Metal Storm logo
Pantera - Cowboys From Hell Deluxe Re-Issue

Just yesterday Rhino Records re-issued the deluxe edition of the Pantera classic Cowboys From Hell. Album samples and all information how to get you a copy can be found here. Below is the official press release with further details and a very special video message from bassist Rex Brown, giving a shout out to MetalStorm.net (that's us!)

An AOL listening party is going on here. And you can download the previously unreleased track "The Will to Survive" (if you haven't already) by liking Pantera on Facebook.

Rhino Records press release

Pantera found its growl and groove on Cowboys From Hell, a landmark album whose bone-powdering intensity, razor-sharp riffing and pummeling rhythmic assault represented a turning point in modern metal when it was released in 1990. More than just Pantera's major label debut, many consider this album to be the official debut of the Pantera lineup with singer Philip Anselmo, guitarist "Dimebag" Darrell Abbott, his brother, drummer Vinnie Paul and bassist Rex Brown.

To celebrate the 20-year anniversary of Cowboys From Hell, Rhino rounds up a three-disc Ultimate Edition, a three-disc Deluxe Edition, and a two-disc Expanded Edition. All three editions include a newly remastered version of the original album along with unreleased and rare live performances from the "Cowboys From Hell" Tour.

The Ultimate and Deluxe Editions will also feature a disc of unreleased demos for nearly every album track, plus, "The Will To Survive," a previously unreleased song recorded during the album's sessions.

Says Vinnie Paul: "The Will To Survive" is a great track. With so many killer songs, it was hard to pick and choose the ones that should make our major label debut. After hearing it for the first time in about 20 years, its a pretty stellar performance and I am definitely proud that it will see the light of day for all the die hard Pantera fans around the world! It shows the true musical diversity of the band at that time!"

The Deluxe and Expanded Editions of Cowboys From Hell will be released September 14 at all retail outlets, including pantera.com and rhino.com. The Deluxe Edition will be available for a suggested list price of $29.98 (physical) and $17.99 (digital) and the Expanded Edition for $19.98 (physical) and $12.99 (digital).

The Ultimate Edition will feature all three discs included in the Deluxe Edition and will be housed in an intricate box including several replica memorabilia pieces from the Cowboys era. The Ultimate Edition will be available on November 23 and final pre-order details, as well as the contents, will be unveiled soon on Pantera's Facebook page.

Along with the remastered version of Cowboys From Hell, all three sets include a disc of live music recorded during the tour for the album. It begins with seven unreleased performances from Pantera's September 15, 1990 appearance at the Foundations Forum metal convention in California, a show recorded for radio broadcast but never released commercially. The remainder of the disc contains the five-song EP Alive And Hostile, a collection of performances recorded in 1991 at the Monsters of Rock festival in Moscow that was previously available only in Australia as part of a 1994 boxed set.

The Ultimate and Deluxe Editions of Cowboys From Hell include a third disc that contains the previously unreleased "The Will To Survive," along with demos for 10 of the album's 12 songs, including early versions of the title track, "Psycho Holiday," "The Art Of Shredding" and "Cemetery Gates."

After being turned down "twenty-eight times by every major label on the face of the earth," ATCO Records A&R rep Mark Ross saw the band when Hurricane Hugo stranded him in Texas. The rest, as they say, is history, including another seven years and over a million miles of touring for Cowboys to be certified Platinum (one million album sales) by the RIAA.

The album's liner notes include essays by each of the band's surviving members, producer Terry Date, and the aforementioned Ross. Recalling the first time he saw Pantera, Ross writes, "By the end of the first song, my jaw was on the floor. The sonic power of it all ? the attitude and the musicianship ? blew me away. Basically, you had to be an idiot to not think they're amazing. I mean, how could you see these guys and not think, Holy shit!?"

Cowboys From Hell [cover art] tracklist:

Disc I: Ultimate, Deluxe, and Expanded Editions

01. Cowboys From Hell
02. Primal Concrete Sledge
03. Psycho Holiday
04. Heresy
05. Cemetery Gates
06. Domination
07. Shattered
08. Clash With Reality
09. Medicine Man
10. Message In Blood
11. The Sleep
12. The Art Of Shredding

Disc II: Ultimate, Deluxe, and Expanded Editions
(Tracks 1-7 Recorded Live at Foundations Forum, Los Angeles, CA 9/15/90)
(Tracks 8-12 Recorded at For Those About to Rock: Monsters in Moscow, 1991)

01. Domination - Live*
02. Psycho Holiday - Live*
03. The Art Of Shredding - Live*
04. Cowboys From Hell - Live*
05. Cemetery Gates - Live*
06. Primal Concrete Sledge - Live*
07. Heresy - Live*
08. Domination - Live, Alive And Hostile EP?
09. Primal Concrete Sledge - Live, Alive And Hostile EP?
10. Cowboys From Hell - Live, Alive And Hostile EP?
11. Heresy - Live, Alive And Hostile EP?
12. Psycho Holiday - Live, Alive And Hostile EP?

Disc III: Ultimate and Deluxe Editions Only

01. The Will To Survive*
02. Shattered - Demo*
03. Cowboys From Hell - Demo*
04. Heresy - Demo*
05. Cemetery Gates - Demo*
06. Psycho Holiday - Demo*
07. Medicine Man - Demo*
08. Message In Blood - Demo*
09. Domination - Demo*
10. The Sleep - Demo*
11. The Art Of Shredding - Demo*

* Previously Unreleased
? Unreleased in the U.S

(Cowboys From Hell originally released on July 24, 1990)

Source: rhino.com
Band profile: Pantera
Posted: 15.09.2010 by Thryce

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 9   Visited by: 268 users
15.09.2010 - 16:15
vezzy
Stallmanite
I actually downloaded it already, it's decent overall.
I have yet to check out "The Will to Survive" though. I like the shout-out from Rex, btw.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
15.09.2010 - 17:07
Angelic Storm
Melodious
"The Will To Survive" is an awesome song! It's far better than the filler tracks which are on Cowboys for sure. xD

It sounds more like an outtake from the "Power Metal" album than Cowboys, though it does contain a riff that was later used on "This Love". Wonderful track though, its a shame they stopped making that kind of metal.

Very kewl of Rex to give a personal shout out to Metal Storm too! \m/
15.09.2010 - 19:51
bluegreengod
Account deleted
Written by Angelic Storm on 15.09.2010 at 17:07

"The Will To Survive" is an awesome song! It's far better than the filler tracks which are on Cowboys for sure. xD

It sounds more like an outtake from the "Power Metal" album than Cowboys, though it does contain a riff that was later used on "This Love". Wonderful track though, its a shame they stopped making that kind of metal.

Uhhhh...filler tracks?? I've had the cowboys album for 20 years and don't remember any filler tracks on it. 'The will to survive' really does sound more like and early outtake. I was thinking maybe 'I am the night' type sound.
15.09.2010 - 20:25
UnknownCheese
Written by Guest on 15.09.2010 at 19:51

Written by Angelic Storm on 15.09.2010 at 17:07

Uhhhh...filler tracks?? I've had the cowboys album for 20 years and don't remember any filler tracks on it. 'The will to survive' really does sound more like and early outtake. I was thinking maybe 'I am the night' type sound.

The album is full of them.
15.09.2010 - 20:29
Angelic Storm
Melodious

Ive also had it for 20 years.

None of the songs are actually bad, but some songs in the 2nd half of the album aren't as good as the ones in the first half IMO. The first half of the album is amazing, and songs like "The Art Of Shredding" and "Shattered" are also great. Its a great album, definitely, but a couple of average tracks brings it down a little for me. Vinnie Paul has actually said that "The Will To Survive" was written for Cowboys From Hell, but was left off it because they could only include 12 songs on the album, and that was the one chosen to be left off the album. And I can see why. Although it is a great song, I think the style of it was what Pantera were trying to evolve away from.
15.09.2010 - 20:29
skrätte
I Hate You
The Will To Survive is a demo that was going to be on Cowboys, but (thankfully) left off. I say that because it is totally unlike the rest of CFH. More glam-era Pantera. Glamtera.

You can hear how they eventually borrowed from it to write "This Love". Awesome piece of Pantera history.

I remember the first time I ever heard Pantera. It was sometime in 90-91 and my friends and I were packed into a Chevy Celebrity, cruising around and smoking weed. It was the razor sharp, ear-piercing mix of the original cassette that made us want to shred the shit out of anything we could get our hands on. It was damn-near metal perfection in a world becoming overly-saturated with the birth of Grunge and the death throes of Glam, grasping for attention. Hearing Cowboys From Hell for the first time is one of those "I remember exactly where I was and what I was doing" moments.

Anyway.. as far as this whole boxed set goes, I've heard nothing but unsatisfied reviews, already. Apparently, Rhino Records did nothing but hard limit it and/or up the treble so badly that it makes your ears bleed. Might be worth picking up for the live recordings and the demos, if you are into that stuff. Cool for a Pantera collector, I guess. It will be awhile before I run out to pick this up. I still get jazzed up from he original.
----
15.09.2010 - 22:28
Lit. Metalhead
Account deleted
Looks fucking awesome. Cowboys From Hell was a damn near revolutionary album for me, and to this day I cannot listen to the solo of Cowboys From Hell without putting my hands on my knees and headbanging my head off. It's just one of the greatest solos I've ever heard.
This thing's gotta be expensive, though.
16.09.2010 - 00:54
Fat & Sassy!
Elite

Uhhhh...filler tracks?? I've had the cowboys album for 20 years and don't remember any filler tracks on it.

I've been rockin' the album for only half that time, and I'd have to say I agree. The only thing these "filler" songs fill is my heart with pure metal passion. <3
17.09.2010 - 05:18
Darth Satanious
Post Destroyer
Ta ta ta ta ta ta ta ra ra ra, ta ta ta ta ta ta ta ra ra ra, ta ta ta ta ta ta ta ra ra ra
----
Christless

Hits total: 10159 | This month: 13