Metal Storm logo
Gojira + Lost Soul, Masachist @ Stodola, Warsaw, Poland 25/08/2010

Event: Gojira: European Tour
Written by: jupitreas
Published: 14.09.2010

Galleries:

Gojira at Stodola, Warsaw, Poland by jupitreas (18)

To be honest with you, my dear readers, I'm not really a big Gojira fan. I don't really find them all that original (we've had Meshuggah playing in a pretty similar style for years) and their eco-mentalist attitude goes very much against my own beliefs and as such is highly annoying. Seriously, why do so many confused eco-nuts presume that man is powerful enough to somehow be able to go against nature's wishes? As George Carlin used to say, "the planet is fine, the people are fucked" and I am fine with this - we're here to pursue our thing, our Aristotalean function - and once that's done, we'll be gone. If a bunch of species are gonna die while we engage in our progress and if the planet's eco system is altered slightly, well - tough shit. Nature is heartless and in nature, things die. Deal with it. But I digress.

As you can imagine, I didn't really hugely look forward to seeing Gojira. Nevertheless, two great Polish death metal bands supported the Frenchmen in Stodola in Warsaw on August 25th 2010. Masachist kicked things off with their speedy and brutal assault. The band started off as a side project for Vader's previous drummer Daray and although I could not confirm that it was actually him behind the drumkit, his pummeling and hyper-fast drumming style is still what defines this band's sound. The band played well technically; however, their set was also somewhat lacking in dynamics and it was nearly impossible to distinguish one blast-beat heavy song from the next. It was all pretty exhausting so I soon decided to wonder around the venue a little bit only to notice that the audience was growing to fairly impressive numbers considering the kind of event that we're dealing with.

Lost Soul was up next and being a well-established formation with many years of experience, they were received much more enthusiastically than Masachist before them. Unfortunately, I found their music to be dissapointingly slow and not energetic enough. Perhaps Masachist should have actually played after them since it was tough to match the kind of intensity that 30 minutes of expertly performed blast-beats brings. With this said, I think I might have been one of the few people disappointed with Lost Soul as progressively more people gathered around the stage and were obviously having a good time. Either way, after about 45 minutes, Lost Sould left the stage and the main hall in the venue visibly began to fill up with people, probably well over 1000 of them.

Finally, Gojira emerged, began to play and truly surprised me very pleasantly. So yeah - I'm not a fan but I gotta tell you - Gojira is one fun band live. The energy of the show was just right and the setlist was very well crafted for the audience. I was very impressed with Gojira's regular excursions into pummeling death metal influenced sections where energy was at a very enjoyable high, no matter what one thinks about this particular band. The band also took the effort to communicate with the audience, wish Nergal a quick recovery and just generally offer a very good first impression. The guys from Gojira were also quite obviously very impressed with the plentiful Polish audience at the show and their enthusiasm was very visible as they were leaving the stage.

Here's their setlist:
1. Lizard Skin
2. Clone
3. Backbone
4. Indians
5. A Sight to Behold
6. The Art of Dying
7. Drum Solo
8. The Heaviest Matter of the Universe
9. Flying Whales
10. Toxic Garbage Island
11. Vacuity

Encore:
1. Love
2. Oroborus

All in all, I gotta say I was very pleasantly surprised by Gojira live. I still find their views annoying and I still won't be buying any of their albums; however, I will definitely not avoid any of their future live shows that I might have the opportunity to see.

Written on 14.09.2010 by With Metal Storm since 2002, jupitreas has been subjecting the masses to his reviews for quite a while now. He lives in Warsaw, Poland, where he does his best to avoid prosecution for being so cool.

Comments

Comments: 7   Visited by: 84 users
14.09.2010 - 18:01
skrätte
I Hate You
This was en enjoyable read. The only thing in it that really sticks out to me in such a way that I feel it demands comment is when you say:
Quote:
I'm not really a big Gojira fan. I don't really find them all that original (we've had Meshuggah playing in a pretty similar style for years)...

I am a Gojira fan. Not a huge Gojira fan, but moreso than most of my metalhead pals. I don't like everything Gojira has done, but when they hit me with a song that strikes me as kick-ass.. it's rather addicting. I do not get the Meshuggah comparison. I mean.. maybe Gojira aren't all that original, but I certainly wouldn't compare them to Meshuggah. While they do, on occasion, implement some interesting time signatures, they are way-too-simplified for anything Meshuggah-esque (and that's not a negative thing), and Gojira's guitar tones and layering are off-the-charts. In fact, it was their guitar sound, alone, that initially drew me to the band (re: Backbone and Ocean Planet, both on From Mars To Sirius). The Gojira tone is thick and sludgy whereas Meshuggah is sharp and metallic. It's the Gojira guitar tone that I think sets them apart from other bands I listen to. Duplantier's voice, I think, is the perfect compliment to the wall of sludginess the guitars and bass fire forth. It makes me think of an avalanche. A giant, muddy, menacing, French avalanche.

I don't know.. we all hear different things, so I am not damning you for your opinions. I just felt the need to give my opinion on the matter, as it hit me strong enough to do so. I would be interested to hear why you think they deserved the Meshuggah comparison. I just hear them as totally different bands. As for the environmental stuff.. well, oftentimes, when bands start to strike me as preachy, I tune them out and listen to the vocals as just another melody.

Again, great review of the show. I have yet to see Gojira, and this review just made me more excited to do so.
----
14.09.2010 - 21:28
Abattoir
Staff
Very nice review....I'd realy like to see this band live once, to bad that this tour was relatively a short one.
14.09.2010 - 22:46
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
Staff
Written by skrätte on 14.09.2010 at 18:01

lots of stuff

What can I tell you man, I find Gojira to be quite influenced by Meshuggah in terms of song structures, dynamics, vocals etc. The guitar tone might be a tad different but I dont find it to be a huge deal really, its not like its radically different. I think maybe you're seeing too much of a difference between the bands because you're into them and you notice really small things.
14.09.2010 - 23:38
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
I was the same with Gojira when I saw them live, in that I had a passing interest but was genuinely blown away by their set. Everything looked and sounded just right.

Have to say I agree with thingy though, while I would agree Meshuggah and Gojira share a similar sound; that mechanical, sterile tone, I don't really think they play the same kind of music, or at least they each play a distinct version of a particular style, Gojira have far too much flow compared to Meshuggah's disjointed, staccato fashion, even despite the obvious influence they had on Gojira. What I mean is that I think there's a lot you can get from Gojira that you can't from Meshuggah (melody for one thing) and vice a versa.
14.09.2010 - 23:52
Darkside Momo
Retired
Elite
I have to agree with !J.O.O.E.! here, Jupitreas.
Apart from this, good report, and I'm happy to see that you liked them live. Yeah, they definitely kick ass on stage!
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
16.09.2010 - 10:07
Bigpaul
Gojira are a fantastic live band, even if you are not that into their albums they are seriously worth seeing them in the flesh......very energetic, tight and joe can really get the crowd going!
13.10.2010 - 10:40
Aetherius
Good review, enjoyed reading this!

Hits total: 6250 | This month: 3