Album: Reason
Style: Death doom metal
Release date: May 2004

01. In Pouring Rain
02. The Silent Witness
03. This Inner Twist
04. The Sun Doesn't Shine Anymore
05. A Flower In Decay

This album, ?Reason", released by the known Dutch doom band, has seen the light this year. I must say it is one of the best albums from the current year. And you don't have to be a die hard doom fan to value it.
Actually, I've read somewhere someone said that the album fits the weather from that country. I've never been in The Netherlands till now, but I believe that.

As a preliminary remark I must say when I heard this album for the first time I was intrigued by the maturity of this album, both for composition and interpretation. It's the style of great bands.

I couldn't find a weak point for this album. I like the guitar parts very much. You might question the originality of the sound; it's your freedom to do that. But I must say after few listenings, you will remember this sound, the riffs, and the rhythms. The melody will flow in your ears. That happened also with me.
The tracks are quite long, the shortest being the first from the album, with over 5 minutes. The length of the songs represents a common feature in the doom genre. But that wouldn't bother you. You can't get bored with such an album.

Besides guitar parts, you could hear also some keyboards and piano; very touching. Exempli gratia: "The Inner Twist", the third track features such distinct parts, or the superb piano intro from the forth track, "The Sun Doesn't Shine Anymore" or from the last song, "A Flower in Decay". Listen carefully the other tracks and you will get the background sounds. Besides those, the album uses synths. It isn't odd anymore. Metal bands started to use the synth long ago.

Personally, I would also like to hear mellotron in doom. That would be something? Speaking of beauty, and "hearing beautifully", the final parts from the last song are breathtaking.

The voice fits perfectly such music. It's Pim Blankenstein's voice. He works, at least according to the official site of the band, as an information officer at the Ministry of Education, Culture and Science in The Netherlands. I just wonder myself if he growls some at his job.

The album isn't monotone at all. If you take the time to listen it carefully, you might get that. The rhythm is slow, goes slower and sometimes even (a bit) faster.

I couldn't choose easily just one track from the album. Every one of them is special. The most moving song is, perhaps, "The Sun Doesn't Shine Anymore". But count also, the first track: that is supposed to gives shivers down the listener's spine. And the last track of the album. Better, you listen to it as a whole.

A 9 ranking for this release.

Written by janhuss | 17.09.2004

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 3   Visited by: 61 users
17.09.2010 - 23:03
Rating: 10
lord artan

Thanks for review...good album...beauty... icant say any thing.i loved
20.09.2010 - 21:49
Rating: 10
lord artan

I can not wait....I just committed suicide to ease...Because this song:The Silent Witness
I do not know how much a group can be great?
03.11.2015 - 11:38
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
''Actually, I've read somewhere someone said that the album fits the weather from that country.''
it fits more to N Sweden, specially song The Sun Doesn't Shine Anymore
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing

Hits total: 5932 | This month: 10