Metal Storm logo
Favourite Albums Of 2010

Original post

Posted by , 08.09.2010 - 16:16
Curious to see what are everyone's favourite releases of the year so far (with descriptions please). Still have a few months to go with some very promising upcoming stuff but nowt wrong with keeping a running total.

Some of the very best and most impressive I've heard so far in no order:

Demiurg - Slakthus Gamleby
Bloodbath meets Edge Of Sanity. Old school death metal with a progressive bent; plenty of synths and clean vocals and a pristine production.

TenHornedBeast - Hunts & Wars
Incredible war themed drone and dark ambient from England. Huge, ominous soundscapes of deathly nothingness.

Cathedral - The Guessing Game
In a complete change of pace Cathedral unleash two CD's worth of psychedelic stoner doom that would make a fitting soundtrack to The Wicker Man. A bit of a polarising number.

Winterfylleth - The Mercian Sphere
Continuing the trend of English pagan black metal, the newest release of this band merges a smattering of post-rock and more contemplative atmosphere to create a worthy sophomore record

Yakuza - Of Seismic Consequence
Everyone likes jazz and metal and Yakuza exemplify the sound of smoky jazz bars and harsh hardcore infused metal and the result is a complex and expansive musical journey.

Blut Aus Nord - What Once Was... Liber I
The ever revolving BaN strike again with death-infused primal black metal, all the while maintaining their own unique signature sound. I love BaN.

A Forest Of Stars - Opportunistic Thieves Of Spring
Another impressive follow up to a highly acclaimed album. Very sophisticated and unusual atmospheric black metal characterised by the use of violin in a most effective manner. Just as good as the debut.

Menace Ruine - Union Of Irreconcilables
Mixing neo-folk, drone and noise, Canadians Menace Ruine carve a bit of a niche for themselves in the construction of opposing genres. Not for everyone but interesting if nothing else.

Fear Factory - Mechanize
Possibly their greatest album since Demanufacture? Altogether great song writing and worth hearing for the track Christploitation which could mark the future of the band.

Ramesses - Take The Curse
Comprising ex members of Electric Wizard you'd expect something excellent from this. And excellent it is. Electric Wizard meets Acid Witch: thick black psychedelic sludge with a 70's horror movie theme.

Killing Joke - In Excelsis
Don't really know how I feel about this yet. I like it a lot but the change in sound from the previous albums threw me a little so reserving judgement until the full length

Castevet - Mounds Of Ash
Highly original extreme progressive metal mixing black metal, hardcore and some compelling rhythms make this a firm favourite of mine.

Valborg - Crown Of Sorrow
Haven't listened to this very much yet but I know I like it. Progressive death metal with a variety of other dark nuances thrown in.

Integrity - The Blackest Curse
Extremely angry metalcore, but not metalcore as most people know it. Proper hardcore brutality with a bunch of thrashy numbers and surprisingly complex.

Knut - Wonder
They've toned down the noise since Challenger but the technical prowess on display on this sludgy hardcore record is truly bewildering.

Luasa Raelon - Vampyr: Light Of The Beast
Crap album name, awesome pulsating dark ambient and death industrial from Coldspring.

Robedoor - Burners
One of the ultimate drone/noise monsters get back on form with a concoction of world music spliced with droning feedback. More levels than Tetris.
27.12.2010 - 16:05
King Bonzo

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 27.12.2010 at 15:13

Some people need to read the title of the forum it seems It clearly says "General Metal Forum" so if you want to discuss best non-metal albums please do so in the "General Music Forum"

I'd say Diabolic is heavier than many "metal" bands
27.12.2010 - 16:12
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by King Bonzo on 27.12.2010 at 16:05

Some people need to read the title of the forum it seems It clearly says "General Metal Forum" so if you want to discuss best non-metal albums please do so in the "General Music Forum"

Doesn't make it metal
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

27.12.2010 - 16:52
King Bonzo

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 27.12.2010 at 16:12

Written by King Bonzo on 27.12.2010 at 16:05

Doesn't make it metal

Damnit it you're right! or maybe it is metal but it's so heavy it's back ended on itself and fliped the stratosphere of sound to turn itself into a mega heavy form of non-metal-hip-hop-metallica-sludge-black-thrash!

Most likely not.
27.12.2010 - 18:25
IronAngel

Either way, this topic is here because most of the albums listed are metal. If we put this topic in General Music, we'd be discussing metal in a non-metal forum which would be inaccurate, too. And more importantly, more users frequent this forum. The topic is about the best albums of 2010, and I hope most people have heard and liked other than just metal albums this year. Even the OP lists non-metal albums, like TenHornedBeast. It would be pretty stupid to make two topics for Top 2010.
27.12.2010 - 18:39
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
TenHornedBeast is metal... drone/ambient metal

And no it is not stupid to make two separate topics. Like I said, as moderator and staff, this is the metal forum hence only metal (and borderline metal) albums be mentioned here.
If you want to post a list mixxing metal up with non-metal no problem, open a topic for it in the general music forum
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

27.12.2010 - 21:13
IronAngel

Only on a metal board...

Since my previous list is mostly a breach of forum rules, I'll mention Kvelertak, Rosetta, Enslaved, Year Of No Light, Hooded Menace, Star One, Celeste, Lantlôs and maybe Harvey Milk (though that's borderline illegal) as my heavier favorites of the year.
27.12.2010 - 21:17
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by IronAngel on 27.12.2010 at 21:13

Only on a metal board...

Since my previous list is mostly a breach of forum rules, I'll mention Kvelertak, Rosetta, Enslaved, Year Of No Light, Hooded Menace, Star One, Celeste, Lantlôs and maybe Harvey Milk (though that's borderline illegal) as my heavier favorites of the year.

This is a metal board so better deal with that fact.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

27.12.2010 - 21:24
IronAngel

Oh, I'm dealing with it quite fine and it couldn't be more obvious a fact. I merely find it funny that one would be so worried about purity and order so as to go to inefficent and humorous lengths to seperate discussion into boxes you can conveniently ignore if they might shock you. From my moderator perspective, the purpose of forum categories is to make conversation efficent, easy and interesting for the relevant audience. If you ask yourself whether it's convenient, interesting and efficent to post half your list in one topic and the other in another, and have two topics for pretty much the same subject for no other reason than arbitrary labels, you'll probably see why I'm amused. Gods forbid anyone have to read about music they don't like.
27.12.2010 - 23:57
King Bonzo

Written by IronAngel on 27.12.2010 at 21:24

Oh, I'm dealing with it quite fine and it couldn't be more obvious a fact. I merely find it funny that one would be so worried about purity and order so as to go to inefficent and humorous lengths to seperate discussion into boxes you can conveniently ignore if they might shock you. From my moderator perspective, the purpose of forum categories is to make conversation efficent, easy and interesting for the relevant audience. If you ask yourself whether it's convenient, interesting and efficent to post half your list in one topic and the other in another, and have two topics for pretty much the same subject for no other reason than arbitrary labels, you'll probably see why I'm amused. Gods forbid anyone have to read about music they don't like.

this^
28.12.2010 - 00:04
RavenKing

I'm not saying it in an elitist way and I don't want to dismiss every non-metal kind of music (Am I not the one who said that I would probably better listen to Lady Gaga than Grave Digger not long ago?), but I have always seen discussions about non-metal music on a metal board as irrelevant.
There are better places for that.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
28.12.2010 - 00:07
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by RavenKing on 28.12.2010 at 00:04

I'm not saying it in an elitist way and I don't want to dismiss every non-metal kind of music (Am I not the one who said that I would probably better listen to Lady Gaga than Grave Digger not long ago?), but I have always seen discussions about non-metal music on a metal board as irrelevant.
There are better places for that.

this ^
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

30.12.2010 - 01:33
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
So I try pic up my list from this year now(if I forgot some album probobly I will edd it leither)

I have hear every album what I put, what I ahvnt hear fooly I did not put in the list(even I have hear morse songs from albums, and many many more 2010 songs

1)Mar De Grises - Streams Inwards
2)Heaven Grey - Falling Mist
3)Hooded Priest - Devil Worship Reckoning
4)The Fall Of Every Season - Amends
5)My Silent Wake - IV Et Lux Perpetua
6)Your Shapeless Beauty - Phoinike
7)Ophis - Withered Shades
8)Mirror Of Deception - A Smouldering Fire
9)Frailty - Silence Is Everything...
10)Remembrance - Fall, Obsidian Night
11)Grand Magus - Hammer Of The North
12)Black Land - Extreme Heavy Psych
13)Celestiial - Where Life Springs Eternal
14)Sahg - III
15)Helevorn - From Our Glorious Days

All albums in list is what I have heard , I didnt pu those what I havnt
Avrigus - The Hidden Citadel , The Eternal - Under A New Sun , Place Of Skulls - As A Dog Returns , Evoken's splitt, Electric Wizard - Black Masses , Sorrows Path - The Rough Path Of Nihilism , The Equinox Ov The Gods - The End Of Days , Hooded Priest - Devil Worship Reckoning , Graveyard Dirt - For Grace Or Damnation, Kimaera - Solitary Impact

Heavy:
1)Grave Digger - Clans Will Rise Again
2)Accept - Blood Of The Nations
3)Motörgead - Wörld Is Yours
4)Virgin Steele - The Black Light Bacchanalia
5)Crystal Viper - Legends
6)The Lord Weird Slough Feg -The Animal Sipirit
7)Blaze Bayley - Promises And Terror
8)Black Label Society - Order Of The Black
9)Halford - Halford IV - Made Of Metal
10)Jorn - Dio

Its ptritty much what I can name

Black Metal:
1)Agalloh - Marrow Of The Spirit (well I put it in black)
2)A Forest Of Stars - Opportunistic Thieves Of Spring
3)Skyforger - Kurbads(just put it in to fill space)
4)Alcest - Écailles De Lune
5)Negurã Bunget - Vîrstele Pãmîntului
6)Holy Blood - Shining Sun
7)Drudkh - Slavonic Chronicles
8)Solefald - Norrøn Livskunst
9)Darkthrone - Circle The Wagons
10)Dark Fortress - Ylem

Death metal:
1) Dark Tranquillity - We Are The Void
2)Hail Of Bullets - On Divine Winds
3)Burden Of Grief - Follow The Flames
4)Grave - Burriar Ground
5)Hate - Erebus

Folk metal:
1)King Of Asgard - Fi'mbulvintr
2)Metsatöll - Äio
3)Finntroll - Nifelvind
4)Heathen Foray - Armored Bards
5)Kivimetsän Druidi - Betrayal, Justice, Revenge

Cant tell how sounds Dead Raven Choir - Lonesome Drinking Metal if its black or accustic folk

Gothic:
actualy on,y what I can put here is
Tarja - What Lies Beneath
Dark The Suns - Sleepwalking In A Nightmare

Hard Rock:
1) Ratt - Infestation
2)Danzig - Deth Red Sabaoth
3)Scorpions - Sting In The Tail
4)Airbourne - No Guts, No Glory

Thrash:
1)Détente - Decline
2)Heathen - The Evolution Of Chaos
3)Suicidal Angels - Dead Again
4)Fueled By Fire - Plunging Into Darkness
5)Bonded By Blood - Exiled To Earth

DISAPOINTMENTS:
1)Cathedral
2)Blind Guardian
3)Iron Maiden
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
30.12.2010 - 16:27
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Finalised favourites, no order:

Igorrr - Nostril
TenHornedBeast - Hunts & Wars
Horseback - The Invisible Mountain
The Meads Of Asphodel - The Murder Of Jesus The Jew
Demiurg - Slakthus Gamleby
Valborg - Crown Of Sorrow
Cathedral - The Guessing Game
Castevet - Mounds Of Ash
Electric Wizard - Black Masses
Enslaved - Axioma Ethica Odini
Ion Dissonance - Cursed
Barren Earth - Curse Of The Red River
Ramesses - Take The Curse
Coffinworm - When All Became None
Kylesa - Spiral Shadow
Blut Aus Nord - Liber I
Integrity - The Blackest Curse
Pallbearer - 2010 Demo
Wrath of the Weak - Solace
The Chasms - Index Of Spirits

Not a bad year in all really.

Heh, four of those albums contain the word "curse"

[edit]

Might have to make a couple of late additions with Wrath of the Weak's 'Solace' and The Chasms' 'Index of Spirits' (not to be confused with The Chasm). Droning goodness...
31.12.2010 - 07:57
spirit_inblack
harshhead
Isn't that Horseback album from '09?

For me, my final decision regarding the best metal releases from the year are as follows (in no order):

Dawnbringer - Nucleus
Cough - Ritual Abuse
The Wounded Kings - The Shadow Over Atlantis
Burial Invocation - Rituals of The Grotesque
Locrian - The Crystal World
Slough Feg - The Animal Spirits
Grave Miasma - Realm of Evoked Doom
Weapon - From The Devil's Tomb
Vegas Martyrs - Vancouver Missing Women
Castevet - Mounds Of Ash
Agalloch - Marrow of the Spirit
Christian Mistress - Agony & Opium
Petrychor - Dryad
Bongripper - Satan Worshipping Doom
31.12.2010 - 14:11
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by spirit_inblack on 31.12.2010 at 07:57

Well the vinyl was released in the UK under a difference lable this year, and I've seen it appear on a few official 2010 lists so I ain't gonna complain =P
31.12.2010 - 14:17
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Guest on 31.12.2010 at 14:11

Well the vinyl was released in the UK under a difference lable this year, and I've seen it appear on a few official 2010 lists so I ain't gonna complain =P

Horseback - Invisible Mountain was released August 3 2010 by Relapse
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

31.12.2010 - 14:19
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 31.12.2010 at 14:17

Written by Guest on 31.12.2010 at 14:11

Horseback - Invisible Mountain was released August 3 2010 by Relapse

It was also released by Utech Records in '09 too apparently.
03.01.2011 - 22:40
mz

I'm not in the mood for writhing so long so I simply say agaloch:marrow of spirt
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
19.01.2011 - 18:00
PrimalAntagonist
Account deleted
SALOME - TERMINAL
21.01.2011 - 09:22
JCJen7

Just got around to listening to Accept's "Blood of the Nation" fuck it is great. Probably not my favorite, but I wouldn't want to listen to anything else over it right now, and isn't that all these lists really are?
----
This is my sig, respect it. Please.

CHECK THESE OUT