interludes are dispersed throughout the album, but they don't get in the way of what is important: the music. The songs "Dark Reflections", "Somewhere In Nowhere" and "Through The Infinitive Halls Of Death" are all Candlemass classics. Other tunes of note are the rerecorded version of "Under The Oak", which was originally featured on Epicus Doomicus Metallicus, and the extremely bizarre instrumental "Into The Unfathomed Tower". The former features an amazing vocal performance from Marcolin, while the latter is pretty much a speed metal song that somehow doesn't sound too out of place on a doom album. "Tears" and "A Tale Of Creation" boast strong riffs and choruses and have both always been personal favorites of mine. The song "The Edge Of Heaven" showcases Marcolin at his finest and has one of the most memorable riffs on the album. Curiously, Leif Edling has always expressed his significant displeasure of the song and feels it is the weakest on the album, which I simply don't understand at all.

I'll come out and say that I think this album is not quite as good as the three that preceded it, but let me make this clear: Tales Of Creation is an extremely strong release that most doom bands would kill to have created. Candlemass were (and are) just simply that good of a band. After this album Marcolin left the group and Candlemass pretty much submerged in the swamps of the '90s, only to come roaring back in the 2000s to remind the world how doom metal is done. Essential.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 10
Originality: 9
Production: 9

Written by Papa_Ray | 29.08.2010

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 8   Visited by: 99 users
29.08.2010 - 02:04
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
I personally think this is better than Ancient Dreams and an excellent album altogether. The last great Candlemass record.
29.08.2010 - 04:06
Rating: 9
Papa_Ray

Written by Guest on 29.08.2010 at 02:04

I personally think this is better than Ancient Dreams and an excellent album altogether. The last great Candlemass record.

That seems to be the general opinion, but Ancient Dreams has a special place in my heart. In my opinion, there aren't any songs on this album as good as "Mirror Mirror," "Darkness in Paradise," or the mighty "The Bells of Acheron." I will admit that the production job on Ancient Dreams isn't as good as any of the other '80s albums.

As for Tales of Creation being the last great Candlemass album, I must say I was very satisfied with the self-titled album and Death Magic Doom.
29.08.2010 - 05:48
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
This ranks just behind EDM for me - and it was (I'm pretty sure) the first doom metal album I ever listened to (which would have been about 2/3 years ago).
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
29.08.2010 - 11:09
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Papa_Ray on 29.08.2010 at 04:06

As for Tales of Creation being the last great Candlemass album, I must say I was very satisfied with the self-titled album and Death Magic Doom.

I just can't seem to appreciate the newer generation of albums without Messiah. For me Candlemass are no longer epic or doomy :'[
29.08.2010 - 11:32
Daniell
_爱情_
I actually listened to this album the year it was released. I had heard "Ancient Dreams" in 1988 and that was my second Candlemass album. Only after "Tales.." did I hear older releases.
To me, "Epicus Doomicus Metallicus", "Nightfall, "Ancient Dreams" and " Tales of Creation" are 4 equally brilliant albums and I'd have a problem if I were to set them in a specific order.
29.08.2010 - 12:33
Jan

Written by Guest on 29.08.2010 at 11:09

I just can't seem to appreciate the newer generation of albums without Messiah. For me Candlemass are no longer epic or doomy :'[

Your loss. The new one is awesome and equals their classic period in quality IMHO.

Good review - agree this is a great and somewhat overlooked masterpiece. (Better than Ancient Dreams for sure)
29.10.2010 - 17:44
Ag Fox
Angel No More

Having just listened to it for the first time today, I already agree with you.

@papa Ray
thanks for reviewing this. This is my first blind buy and I am very satisfied
----
loves 小巫
23.02.2017 - 00:28
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Btw why Messiah left or was kick out
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing

Hits total: 7793 | This month: 23