09. Regain The Fire
10. One For Sorrow
11. Weather The Storm [Special Edition bonus] [Japanese bonus]
12. Beyond The Horizon [Japanese bonus]

Top 20 albums of 2011: 8

Staff review by
Dream Taster
Rating:
If I were to ask you what makes a great Metal band, the answer should be pretty much the same across the board: great albums. In truth, a series of great albums that follow the same structure yet manage to be different enough to be individual works while being similar enough to create a unique trademark sound. Do you see now how fine of a margin bands have to operate? Finland's Insomnium have established themselves as a juggernaut of Gothenburg Metal with a trilogy of sublime releases 2002's In The Halls Of Awaiting, 2004's Since The Day It All Came Down & 2006's Above The Weeping World. Then they managed to cleverly modernize their sound with 2009's Across The Dark. With a growing fan base and so many solid works behind them, their new release One For Sorrow has been one of the most anticipated albums of the year, and for good reasons.

Read more ››
published 01.11.2011 | Comments (28)

Guest review by
Risto
Rating:
One For Sorrow: the old children's nursery rhyme about counting up to ten birds in a tree. Makes sense for an Insomnium album to be inspired by it; after all, they've had these birds flying around in their album art for a while. Their fifth full-length respectively adapts to the rhyme with ten tracks of fairly varied Gothenburg metal in that trademark Insomnium sound.

Read more ››
published 03.12.2011 | Comments (4)

Found in 87 lists
Top lists

Comments page 6 / 8

Comments: 223   Visited by: 2151 users
28.10.2011 - 01:20
Rating: 8
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
The only standout track for me was the s/t - and probably only because of the video that was released for it. Otherwise I can't say which songs are better or worse because they do tend to run in together, sort of like the album is one long song. That works for me because I happen to like the sound of that one long song, but it's understandable why others fail to enjoy this album.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
28.10.2011 - 02:19
Crème fraiche
I agree with someone who posted previously, all their albums r good but they all sound the same to me XD
28.10.2011 - 15:53
Rating: 9
Vikingr
Pretty damn good, I dig it
29.10.2011 - 01:18
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Personally I preferred Insomnium's epic ballads like the song In The Halls Of Awaiting, At The Gates Of Sleep, In The Groves Of Death, to name the best. These days it seems they have resorted to a more straight forward approach which isn't bad but none of the pieces are ones that leave a lasting impression. Still a good effort and can't wait to seem them in November.
30.10.2011 - 02:35
JÄY
Metal slave
Every day it drops a few hundreths of a point.....
31.10.2011 - 06:49
Garth Vader
After a handful of listens the track that stands out the most to me is "Every Hour Wounds", it sucks me in every time and breaks that unconscious sort of zoning on the music that happens when one is distracted but listening at the same time.
----
Now I so clearly see how I have murdered me
01.11.2011 - 16:26
John Shock
Is this album that good? ...
02.11.2011 - 11:02
Cassian
Written by John Shock on 01.11.2011 at 16:26

Yes, it definitely is. It just lacks some originality since it sounds pretty similar to their previous works.
02.11.2011 - 12:08
John Shock
Written by Cassian on 02.11.2011 at 11:02

Yes, it definitely is. It just lacks some originality since it sounds pretty similar to their previous works.

I gonna be honest, i never listen to Insomnium before, so i cannot say anything about the band!
But thanks for the advice, i'll keep an eye on the album!!!
03.11.2011 - 00:51
John Shock
Written by John Shock on 02.11.2011 at 12:08

Written by Cassian on 02.11.2011 at 11:02

I gonna be honest, i never listen to Insomnium before, so i cannot say anything about the band!
But thanks for the advice, i'll keep an eye on the album!!!

Niiice melodies here! ;-) ...that's a beautiful album, and the vocals are supreme above any scream or growl! There's no solos at all but, what the hell! Nice riffs there men! Love it!
03.11.2011 - 22:04
Rating: 6
malaikat
Like someone said - this is some quallity melodeath, but it's just so monotone. It's like Insomnium doesn't evolve one bit, every song from every album they made sounds all the same, like they hae only one, gigantic album. I'm not saying that they should reinvent the genre with every release, but even a slightest wave in a certain direction is welcome.

Again, this is good melodeath, but I've heard it many times before - on their albums. To my ears, this is getting tedious. And it's really not fun for me to listen to an album when I know exactly how's it gonna sound.
04.11.2011 - 23:07
Overrated, same melodic/prog stuff
05.11.2011 - 07:02
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Elite
Written by MaiSweettShaadow on 04.11.2011 at 23:07

Overrated, same melodic/prog stuff

Prog?
05.11.2011 - 23:08
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by R'Vannith on 05.11.2011 at 07:02
Prog?

I chuckled.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
06.11.2011 - 06:20
Rating: 6
AngelofDeth
Cyborg Raptor
Written by LeKiwi on 29.10.2011 at 01:18

Personally I preferred Insomnium's epic ballads like the song In The Halls Of Awaiting, At The Gates Of Sleep, In The Groves Of Death, to name the best. These days it seems they have resorted to a more straight forward approach which isn't bad but none of the pieces are ones that leave a lasting impression. Still a good effort and can't wait to seem them in November.

Yea man, while these last two albums are still decent stuff i too prefer the first three albums. I mean damn, those first three albums are just littered with good standout tracks: ill-starred, bitter end, elder, tDiACD, disengagement, gale, the ones you named, i could name more even but i think the point is already made.

anyway i can name a few songs that jumped out at me in this album, but for the most part the album blurred into one monolithic barrage of melodic death metal. not that thats a bad thing, it makes for pretty good album and ill still be giving this album a good amount of attention because it does deserves it. but i just prefer the first three albums style over this album style(AtD included)
----
pewpew.. gotcha
10.11.2011 - 15:39
InsaneMetal
Amazing album, all songs are good, but my preferred ones are Unsung and Song of the Blackest Bird.
12.11.2011 - 23:05
Milena
gloom cookie
Staff
Written by R'Vannith on 25.10.2011 at 17:33

Speak for yourself, it's something I've never heard before

I say that if their 'formula' can produce albums as good as this again and again, then why not stick to it? I mean it's not difficult to notice there is a fair mass of formulas that don't work out there in the metal world, so why not preserve ones like this that do work, rather than risk losing them to mediocre attempts of originality? Not saying that the band couldn't do so, I have no idea, but I guess melo-death is hardly the first place to go to if you're looking for something really original.

Only now I notice this comment that sums up my thought better than me, I thank you sir *takes hat off*
----
7.0 means the album is good
13.11.2011 - 01:27
Rating: 7
Wes
The formula sucks : ( Listened to this many times but get bored every time. It all come down to melodic and structural preference. I find this song structure simplistic and pretentious.
13.11.2011 - 01:40
Rating: 10
AXA
My favorite album this year
Awesome tunes .. top lyric ,,,,
completely awful album ... killer vocalist and guitarist
every single song new stuff ,,,new world
i can feel the mode of this amazing band ... i delete all other albums ..and steel listen to this album all day
13.11.2011 - 01:42
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Wes on 13.11.2011 at 01:27
I find this song structure simplistic and pretentious.

Don't they contradict each other?
----
13.11.2011 - 11:42
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Troy Killjoy on 13.11.2011 at 01:42

Written by Wes on 13.11.2011 at 01:27
I find this song structure simplistic and pretentious.

Don't they contradict each other?

not always. Take for example Lulu, totally simplistic song structures but it doesn't get more pretentious than that album.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

13.11.2011 - 15:52
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Elite
Written by Milena on 12.11.2011 at 23:05

Written by R'Vannith on 25.10.2011 at 17:33

Speak for yourself, it's something I've never heard before

I say that if their 'formula' can produce albums as good as this again and again, then why not stick to it? I mean it's not difficult to notice there is a fair mass of formulas that don't work out there in the metal world, so why not preserve ones like this that do work, rather than risk losing them to mediocre attempts of originality? Not saying that the band couldn't do so, I have no idea, but I guess melo-death is hardly the first place to go to if you're looking for something really original.

Only now I notice this comment that sums up my thought better than me, I thank you sir *takes hat off*

Well thankyou! I'm not sure if you're in the same position as me when it comes to this band but I hadn't heard any of their earlier material. Even if you or anyone else had heard their earlier albums I think it shouldn't be too difficult to appreciate the quality that this 'formula' manages to accomplish on this album. Saying this album is bad simply because it's similar just sounds plain ridiculous to me, I mean if you like their earlier albums and this one is along those lines it doesn't make sense to say that it is of poor quality I think. Despite the old saying 'too much of a good thing...', is 5 good albums (apparently, going by MS ratings) really that much a test of endurance?
13.11.2011 - 16:11
Milena
gloom cookie
Staff
Written by R'Vannith on 13.11.2011 at 15:52

Well thankyou! I'm not sure if you're in the same position as me when it comes to this band but I hadn't heard any of their earlier material. Even if you or anyone else had heard their earlier albums I think it shouldn't be too difficult to appreciate the quality that this 'formula' manages to accomplish on this album. Saying this album is bad simply because it's similar just sounds plain ridiculous to me, I mean if you like their earlier albums and this one is along those lines it doesn't make sense to say that it is of poor quality I think. Despite the old saying 'too much of a good thing...', is 5 good albums (apparently, going by MS ratings) really that much a test of endurance?

I have heard all of their albums, and while this isn't the best one, surely all those people who complain would be enraged if Insomnium had a drastic style change somewhere around the third album and would crave the band to go back to 'good old melodeath'. And REALLY, if people wish to hear something truly refreshing and original, and if they bash melodeath for not being that type of music, then really, why do they come back to it?
----
7.0 means the album is good
13.11.2011 - 21:43
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 13.11.2011 at 11:42
not always. Take for example Lulu, totally simplistic song structures but it doesn't get more pretentious than that album.

Good point...
----
14.11.2011 - 07:32
DaUndataka
Account deleted
Ville Vänni is gone- now Markus Vanhala is in- I want a new album already. Shit...
14.11.2011 - 07:53
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
A new album after a month? That's a bit much. Insomnium =/= Nadja.
----
15.11.2011 - 10:31
cancel
Seriously, I don't get those guys (girls) who gave this album rating "1". Okay, when you don't like this kind of metal, please do not download it and DO NOT play it, 'cause you just decrease objectivity of rating, eh?
15.11.2011 - 11:05
DaUndataka
Account deleted
Written by Troy Killjoy on 14.11.2011 at 07:53

A new album after a month? That's a bit much. Insomnium =/= Nadja.

Wasn't serious.
04.12.2011 - 16:19
heteo
Boring. same thing every minute, nothing new
04.12.2011 - 20:13
Kenos
Account deleted
... I keep thinking it's an OK melodeath album, yet probably one of the most conformist and "normal" of this year; no wonder it's so appreciated and hyped.

Hits total: 56953 | This month: 89