07. Not For Love
08. The Fear Of Being Alone
09. My Little Fear
10. Side
11. Dead Heart Serenade
12. No Matter Where You Shoot Me Down
13. All Is Suffering [digipack bonus]
14. Of Words And Rain [digipack bonus]

Well oh well, Lacrimas Profundere is one of those bands that have covered the essence of melancholy in various aspects throughout their 15 year old discography. But what is in the past remains in the past and their early doom/death releases or the later doom/gothic metal ones are no longer present, what followed was more gothic rock oriented compositions and nowadays through a more modern and, dare I say, commercial view. I will try not to fall in the trap of comparing something very different in sound, past and present, and if I do there is the album compared only to their post-2004 era, if my words reach to a comparisson point.

So, the name of their latest effort is The Grandiose Nowhere, the second album with Rob Vitacca on the vocal lines. I will have to admit that I did not see Lacrimas Profundere live just because I consider Christopher Schmid one of the most charismatic vocalists in the whole gothic metal/modern gothic rock scene, yet, despite the fact that I did not see them it does not mean that Rob has a bad voice, on the contrary, he is a gifted young man with attitude and sensation being rotated whenever he sings. And this release helps him stand his ground with Lacrimas Profundere in a better position.

Concerning the compositions now, the band stands united and strong, the production is the ideal one to promote them to the audience and despite the more commercial air there is always the complexity, through their nowadays sound of course, Lacrimas Profundere had since the dawn of their existence. Light electronics blend with gothic rock harmonies with a little heavier distortion on the guitars, whereas the rhythm section lends open its arms to hold the melodies as it should, dynamically or tenderly. The piano-driven and the more atmospheric keyboard passages add the air the songs require to become complete concerning the aura the band wants to let flow, a fragile and melodic one, caressing the vocals the way they ought to. Rob on the vocals gives his best either with his melodic or deeper lines, proving to have been a good choice for the band. Rob, nothing personal concerning Christopher, preferences, preferences.

Standout tracks should be "The Letter", "Lips", "Her Occasion of Sin", "No Matter where you shoot Me down" and "The Fear of being Alone" among other pleasant to the ear songs.

Concluding, this is an album for the later fans of Lacrimas Profundere and/or the adorers of the modern gothic rock scene of Germany, with seeds from Finland, you know who they are. A good album for what it has to offer, the rest is history.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 7
Originality: 6
Production: 9

Written on 07.09.2010 by "It is myself I have never met, whose face is pasted on the underside of my mind."

Comments

Comments: 6   Visited by: 187 users
08.09.2010 - 00:17
Rating: 8
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Elite
Welcome back. Read a lot of your old reviews even though I'm rather new
----
loves 小巫
08.09.2010 - 06:03
Daggon
Underpaid M.D.
Man, it's always good to read some of your reviews, it's been a long time since your last review, but still I think you manage to give us the right impression about the album.
----
"Les vers savent qu'ils n'ont pas d'ailes, c'est pour cela qu'ils se cachent sous terre"
08.09.2010 - 10:49
Rating: 7
BudDa
Elite
Written by Ag Fox on 08.09.2010 at 00:17

+1
----
Freeze! Step away from the hubris.
08.09.2010 - 12:07
KwonVerge
Odysseus
Elite
Thanks guys for the welcome
----
Dec. 30, 1334.

...And the whiskey and wine entered our veins when blood was too weak to carry on.
08.09.2010 - 20:42
Rating: 6
Elyar S.
Gud är Död
Written by BudDa on 08.09.2010 at 10:49

+1

and about Review I have to say that I liked it but I think this album deserves a 6 and not more. An absolute average album which reminds me HIM when it comes to vocals.
----
Kiss my ass if you dont like me, I dont care.
09.09.2010 - 00:39
Bad English
Tage Westerlund

Totaly agree whit it
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing

Hits total: 6318 | This month: 13