09. Renewal
10. Endings And Continuations
11. Gateways [Orchestral version] [Limited Edition/iTunes bonus]
12. The Demiurge Molecule [Orchestral version] [iTunes bonus]
13. Dimmu Borgir [Orchestral version] [bonus]
14. Perfect Strangers [Deep Purple cover] [Hot Topic bonus]
15. D.M.D.R. [GGFH cover] [Hot Topic bonus]
+ Gateways [video] [Digipak/Hot Topic bonus]

Dimmu Borgir sucks. Dimmu Borgir are sellouts. Dimmu Borgir have a stupid image and idiotic videos. Dimmu Borgir kick members out with no explanation. Dimmu Borgir is only about squeezing cash from stupid kids who are naive enough to buy their albums. They suck, they suck, they suck!

If you believe that any of the above statements are true, you may as well stop reading now. This review will not take into consideration anything other than music. In other words, if you expect a biased review aimed against one of the most popular extreme bands, you'll be better off helping your father cut the lawn or doing dishes for your mum, because you won't find what you're looking for here.

I don't know about you, but I got fooled by Shagrath and his cronies. When I listened to “Gateways,” the first single from Abrahadabra, I was appalled. It seemed strange, to say the least. You may easily guess that I wasn't exactly dying to hear Abrahadabra. I expected more songs like “Gateways,” but I didn't get any more. What I got was a solid piece of extreme music with an abundance of good arrangements and embellishments which make for a satisfying listen. Even “Gateways” grew on me, because it indeed is a good song.

From epic and lightning fast “Born Treacherous,” through incredibly catchy “Gateways,” till grandiose “Endings and Continuations,” this time Dimmu Borgir delivers. Their style hasn't changed that much, but their old ideas mixed with a few new things make for a very convincing whole. If you want good old blasting, go for the aforementioned “Born Treacherous” or “Ritualist.” If you are fond of orchestrations and epic scope of songs, listen to “Endings and Continuations” or “Chess With the Abyss.” If you're keen on slower tempos and some decent guitar solos, “Dimmu Borgir” and “Renewal” are for you. Yes, guitar solos, played with talent and knowledge, flawlessly blending into the songs. Variety is the spice of life they say. Variety is what you will find here. An occasional intro, bass interlude, female vocals, they're all cherries on top of this unexpectedly tasty cake.

I've always thought that the marriage of extreme metal with mainstream must end in tears. Thornography or Cold Lake prove me right, but Abrahadabra proves me wrong. While undoubtedly accessible and easy to digest, it simultaneously retains a necessary dose of aggression, speed and heaviness. In their own words:

Be the broken or the breaker
Be the giver or the undertaker
Unlock and open the door
Be the healer or the breaker
The keys are in your hands
Realize you are the source of all created
Of your own master plan

Dimmu Borgir might have gone astray on some of their recent albums, but now I'm sure they found their own master plan. The door is wide open, and the sky is the limit.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 7
Production: 9

Written on 23.09.2010 by Writes overly honest and totally subjective reviews when fancy strikes him. Which is not often. Which is probably good, all things considered.

Guest review by
Windrider
Rating:
If you like Abrahadabra by Dimmu Borgir you can make two great mistakes like I did. Let me warn you! The first thing is listening to classical music like Mozart or Haydn. It won't take more than a single stroke to realize that all the so-called great orchestrations are simply nothing in comparison to the dead composers. The second big fail is listening to real and raw black metal. To quote the famous snake, if you do something of that, "your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil." This album is neither anything of black metal nor of classical compositions.

Read more ››
published 28.01.2011 | Comments (23)

Guest review by
TheH2K
Rating:
Mustis has departed, and no ICS Vortex clean vocals for the first time since 1999. Can Dimmu Borgir escape from the massive attack of the fans this time?

Traditionally, the album starts with an instrumental piece; however, except for some seconds, it is not appealing at all and far away from masterpieces like "Fear And Wonder", "Perfection Or Vanity" or even "Det Nye Riket".

Read more ››
published 04.06.2020 | Comments (0)

Comments page 2 / 5

Comments: 127   [ 2 ignored ]   Visited by: 1110 users
24.09.2010 - 06:13
RavenKing

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 23.09.2010 at 23:36

If one listens to this expecting it to be black metal it is a very bad black metal album. Simple. Just like when going into it thinking it will be a death metal or thrash metal album thwn it is a bad death and thrash metal album.
Why I said that about black metal is because Dimmu Borgir gets mislabelled as black metal very often because of their past.

Indeed. Lots of people believe Dimmu Borgir is Black Metal, while it's not BM at all currently. I would not even call this melodic or symphonic Black Metal. Too commercial and overpolished. In some way, I find Dimmu Borgir more 'pop-ish' and oriented towards the mainstream than many Powermetal bands.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
24.09.2010 - 07:35
the stranger

So it seems they took it where they left it seven years ago, one of this days I'll give it a try.
24.09.2010 - 08:17
Sworn

Stop confusing people telling that Dimmu Borgir is a Black Metal band because they are not. Dimmu Borgir is a Symphonic Extreme Metal band, that's all.
The album is not that bad as I expected but not great in my opinion.
24.09.2010 - 08:33
Rating: 8
Ph0eNiX
Fire from Above
I liked this album a bunch, not gonna lie.
(I do not care if this sounds wierd to say or not)
It's like they took up post Enthroned Darkness Triumphant or they altered time, went to an alternate universe where things are sorta the same, came back with "Alternate universe's Dimmu Borgir" album and released it.
----
24.09.2010 - 10:10
MeTalRea|istiK

Its grow on me after 5 time listen to it..
24.09.2010 - 10:49
Daniell
_爱情_
Exactly.If one is willing to leave bias behind and listen to this album with an open mind, they will find it good. The last DB album I really enjoyed was Spiritual Black Dimensions, so I had no high hopes for this one. But giving the band another chance paid off.
24.09.2010 - 11:13
Warman
Erotic Stains
I booked this album and expect it to come in the mail on it's release date. I had no expectations after "In Sorte Diaboli", but after this review I must say I have some now.
----
24.09.2010 - 12:19
Kamilbolt
Account deleted
Dimmu Borgir IS black metal, because most elements of their music are usual for this genre and their popularity/mainstream style shouldn't have any meaning in rating their music.

Btw. some advise to all DB haters:
If you don't like Dimmu Borgir, than don't listen their music and don't speak about them because otherwise you are making poseurs and butt-heads with yourself, not DB.
24.09.2010 - 12:26
Heissayen

Kickass album, IMO. Better than ISD, DB are now in the correct way!
24.09.2010 - 12:27
Daniell
_爱情_
Funnily enough there is very little hate in the comments, which surprises me. Apparently, Dimmu haters decided not to post
24.09.2010 - 12:39
Kamilbolt
Account deleted
Written by Daniell on 24.09.2010 at 12:27

Funnily enough there is very little hate in the comments, which surprises me. Apparently, Dimmu haters decided not to post

Maybe because reviewer has put most of those haters to shame
24.09.2010 - 12:44
Merchant of Doom

I was listening to the album on MySpace.... Renewal doesn't seem that slower tempo to me! It's one of the fastest tracks! Unless they mislabelled the song on MySpace... I'm not a big Dimmu fan, but this is a decent effort...
24.09.2010 - 13:14
Rating: 5
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Guest on 24.09.2010 at 12:19

Dimmu Borgir IS black metal, because most elements of their music are usual for this genre and their popularity/mainstream style shouldn't have any meaning in rating their music.

Nope. Dimmu are symphonic extreme nowadays. Orchestra at all times with some raw but not what I'd call very heavy riffs which don't really fit black metal.

Anyway, currently listening to it.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
24.09.2010 - 13:15
Dark Blood
The Avenger
I gotta try this. Even though I loved DCA, I must confess I wasn't too excited about this album, specially after watching (and listening) to Gateways and its horrifying female vocals.
Thanks for the review.
----
It is humanity who must pay homage to the greatness of the Universe... not the Universe to the human narcissism.
24.09.2010 - 13:58
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
Honestly, this is mediocre. I listened to it last night and just to refresh my memory I also listened to all their other albums and there is simply no comparison. Theyve lost everything that made them really good. And tbh Dimmu Borgir with no atmosphere and no symphonic elements, uninspired drumming and "not HUGE" just doesnt seem like the band of the same quality. I have a feeling this whole "new direction" theyre going for just ended up sounding like they made little effort to put out a good album.

And btw Im not a "Dimmu Hater", for any of those who cant stand negative feedback. Im just not at all impressed.
24.09.2010 - 14:06
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Daniell on 24.09.2010 at 12:27

I suspect had the review been highly negative, with a poor score given to it, there'd have been the usual mudslinging by now.

It is funny that in the threads about the single and video, the haters were out in force. Most of them are probably on vacation now or something. lol

Will be listening to this soon. xD
24.09.2010 - 14:44
RavenKing

Written by Angelic Storm on 24.09.2010 at 14:06

It is funny that in the threads about the single and video, the haters were out in force. Most of them are probably on vacation now or something. lol

In my case, I have nothing more to add, apart from this band sucks balls.

The first paragraph of the review summarizes my thoughts about Dimmu Borgir nicely.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
24.09.2010 - 14:47
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by RavenKing on 24.09.2010 at 14:44
In my case, I have nothing more to add, apart from this band sucks balls.

The first paragraph of the review summarizes my thoughts about Dimmu Borgir nicely.

I had no doubts about that.

I have actually never heard Dimmu Borgir before, so Im not going into listening to this album with any preconceived notions about how it "should" sound. Listening now...
24.09.2010 - 15:07
Rating: 10
muska

To every commentator here that can't look beyond his own nose i can only suggest to expand your horizons a bit and stop clinging to society's created norms, because that's what makes a mainstream band of sheep. if you don't like the album fair enough, but if don't know or can't explain why then stop trolling here and go listen to something you like, napalm death perhaps - here's a band that's never progressed and might be what you're looking for... on a personal note, the more i listen to the album the more i like it and wish more bands would experiment
24.09.2010 - 15:17
Daniell
_爱情_
Written by Merchant of Doom on 24.09.2010 at 12:44

I was listening to the album on MySpace.... Renewal doesn't seem that slower tempo to me! It's one of the fastest tracks! Unless they mislabelled the song on MySpace... I'm not a big Dimmu fan, but this is a decent effort...

Or it was me who got track titles mixed up
24.09.2010 - 16:31
Rating: 7
Elyar S.
Gud är Död
My favorites are Gateways and that fucking Deep Purple cover.
----
Kiss my ass if you dont like me, I dont care.
24.09.2010 - 16:35
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Elyar S. on 24.09.2010 at 16:31

Now that's how you attack an album.
----
24.09.2010 - 16:38
Elyar S.
Gud är Död
Written by vezzy on 24.09.2010 at 16:35

Written by Elyar S. on 24.09.2010 at 16:31

Now that's how you attack an album.

what do you mean by attack?
----
24.09.2010 - 16:52
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Elyar S. on 24.09.2010 at 16:38

Okay, criticize.

Because saying the best tracks are the one that most hated and a cover song is rather demeaning, but humorous.
----
24.09.2010 - 17:07
Elyar S.
Gud är Död
Written by vezzy on 24.09.2010 at 16:52

Written by Elyar S. on 24.09.2010 at 16:38

Okay, criticize.

Because saying the best tracks are the one that most hated and a cover song is rather demeaning, but humorous.

No no, Im not against this album. Its a 7 for me maybe and I really like those songs and to be honest I just listened to the album just for 2 times and its so less to vote or talk about it in general
----
24.09.2010 - 23:24
ANGEL REAPER

What is next step after kicking out bass and keyboards/synth players?

Making an album with symphonic orchestra

I still got no chance to hear this new album but i hope is better than the last .....
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
25.09.2010 - 00:39
spiritofvengence

Finally a decent review
----
I'd rather like what I like because I like it, despite if everyone hates me for it, then like what I hate just to be accepted by you.
25.09.2010 - 01:23
Stuart
MiseryKing
Its a decent album, but its exactly what i expected from dimmu, didn't push any boundaries or anything, in the way that Puritancial Euphoric Misanthropia, for example, took a huge leap from their previous albums.
25.09.2010 - 01:31
Stuart
MiseryKing
I will be honest, i really hate the song dimmu borgir.... it sounds like a fucking power metal band.
25.09.2010 - 01:32
Elyar S.
Gud är Död
Written by Stuart on 25.09.2010 at 01:31

I will be honest, i really hate the song dimmu borgir.... it sounds like a fucking power metal band.

Im agree thats not a good song.
----

Hits total: 34962 | This month: 22