Metal Storm logo
Bands you like, but are ashamed of it

Original post

Posted by tuerda, 25.08.2006 - 05:26
So yeah, I'm sure this happens to a lot of people. There is some band that you shouldn't like. There is something wrong with it. You might even think that it's bad . . . But you love it! You nod along to the music and can't help but sing along if you know the lyrics. You love it, and you hate the fact that you love it. So yeah, does this happen to anyone else, and if so, with what bands?

For me, the most obvious one is Rhapsody. They are really really cheesy, and all of their songs sound more or less the same to me. I feel it is all charged with vacuous optimism, and the lyrics are terrible. But yes, I like them. Please don't tell anyone.

Also, I like Bal Sagoth. They are pretty much the cheesiest band on earth, and it is precisely the cheesiness that makes me love them so. The "dark" vocals are anything but creepy and all of the "symphonics" sound fake. It's so bad that it's good!

There are some Emperor songs that I like. I have moral issues with liking Emperor. The black metal act is sometimes interesting, and often funny as hell. I approve of it . . . but only so long as it is an act. Church burning is not cool. Neither is killing people.
12.11.2012 - 20:34
Azarath
Free as a.. Fish
I'm never ashamed of music I like.

And I like Taylor Swift.
06.12.2012 - 09:37
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
I like a few songs from Red Jumpsuit Apparatus, My Chemical Romance, 30 Seconds to Mars, and Rise Against (i hate everything else by them, except for a few songs).
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
06.12.2012 - 13:34
Uldreth

There is absolutely N-O-T-H-I-N-G wrong with Rise Against.
11.12.2012 - 02:38
Azarath
Free as a.. Fish
Written by Guest on 06.12.2012 at 21:31

Written by Azarath on 12.11.2012 at 20:34

And I like Taylor Swift.

isn't her subject matter out of touch for someone 100+ yrs :-P

Well... apparently not.
20.12.2012 - 07:50
Jaeryd
Nihil's Maw
Written by Azarath on 11.12.2012 at 02:38

Written by Guest on 06.12.2012 at 21:31

Written by Azarath on 12.11.2012 at 20:34

And I like Taylor Swift.

isn't her subject matter out of touch for someone 100+ yrs :-P

Well... apparently not.

Musically she doesn't offend my ears, but I recently found out that she was twenty-four years old. This came as a bit of a surprise to me, as I thought she was only seventeen. This whole time, I had been convinced by the subject matter of her lyrics that she couldn't be older than a girl in High school. I guess I was completely wrong.

Also, Romeo and Juliet was not a romance story. It was a tragedy about two people doing stupid things for love, which ended up screwing over both families and getting them both killed. There is no happy ending. Taylor Swift's song doesn't make any sense.
----
20.12.2012 - 18:52
Torelli

Too many things to mention, haha! Latley I have been listening alot to Maria Mena for example
31.12.2012 - 08:51
Azarath
Free as a.. Fish
Written by Jaeryd on 20.12.2012 at 07:50

Musically she doesn't offend my ears, but I recently found out that she was twenty-four years old. This came as a bit of a surprise to me, as I thought she was only seventeen. This whole time, I had been convinced by the subject matter of her lyrics that she couldn't be older than a girl in High school. I guess I was completely wrong.

Also, Romeo and Juliet was not a romance story. It was a tragedy about two people doing stupid things for love, which ended up screwing over both families and getting them both killed. There is no happy ending. Taylor Swift's song doesn't make any sense.

As far as I know Swift is in her early 20's but you made me want to look it up, and apparently she turned 23 a couple of weeks ago. As to her subject matter... she does tend to focus on love and (various kinds of, not necessarily romantic) relationships. I don't see why anyone would have a problem with that. Aren't those pretty much the most universal lyrical themes in existence?

Sure it does. It basically goes like this: she was interested in someone that her family and friends didn't approve of. She saw the similarities between her situation and Romeo and Juliet, used the story as a jumping-off point for a song lyric... and then wrote the ending she wanted. Love Story is not a musical retelling of the play, it's taking the archetype of the star-crossed lovers and turning it on its head.
14.03.2013 - 18:55
Jpageforever

...AFI...
29.03.2013 - 10:33
Rhiannon
Account deleted
Too many of them lol. I tend to like some Top 40 shit like Rihanna, Katy Perry, Lady Gaga, etc. I used to follow MTV, but since it turned to a reality channel I stopped. Nowadays I'm not really up to date with pop.

Among metal bands, I'm ashamed to like Dimmu Borgir. They are cheesy as hell, with ridiculous videos and costumes, but I can't help liking it.
Even more ashamed that I like some songs from HB. It's a Finnish Christian metal band, with ridiculous, worshipping lyrics, but their music is not bad, very similar to Nightwish.
29.03.2013 - 22:23
Sinnercist

Ovary Rule: If you have them, you're allowed to like all the "embarrassing" music you want

But then again... I was just listening to Latvian Reggae..
----
From YOLO to LOLOL. You're welcome.
02.04.2013 - 09:57
feichacha

I'm ashamed by myself because my boyfriend like hiphop
08.04.2013 - 00:35
matthewlwry@gmail.co

There's nothing wrong with hiphop as a genre, it has some really great music. Has some terrible music too, but then so does metal. Plus it's pretty arrogant of you to be ashamed of somebody else's music tastes...
08.04.2013 - 06:14
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Yeah, there's a lot of good shit out there. But I'll let ma brotha Biggie settle this one.

----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
08.04.2013 - 17:42
Hellbrann

I love ABBA. With a passion. Can't get better than Super Trouper.
----
Druantia | Folk metal
09.04.2013 - 16:08
R Lewis

Uhm... Green Day, Sum 41, Offspring, Ska-P, 30 Seconds to Mars, Three Days Grace.
----
We could be so much more than we are. Stop.
11.04.2013 - 08:02
Nosurper
Stinky Lips
The only possible thing that could render me ashamed of expression through music would be to like bands that are overtly aggressive and violent, such as bands with murderous members. But I can't really think of any bands that fall into that niche that I enjoy.
----
01.06.2013 - 20:58
Aseliot

Kinda like lilly allen, and i was going to say dimmu borgir. I can't listen all day to the pop stuff though i just get sad for some reason lol.
----
Anál nathrach,
orth' bháis's bethad,
do chél dénmha
19.06.2013 - 01:38
*NorthernLights*

Poison. Oh, and Aqua.
----
And I shall not be dark but beautiful and terrible as the Morning and the Night! Fair as the Sea and the Sun and the Snow upon the Mountain! Dreadful as the Storm and the Lightning! Stronger than the foundations of the earth. All shall love me and despair
19.06.2013 - 01:39
*NorthernLights*

Written by Hellbrann on 08.04.2013 at 17:42

I love ABBA. With a passion. Can't get better than Super Trouper.

I love ABBA! I listened to them a LOT growing up, my grandmother was a huge fan of theirs.
----
And I shall not be dark but beautiful and terrible as the Morning and the Night! Fair as the Sea and the Sun and the Snow upon the Mountain! Dreadful as the Storm and the Lightning! Stronger than the foundations of the earth. All shall love me and despair
14.07.2016 - 18:26
Enteroctopus

Written by *NorthernLights* on 19.06.2013 at 01:38

Poison. Oh, and Aqua.

I got into Poison when I was five and didn't know any better. Still kinda like them for that reason. Was the heaviest thing I knew about in Kindergarten!
16.07.2016 - 00:42
Overrwatcher

Attila. Yes, the party deathcore band. Instrumentally they're actually surprisingly good, and Fronz is a great vocalist.

It's just their lyrics and songwriting suck. But to me that adds to the appeal. The sheer ridiculousness of the band and their lines like "Listen up - you can do anything you want In life, just don't be a fucking bitch", "I had diamonds but I threw them away cause I don't give a fuck, suck my fuck", or "If you hate gay people you should get your ass beat, you're a close minded faggot bitch kiss my feet" are just so ridiculous that I can't stop laughing when I hear them. "Suck my fuck" has ironically become part of my vocabulary as well.
----
Overr's List Of Worthwhile Deathcore Albums

Written by Dr. Strawberry on 12.06.2016 at 19:43

Overwatcher, MS Xena, crumbled him in no time. MS needs you to kill the boredom in here.
01.09.2016 - 23:20
Metren
Dreadrealm
So... anyway... I kind of, sort of... like Sugababes.
----
My one-man project's Bandcamp with free downloads: https://dreadrealm.bandcamp.com/