Metal Storm logo
Bands you like, but are ashamed of it

Original post

Posted by tuerda, 25.08.2006 - 05:26
So yeah, I'm sure this happens to a lot of people. There is some band that you shouldn't like. There is something wrong with it. You might even think that it's bad . . . But you love it! You nod along to the music and can't help but sing along if you know the lyrics. You love it, and you hate the fact that you love it. So yeah, does this happen to anyone else, and if so, with what bands?

For me, the most obvious one is Rhapsody. They are really really cheesy, and all of their songs sound more or less the same to me. I feel it is all charged with vacuous optimism, and the lyrics are terrible. But yes, I like them. Please don't tell anyone.

Also, I like Bal Sagoth. They are pretty much the cheesiest band on earth, and it is precisely the cheesiness that makes me love them so. The "dark" vocals are anything but creepy and all of the "symphonics" sound fake. It's so bad that it's good!

There are some Emperor songs that I like. I have moral issues with liking Emperor. The black metal act is sometimes interesting, and often funny as hell. I approve of it . . . but only so long as it is an act. Church burning is not cool. Neither is killing people.
25.02.2009 - 03:29
Warman
Erotic Stains
Written by Dark Blood on 24.10.2008 at 06:54

When I was a kid, I liked Spice Girls

Hehe, same here. When I was around seven years old. In my defence I also listened to Kiss, Judas Priest, Guns n' Roses, Queen, AC/DC and Aerosmith at that age too!
----
28.02.2009 - 01:27
Talvi

If you like a band, you shouldn't be ashamed of it, despite of what it is.

And we all liked shit when we were childs
----
My account on other musical pages:
http://www.last.fm/user/Pozito/
http://rateyourmusic.com/~Talvi
28.02.2009 - 16:54
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Temnozor, Nokturnal Mortum and Kroda...i like the music they do, very nice pagan black metal, but hell, i am still hesitating if i really should listen to bands who proudly claimed NS ideas in civil life...
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

04.03.2009 - 16:56
AiwiAstwihad
AiryanaKhvarenah
Slipknot, Disturbed, Mudvayne.
Not that i'm ashamed of them, They just aren't my type anymore. They used to be my all time favorite some years ago but currently i seldom (if ever) listen to 'em. in fact i have to thank those bands as i started metal with Nu-Metal.
----
You who will come to the surface
From the flood that's overwhelmed us and drowned us all
Must think, when you speak of our weakness in times of darkness
That you've not had to face
18.03.2009 - 18:04
Genghis Kal
Account deleted
I recently got into Dimmu Borgir, one band who I thought I would always hate because I used to only listen to raw/true/kult BM. Then I grew up. I couldn't give a fuck if they're commercial, I like the music.
03.05.2009 - 12:51
Solitary Dancer

Apoptygma berzerk

couple of good songs, which bring back the memories.....oh yeah.....not usually my type of music
04.05.2009 - 18:11
TheOwl

I like to listen to some R n B when I have sex sometimes! No idea about bands etc but it gets me kind of high for good sex
06.03.2010 - 04:08
Xim
Rocker of Worlds
"Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me" by U2 is a very enjoyable song for me. It's the only song by U2 that I like though. Oh yeah and I like Green Day, but only early Green Day but I'll admit I did listen to the American Idiot album a lot for quite a bit, but the songs got kind of annoying after awhile.
09.03.2010 - 02:58
Mushieknot

......Limp Bizkit......lyrics so bad.....but everything else is cool...
Sometimes Thousand Foot Krutch too, they have some bad lyrics at some points
----
Yea, I do like Nu Metal.
09.03.2010 - 18:05
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
I listen t the offspring and ac/dc alot but im not really ashamed of it... why should i be?
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
09.03.2010 - 21:46
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Written by Boxcar Willy on 09.03.2010 at 18:05

I listen t the offspring and ac/dc alot but im not really ashamed of it... why should i be?

yes, i also wonder, why you should be afraid of listening to those bands
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

14.03.2010 - 03:44
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Written by Solitary Dancer on 03.05.2009 at 12:51

Apoptygma berzerk

I like NOFX's cover of Electricity
28.03.2010 - 22:59
Don Martin
le fu-
I like Cypress Hill and Beastie Boys alot, so what?

Edit, I also like Boney M.
----
What a tackastrophe!
02.05.2010 - 11:21
Entropic Silence

I listen to, and enjoy:

Queen, Elton John, Billy Joel, Fleetwood Mac, Killswitch Engage, Bee Gees, The Darkness (Hell yes they're awesome, though the latest one is shit), or bands like Yellowcard or Evanescence. I even enjoy Linkin Park when I'm in the right mood. Used to love Children of Bodom, especially the covers. Don't mind a little bit of Korn.

I am NOT ashamed at all.

But I lie awake at night wondering why I listen to Nickelback...
----
VICTORY!!!!! (They love it in France)
02.05.2010 - 16:32
Kennoth

Evanescence used to be my favorite band back in the old days, so I still turn on a couple of songs here and there, and I'm not really ashamed.
Linkin Park has some catchy songs, but they're pretty mild, so I listen only to a few stuff.

Afroman - Because I Got High is one of the most nonsense, yet very enjoyable songs on my playlist
One of my first (if not the) favorite artists is Eminem, I think I was like 12, 13, but I still enjoy some of his older stuff, he's basically the only hip hop artist I have great respect for.

Weird Al Yankovic - You can't deny that man's genius! Often the parody of the song he makes gets much much better than the original (say Amish Paradise/Gangsta Paradise). I even enjoyed one of his polka xD
----
*insert something deep and profound*
02.05.2010 - 19:08
JohnDoe
Account deleted
Written by Entropic Silence on 02.05.2010 at 11:21

I listen to, and enjoy:

Queen, Elton John, Billy Joel, Fleetwood Mac, Killswitch Engage, Bee Gees, The Darkness (Hell yes they're awesome, though the latest one is shit), or bands like Yellowcard or Evanescence. I even enjoy Linkin Park when I'm in the right mood. Used to love Children of Bodom, especially the covers. Don't mind a little bit of Korn.

I am NOT ashamed at all.

why did you add Queen to your list? why should anyone be ashamed of liking Queen? Even their poppy stuff is great.
02.05.2010 - 22:36
I_Die_Often

Elton John - Only the really old shit. I liked his music until it became as gay as he is! Goodbye Yellow Brick Road is still a favorite.
Cheap Trick - I've mentioned them many times on MS, love the band.
70's Funk! - You know, songs like Brick House, Funkytown, Superfreak! Fun stuff!
----
Old enough to be your Daddy... speaking of which... you look familiar... do I know your mother???
02.05.2010 - 23:23
Entropic Silence

Written by Guest on 02.05.2010 at 19:08

why did you add Queen to your list? why should anyone be ashamed of liking Queen? Even their poppy stuff is great.

Queen are amazing. Check previous posts - some people are ashamed.
----
VICTORY!!!!! (They love it in France)
02.05.2010 - 23:52
JohnDoe
Account deleted
Written by Entropic Silence on 02.05.2010 at 23:23

as i was saying, it's ridiculous IMO, even their most easy listening pop works are great, even their least popular album Hot Space from 1982 has some great moments. Why are people ashamed, i don't get it...
03.05.2010 - 02:16
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Written by Guest on 02.05.2010 at 23:52

Written by Entropic Silence on 02.05.2010 at 23:23

as i was saying, it's ridiculous IMO, even their most easy listening pop works are great, even their least popular album Hot Space from 1982 has some great moments. Why are people ashamed, i don't get it...

There is absolutely nothing wrong with Queen... anyone who says otherwise should be ashamed.
03.05.2010 - 02:36
whatsacow

Written by Guest on 18.03.2009 at 18:04

I recently got into Dimmu Borgir, one band who I thought I would always hate because I used to only listen to raw/true/kult BM. Then I grew up. I couldn't give a fuck if they're commercial, I like the music.

i agree. who cares if a band is commercial or not? who cares if other people like the band or not. If a band acheives mainstreamness, it doesnt always mean theyre bad, it just means that for once the majority has developed some taste. for example, i like nirvana and foo fighters, and i couldnt care less what anyone thinks of me. I even like lisa mitchell, and sarah blasko and bands/singers like that. honestly, your taste is your own, no one elses. let no one else dictate it.
----
When God made up the golden rule, do you think he noticed that it condones rape?
03.05.2010 - 18:41
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
I like the song "Suddenly I see" By KT Tunstall.

I have no idea why... It's so sweet, cheesy and fruity but I love it for some reason. It's very catchy and makes me feel calm.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
03.05.2010 - 19:56
I_Die_Often

Written by X-Ray Rod on 03.05.2010 at 18:41

It's very catchy and makes me feel calm.

that's how I feel about Dying Fetus!!!
----
Old enough to be your Daddy... speaking of which... you look familiar... do I know your mother???
05.05.2010 - 05:18
skullkill

Stolen Babies its just out of place with my collection but i just really in joy them
06.05.2010 - 20:14
FreezingMoon

Never be ashamed of anything you listen to. Why are people so scared of diversity?
13.05.2010 - 21:38
Edmund Fogg

When I have friends over and my music player is on Random,there is always an odd Aqua song that pops out and everybody just stops talking.I know my friends don't judge me only on musical taste however these are akward and funny moments
----
You cannot sedate all the things you hate - MM
The Observer is the source of reality - Bloom
God damn it!! What did Diddy didn't do? - Satan
30.05.2010 - 20:23
vezzy
Stallmanite
I like Boney M., Daft Punk and The Prodigy... I'm not that ashamed though.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
31.05.2010 - 18:34
Ragana
Rawrcat
Written by FreezingMoon on 06.05.2010 at 20:14

Never be ashamed of anything you listen to. Why are people so scared of diversity?

+1

I don't give a shit what others say about me listening to something they don't like. As far as I like it, everything is okay. So, no, there's nothing I'd be ashamed of listening to.
01.06.2010 - 02:47
whatsacow

Written by AiwiAstwihad on 04.03.2009 at 16:56

Slipknot, Disturbed, Mudvayne.
Not that i'm ashamed of them, They just aren't my type anymore. They used to be my all time favorite some years ago but currently i seldom (if ever) listen to 'em. in fact i have to thank those bands as i started metal with Nu-Metal.

Same, i think nu metal is one of those phases you go through when you're like 13, 14, then you kind of grow out of. Because i was massively into all those bands, like papa roach, disturbed, slipknot, but now i just cant bring myself to listen to them.

P.S. i love the beatsie boys, hilltop hoods, sarah blasko, the killers, nirvana, angus and julia stone, the white stripes (and any other jack white project), john butler trio, lisa mitchell and many many other bands that metal fans may find crap. And i don't give a flying fuck.
----
When God made up the golden rule, do you think he noticed that it condones rape?
23.07.2010 - 03:51
Lit. Metalhead
Account deleted
When I was a kid, I used to like N'sync, Backstreet Boys and Aaron Carter. My cousins (Who were typical valley girls) introduced them to me, and I liked them for a good percentage of my childhood. When I discovered AC/DC and Black Sabbath, I just dove head first into the world of Metal and they dropped off the map.

I like Creed and Gorillaz, but I'm not ashamed to like them.