04. Pendulous Fall
05. Hunter's Season
06. Karma
07. Forever
08. March Of Mephisto

[Super Limited Collector's Edition Bonus 7" Vinyl]
01. Rule The World [Live - Wacken]
02. Thespian Drama

Kamelot, at least in my eyes, has always been a band that sought their own path through the world of metal. The most fitting description of their sound is, no matter how I hate to admit it, power metal. Not the cheesiest, happiest German type, but power metal nevertheless. What made it more distinguished than most of the other power bands were Thomas Youngblood's distinctive guitar style, clever use of keyboards and orchestrations, and, above everything else, Roy Khan's vocals - so unlike any other metal singer, so non-metal so to speak. These three essential elements carried Kamelot's music through almost 20 years of their career, which has been on the rise all that time. Being quite a prolific band, they managed to deliver 9 full length releases, whose quality was constantly satisfactory, with occasional hints at excellence (Epica, Ghost Opera). Some progressive and symphonic elements crept into Kamelot's music in the meantime, making it richer, more textured and ambitious.

Alas my friends, not anymore. Poetry for the Poisoned is a letdown. The courage that Kamelot had to implement new elements into the fossilized body of power metal was enough for one brave, enjoyable song, "The Great Pandemonium." Electronic beginning, growling in the background, dense drumming that almost turns into blastbeats at the end. If it wasn't for the vocalist, it'd be hard to recognize Kamelot. The song is tight, to the point, and it genuinely hooked me up for the rest of the album. Bravo gentlemen, you're expanding your sound!

Too bad you don't know which direction you want to take your expansion. "If Tomorrow Came" is a typical power metal number, "The Zodiac" is a boring, theatrical exercise in role-playing, "Necropolis" balances on the edge of some kind of shy, half-hearted industrial rock. An honorable mention should be made about the terrible "House On A Hill." A few more songs like this and Kamelot will become new kings of sickeningly sweet cheese called power metal ballad. When I heard the verse "Cry me a river," I literally fell off my couch. Seriously, Michael Bolton meets Whitney Houston. It's scarier than "The Shining"! The title track, an ambitious four-part opus, doesn't save the day. It seems to go nowhere and everywhere at the same time. As a result, my finger hits the "STOP" button.

I can understand why the band wants to play a bit differently after 19 years of existence. But I was kind of hoping that they would figure it out during those 3 years that passed since their previous release. Apparently they had so many ideas for the new album that they couldn't make up their minds, so they crammed every idea they had into those 11 songs. The result is dubious. It'll probably scare off many old fans (like me) and won't bring too many new ones. Fanboys will be delighted, I'm sure, but they'd be delighted even if Khan started to fart in a melodic way. No offense, but this is just one inch over crap.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 6
Originality: 7
Production: 7

Written on 18.09.2010 by Writes overly honest and totally subjective reviews when fancy strikes him. Which is not often. Which is probably good, all things considered.

Guest review by
ponderer
Rating:
Brilliant. This cd will probably be totally misinterpreted by many, but after listening to it enough it finally dawned on me that Poetry for the Poisoned is just an evolutionary step of Kamelot's musical genius. It's nice to see this band evolving and growing from their power metal roots into something which appeals more to the musically inclined as opposed to serving up the same driving beats and power chords cd after cd. Welcome to the world of progressive metal.

Read more ››
published 12.12.2010 | Comments (22)

Guest review by
Pazu
Rating:
Three long years fans had to wait for an all new full-length studio album, and here it finally is. So what's the deal on Poetry For The Poisoned? In a word - great, although not as great as expected. Kamelot is one of those bands that kept improving from album to album until they reached their zenith with the incredible The Black Halo. The following release was a letdown for many fans, because of new influences on the band's sound. If you are one of those fans, then better pass on this record, since it's one step further along the same road. If you however, like me, loved Ghost Opera, definately give this one a try.

Read more ››
published 15.12.2010 | Comments (4)

Guest review by
Kais
Rating:
It's been 5 years since Poetry For The Poisoned was released. Five long years in which illustrious Kamelot and Conception vocalist decided to bid farewell to the music industry as a whole, for a higher cause, and it was the first studio appearance of original bassist Sean Tibbetts, after long-time bassist Glenn Berry had left the band.

Read more ››
published 28.06.2015 | Comments (7)

Comments page 3 / 5

Comments: 142   [ 4 ignored ]   Visited by: 702 users
20.09.2010 - 17:14
ponderer

Written by Daniell on 19.09.2010 at 20:34

Written by ponderer on 19.09.2010 at 19:08

Totally disagree with the entire review. Great Kamelot cd.

Also you know when a review comes out the day after the cd retails that it's going to be totally biased because the reviewer has maybe listened to it once or twice at best. The criteria for writing reviews and the quality of reviews on the whole has hit an all-time new low at Metalstorm.

You seem to be a very strange person. I stated that I listened to the album about 20 times, which I did. I also stated that I really like Kamelot - hte whole 1st paragraph of the review is about it. I even named 2 albums that I regard great.
Yet you accuse me of writing a review after 1-2 listens... It looks like you only read the rating of the album, and didn't bother to check the rest.

I read your entire review and I've never read anything more one-sided and jaded on Metalstorm to this date. Why don't we all start writing reviews for the latest Madonna cd? People usually review cds of bands they like, but when you start getting biased "posts" which yours clearly is, there's something wrong with the system in place here at MS. I hate everything Judas Priest did after Stained Class, should I be writing reviews for Point of Entry? Why don't you let me submit my own review for the new Kamelot cd? Oh wait, I can't. You conveniently make everyone else wait to submit their reviews making sure nobody is allowed to disagree with your holier than thou biased diatribe. I think your review is good in that it points out just exactly what direction this site is headed in regards to what kind of bullshit they'll allow from those in charge.

The reviews section was already in decline because the self-proclaimed, self-titled "extreme" EuroTards are allowed to spam their biased opinions everywhere spoiling any chance those of us with unbiased opinions who actually LISTEN TO THE MUSIC have of voicing our own. It's just a shame that MS has stooped to this new low. There should be a system of checks and balances in regards to what's submitted.

Wait until someone gets ahold of the "extreme" fanboys favorite cd and gives it a totally justified overall rating of 2. You will see all hell break loose on MS.

I do love it that I've become the martyr (scapegoat) for the few people who have a difference of opinion on Metalstorm. Anyone who goes against popular opinion here at MS, which is that it HAS TO BE EXTREME OR ITS SHIT, gets the 3rd degree from the peanut gallery. Keep in mind that the majority of the people in the "extreme" department are teen-angst adolescents with a chip on their shoulder already, and they aren't about to listen to anyone elses opinion. The only way this will ever change is if the people like myself who don't care for popular opinion and aren't interested in going with the flow here at MS, which is "extreme or it sucks", start standing up and voicing their opinion. You don't have to like "extreme" to have an opinion here at MS and in fact yours is more likely to be heard and appreciated since it goes against MS standard of misguided popular beliefs.
20.09.2010 - 17:22
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Another example of ponderer accidentally showing his inferiority complex toward extreme metallers. This whole "extreme = good" argument is pure drivel. The fact that you attack anyone who has heavier tastes than you destroys your credibility on a day to day basis. You only need to look at the multitude of positive reviews for non-extreme records as well as the negative ones for extreme ones.

Lets cut through the bullshit with a well used axiom:

ponderer = butthurt. I've never seen someone with a more oblique personal problem. The over compensatory personal profile doesn't help either.
20.09.2010 - 17:27
Rating: 4
vezzy
Stallmanite
Seriously? The general MS attitude isn't "extreme = good", on the other hand, the average Metalstormer prefers melodic metal.

There are plenty of negative reviews on extreme records, like Joe says.

You know what? I'd honestly like to see you review Repulsion's Horrified. Do it now.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
20.09.2010 - 17:32
ponderer

The extreme people have spoken, everyone else bow down now. Your opinions aren't welcomed here, just kneel.
20.09.2010 - 17:34
vezzy
Stallmanite
I think this guy is from 4chan or Something Awful.
----
20.09.2010 - 17:39
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
I'm embarrassed by his age. The kind of blind lack of logic and childish belligerence is to be expected from a pre-teen. Oh well, I'm sure MS will always have a playpen from which he can throw his toys out of. We accept you ponderer!
20.09.2010 - 17:59
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by ponderer on 20.09.2010 at 17:32

The extreme people have spoken, everyone else bow down now.

Omg, please... You're argument doesn't have any basis, have you seen most of the reviews here in MS? Most of them are about the bands that are in the melodic side, and most of them have 7-10 reviews. The more extreme scene is clearly in minority here. Have someone REALLY told you something in the vein of "you suck because you ain't extreme?" How many?... one? The problem I have with your post in not the text itself.... it's the thing that you really don't know what you're talking about.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
20.09.2010 - 18:46
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Weird argument about writing reviews about stuff you like. That is just as biased and tbh even more one sided because then all of a sudden everything is good. It actually refreshing to read reviews about albums people dislike as long as they come up with arguments.
Reviewing is about being able to write reviews of albums one likes and dislikes without it turning into a bashfest for the sake of bashing, which clearly isn't the case here. Daniell even says he likes other Kamelot. So he is not blinded by hate but judging from his review also not by blinded fanboyism.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

20.09.2010 - 18:53
farfaramir

Written by ponderer on 20.09.2010 at 17:32

The extreme people have spoken, everyone else bow down now. Your opinions aren't welcomed here, just kneel.

Eeeeem, just check the most extreme music review and you will notice that the generally, they get even worst rating.

And no one complains XD.
20.09.2010 - 19:04
ponderer

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 20.09.2010 at 18:46

Weird argument about writing reviews about stuff you like. That is just as biased and tbh even more one sided because then all of a sudden everything is good. It actually refreshing to read reviews about albums people dislike as long as they come up with arguments.
Reviewing is about being able to write reviews of albums one likes and dislikes without it turning into a bashfest for the sake of bashing, which clearly isn't the case here. Daniell even says he likes other Kamelot. So he is not blinded by hate but judging from his review also not by blinded fanboyism.

This isn't a personal attack against Daniell at all, but more about putting the spotlight on the review system at MS. If we are going to start writing reviews for bands and cds we hate, this is going to turn (already has) into a complete circus. Why would anyone even bother wasting their time writing a review for a cd they don't like?!?!?!??! This is just opening the door wide inviting trouble. I guess I need to check the lists of these guys that deem everything other than "extreme" metal garbage and submit a few more reviews.

I cannot wait to see the can of worms opened up the first time someone disagrees with their opinion in an open public review because we've all seen how they act when I comment. I'll grab any cd they recommend which they think is the most extreme metal offering ever created and drop a review.
20.09.2010 - 19:08
vezzy
Stallmanite
Is it really that hard to admit that a certain album is weak or weaker than other efforts?
----
20.09.2010 - 19:09
ponderer

Written by Opethian on 20.09.2010 at 00:54

HAHAHA its sad how the retard who reviewed the album was too ass hurt to admit the fact that Kamelot isnt a band that is going to put out the same record year after year. This band doesnt please a certain crowd and i take it that is what gets everyones panties mixed in a bunch .. so to say.

IMHO this album is a TRUE follow up to TBH, i respect the fact that Kamelot doesnt in no way depend on their passed albums to move forward! Every album is a different experience. I love PFTP and its Kamelot doing what their excellent at, which is delivering great music

Well said. I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks this offering is pretty damn good. Let the haters hate it's just a shame everyone has to look at that tragic review as soon as they click on the cd. Totally unfair and biased.
20.09.2010 - 19:16
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by ponderer on 20.09.2010 at 19:04

If we are going to start writing reviews for bands and cds we hate, this is going to turn (already has) into a complete circus.

You're right, but you don't understand why.... it's going to be a circus because people like you can't take a negative review of an album of your liking.

He's clearly not bashing the album like a troll (I mean... have you ever been on Metal archives?) and gives arguments... You don't need to agree with them though. The negavite reviews in the melodic side of the metalstorm spectrum are a minority, so it is refreshing to read some dude that writes what he/she thinks.

The other thing I don't understand is the way you keep on saying "haters"..... I don't think that anybody really hates the album, it's not their liking, that is all.

I'm also still waiting for a good argument about how this review is biased.
----
Rod, let me love you.
20.09.2010 - 21:12
ponderer

Written by X-Ray Rod on 20.09.2010 at 19:16

Written by ponderer on 20.09.2010 at 19:04

If we are going to start writing reviews for bands and cds we hate, this is going to turn (already has) into a complete circus.

You're right, but you don't understand why.... it's going to be a circus because people like you can't take a negative review of an album of your liking.

He's clearly not bashing the album like a troll (I mean... have you ever been on Metal archives?) and gives arguments... You don't need to agree with them though. The negavite reviews in the melodic side of the metalstorm spectrum are a minority, so it is refreshing to read some dude that writes what he/she thinks.

The other thing I don't understand is the way you keep on saying "haters"..... I don't think that anybody really hates the album, it's not their liking, that is all.

I'm also still waiting for a good argument about how this review is biased.

I've had a good long look at his favorite bands list and I don't see anything in the progressive or melodic metal genres yet all the sudden he's writing a review for the latest Kamelot cd? What's wrong with that picture. It's obvious he doesn't like the band or the genre and now everyone who clicks on that particular cd has to see this giant 5 for a score which is totally unjustified and TOTALLY BIASED.

Man I cannot wait to review one of the "extreme" fanboys favorite cds. This is going to be good.
20.09.2010 - 21:32
ErnilEnNaur
Account deleted
Written by ponderer on 20.09.2010 at 21:12

I've had a good long look at his favorite bands list and I don't see anything in the progressive or melodic metal genres yet all the sudden he's writing a review for the latest Kamelot cd? What's wrong with that picture. It's obvious he doesn't like the band or the genre and now everyone who clicks on that particular cd has to see this giant 5 for a score which is totally unjustified and TOTALLY BIASED.

Man I cannot wait to review one of the "extreme" fanboys favorite cds. This is going to be good.

Biased or not, the album is just not good. I am a huge fan of Kamelot, but everything they've done since Ghost Opera has been average.
20.09.2010 - 21:41
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
A while back I reviewed the latest Dark Tranquillity album but if you look through my band list you won't find many melodeath bands there. Does that make me unfit to review it? No, because before I arrived at my current taste in music I listened to every melodeath band under the sun for many years before finally getting bored of the genre due to repetition. Now I'd like to think I have an insight into melodeath and Gothenburg style of music because I can easily recognise when something is new, interesting or different and worthy of a positive review. Just because someone doesn't obsess over the style of music of the album they're reviewing, and consequently have a fave band list full of bands of a similar style, doesn't mean they aren't qualified. In fact showing you understand an album's style and history (which Daniel obviously does) without being an overt fan of the genre is the most qualified a person can be as far as I'm concerned and guarantees a pretty impartial review.
20.09.2010 - 21:46
ponderer

Written by Guest on 20.09.2010 at 21:41

A while back I reviewed the latest Dark Tranquillity album but if you look through my band list you won't find many melodeath bands there. Does that make me unfit to review it? No, because before I arrived at my current taste in music I listened to every melodeath band under the sun for many years before finally getting bored of the genre due to repetition. Now I'd like to think I have an insight into melodeath and Gothenburg style of music because I can easily recognise when something is new, interesting or different and worthy of a positive review. Just because someone doesn't obsess over the style of music of the album they're reviewing, and consequently have a fave band list full of bands of a similar style, doesn't mean they aren't qualified. In fact showing you understand an album's style and history (which Daniel obviously does) without being an overt fan of the genre is the most qualified a person can be as far as I'm concerned and guarantees a pretty impartial review.

If I had reviewed Nevermore's Obsidian Conspiracy the first days it came out I would have given it a 5 as mediocre. On the 3rd day I had finally listened to it enough times where it began to grow on me. By the end of the first week it was all I was listening to and couldn't get enough. I think it's easily one of the heaviest, most talented things they've done to date and I'd give it a 10 without hesitation. My point is that doing a review after a few days isn't giving the band a chance in hell. Listen to it a few times, give it a rest, pick it up again, so on and so forth repeat as needed until you fully understand what you are listening to. Daniell's review sounds like a kid who hates Kamelot, nothing more.
20.09.2010 - 21:54
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by ponderer on 20.09.2010 at 21:12

I've had a good long look at his favorite bands list and I don't see anything in the progressive or melodic metal genres yet all the sudden he's writing a review for the latest Kamelot cd?

Iron Maiden, Dream Theater, Opeth, Enslaved, Type O Negative, Candlemass, Tiamat, Mercyful Fate, Isole, System of A Down, Judas Priest, Dark Tranquillity, Katatonia, Alcest, Virgin Black

I'm sorry Ponderer, But I don't think you can really take "a good look" when you're so biased about bashing a review you don't like (oh the irony)... I mean, he even wrote Un-metal stuff too like Jean Michell Jarre (damn good electronica if you ask me)... I found plenty of non-extreme, melodic or progressive stuff there thus proving you should take a better look.

Written by ponderer on 20.09.2010 at 21:46

My point is that doing a review after a few days isn't giving the band a chance in hell. Listen to it a few times, give it a rest, pick it up again, so on and so forth repeat as needed until you fully understand what you are listening to. Daniell's review sounds like a kid who hates Kamelot, nothing more.

PLEASE, WHERE did he write that he just listened to the album a few times and reviewed it a couple of days later...
Also please give me reasons to why he hates the band when he already mentioned SEVERAL times that he LIKES most of Kamelot's discography. I'm sorry man, I can't really understand how you read (and translate) the texts that you read...
----
Rod, let me love you.
20.09.2010 - 22:02
Rating: 5
Daniell
_爱情_
That Ponderer guy is really entertaining He fails to notice that I stated several times that I really like Kamelot, I just happen not to like their latest release. Talk about blinded by prejudice...
20.09.2010 - 22:02
Angelic Storm
Melodious
@Mr. Doctor: Yep, his (the reviewer's) fave band's list only makes Ponderer's arguement all the more feeble. I mean, come on, System Of A Down? To the tr00 extreme metal crowd, they are nu metal, which is the bane of all underground elitist metalheads. lol Also, Dream Theater are both melodic AND progressive. Sorry, his review is not biased in the slightest, he just doesnt like the album very much.
20.09.2010 - 23:09
Rating: 6
WorpeX
Made of Metal
After reading the review and comments here I was expecting the average rating for this album to be really low (for Kamelot standards). Turns out its an 8.1, which is pretty good in my opinion. I enjoyed Ghost Opera, which is only .1 higher, so I'm sure i'll enjoy this also once I get it.
21.09.2010 - 02:29
Lovecraft
Account deleted
Quote:
Well, this year is kinda sucking... I've been disappointed by Gamma Ray then Angra and now Kamelot

True, but, look on the bright side, Blind Guardian's At The Edge Of Time is the best power metal release this year.
21.09.2010 - 04:24
Rating: 10
Amonisis

You all are crazy, this album is great
21.09.2010 - 06:33
Rating: 8
Wes

Consensus = new Kamelot its god awful.

You can have your opinion too.
21.09.2010 - 15:32
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Wes on 21.09.2010 at 06:33

Consensus = new Kamelot its god awful.

You can have your opinion too.

Apparently the consensus is like that on Metal Storm.

I don't know Kamelot really. The couple of songs I heard from them in the past make me not to check anything out by them completely.

But... everywhere I go and mags and such I read (even from sources that usually aren't too positive about Kamelot) this release gets very good reviews. Daniell's is the worst by far I have come across.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

21.09.2010 - 21:00
Rating: 5
BlankFile

Man i´ve tried once again and have listened to it again. All i can say is that half of the album, more or less, is quite listenable, but the rest of it really is forgettable. Way too much forgettable. I have listened to the Japanease version with an interesting bonus track "Thespian Drama". A nice instrumental song. Actually for me is one of the best tracks of the album. "The Great Pandemonium" "If Tomorrow Came" "The Hunter´s Season" "Once Upon the Time" and "The Thespian Drama" are good tracks, but the rest is boring and predictable. I´ve listened more than 10 times already, and my opinion is definitive. I mean even Simone Simons perfomance in this album, is quite vulgar and efortless really. Like she was doing a favour singing in this album... Nothing at all compared to the fabulous perfomances in Epica albums. This album is really uninspired and sloppy in lots of aspects in my opinion.
22.09.2010 - 00:10
Rating: 9
Rui Correia

Performance:8
Songwriting:6
Originality: 7
Production: 7

overall = 5,9
I am impressed with your math...
22.09.2010 - 00:19
Rating: 9
jess_lacrymosa

What I do hate about Kamelot "fans" lately is that everybody's opinion is sacred. Saying it's boring or bad as if it is the absolute truth...
COME ON
It's a taste thing, one likes it, the other doesn't.
Personally I really really like this album a lot, they're experimenting new things and I like it. In my opinion there are a lot of wonderful songs, I'm not fond of Necropolis for example but it's only one song.
I thank Kamelot for this album, I do love it and can't wait to see them live, singing the new songs!
----
What does the winter bring if not ye another spring?:)
Serenade-Kamelot
22.09.2010 - 05:40
Rating: 6
WorpeX
Made of Metal
Just got the album, and I hate to admit it... but this is really not as good as any of their previous releases. :/ First Kamelot album to disappoint me. Maybe, hopefully, it will get better after repeated listens. The first five songs are great, but once I got to House On a Hill it was like a road block. The rest bored me to death. T_T

Great Pandemonium is good and I also like The Zodiac, If Tomorrow Came and Hunter's Season a lot. The rest are so miserable I can barely even make it to the end of the album to hear Once Upon a Time, which is the only other worthwhile song.
22.09.2010 - 06:59
MeTalRea|istiK

They will come back..eventhough this is boring album but still have unique touch,marvellous riff,epic vocal etc..wake up kamelot..deliver us something killer (waiting for album like the fourth legacy back)

Hits total: 24426 | This month: 13