09. Renewal
10. Endings And Continuations
11. Gateways [Orchestral version] [Limited Edition/iTunes bonus]
12. The Demiurge Molecule [Orchestral version] [iTunes bonus]
13. Dimmu Borgir [Orchestral version] [bonus]
14. Perfect Strangers [Deep Purple cover] [Hot Topic bonus]
15. D.M.D.R. [GGFH cover] [Hot Topic bonus]
+ Gateways [video] [Digipak/Hot Topic bonus]

Dimmu Borgir sucks. Dimmu Borgir are sellouts. Dimmu Borgir have a stupid image and idiotic videos. Dimmu Borgir kick members out with no explanation. Dimmu Borgir is only about squeezing cash from stupid kids who are naive enough to buy their albums. They suck, they suck, they suck!

If you believe that any of the above statements are true, you may as well stop reading now. This review will not take into consideration anything other than music. In other words, if you expect a biased review aimed against one of the most popular extreme bands, you'll be better off helping your father cut the lawn or doing dishes for your mum, because you won't find what you're looking for here.

I don't know about you, but I got fooled by Shagrath and his cronies. When I listened to “Gateways,” the first single from Abrahadabra, I was appalled. It seemed strange, to say the least. You may easily guess that I wasn't exactly dying to hear Abrahadabra. I expected more songs like “Gateways,” but I didn't get any more. What I got was a solid piece of extreme music with an abundance of good arrangements and embellishments which make for a satisfying listen. Even “Gateways” grew on me, because it indeed is a good song.

From epic and lightning fast “Born Treacherous,” through incredibly catchy “Gateways,” till grandiose “Endings and Continuations,” this time Dimmu Borgir delivers. Their style hasn't changed that much, but their old ideas mixed with a few new things make for a very convincing whole. If you want good old blasting, go for the aforementioned “Born Treacherous” or “Ritualist.” If you are fond of orchestrations and epic scope of songs, listen to “Endings and Continuations” or “Chess With the Abyss.” If you're keen on slower tempos and some decent guitar solos, “Dimmu Borgir” and “Renewal” are for you. Yes, guitar solos, played with talent and knowledge, flawlessly blending into the songs. Variety is the spice of life they say. Variety is what you will find here. An occasional intro, bass interlude, female vocals, they're all cherries on top of this unexpectedly tasty cake.

I've always thought that the marriage of extreme metal with mainstream must end in tears. Thornography or Cold Lake prove me right, but Abrahadabra proves me wrong. While undoubtedly accessible and easy to digest, it simultaneously retains a necessary dose of aggression, speed and heaviness. In their own words:

Be the broken or the breaker
Be the giver or the undertaker
Unlock and open the door
Be the healer or the breaker
The keys are in your hands
Realize you are the source of all created
Of your own master plan

Dimmu Borgir might have gone astray on some of their recent albums, but now I'm sure they found their own master plan. The door is wide open, and the sky is the limit.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 7
Production: 9

Written on 23.09.2010 by Writes overly honest and totally subjective reviews when fancy strikes him. Which is not often. Which is probably good, all things considered.

Guest review by
Windrider
Rating:
If you like Abrahadabra by Dimmu Borgir you can make two great mistakes like I did. Let me warn you! The first thing is listening to classical music like Mozart or Haydn. It won't take more than a single stroke to realize that all the so-called great orchestrations are simply nothing in comparison to the dead composers. The second big fail is listening to real and raw black metal. To quote the famous snake, if you do something of that, "your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil." This album is neither anything of black metal nor of classical compositions.

Read more ››
published 28.01.2011 | Comments (23)

Guest review by
TheH2K
Rating:
Mustis has departed, and no ICS Vortex clean vocals for the first time since 1999. Can Dimmu Borgir escape from the massive attack of the fans this time?

Traditionally, the album starts with an instrumental piece; however, except for some seconds, it is not appealing at all and far away from masterpieces like "Fear And Wonder", "Perfection Or Vanity" or even "Det Nye Riket".

Read more ››
published 04.06.2020 | Comments (0)

Comments page 3 / 5

Comments: 127   [ 2 ignored ]   Visited by: 1110 users
25.09.2010 - 01:55
Diablos
Account deleted
There is really nothing to complain about on this album. Go listen to britney spears or something like that if you don't like this album. then try listening to and judging the album again. is it still bad, a piece of shit or not worth crap?
I have heard a lot off metal bands that are good but still below this Dimmu album in quality
25.09.2010 - 02:25
Rating: 7
Elyar S.
Gud är Död
Written by Guest on 25.09.2010 at 01:55

There is really nothing to complain about on this album. Go listen to britney spears or something like that if you don't like this album. then try listening to and judging the album again. is it still bad, a piece of shit or not worth crap?
I have heard a lot off metal bands that are good but still below this Dimmu album in quality

Read ppl's comments! almost all of us plus reviewer have said that its a good album and the haters are hidden yet because of the first paragraph of the review lol.
----
Kiss my ass if you dont like me, I dont care.
25.09.2010 - 02:30
RavenKing

This comment sounds to me somewhat like "It's metal, so it's good". Just because something is labeled as metal doesn't mean it's any good. I find it quite silly when people bring up the stupid argument of "if you don't like this, you're a pussy and go listen to Britney Spears". Totally irrelevant.
Tons of metal music sucks ass.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
25.09.2010 - 02:37
Diablos
Account deleted
Written by RavenKing on 25.09.2010 at 02:30

This comment sounds to me somewhat like "It's metal, so it's good". Just because something is labeled as metal doesn't mean it's any good. I find it quite silly when people bring up the stupid argument of "if you don't like this, you're a pussy and go listen to Britney Spears". Totally irrelevant.
Tons of metal music sucks ass.

All metal being good was not my point at all. just like in everything else there is a lot of crappy metal out there. My point was that this is a good album, and if someone thinks it is a piece of shit(most without listening to it first), then they seriously have to start using their brains again and think about this album compared to a lot of the other metal music out there. this might not be the best Dimmu album created, but it is still way above many of the other good bands out there, and it's still high quality.
25.09.2010 - 03:07
Rating: 8
RockeRoy
I like it very much, even think Gateways is cool.
----
You found god? If nobody claims him in thirty days, he's yours

Walk with me in hell
25.09.2010 - 03:08
RavenKing
Written by Guest on 25.09.2010 at 02:37

All metal being good was not my point at all. just like in everything else there is a lot of crappy metal out there.

Fine, then. I just have the feeling sometimes people tend to believe everything is good as long as it's metal. Sorry if I misunderstood your words.
----
25.09.2010 - 03:41
marzepka87
Written by muska on 24.09.2010 at 15:07

To every commentator here that can't look beyond his own nose i can only suggest to expand your horizons a bit and stop clinging to society's created norms, because that's what makes a mainstream band of sheep. if you don't like the album fair enough, but if don't know or can't explain why then stop trolling here and go listen to something you like, napalm death perhaps - here's a band that's never progressed and might be what you're looking for... on a personal note, the more i listen to the album the more i like it and wish more bands would experiment

Thank You Sir, I have to agree, it's like Dimmu has experimented with different styles of music and it will not be the last, and Abrahadabra is the new chapter for Dimmu, and I'll stand by them until they decide to do Pop metal pr some kind of electro trance.
25.09.2010 - 03:51
RavenKing
Written by marzepka87 on 25.09.2010 at 03:41

Thank You Sir, I have to agree, it's like Dimmu has experimented with different styles of music and it will not be the last, and Abrahadabra is the new chapter for Dimmu, and I'll stand by them until they decide to do Pop metal pr some kind of electro trance.

Experimentation and quality are two totally different things. Some people seem to believe experimentation is always a good thing. They forget it often lead to the worst crap a band ever released. The shittiest albums are usually the result of failed experimentation.
----
25.09.2010 - 09:06
kingeryck
Anytime a band tries anything even a little different, hardcore "fans" (aka Metal Snobs) throw a hissy fit. "OMFG they sold out!!!" God forbid they do something other than make the same album over and over!? Maybe they did want to have more success.. maybe they'd like to be able to pay their damn rent. Maybe they just want to try something a little different. God, how horrible. Until they start making pop albums, just deal with it. Don't like it? Don't buy it. Listen to the older albums and brood in the knowledge that you are so much better than them with all of the successful albums you've made.
25.09.2010 - 10:56
Kamilbolt
Account deleted
So, the war began
25.09.2010 - 13:02
Stuart
MiseryKing
Written by RavenKing on 25.09.2010 at 03:51

Experimentation and quality are two totally different things. Some people seem to believe experimentation is always a good thing. They forget it often lead to the worst crap a band ever released. The shittiest albums are usually the result of failed experimentation.

Just look at St. Anger.
25.09.2010 - 13:09
Stuart
MiseryKing
Actually, the strange thing about this album. I have read it was supposed to be released on 24 sept in germany and 27 sept in the rest of europe. I bought a copy of this album in my local chain music store in London on 18 sept. I stuck it in my computer to load onto Itunes and cddb music data base didn't even recognise the disc. how bizarre.
25.09.2010 - 13:24
Rating: 4
Windrider
Raureif
Good review, I'd just given it in all points even one point more, it's really better than I thought!
25.09.2010 - 14:28
Diablos
Account deleted
Written by Stuart on 25.09.2010 at 13:02

Just look at St. Anger.

St.Anger? just look at everything after Black album.....The latest album was a step back in the right direction again, though.
25.09.2010 - 14:33
Elyar S.
Gud är Död
Written by Guest on 25.09.2010 at 14:28

Just look at St. Anger.

St.Anger? just look at everything after Black album.....The latest album was a step back in the right direction again, though.

For me Death Magnetic is an absolute 10, at Sonisphere Istanbul they didnt play Broken, Beat and Scared and I can say that it made me feel sick, they didnt play even Harvester of Sorrow but really it didnt hurt me as they didnt play BBaS.
----
25.09.2010 - 17:15
Baz Anderson
Staff
The album is ok, it has some nice parts - mostly towards the end.
I liked the Ov Hell album more though.
25.09.2010 - 17:22
RavenKing

Just look at St. Anger.

St.Anger? just look at everything after Black album

"Nah, just look at everything after AJFA". (myself)

*Here comes Marcel Hubregtse*

"Nah, just look at everything after Master Of Puppets".

lol
----
25.09.2010 - 17:29
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by RavenKing on 25.09.2010 at 17:22

Just look at St. Anger.

lol

I was actually just planning to type that. Thanks for sparing me the energy
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

25.09.2010 - 19:02
Elyar S.
Gud är Död
Written by Baz Anderson on 25.09.2010 at 17:15

The album is ok, it has some nice parts - mostly towards the end.
I liked the Ov Hell album more though.

I wanted to try that album, it seems that its a valuable album if you say then.
----
25.09.2010 - 19:04
Elyar S.
Gud är Död
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 25.09.2010 at 17:29

Written by RavenKing on 25.09.2010 at 17:22

Just look at St. Anger.

lol

I was actually just planning to type that. Thanks for sparing me the energy

last week I saw that you said MoP sucks so lets be honest just 2 first albums
----
25.09.2010 - 19:19
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Elyar S. on 25.09.2010 at 19:04

I never said MoP sucks. I only stated that ride The Lightning is better.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

25.09.2010 - 19:22
Elyar S.
Gud är Död
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 25.09.2010 at 19:19

Written by Elyar S. on 25.09.2010 at 19:04

I never said MoP sucks. I only stated that ride The Lightning is better.

same here.
----
25.09.2010 - 21:07
Kamilbolt
Account deleted
Hmmm, are we still talking about Dimmu Borgir?
25.09.2010 - 21:11
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Guest on 25.09.2010 at 21:07

Hmmm, are we still talking about Dimmu Borgir?

Nope, we're talking about Metallica now it seems
But you're right, we should get back on-topic.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

25.09.2010 - 21:43
Elyar S.
Gud är Död
Dimmutalle a new band from Italy maybe just because Marcel is in love with Italian bands

I give this album a 7 in maximum, it means I wont listen to it maybe after a year but totally good.
----
25.09.2010 - 23:40
Now, I listened to this properly and - despite not being a big Dimmu fan... did I say this before - it is a very nicely structured and varied album, albeit fairly mainstream in production and songwriting.... but I do tend to like fairly extreme stuff and more doomy... lol
26.09.2010 - 08:29
Rating: 10
DaMaGe
A great album .... i think Shagrath proves that he can lead the band without Mustis and ICS Vortex
----
Born To Be Failure
26.09.2010 - 14:39
moe5512
I must say that i like shagraths "clean" vocals. sure it is not as high as vortex's vocals but more brutal. yeah thats right, i think this album is the most brutal dimmu album in many years
26.09.2010 - 21:01
Rating: 6
Slayer666
Of the entire review, I only agree with the first paragraph.
This is a lot better than the last few Dimmu's albums, but it's still mostly the same-old cheesy-as-fuck Dimmu that I'm quite impartial to.
27.09.2010 - 02:13
Adus11
I miss Vortex, but I think this is a pretty good album. I even like Gateways, but mostly for the end part.

Hits total: 34973 | This month: 33