‹‹ Back to the General music forum Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 [15]
Users visited: 440  
Search this topic:  

The original post

Posted by tuerda on 25.08.2006 at 05:26
So yeah, I'm sure this happens to a lot of people. There is some band that you shouldn't like. There is something wrong with it. You might even think that it's bad . . . But you love it! You nod along to the music and can't help but sing along if you know the lyrics. You love it, and you hate the fact that you love it. So yeah, does this happen to anyone else, and if so, with what bands?

For me, the most obvious one is Rhapsody. They are really really cheesy, and all of their songs sound more or less the same to me. I feel it is all charged with vacuous optimism, and the lyrics are terrible. But yes, I like them. Please don't tell anyone.

Also, I like Bal Sagoth. They are pretty much the cheesiest band on earth, and it is precisely the cheesiness that makes me love them so. The "dark" vocals are anything but creepy and all of the "symphonics" sound fake. It's so bad that it's good!

There are some Emperor songs that I like. I have moral issues with liking Emperor. The black metal act is sometimes interesting, and often funny as hell. I approve of it . . . but only so long as it is an act. Church burning is not cool. Neither is killing people.

Page 15 of 15

Jaeryd17‍
Desert Mouse

07.09.2012 at 10:21
I pretty much got into metal because of stuff like Disturbed or Korn, and that's what I'm kind of ashamed of. Korn just plain sucks, and I can't stand to listen to them anymore. Disturbed is still okay, and I still enjoy all their songs (except for half of the Asylum album... while it was their most creative album it was also sung and played like shit). I know nearly every single word to all their tracks, and I even know all their bonus tracks. Disturbed is really not that bad, but then again compared to the music I've been getting into recently, they're not that good either.

I used to listen to Linkin Park when their first CD just barely came out. My friend had it and we listened to the whole album over and over again while we hung out, until we had it memorized. I haven't listened to much of their new stuff... it's okay, I guess. But it's too generic, commercial, too simple. It's still cool enough to listen to, a little catchy, but superficial in a number of ways that just puts me off to them.

I've enjoyed the very few Slipknot songs I've heard. Still don't really like them much, for the same reason that I don't like Linkin Park. It's too much like everything else out there that's popular nowadays. Too much of the same. All style with those masks, but no substance. Too shallow and forced, like they're just trying to make you buy into their stuff with their "quirky" masks. I'm not sure I can judge, since I've heard probably only 5 or 6 songs from them, but that's my first impression.

I'm almost ashamed to like System of a Down, but they're so goddamn weird it's interesting. Plus, if you delve deep enough into the seemingly random lyrics, you get some deep commentaries about the problems with politics, society, human behavior, drug addiction, corporate greed, organized religion, spirituality, etc. Pretty good stuff, actually, So I can still say that I like them without feeling too dumb about it.

Also, my wife likes a bunch of stuff like La Roux, Fever Ray, Florence and the Machine, Frou Frou, Imogen Heap, and honestly I don't mind it too much. Frou Frou/Imogen Heap is a little too pretty for metalheads, but it still has soul and passion, and I think that's what I like most in music, no matter what genre.
----
"It is not your sin—it is your self-satisfaction that crieth unto heaven; your very sparingness in sin crieth unto heaven!

Where is the lightning to lick you with its tongue? Where is the frenzy with which ye should be inoculated?"

Jaeryd17‍
Desert Mouse

07.09.2012 at 10:31
Written by Boxcar Willy on 15.07.2012 at 17:29

Written by arwestromen on 28.05.2012 at 17:45

Black Veil Brides There I said It

This response was epic.
----
"It is not your sin—it is your self-satisfaction that crieth unto heaven; your very sparingness in sin crieth unto heaven!

Where is the lightning to lick you with its tongue? Where is the frenzy with which ye should be inoculated?"

Azarath

12.11.2012 at 20:34
I'm never ashamed of music I like.

And I like Taylor Swift.
Dentura
Shadow King

06.12.2012 at 09:37
I like a few songs from Red Jumpsuit Apparatus, My Chemical Romance, 30 Seconds to Mars, and Rise Against (i hate everything else by them, except for a few songs).
----
...And so death to the falsity of thy former rulers. Thy kingdom of "heaven" burns in a field of fire, and Dentura is the one true God thou must yield thy hearts and souls to in absolute submission. It is his ultimate decree and will unto thee..
Uldreth

06.12.2012 at 13:34
There is absolutely N-O-T-H-I-N-G wrong with Rise Against.
----
Written by Troy Killjoy on 25.12.2011 at 07:06

And then of course there's Asking Alexandria... For the record, nobody ever asked Alexandria anything ever again.

-Troy on trancecore
Azarath

11.12.2012 at 02:38
Written by Guest on 06.12.2012 at 21:31

Written by Azarath on 12.11.2012 at 20:34

And I like Taylor Swift.

isn't her subject matter out of touch for someone 100+ yrs :-P

Well... apparently not.
Jaeryd17‍
Desert Mouse

20.12.2012 at 07:50
Written by Azarath on 11.12.2012 at 02:38

Written by Guest on 06.12.2012 at 21:31

Written by Azarath on 12.11.2012 at 20:34

And I like Taylor Swift.

isn't her subject matter out of touch for someone 100+ yrs :-P

Well... apparently not.

Musically she doesn't offend my ears, but I recently found out that she was twenty-four years old. This came as a bit of a surprise to me, as I thought she was only seventeen. This whole time, I had been convinced by the subject matter of her lyrics that she couldn't be older than a girl in High school. I guess I was completely wrong.

Also, Romeo and Juliet was not a romance story. It was a tragedy about two people doing stupid things for love, which ended up screwing over both families and getting them both killed. There is no happy ending. Taylor Swift's song doesn't make any sense.
----

Torelli

20.12.2012 at 18:52
Too many things to mention, haha! Latley I have been listening alot to Maria Mena for example
Azarath

31.12.2012 at 08:51
Written by Jaeryd17‍ on 20.12.2012 at 07:50

Musically she doesn't offend my ears, but I recently found out that she was twenty-four years old. This came as a bit of a surprise to me, as I thought she was only seventeen. This whole time, I had been convinced by the subject matter of her lyrics that she couldn't be older than a girl in High school. I guess I was completely wrong.

Also, Romeo and Juliet was not a romance story. It was a tragedy about two people doing stupid things for love, which ended up screwing over both families and getting them both killed. There is no happy ending. Taylor Swift's song doesn't make any sense.

As far as I know Swift is in her early 20's but you made me want to look it up, and apparently she turned 23 a couple of weeks ago. As to her subject matter... she does tend to focus on love and (various kinds of, not necessarily romantic) relationships. I don't see why anyone would have a problem with that. Aren't those pretty much the most universal lyrical themes in existence?

Sure it does. It basically goes like this: she was interested in someone that her family and friends didn't approve of. She saw the similarities between her situation and Romeo and Juliet, used the story as a jumping-off point for a song lyric... and then wrote the ending she wanted. Love Story is not a musical retelling of the play, it's taking the archetype of the star-crossed lovers and turning it on its head.
Jpageforever

14.03.2013 at 18:55
...AFI...
Rhiannon

29.03.2013 at 10:33
Too many of them lol. I tend to like some Top 40 shit like Rihanna, Katy Perry, Lady Gaga, etc. I used to follow MTV, but since it turned to a reality channel I stopped. Nowadays I'm not really up to date with pop.

Among metal bands, I'm ashamed to like Dimmu Borgir. They are cheesy as hell, with ridiculous videos and costumes, but I can't help liking it.
Even more ashamed that I like some songs from HB. It's a Finnish Christian metal band, with ridiculous, worshipping lyrics, but their music is not bad, very similar to Nightwish.
Sinnercist

29.03.2013 at 22:23
Ovary Rule: If you have them, you're allowed to like all the "embarrassing" music you want

But then again... I was just listening to Latvian Reggae..
----
From YOLO to LOLOL. You're welcome.
feichacha

02.04.2013 at 09:57
I'm ashamed by myself because my boyfriend like hiphop
matthewlwry@gmail.co

08.04.2013 at 00:35
There's nothing wrong with hiphop as a genre, it has some really great music. Has some terrible music too, but then so does metal. Plus it's pretty arrogant of you to be ashamed of somebody else's music tastes...
Boxcar Willy
*sigh*

08.04.2013 at 06:14
Yeah, there's a lot of good shit out there. But I'll let ma brotha Biggie settle this one.

----
forever bummed out
Swordbearer

08.04.2013 at 17:42
I love ABBA. With a passion. Can't get better than Super Trouper.
----
Druantia | Folk metal
R Lewis
That Useless Guy

09.04.2013 at 16:08
Uhm... Green Day, Sum 41, Offspring, Ska-P, 30 Seconds to Mars, Three Days Grace.
----
We could be so much more than we are. Stop.
Nosurper
Stinky Lips

11.04.2013 at 08:02
The only possible thing that could render me ashamed of expression through music would be to like bands that are overtly aggressive and violent, such as bands with murderous members. But I can't really think of any bands that fall into that niche that I enjoy.
----
Aseliot

01.06.2013 at 20:58
Kinda like lilly allen, and i was going to say dimmu borgir. I can't listen all day to the pop stuff though i just get sad for some reason lol.
----
Anál nathrach,
orth' bháis's bethad,
do chél dénmha
*NorthernLights*

19.06.2013 at 01:38
Poison. Oh, and Aqua.
----
And I shall not be dark but beautiful and terrible as the Morning and the Night! Fair as the Sea and the Sun and the Snow upon the Mountain! Dreadful as the Storm and the Lightning! Stronger than the foundations of the earth. All shall love me and despair
*NorthernLights*

19.06.2013 at 01:39
Written by Swordbearer on 08.04.2013 at 17:42

I love ABBA. With a passion. Can't get better than Super Trouper.

I love ABBA! I listened to them a LOT growing up, my grandmother was a huge fan of theirs.
----
And I shall not be dark but beautiful and terrible as the Morning and the Night! Fair as the Sea and the Sun and the Snow upon the Mountain! Dreadful as the Storm and the Lightning! Stronger than the foundations of the earth. All shall love me and despair

Advertise on Metal Storm
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 [15]

Login or register to post here.