08. Set It Off
09. I Want To Fucking Break It
10. Night Terrors
11. Otsego Amigo
12. My Damnation
13. Brainfog

Disc II [X-Rated] [bonus DVD]
Making Of Start A War.

I keep on thinking what happened to Static-X, a band I was fairly interested in back in the late 90s, when they were creating their own brand of somewhat goofy and demented revivalist industrial metal. It seems like the band has decided to strip themselves completely of any traces of originality that they ever had and instead focus on making the most bland and uninspired nu-metal imaginable.

There are very few good things to say about this album so I will get them out of the way in this short paragraph."Otsego Amigo" and "My Damnation" are relatively good songs and although they would be quite unimpressive were they to appear on, say, Machine, they seem fairly acceptable here, mostly due to the laughably poor quality of the remaining tracks. The other semi-interesting moment of this album is the song "Dirthouse", which uses very retro-sounding, early Killing Joke style keyboards to accompany the otherwise boring riffs.

Otherwise, this albums is simply dreadful. I seem to recall Wayne Static having a pretty interesting voice back on Machine and their debut; however, his performance is embarrassing here. The rest of the band is similarly pathetic. Static-X used to use electronica to quite successfully cover up their shortcomings as musicians. They do not do this anymore as the only trace of any kind of intelligent use of electronica is the last track of Start A War, which is an expendable and generic techno track. Being versatile is obviously not something that this band wants to be known for since most of the tracks here are dumb and archaic nu-metal, which would already be considered lackluster in 1998. In 2005, it just seems like a joke, albeit sadly not a very funny one.

Start A War is the worst album I have reviewed so far and it doesn't seem like anything will take its place in the near future. I advise anyone to stay clear of this pile of garbage.

Written on 31.07.2005 by With Metal Storm since 2002, jupitreas has been subjecting the masses to his reviews for quite a while now. He lives in Warsaw, Poland, where he does his best to avoid prosecution for being so cool.

Comments

Comments: 9   Visited by: 127 users
24.08.2006 - 16:45
Baz Anderson

haha a rating of two! hahaha poor thing
after 'Shadow Zone' i started losing interest in Static-X but i did download this album to see what it was like seeing as i used to love the band and their first two albums
i wasnt really impressed with this album but if i listened to it more i could probably get into it - its just there is so much better stuff to listen to now so i just havent bothered
we'll have to see what their next album sounds like
25.08.2006 - 02:41
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
lmao that's the lowest rating I've ever seen...and it totally deserves it!
22.12.2006 - 03:47
Danzig666

I dunno what you are talking about. It is your opinion but a 2! This album gets my blood pumping and makes we want to ram my head through a wall. Excellent workout music or just letting off steam. The enemy, i'm the one, skinnyman, dirthouse, night terrors, my damnation, hell lame lyrics but even just in case....all great songs. But thats just my opinion. I would give this album about an 8.5 if you like this style that is.
----
Open your Mouth to my Bloody Reign!
23.12.2006 - 00:07
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
When I first read this review I said to myself "its that terrible?! I gotta hear it", and after listening to it at a friends house, I must agree 100% with this review.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
27.12.2006 - 08:43
Opium Magnet
Account deleted
Written by Doc G. on 23.12.2006 at 00:07

When I first read this review I said to myself "its that terrible?! I gotta hear it", and after listening to it at a friends house, I must agree 100% with this review.

ROFL, you mean your friend bought this album? I feel sorry for him/her if they did.

Although a 2 still means there was a glimpse of hope at some point upon listening, it must've disappeared somewhere
27.12.2006 - 16:29
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by Guest on 27.12.2006 at 08:43

Written by Doc G. on 23.12.2006 at 00:07

ROFL, you mean your friend bought this album? I feel sorry for him/her if they did.

Although a 2 still means there was a glimpse of hope at some point upon listening, it must've disappeared somewhere

I usually consider any album that doesnt use the word 'g-unit' at least a 2.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
26.08.2008 - 04:59
Rating: 7
DeathMetal

i think im the only one who likes this album
16.06.2009 - 11:34
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
Damn.. horrible album. I miss the pure nu-metal of Shadow Zone, and the catchy originality of the two first albums.

This one, Cannibal and Cult of Static are equally horrible.
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
22.10.2009 - 18:35
Rating: 2
silenius

I actually bought this album, listened to it like 5 times, havnt touched it since. just....plain useless album:P

Hits total: 5787 | This month: 3