08. Seven Faces
09. Bloodline
10. Deviance
11. War Zone
12. Scarstruck [2002 Collector's Edition bonus]
13. Here Comes The Pain
14. Payback
15. Addict [2002 Collector's Edition bonus]

What a difficult thing it is to review an album as controversial (in many ways) as "God Hates Us All" by the thrash gods, Slayer. Some people love it, others hate it. One thing is for sure: everybody has some sort of opinion on it. There are various arguments flying around concerning the quality of this album. Some people say that Slayer hung out with the nu-metal crowd too much, others that they aren't fast anymore... But come on guys, they are still Slayer!!!!! This album still rocks more than most other albums of 2001, even if it isn't the best Slayer album ever!

The music here contains everything a Slayer fan would want: some really fast tempos, Araya's screams and some trademark King/Hanneman guitar licks and solos. It also contains some additions to the standard Slayer sound: slower, hardcore'ish riffs, syncopating rhythms and low guitar tunings. What will certainly make some people happy is that the alleged nu-metal influence is almost non-existent here. Slayer's new sound is much closer to hardcore than it is to any Korn clone. The lower guitar tunings only seem to make the sound more sinister. And by the way, Araya doesn't rap on "Threshold", he just sings like he did before on such songs like "Read between the lies" from South Of Heaven. Overall, the album has much fewer nu-metal influences than expected. What is a surprise is actually the return to the old Slayer sound on many songs. Out of all, "Payback" is probably the most nostalgic track; reminding me in many ways of "Angel Of Death" (just listen to how both songs start). The album is also faster than its predecessor, "Diabolos In Musica". Overall, about half of the album is really fast and the other half slightly slower. This sort of ratio worked very well on "Seasons In The Abyss" and it works here too.

Musically "God Hates Us All" is a very good album. What really kicked my ass however, are the lyrics that Araya screams throughout the album. Without a doubt, they are some of the most sick and violent lyrics yet in a Slayer album! Ranging from direct anti-Christian images to typical thrash gore, all presented in a much more "street-wise" than ever way, they add a lot to the aggressiveness of the album, making the whole experience cathartic. And that is what in my eyes is the biggest advantage of "God Hates Us All"? It's been a while since Slayer presented us with something truly, relentlessly heavy. "Diabolos" was a much more sophisticated album; however, "God Hates Us All" is back to the visceral Slayer experience: pure rage in its rawest form. And that is what Slayer was all about from the beginning. That is why this album deserves a high score, even if some of the songs aren't as good as others.

In conclusion, "God Hates Us All" is a very good album, seeing Slayer back in a niche where they belong. They once again recorded an uncompromising set of hate anthems that are going to nail the attention of any real metal fan.

Written on 24.09.2003 by With Metal Storm since 2002, jupitreas has been subjecting the masses to his reviews for quite a while now. He lives in Warsaw, Poland, where he does his best to avoid prosecution for being so cool.

Comments

Comments: 32   Visited by: 371 users
26.08.2006 - 01:45
time-out-of-mind
Account deleted
good review, good album
18.11.2006 - 08:53
ChristianMetaler
Account deleted
The song "payback" is an embarrasement to music.
24.01.2007 - 05:05
Rating: 8
Rupert

Written by Guest on 18.11.2006 at 08:53

And why is this the case, exactly?
10.02.2007 - 15:39
Bob The Bastard
Account deleted
I wouldnt be a fan of it either.
03.03.2007 - 02:39
ThrashMetal_Rulz
Account deleted
It's a good album, not the best of Slayer but it's still cool.
12.12.2007 - 22:39
Magatouve
Account deleted
I think this is Slayer's worst album. Nu-metal influence is clear in this album and Araya almost raps on Threshold. U can't simply deny this by calling the album "hardcore'ish" or falsifying many fans who think that Araya was rapping, just because you are afraid of associating the thrash gods with nu-metal. Unfortunately, the thrash-gods, unlike the Christian God, are not infallible!!
12.12.2007 - 22:48
Rating: 7
Sunioj

I just don't like this album as much. Nothing to do with with core elements though. Thats never a problem for me.
12.12.2007 - 23:35
theflyingmachine

A 9? I'm not sure I'd give this album a 2. It fucking sucks. They need to retire.
13.12.2007 - 01:14
Warman
Erotic Stains
Good review.

I think it's an okay album, not bad... almost good.
Although Disciple of course is one of their best songs and certainly one of the best live songs ever!
----
13.12.2007 - 01:32
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
I wrote this review ages ago (when the album was released in fact, this review comes from the first version of MS!!!). I still think this is a great album. It was Slayer trying something else and succeeding at it. I still think the 'street-wise' hardcore vibe of this album is very well executed.
13.12.2007 - 02:37
BurbotsRevenge
Foetal Butchery
i dont think its a bad album, however it doesnt come close to their 80's stuff, but is better than Divine intervention etc...
----
Dark death metal from Sydney: https://www.facebook.com/GolgothanRemains
13.12.2007 - 05:04
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
This is probably their worst album, but I still like it. The song, War Zone, is one of my favorite Slayer songs.
07.03.2008 - 19:59
destroyah
supercharger
I still love this album. It's one of the best hate music records ever made. The hardcore elements are superb.

Fucking Slayer
----
About me:

"The best out of all the people ever" - Washington Post

"We abandoned Christ for Destroyah's love!" - The Watchtower

"Simply amazing!" - Rolling Stone
07.03.2008 - 23:39
BloodTears
ANA-thema
I love this album. I remember I liked it since the first time I listened to it, maybe because it was catchy, maybe because it made sense to me. I also like the lyrics, as usual with Slayer. Its not brilliant but its still very enjoyable indeed.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
16.05.2008 - 15:17
RimsenForce
Account deleted
Slayers most underrated album. Payback is a Top 3 Slayer classic!
29.06.2008 - 18:23
Rating: 9
Timelord

If any Slayer album has Nu-Metal influence I thinks its DIM. I really don't care either way. Good Music is just that GOOD. This album has good and bad. I don't like it when Tom screams his way to the finish line. Gets boring. God Send Death,New Faith,Bloodline and Here comes the Pain are ass kickin songs. The trend of using 7 string guitars is getting stupid. I actually know a band whose manager told them to switch to 7s or they wouldn't go anywhere. Basically told the guy to go re-learn his playing style WTF!! Anyway, GHUA at times seemed to be on the right track and others it was bland. It got alot of mixed response from people but live they seemed to pick the cherries from the album and it sounded good enough for me to see em twice that tour.
03.10.2008 - 20:31
BloodSplattered
Account deleted
"Payback" an embarrassment! they definitly could have done without that song. But Exile, Deciple, Threshold. OH MY FUCKIN GOD!!!!!!!! If Jesus was on the earth right now he would leave christianity for these guys!!:wall:
02.01.2009 - 00:22
Rating: 9
ms68

This album is one(best) of the masterpieces of slayer. this is first metal album i heard and after 6 years i still say this is their best and surely tom araya's best influential work. i will try to write a review for this album and say why it's their best.
----
The more you eat, the more you shit
No matter what you eat, it all turns to shit
05.01.2009 - 15:31
Rating: 10
Justice

I love this album more than any album of the band
the songs "Bloodline" & "disciple" are my favorie
08.04.2009 - 15:15
Rating: 4
Elio
Red Nightmare
Probably their worst. Or at least slightly btter than the previous.
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
08.04.2009 - 17:29
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Disciple is a song that really rules. this album is good but nothing more imo. the review is also good!
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
15.06.2009 - 09:23
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
Written by ms68 on 02.01.2009 at 00:22

This album is one(best) of the masterpieces of slayer. this is first metal album i heard and after 6 years i still say this is their best and surely tom araya's best influential work. i will try to write a review for this album and say why it's their best.

Same thing to me.
Man, this album simply rocks, its hard to choose the WORST songs, since they all are perfect or have great moments. The vocal style is better than never, amazing voice, couldn't imagine it better. ''Disciple'' of course is the killer opening and the best song in my opinion.

''Exile'', ''Scarstruck'' and ''Here comes the pain'' are also great. The worst song is really ''Bloodline'', not because is the most accessible song they've ever made, but because its boring.
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
17.06.2009 - 07:32
terrorist

Yeah.this album is great.I realy don't know why people are complaining about this album.I can even say that this is their best album.Every song is great,the sound is great so if this is not thrash enough to someone then they are not thrashers.
----
Will the ones who live after our end
Worship the goddamn cross again?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnlG0h7YN_8&feature=related
02.12.2009 - 03:45
symbolic_acts

For me this is definitely the best album by them, in terms of vocals, drumming and catchy riffs, the version with Scarstruck and Addict is the best, both great songs that add to the already great set of songs.

I don't care if they used 7 string guitars, some people call this nu-metal, no way not even

Christ Illusion and World Painted Blood are both great albums, but for me this one tops them

Reign in Blood, South of Heaven and Seasons in the Abyss are some of my favorite Slayer albums, but this one never ceases to keep me listening

For me theres maybe one or two weaker songs on the album but overall a very solid effort and I think bloodlines and payback are both fantastic songs
26.01.2010 - 17:00
Thrash del Sur

I like it, it's not the best album but I think is cool, but you have to realize Threshold is rap metal, I enjoy this song with no complaints.
26.01.2010 - 17:23
Slayer666

Written by Guest on 18.11.2006 at 08:53

Huh? Why? It's not half-bad, catchy and hardcore.
PAYBACK'S A BITCH, MOTHERFUCKER!!
04.02.2010 - 21:32
F.O.A.D
Account deleted
Why does everyone hate this album its awesome!
31.08.2010 - 05:25
slay_tallica

GOD HATES US ALLL
27.09.2010 - 23:51
ProjectEndgame
Account deleted
This album is awesome, but my problem was that when I pick up a Slayer album, I wanna hear something relatively fast. I only got that from Payback and Disciple. Other than that, it was heavy, had great solos and the lyrics have gotten more intense.
28.09.2010 - 02:34
I_Die_Often

I can't believe I never commented on this album!
This is my favorite Slayer album, Bloodlines my favorite song.
I gave this a 10! (and the two after it a 6 each...)
Bring back Paul!!!! LOL
----
Old enough to be your Daddy... speaking of which... you look familiar... do I know your mother???

Hits total: 16214 | This month: 18