03. She Stands Like Stone
04. The Devils Opera
05. They Called Her Lady Tyranny
06. The Road To Nowhere
07. Your Woeful Chair
08. Newborn Failure
09. Daddy's Not Coming Home
10. Bitch [Meredith Brooks cover] [bonus]

I think that Sarah Jezebel Deva doesn't require specific coordindates of who she is, but I'll lend a few tips just in case, Cradle Of Filth, Therion, The Kovenant, Angtoria etc. Her vocals have haunted many wonderful pieces of music for quite many years, it was about time she released an album under her own name. And so A Sign Of Sublime saw the light of day during 2010, consisting of ten compositions, one of them, “Bitch”, being a Meredith Brooks cover, well, not actually, just a tiny bit heavier remake, but oh well, I don't like either versions.

Inevitably, some of the guitar passages, even keyboard-driven orchestrations, bring forth Cradle Of Filth memories, after all Dave Pybus and Martin Powell are responsible on these instruments here, the first being still member of the well-known UK metal act, the second in the past. But don't consider A Sign Of Sublime a Cradle Of Filth rip-off, it's only reminiscent at times. The title track (along with the intro) or “They Called Her Lady Tyranny” for example, there are moments you think Dani Filth's unearthly screams will enter and suddenly find yourself in the middle of Midian or something.

As for the rest of the album, one may find a wide variety of atmospheres, there are songs that move in generic symphonic/atmospheric or just female-fronted metal soundscapes (“She Stands Like Stone”, “The Road To Nowhere”, “Your Woeful Chair”), others being orchestral pieces with Sarah interpreting (“A Newborn Failure”, “The Devil's Opera”) or even pop lullabies (“Daddy's Not Coming Home”).

An interesting release, I was expecting something much better though from Sarah Jezebel Deva and for Christ's sake, a different cover! Sometimes it's better to sing someone else's songs rather than make your own and with this having been said, I wouldn't want to prevent her from composing again, it's neither my intension nor I think I will effect her this way, she's got both potential and experience. Until next time.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 6
Originality: 6
Production: 8

Written on 13.09.2010 by "It is myself I have never met, whose face is pasted on the underside of my mind."

Comments

Comments: 16   Visited by: 206 users
14.09.2010 - 17:40
Lovecraft
Account deleted
Idk why, but I didn't like this album. I don't like the cover either.
btw, organized review.
19.09.2010 - 02:38
Rating: 6
Jason W.
Razorbliss
staff
Ya, I'm with you on many points in this review, as the production is good enough to keep it as an average release. And the cover is quite poor. On a personal side, I never could get into her singing, and on any of her past involvements before this project really. There's something about her intonation and natural tone that is just lost on me, but such is the essence of the human voice - sometimes it just doesn't appeal to some.

I could have gone without hearing that Meredith Brooks cover, though, even worse than the original.
----
"After silence that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." - Aldous Huxley
19.09.2010 - 02:45
KwonVerge
Odysseus
elite
Written by Jason W. on 19.09.2010 at 02:38

I could have gone without hearing that Meredith Brooks cover, though, even worse than the original.

Yeah, it got on my nerves I will never ever understand why she did this, she raped a murdered song, necrophiliac version pfff
----
Dec. 30, 1334.

...And the whiskey and wine entered our veins when blood was too weak to carry on.
20.09.2010 - 04:57
DaMaGe
I do not think she is capable to lead a band so my advice to her "Stick where Dani walks"
----
Born To Be Failure
21.09.2010 - 03:04
Lovecraft
Account deleted
I haven't heard the bonus track. I will, though.
21.09.2010 - 03:06
KwonVerge
Odysseus
elite
Written by Guest on 21.09.2010 at 03:04

I haven't heard the bonus track. I will, though.

Please, don't.
----
Dec. 30, 1334.

...And the whiskey and wine entered our veins when blood was too weak to carry on.
22.03.2012 - 20:56
Vonpire
Damn, she sounds terrible on this record. Appears a cat being scalped

The riffs and orchestrations aren't that bad. I agree with the rating, average, almost good release.

Now giving this MORE 0,5 than what you give to Draconian GOTHIC ALBUM OF THE YEAR ARFTA is a terrible joke (not this one the draconian review) Sorry mate.
----
Beware the Shadows of Dusk
22.03.2012 - 21:16
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Vonpire on 22.03.2012 at 20:56

Now giving this MORE 0,5 than what you give to Draconian GOTHIC ALBUM OF THE YEAR ARFTA is a terrible joke (not this one the draconian review) Sorry mate.

Wow, you still mad bro?
22.03.2012 - 21:26
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Please get over the fact you think something is brilliant whereas others disagree
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

22.03.2012 - 21:27
Slayer666
^
I love this guy. xD
Pretty sure he's trolling now, though.
22.03.2012 - 22:17
Vonpire
<snob mode >
GOTHIC ALBUM OF THE YEAR
</snob mode >

Marcel I am over that by ages. I just look at what you think it's brilliant and I just

But well most people loved it or else it wouldn't have won the award. Get over it.

I love you too Slayer666.
----
23.03.2012 - 01:41
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Apparently when an album wins an MS award it's due to quality and not popularity.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
23.03.2012 - 06:31
KwonVerge
Odysseus
elite
Lol
----
Dec. 30, 1334.

23.03.2012 - 12:45
Vonpire
Written by Troy Killjoy on 23.03.2012 at 01:41

Apparently when an album wins an MS award it's due to quality and not popularity.

{sarcastic mode on]
Oh sure, of course, Megadeth won, Nightwish won, Opeth won... Sure it's all about popularity.
[sarcastic mode off]
----
23.03.2012 - 14:09
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Written by Vonpire on 23.03.2012 at 12:45
[sarcastic mode off]

Hopefully when I'm 33 I'll be as cool as you.

I do agree with the majority here about this album though. Pretty bad stuff.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
23.03.2012 - 20:20
Vonpire
Glad we could get to an understanding.
----

Hits total: 6268 | This month: 9