01. Holocaust Temple
02. A Sacrifice Consumed By Fire
03. Big Bang Black Metal
04. Porcelain Cancer Spear
05. White Dwarf Death Mask
06. Dancing Death Masters
07. Moon Rose Over Sobibor
08. On the Rings Of Saturn Adam And Eve Conceive Cain

Ash Pool's World Turns On Its Hinge was a deliciously vicious punk Black metal album. Throughout their career, Ash Pool have always stayed true to their raw style of Black metal, though hardly any releases by them sound alike.

For Which He Plies The Lash is, besides an incredibly awesome-sounding album title, a strangely 'poppy' raw Black metal album. Yes, you've read that correct. Ash Pool have always had something strangely upbeat about them, due to the punk influences, and they have further developed that on the new album. Opener "Holocaust Temple" is a great example of their new(ish) jumpy, yet utterly raw style. Unfortunately it isn't as diabolically fun as we all know Ash Pool can be.

And to my regret, that basically goes for the entire album. Yes, there are many insane moments present. Allow me to mention a few of the key facets: the piercing shrieks of a psychotic vampire, the mad barks of a hellhound, the frenzied chainsaw riffs, even serene yet deadly clean vocals, all in all creating many, many moments of pure pitch-black nothingness. But, in the end, the album is too uneven and unbalanced to really impress. For every fantastic moment there's a dull section or a less-than-mesmerizing riff.

Still, it's good to know Ash Pool is still alive and kicking. And what's more, the band is trying new things and gradually updating itself. On this particular album the pieces don't really fit together, but who knows, the next one might very well be a nut-cruncher... I know they have what it takes.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 6
Originality: 7
Production: 7

Written on 05.09.2010 by If you're interested in extreme, often emotional and underground music, check out my reviews. I retired from reviewing, but I really used to be into that stuff.

Comments

Comments: 8   Visited by: 103 users
05.09.2010 - 17:14
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Great band for sure, I'll probably still check it out even if they haven't outdone themselves (or hisself rather).

Album title made me think of the 'Lashed To The Slave Stick' Nile song, for pretty obvious reasons I guess.
06.09.2010 - 06:07
Got Mayhem?
That design on the album cover looks very familiar... but I can't remember for the life of me where I've seen it before
----
06.09.2010 - 15:41
Rating: 7
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Got Mayhem? on 06.09.2010 at 06:07

That design on the album cover looks very familiar... but I can't remember for the life of me where I've seen it before

I was reminded of this:
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
06.09.2010 - 16:59
Got Mayhem?
Written by Troy Killjoy on 06.09.2010 at 15:41

Written by Got Mayhem? on 06.09.2010 at 06:07

I was reminded of this:

I actually found what was nagging me.

The Sicilian flag. I guess it was the legs that reminded me of it
----
06.09.2010 - 20:11
Rating: 6
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Elite
Sounds like something I might dig
----
loves 小巫
06.09.2010 - 20:45
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Actually, now that we're on the subject of the cover art anyway, I really like Ash Pool's set of aesthetics. The whole combo of deep, dark space combined with the depictics of mythic symbols (this one), the primal nature of mankind (Saturns Slave) and the robot (World Turns On Its Hinge). All look great.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
30.12.2011 - 22:27
BreadGod
Account deleted
To be honest, I really like this album. May not be his best, but it certainly isn't the piece of shit a lot of people are making it out to be.
31.12.2011 - 03:03
Rating: 7
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Guest on 30.12.2011 at 22:27
To be honest, I really like this album. May not be his best, but it certainly isn't the piece of shit a lot of people are making it out to be.

Agreed. At first I thought there was something apparently wrong with my ears for liking this, and then I decided everyone else has a problem.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."

Hits total: 6300 | This month: 8