09. Regain The Fire
10. One For Sorrow
11. Weather The Storm [Special Edition bonus] [Japanese bonus]
12. Beyond The Horizon [Japanese bonus]

Top 20 albums of 2011: 8

Staff review by
Dream Taster
Rating:
If I were to ask you what makes a great Metal band, the answer should be pretty much the same across the board: great albums. In truth, a series of great albums that follow the same structure yet manage to be different enough to be individual works while being similar enough to create a unique trademark sound. Do you see now how fine of a margin bands have to operate? Finland's Insomnium have established themselves as a juggernaut of Gothenburg Metal with a trilogy of sublime releases 2002's In The Halls Of Awaiting, 2004's Since The Day It All Came Down & 2006's Above The Weeping World. Then they managed to cleverly modernize their sound with 2009's Across The Dark. With a growing fan base and so many solid works behind them, their new release One For Sorrow has been one of the most anticipated albums of the year, and for good reasons.

Read more ››
published 01.11.2011 | Comments (28)

Guest review by
Risto
Rating:
One For Sorrow: the old children's nursery rhyme about counting up to ten birds in a tree. Makes sense for an Insomnium album to be inspired by it; after all, they've had these birds flying around in their album art for a while. Their fifth full-length respectively adapts to the rhyme with ten tracks of fairly varied Gothenburg metal in that trademark Insomnium sound.

Read more ››
published 03.12.2011 | Comments (4)

Found in 87 lists
Top lists

Comments page 3 / 8

Comments: 223   Visited by: 2150 users
14.10.2011 - 10:42
DaUndataka
Account deleted
Written by Troy Killjoy on 14.10.2011 at 10:27

Written by Guest on 14.10.2011 at 10:21
Good point.

That being said, fuck the votes and just enjoy the music. If people wanna dole out 1s and 10s because the album charts hurt their feelings, you'd only be stooping to that level of weakness by caring about their voting patterns.
I gave this a 10. The only track I consider weak is "lay the ghost to rest" but I don't skip it. To me this album blends ATWW with ATD and it just works for me. Lyrics are top-notch, I love poetic thoughtful lyrics and for me Insomnium hits home. IDk, I need to step away from it for awhile and I'll decide if it's still a 10- more likely a 9 but not below an 8. I'm thinking I need to spin Omnivium a few more times. Sadly I've only listened to it twice and I liked it. (I know, I'm behind- but New World Shadows I've listened to an easy 100 times so far) I still don't see the 10 for "one for sorrow" changing. Like I said, maybe a 9.
14.10.2011 - 10:48
Rating: 8
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Guest on 14.10.2011 at 10:42
Like I said, maybe a 9.

Hey that's fair man, I wasn't targeting you for your rating. I was just saying that worrying about what other people think is a waste of time. Time you could be spending listening to Omnivium for instance.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
14.10.2011 - 15:08
Rating: 10
Constantine

Insomnium with this album gives a term "epic compositions" some actual base ground. Every song has an idea and the whole album is beautifully liquid in terms of listening. If I should pick the favourite song for me atm, it would be Only One Who Waits. Last track One For Sorrow sweetly gradates and is the epic conclucion of the whole album. Lyrics are again ... well yeah I think you know.
14.10.2011 - 21:17
Zap
Written by Troy Killjoy on 14.10.2011 at 10:14

If you're active in the forums it becomes painfully obvious that metalheads are in no way different from the masses of [insert non-metal genre here] fans.

I don't like to admit it, but what you said is true...
14.10.2011 - 23:04
Rating: 7
Opethian

Written by Troy Killjoy on 13.10.2011 at 22:19

Written by R'Vannith on 13.10.2011 at 16:05
Beginning to regret never having heard this band before, this really is exceptional music.

If you like this you'll probably be mightily impressed with the back catalog. One of the few melodeath bands I still pay attention to.

Very true!
14.10.2011 - 23:59
Rating: 7
Wes

Whats with the high reviews!?!??! this album is so average. The song writing is all the same. Each song is just a symphonic buildup without any resolution.

I'm sorry, but I just have to say that these songs are ANNOYING to listen to.
They are pretentious and over-simplistic in chord progression.
It's this forced grandeur heard in all Insomnium songs (but their first album) that makes them seriously overrated.

Each album has been a repeat of this "build up" but it just lacks depth.. It's like each song is slamming down your throat "oh life is so sad" and that's IT.

If melodic music caries a story within it's melody, Insomnium's stories are a one sentence story.

This is just not a good album imo, sorry guys I've had enough of this.
15.10.2011 - 12:42
justfive

The first time I heard this album, I couldnt really tell much of a difference between the songs. It was like listening to the same thing throughout 9+ tracks.

With time though, the album molded and shaped into a powerful piece of music. the tracks naturally differentiated themselves in my head. I have to say while it isnt as blatantly varied like New World Shadows is, its still provides variety and keeps me listening throughout the album.

One for sorrow in particular is a beautiful track.

It started out with a 7 for me, and is currently a 9. Will see how much more it can grow on me
15.10.2011 - 16:52
Fredd
Account deleted
This is a very solid melodeath release, but it's astronomically overrated.
15.10.2011 - 16:59
Kenos
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 15.10.2011 at 16:52

+1.
15.10.2011 - 19:46
D.a.n

Written by Troy Killjoy on 14.10.2011 at 08:19

Give it 24 hours. You'd be surprised how far some albums drop in the charts.

Hah! Wrong! But I admit I expected the same. ;-) After the weekend then, I guess...

Written by Guest on 15.10.2011 at 16:52

Average user rating as of now = 9, your rating = 8. Astronomically? Not my understanding of the word but at least I can now officially say that I am astronomically rich...
15.10.2011 - 20:48
Fredd
Account deleted
Written by D.a.n on 15.10.2011 at 19:46

Average user rating as of now = 9, your rating = 8. Astronomically? Not my understanding of the word but at least I can now officially say that I am astronomically rich...

It was 9.4 after 80 votes when I said so. Also, 8 means very good, 10 means perfection.
15.10.2011 - 21:37
Rating: 9
woodsmoke666

Written by Rulatore on 14.10.2011 at 05:37

The chorus of "Regain the Fire" is pure awesomeness, so beautiful, cant get enough of it

I second that!

Awesome album - similar to their usual stuff but you know what you going to get with these guys. Consistantly putting out great albums
----
tokoloshe
15.10.2011 - 23:28
Risto
Wandering Midget
Written by Guest on 15.10.2011 at 22:43

I am really sorry to say it... But quite disappointing one :-( Still good one but not as good as ATD or even ATWW :-/ So not sure if 8 or 9.

Little controversy: The bonus track, Weather the Storm, is better than the whole album itself :-) And also the second track of WTS single is better than this album.

I didn't hesitate to give it an 8 even when it's only slightly disappointing And Weather the Storm is indeed better than a majority of the album proper. Kind of figures that Through the Shadows, being one of my favourites, was the first song they had finished.
16.10.2011 - 00:23
Therapy?

Godd*mn it I got my preorder delivered but the box is damaged. I can't unpack and listen to it because it will void my warranty. Damn fucking webshop.
16.10.2011 - 00:28
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Therapy? on 16.10.2011 at 00:23
Damn fucking webshop.

If you still haven't heard it, this might interest you.

I know it's not the same as listening to the actual CD, but it might help tide you over until you receive a good conditioned copy.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
16.10.2011 - 01:15
Milena
gloom cookie
Written by Troy Killjoy on 14.10.2011 at 08:04

I'd actually consider this to be one of their weakest overall, although I still really enjoy it. I just think what they've done before this is that good.

That's probably what will happen to Amorphis if they don't consider a slight change as well but I find those two bands to be so exceptionally good and unique in their own field that I can't get enough of them. If Insomnium changed their style, it would certainly be for the worse, for you can't get any more awesome than this band within the boundaries of the genre. One of the rare complaints I have for this album is that I'd like Niilo to write a bigger number of lyrics than Ville. Ville is a good lyricist but Niilo is exceptional.
----
7.0 means the album is good
16.10.2011 - 01:19
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Milena on 16.10.2011 at 01:15
Ville is a good lyricist but Niilo is exceptional.

Maybe Niilo appears better because he writes less. That way he stores his creativity for the few songs he does write the lyrics for. Ville writes more so it's understandable that his ideas aren't exactly as clear from song to song.
----
16.10.2011 - 01:27
Milena
gloom cookie
Written by Troy Killjoy on 16.10.2011 at 01:19

Maybe Niilo appears better because he writes less. That way he stores his creativity for the few songs he does write the lyrics for. Ville writes more so it's understandable that his ideas aren't exactly as clear from song to song.

I'm not talking about quality, I simply prefer Niilo's style, it's peculiar and antique, fragile and very insightful. Ville is very emotional as well, but more down to earth. Hope whoever of you staff people reviews it in weeks to come points out Ville's output here Out of the bands I've discovered in the past year or so, they're one of the rare ones who really strike my fancy with the lyrics, they may appear cheesy but they're crammed with awesomeness, at least for me.
----
16.10.2011 - 01:29
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Milena on 16.10.2011 at 01:27
I'm not talking about quality, I simply prefer Niilo's style, it's peculiar and antique, fragile and very insightful.

Ah fair enough.

I still think their best effort (with everything, music, lyrics, atmosphere) was Above the Weeping World. And I know some people look at their lyrics and think LOLWUT EMOFAGS or whatever (similar situation with doom bands) but I really enjoy reading what they have to say. Listening isn't exactly unpleasant either.
----
16.10.2011 - 01:38
Milena
gloom cookie
Written by Troy Killjoy on 16.10.2011 at 01:29

I still think their best effort (with everything, music, lyrics, atmosphere) was Above the Weeping World. And I know some people look at their lyrics and think LOLWUT EMOFAGS or whatever (similar situation with doom bands) but I really enjoy reading what they have to say. Listening isn't exactly unpleasant either.

That's my least favorite one, but our tastes almost never match (I've just noticed that I've been commenting on a lot of threads after you, recently O_O) so that doesn't surprise me at all and I agree on the lyrics. When people have a month or so of darkness a year, it's not surprising they come out bleak when writing. People say Finnish bands share the same mentality; they've had a long and bloody history filled with 'win' and 'fail' and 'lolwut' equally and it leaves a mark on their culture.
----
16.10.2011 - 01:41
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Milena on 16.10.2011 at 01:38
I've just noticed that I've been commenting on a lot of threads after you, recently O_O

Obviously you're stalking me. But that's okay, when people follow me around they get exposed to some pretty good music.
----
16.10.2011 - 01:57
Milena
gloom cookie
Written by Troy Killjoy on 16.10.2011 at 01:41

Obviously you're stalking me.

Guilty as charged. Look at the building next to you, I'm the little lady with the huge goggles. Waving at you right now.

I prefer stalking DerRozzengarten, Lyrinan, Dane Train and sometimes dismaleuphony though, they're more in my realm of things but don't tell them I said I stalk 'em. And I won't tell MS users about your Britney video marathon, or your stripy socks and orange tutu wearing days.
----
16.10.2011 - 01:59
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Milena on 16.10.2011 at 01:57
I won't tell MS users about your Britney video marathon, or your stripy socks and orange tutu wearing days.

Why not? I do ...And those days aren't over.

What else do you think I wear when listening to Insomnium?
----
16.10.2011 - 02:02
Milena
gloom cookie
Written by Troy Killjoy on 16.10.2011 at 01:59

Written by Milena on 16.10.2011 at 01:57
I won't tell MS users about your Britney video marathon, or your stripy socks and orange tutu wearing days.

Why not? I do ...And those days aren't over.

What else do you think I wear when listening to Insomnium?

An XXXXXL size t-shirt (from the pre-Deathday 666 depression phase of course) with the word SPAM written all over it in sparkly letters?
----
16.10.2011 - 02:04
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Milena on 16.10.2011 at 02:02
An XXXXXL size t-shirt (from the pre-Deathday 666 depression phase of course) with the word SPAM written all over it in sparkly letters?

Okay this isn't funny anymore. You really are stalking me.

Although I've never had a girl stalk me before. Hopefully you like listening to more extreme music than this, cuz I'ma be blasting some brutal death metal all day.
----
16.10.2011 - 02:10
Milena
gloom cookie
Written by Troy Killjoy on 16.10.2011 at 02:04

Although I've never had a girl stalk me before. Hopefully you like listening to more extreme music than this, cuz I'ma be blasting some brutal death metal all day.

I can tolerate. When I sell exclusive videos of you minding your own business, you might even get a percentage of the money

Unless someone blasts our heads off for desecrating this innocent album thread.
----
16.10.2011 - 17:40
Therapy?

Written by Troy Killjoy on 16.10.2011 at 00:28

Written by Therapy? on 16.10.2011 at 00:23
Damn fucking webshop.

If you still haven't heard it, this might interest you.

I know it's not the same as listening to the actual CD, but it might help tide you over until you receive a good conditioned copy.

Ah! Thanks for that I'm also downloading a torrent now. Since I've ordered the album elswhere I don't feel so bad about downloading it anyway
16.10.2011 - 22:10
beyondtehdarksun

Good to see I'm not the only one who is bored by Insomnium's uniform sound. Never really got into their high praised previous albums.
----
"We are blind to the world within us, waiting to be born"
16.10.2011 - 22:48
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Finally got round to listening to this album today. I loved it. Surprising because their previous stuff that I have listened to have never clicked with me (Across the Dark & Above The Weeping World). Perhaps my sad mood today suited it perfectly.
----
loves 小巫
17.10.2011 - 16:32
Vikingr

Nice album, not as good as Above the Weeping World but good nonetheless

Hits total: 56913 | This month: 49