07. Tonight
08. Storms Of The Sea
09. Destiny
10. Revolution
11. Valerie
12. Death Of A Movie Star
13. Mistaken [bonus]

Additional info
Produced, recorded and mixed by Daniel Flores in Sound vs. Science Studio, Stockholm.
Mastered by Mats Lindfors at Cutting Room.

Staff review by
Jason W.
Rating:
Unabashedly proud of its huge production, ultra catchy melodies and commercial leanings, The Murder Of My Sweet's debut, Divanity, shows a band already on solid ground, ready to stand alongside even the most renowned symphonic metal and rock bands. They have it all in place, from a self-assured vocalist, synths and symphonic touches that can carry every song, and percussion that is dramatic and polished. Add in an air of film noir, courtesy of concepts taken from 1944's Murder, My Sweet, and an almost tangible feeling of warmth in each song, and already I'm pleasantly impressed.

Read more ››
published 05.10.2010 | Comments (9)

Found in 2 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 11   Visited by: 169 users
19.09.2010 - 04:06
Lovecraft
Account deleted
This album is okay. But, it sounds too mainstream.
19.09.2010 - 06:40
Rating: 9
Jason W.
Razorbliss
Written by Guest on 19.09.2010 at 04:06

Yes, I'd say that is the main complaint from a metal perspective I have, but still a good debut overall. I should add a review for this one, actually
----
"After silence that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." - Aldous Huxley
22.09.2010 - 00:47
Lovecraft
Account deleted
Written by Jason W. on 19.09.2010 at 06:40

Written by Guest on 19.09.2010 at 04:06

Yes, I'd say that is the main complaint from a metal perspective I have, but still a good debut overall. I should add a review for this one, actually

Yes, I agree that it is a good debut, plus it is also very catchy. Also, It'd be appreciated if you added one.

Btw, have you noticed that "Death Of A Movie Star" sounds very similar to "Frozen" by Within Temptation?
22.09.2010 - 04:09
Jason W.
Razorbliss
Written by Guest on 22.09.2010 at 00:47

Btw, have you noticed that "Death Of A Movie Star" sounds very similar to "Frozen" by Within Temptation?

I think the song you are referring to is "Mistaken", the bonus track from the download-only album versions I don't consider it outright copying, but it's certainly structured in the same, symphonic rock/metal way. I consider it the main boring song from The Murder Of My Sweet, mainly because it is more derivative, and severely limits Angelica's more interesting sound.

(Unfortunately, even on the amazon/itunes mp3-legal-download, "Mistaken" and "Death Of A Movie Star" have the track names switched - and since I also later bought the CD version without the bonus, it's quite obvious they are incorrectly listed online )

Btw, review on the way very soon
----
"After silence that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." - Aldous Huxley
22.09.2010 - 04:17
Lovecraft
Account deleted
Written by Jason W. on 22.09.2010 at 04:09

I think the song you are referring to is "Mistaken", the bonus track from the download-only album versions I don't consider it outright copying, but it's certainly structured in the same, symphonic rock/metal way. I consider it the main boring song from The Murder Of My Sweet, mainly because it is more derivative, and severely limits Angelica's more interesting sound.

(Unfortunately, even on the amazon/itunes mp3-legal-download, "Mistaken" and "Death Of A Movie Star" have the track names switched - and since I also later bought the CD version without the bonus, it's quite obvious they are incorrectly listed online )

My bad.
That explains it! I was wondering why the lyrics don't fit well with the song title. So "Death Of A Movie Star" is the longest song. Ok, thanks for correcting me.
22.09.2010 - 04:24
Jason W.
Razorbliss
Written by Guest on 22.09.2010 at 04:17

Written by Jason W. on 22.09.2010 at 04:09

My bad.
That explains it! I was wondering why the lyrics don't fit well with the song title. So "Death Of A Movie Star" is the longest song. Ok, thanks for correcting me.

Don't worry, you're not the only one who is making the mistake I'm sure! I noticed it because the band seemed very energetic about "Death Of A Movie Star" in the pre-release comments/interviews, about it being a very dynamic and long song - so I was looking out for it
----
01.01.2011 - 18:56
Rating: 8
Kropy

Musicianship: 9
Vocal: 8
Atmosphere: 8
Melody: 9
Originality: 7
Production: 8
CD Covers: 6

Best Songs:
03. Bleed Me Dry
06. One Bullet
04.01.2011 - 02:40
Susan
Smeghead
Loving this album so much more than I expected to! At first glance it appears to be the same old commercial "female fronted metal" but it becomes apparent very soon that this is anything but. Instead of timidly trying to please an audience, they are just playing the music they love, balls out, with complete confidence and honesty (and a huge chunk of not-caring-what-others-think). That makes it irresistible.
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
07.01.2011 - 00:11
Susan
Smeghead
Ha, I just realized that Johan Niemann (was with Therion for a long time) was their bass player! Too bad he left, but he definitely left us with a nice performance on Divanity. Heh, small world
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
22.08.2011 - 21:25
ErnilEnNaur
Account deleted
I found this to be above average, but not much. The riffing is boring, the symphonic elements are almost only there for the sake of being there. I hope they can do better with the follow-up, otherwise I don't think I'll be getting into them.
22.07.2012 - 13:25
Rating: 7
CyberSymphony
Ollie
I would pass on an album like this, but after hearing Bleed Me Dry I actually liked it. Very poppy, commercial song structures and quite unoriginal , but otherwise, super catchy and surprising solid. Between a 7 or 8.

Hits total: 8223 | This month: 17