Groove / death metal
United States
Voltaic Records

Line-up on the CD:
Gregory Haran IV - vocals
Tony Vorrises - guitar
Brandon Sigmund - bass
Blake Ferris - drums

Hostility definitely picked a good band name, one that accurately describes their sound: hostile. This American post-Pantera/Sepultura worship band creates some easy-to-headbang-to material with unrelenting aggression and infectious groove. There's no experimenting with foreign instruments or introducing soothing elements like pianos or soprano vocals, what we are presented with here is simply unabashed anger.

Set In Stone is the band's follow-up to the critically acclaimed Uncompromised, which featured mixing guru Colin Richardson. This time around the band brought in Juan Urteaga (Testament and Exodus) to engineer and mix the album. Both mixers have dealt with Machine Head in the past, so it's likely that they were brought on board by Brandon Sigmund.

The change from their previous release, though small, is noticeable. There is less purity in regards to the thrash aspect, as the band picked up a more God Dethroned style of shredding, at times even operating in hardcore/nu metal song structure territory, though it is such a limited dosage even Justin Bieber could handle another hit.

Unfortunately the aggression wears thin well before the near-50 minute playback reaches its end. There just isn't enough variation or dynamics brought to the table to keep the listener interested for the entire ride. While Hostility certainly have what it takes to break sound barriers, they will need to mature in the songwriting department for future releases if they ever want to escape the underground and join the likes of the bands they idolize.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 5
Originality: 6
Production: 8

Written on 03.09.2010 by I'm total pro; that's what I'm here for.

Comments

Comments: 3   Visited by: 63 users
03.09.2010 - 19:19
vezzy
Stallmanite
Ah, something to not check out.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
03.09.2010 - 19:26
Ag Fox
Angel No More
>though it is such a limited dosage even Justin Bieber could handle another hit.
lmao
----
loves 小巫
05.09.2010 - 02:06
Edmund Fogg

Not for me.Your review is spot-on accurate.These guys are just using a formula that just has been done too many times before and better
----
You cannot sedate all the things you hate - MM
The Observer is the source of reality - Bloom
God damn it!! What did Diddy didn't do? - Satan

Hits total: 3676 | This month: 2