08 Elvis Presley
07 Prince
06 Jimi Hendrix
05 Bob Dylan
04 Rolling Stones
03 Led Zeppelin
02 Michael Jackson
01 The Beatles

This list is made after interviewing artists of all genres; don't take the list too seriously, but let's discuss who are you glad to see in the list, who do you think does NOT belong there, who do you think is missing from the list and deserved to be there.
14.11.2010 - 20:52
Fat & Sassy!

Written by Empress on 14.11.2010 at 16:52

Sly and the family stones wouldn't be on the list either.

Odd that you single them out. Why not? I'd say they were a very important funk/soul band.

... it is a bit odd that they are higher on the list than Funkadelic though.
15.11.2010 - 02:17
Empress

Written by Fat & Sassy! on 14.11.2010 at 20:52

Written by Empress on 14.11.2010 at 16:52

Sly and the family stones wouldn't be on the list either.

Odd that you single them out. Why not? I'd say they were a very important funk/soul band.

... it is a bit odd that they are higher on the list than Funkadelic though.

Yeah if I wasn't still pissed off at them, they were one of the bands that created the funky/soul sound but in the old days, before computers and ticket master, we would have to stand in long lines to see a concert. Freezing, rainy, cold or blistering heat for sometimes hours to see a concert, you where all excited, adrenaline pumping and Sly and the family stone was a "NO Show"...strung out on heroine so all of the concert goers got screwed out of their money and nothing to show for it. After time they were so noted for "no show" at a concert, they where done. They actually could have had a long and profitable career but no, heroine was more important.
15.11.2010 - 03:24
Fat & Sassy!

Written by Empress on 15.11.2010 at 02:17

Yeah if I wasn't still pissed off at them, they were one of the bands that created the funky/soul sound but in the old days, before computers and ticket master, we would have to stand in long lines to see a concert. Freezing, rainy, cold or blistering heat for sometimes hours to see a concert, you where all excited, adrenaline pumping and Sly and the family stone was a "NO Show"...strung out on heroine so all of the concert goers got screwed out of their money and nothing to show for it. After time they were so noted for "no show" at a concert, they where done. They actually could have had a long and profitable career but no, heroine was more important.

I did not know this! That's a bit fucked up. And all you wanted to do was, ahem, *dance to the music*.
15.11.2010 - 14:45
Empress

snicker, yah....I have other concert stories but that would be on a different topic...George Jones was another noted for "No show" he liked to drink himself into a stupor. Although we actually got to see him on stage only because they switched his place with the first start up band as he was so drunk by then they didn't think he could take his headline place.
16.11.2010 - 01:04
IronAngel

What it's based on is interviews of artists, according the the OP. The lack of specific standards is what gives this list some legitimacy, in fact: it's an empirical study in what a certain group of people, in this case some mainstream artists of various pop genres (clearly no indie or jazz artists), think to be great music.
27.11.2010 - 08:26
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
It kind of pisses me off to see Green Day on there. Sure they were big, but frankly they just took The Ramones style and ran with it. People have a hard time drawing the line between "famous" and "important". Contrary to popular belief, I don't think those two words should be synonymous.

I'm glad to see Justin Timberlake on there though, Futuresex/Lovesounds was actually a pretty creative album comparatively speaking.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
28.11.2010 - 08:18
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
For anyone complaining, it's VH-1? what did you expect?

Cocteau Twins? really? i grew up on alternative... they weren't that important.

reading the whines is almost as funny as reading the list.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
28.11.2010 - 13:02
Alex Smith

Aerosmith had to be in the list
28.11.2010 - 13:18
IronAngel

Written by BitterCOld on 28.11.2010 at 08:18

Well, isn't the point of this list whining about what should be on the list?

It's not a list of the most important artists. It's a list of the "greatest". So of course Cocteau Twins should be on it, because they're the greatest dream pop act in history! Seriously though, a huge deal of modern alternative harks back to them. They're a niche band, but in that niche of dream pop, shoegaze, and other ethereal rock acts, they're pretty fundamental. I daresay that without them, Sonic Youth and The Cure, the current scene would be pretty different.
28.11.2010 - 18:31
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Written by IronAngel on 28.11.2010 at 13:18

Written by BitterCOld on 28.11.2010 at 08:18

Well, isn't the point of this list whining about what should be on the list?

It's not a list of the most important artists. It's a list of the "greatest". So of course Cocteau Twins should be on it, because they're the greatest dream pop act in history! Seriously though, a huge deal of modern alternative harks back to them. They're a niche band, but in that niche of dream pop, shoegaze, and other ethereal rock acts, they're pretty fundamental. I daresay that without them, Sonic Youth and The Cure, the current scene would be pretty different.

i think you significantly overestimate their importance based upon your personal tastes.

but then again, that's what pretty much everyone does on this site.

the Twins were significant enough to make the cut on to 120 MInutes Dual-CD set, "Never Mind The Mainstream" back in the day, but in no way wielded the clout or presence of Sonic Youth (let alone The Cure).
----

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
28.11.2010 - 20:49
IronAngel

You're probably right. But I dunno, they seem to have pioneered the sounds of many modern dream pop acts on albums like Treasure and Victorialand, nevermind the latter was never very popular.

But really, my point wasn't about causal signifigance. It was about greatness, which is of course pretty subjective. Cocteau Twins are a band I look back on, and go "Whoa, they were making stuff like that?" It was a long time before anyone did anything quite similar. Either way, the distinct lack of several "alternative" genres struck me as odd, including dream pop and shoegaze, but also very mainstream stuff like the trip-hop of Portishead and Massive Attack. This list is supposedly the result of a poll to "artists of all genres" but I bet that constitutes as pop, rock, metal, R&B and maybe country.

Not that I mind, I'm just exercising my power to be subjective.
14.02.2011 - 01:27
Void_Eater
Account deleted
Any greatest band ever list without mention of Overkill, Megadeth, Helstar, Malevolent Creation, Destroyer 666, Dismember, or Immortal is a complete failure. I also found it funny that Metallica was in there. I mean I like them, and I'd put them in my 100 greatest artist list, but... I dunno, It just seems like every mainstream music organization completely ignores metal, except that they have to kiss Metallica's ass wherever they go. Cuz they're popular, and, to the mainstream, record sales are the ultimate measure of musical skill. Although they did have Sabbath and Priest, which I don't see worshiped nearly as much as Metallica. Still, sad to see three great bands on the same list as Timerlake, Beyonce, and Eminem.

And The Beatles were #1! Gasp! Who would have guessed?... :
15.02.2011 - 05:39
soadbyob
Account deleted
I actually watched this, for the most part I agree, althoughit could have used more metal! Slayer, Maiden, etc.
21.06.2011 - 21:34
Metal_4Ever

EMINEM 79
Sly & The Family Stone 38!!
21.06.2011 - 21:55
JD
Account deleted
14 Nirvana
22.06.2011 - 19:47
Mattybu

Almost threw up when I saw #1...
27.06.2011 - 18:02
@gent_-_orange

Written by Guest on 21.06.2011 at 21:55

14 Nirvana

I like Nirvana but I think they should be way lower on this list. They are a bit overrated if you ask me... Sure they helped make grunge as big as it is but Putting them at number 14 is a bit of a stretch... Just my opinion though.
27.06.2011 - 18:12
JD
Account deleted
Written by @gent_-_orange on 27.06.2011 at 18:02

14 Nirvana

I like Nirvana but I think they should be way lower on this list. They are a bit overrated if you ask me... Sure they helped make grunge as big as it is but Putting them at number 14 is a bit of a stretch... Just my opinion though.

If its up to me i will put Nirvana or AiC in the 4# place, i like Grunge man.
27.06.2011 - 18:24
@gent_-_orange

Written by Guest on 27.06.2011 at 18:12

14 Nirvana

So do I but I still think they are a bit highly placed. But to be fair no-ones top 100 list will be exactly the same. But I think this list sucks. partly because Justin Timberlake is on it ... I mean how by any standard (apart from amount of albums sold) can he be considered one of the greatest artists of all time?
27.06.2011 - 18:31
JD
Account deleted
Written by @gent_-_orange on 27.06.2011 at 18:24

Written by Guest on 27.06.2011 at 18:12

14 Nirvana

So do I but I still think they are a bit highly placed. But to be fair no-ones top 100 list will be exactly the same. But I think this list sucks. partly because Justin Timberlake is on it ... I mean how by any standard (apart from amount of albums sold) can he be considered one of the greatest artists of all time?

Who? Justin Timberlake? of course not, 75% of the artists on this list SUCK, and yes, i always hate to agree that Nirvana is an overrated band, but i like em anyway
27.06.2011 - 21:15
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Wow. malevolent creation, one of the top 100 artists of all time... really?

i don't think they'd crack the DM top 50... as someone who has been into DM for 20 years now, i've never felt the urge to rush down to the record store and elbow someone in the head to pick up one of their albums. or just pick up one of their albums at all, for that matter.

and, lets face it, in the scheme of things (all modern music), DM is just a blip on the radar... and that blip was 15 years ago.
----