Metal Storm logo
Metal Storm - Wants You! To Be Part Of Our Think Tank

Metal Storm Wants You!

In our everlasting quest for new features and developments for your favourite website, we've decided to venture into the world of smartphones. Their presence in today's society is undeniable - and still rapidly growing. We want to bring you your daily dosage of Metal as convenient as you wish, wherever you wish, whenever you wish. That's why we have to build our own Metal Storm App!

And although we know pretty much everything about Metal (just kidding guys... ), we're not so experienced in the world of applications and smartphones... which is why we need you!

If you:

- own a smartphone (doesn't matter which one / on which OS it runs - but please do specify which one/what system)
- want to contribute to this project with your experience and knowledge on this subject
- know your way around this site (doesnt have to be as a registered member, as long as you're aware of most of the features)
(- if you have experience with app development or know someone that does, please tell us!)

please send a mail to Lucas or lucasATmetalstorm.net. Together we'll discuss what you, the user, want from it (in other words, what this app needs to do/show/have) and what the possibilities, difficulties, restrictions and pitfalls are.

Further instructions will follow through PM/mail.

And what's in it for you... ? Well, you'll get the opportunity to work with some of the finest minds of Metal Storm (once again, just kidding, we're not that arrogant... ), you'll be able to make a contribution to your fav. Metal site (right?) and who knows, if you really prove your value, we may have more in store for you...

- The Metal Storm Staff

Source: metalstorm.net
Posted: 28.09.2010 by Lucas

Comments page 2 / 3

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 65   Visited by: 573 users
29.09.2010 - 15:04
wrathchild

Written by jupitreas on 29.09.2010 at 13:09

I also think the first step is to make a m.metalstorm.net kind of mobile-formatted website that does not load many images and stuff. Such a webpage would work on all mobile devices too, which is nice.

I approve of that.
----
La belleza no reside en lo que puedas crear, sino en lo que eres capaz de transmitir
Beauty resides not in what you're able to create, but in what you're able to communicate

Txus, Mägo De Oz
29.09.2010 - 15:07
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
Written by wrathchild on 29.09.2010 at 15:04

Written by jupitreas on 29.09.2010 at 13:09

I also think the first step is to make a m.metalstorm.net kind of mobile-formatted website that does not load many images and stuff. Such a webpage would work on all mobile devices too, which is nice.

I approve of that.

If I am not mistaken, this is relatively easy to do since all it takes is defining a particular style using CSS. This means we can do that ourselves.
29.09.2010 - 15:11
wrathchild

Written by jupitreas on 29.09.2010 at 15:07

If I am not mistaken, this is relatively easy to do since all it takes is defining a particular style using CSS. This means we can do that ourselves.

You're not mistaken.

EDIT: well I meant, it's the easiest and fastest way to make one, but of course the perfect thing is to also remove everything that would be of no - or little - use. And of course, you might want to have a dedicated navigation system.
----
La belleza no reside en lo que puedas crear, sino en lo que eres capaz de transmitir
Beauty resides not in what you're able to create, but in what you're able to communicate

Txus, Mägo De Oz
29.09.2010 - 16:42
mariano

Written by Lucas on 28.09.2010 at 00:00

you'll be able to make a contribution to your fav. Metal site (right?) and who knows, if you really prove your value, we may have more in store for you...

Good luck getting someone to do it for free
29.09.2010 - 17:47
Valentin B
Iconoclast
I thought Insineratehymn was Metal Storm's very own "Think Tank"
29.09.2010 - 18:18
Maxx666
Meshuggahian
Oh man i am a programmer myself...i know lots of languages out there including assembly language.:naughty:

But alas i don't know how to write apps for smart phones..i have never made any smart phones app.. although i know quite something about J2ME i'm not sure whether that will be any helpful:noidea:
29.09.2010 - 19:21
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Thanks everyone for the replies. I'm going to reply to a few of you individually through PM in the next hour.

By the way - we're first going to determine what this app needs to do, only then we're going to look for a developer. You don't need any programming/it-knowledge at this point. Sorry if I made that unclear.

And mariano, the developer won't be asked to do it for free.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
29.09.2010 - 19:26
Meller
Sleazy Rider
OK... sorry already, as this is a bit out of topic, but I just couldn't help noticing that when someone states his dislike of modern "right here, right now" applications invading our everyday life, he gets immediate ridicule and gets labeled as a retard by those who are for these things. Like Elyar S. said, looks like opposing opinions are enough to get stoned, no matter what kind of culture you live in. Oh, how happy and proud I feel for my fellow metalheads...

Personally, I also dislike these devices and applications trying to invade my personal space everywhere I go. And I also work in the field of ICT so I'm not completely unfamiliar with the technology, although I wouldn't say I'm an expert either. I'm definitely not against the technology and it's evolution, but it has some very unexpected and sometimes even serious social consequences in the long run. One of these not-so-nice phenomenons is the animosity internet gives, and makes it possible to insult someone with very little or no consequences, which obliterates one of the most important aspects of intelligent communication between people: politeness. Besides, flush your common sense and critizism down the toilet today, be the slave tomorrow... If someone outcries for this common sense and critizism and just states he's not thrilled for this possible new feature on metal storm, I think the proper way to answer is not just say "fuck you and your opinions" with a sarcastic picture.

I think Elyar S. 's opinion was blunt and short, but honest and not at all that stupid. Is it that bad to use a metal band as a "reference", so to say, to underline one's opinion, since a) it's a metal music forum, and b) band's name tells what's it all about and what the writer wants to say, even if you don't listen even one song from the said band. So, the point is very well illustrated and quite appropriate, no matter whether you agree or disagree with the writer's opinion. What's so stupid about that?

If someone is willing to continue this discussion further (about ICT invasion or communication in general), I'd be happy to share thoughts, for and against it, on elsewhere or with private messages. But might be a good idea to stop it here and now in this topic. And of course I wish all the best for MS and it's efforts to get more followers on this great, all the time evolving and promising community, although personally I'm not on fire for a new application to run on my cellphone / palm / whatever portable communication device you use. Smoke, Grind & Sleep.
----
"Haloo? ...Mulla on sellainen tunne, ett' mä olen surmannut miehen."
29.09.2010 - 20:19
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by Meller on 29.09.2010 at 19:26

OK... sorry already, as this is a bit out of topic, but I just couldn't help noticing that when someone states his dislike of modern "right here, right now" applications invading our everyday life, he gets immediate ridicule and gets labeled as a retard by those who are for these things. Like Elyar S. said, looks like opposing opinions are enough to get stoned, no matter what kind of culture you live in. Oh, how happy and proud I feel for my fellow metalheads...

You gotta understand, it wasn't so much the fact that he had an opposing opinion but rather the slightly condescending tone it was stated in. He was a problem user who was banned in the past, so you'll notice how his posts get polite the moment a staffer challenges him on his oh-so-insightful commentary.

Secondly, this wasn't a thread to discuss our opinions on the matter, but more just to get a little input to help us build it. I'm sure PM'ing a staff to open a thread about it in the website discussion if there is the need to bitch would be perfectly fine.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
29.09.2010 - 20:38
Meller
Sleazy Rider
OK Doc, fair enough - after the explanation I understand better your method of answer, since it is known and well accepted that picture says more than a thousand words. I am new here and do not know the history of the site or this particular user's way of communications, so I react only to what I see, and that was the reason your reply to the guy seemed rude. That method is still at least somewhat disagreeable to me, though the picture is funny as hell.

What I can agree with is the fact that this thread exists for different reasons than ranting for or against modern technology, but to have knowledgeable input for you guys. So, as stated, let's not swamp this thread further on with this. And back to the business at hand with next poster, I hope...
----
"Haloo? ...Mulla on sellainen tunne, ett' mä olen surmannut miehen."
29.09.2010 - 21:18
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
I want to help but i dont know how i copuld?
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
29.09.2010 - 21:29
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
Whatever the broader social implication of the increased use of mobile devices might be, its not really our concern here. We know that some (if not most) of our users have smartphones and use them to access online information. Why not make it a little easier for these people? You don't have to use it if you don't want to.
29.09.2010 - 21:33
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Written by Boxcar Willy on 29.09.2010 at 21:18

Do you own a smartphone? Do you plan on buying one? Can you thinking of anything you'd like to do on ms on your phone of you would have one? If so, let me know.
----

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
29.09.2010 - 21:41
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Lucas on 29.09.2010 at 21:33

Do you own a smartphone? Do you plan on buying one? Can you thinking of anything you'd like to do on ms on your phone of you would have one? If so, let me know.

i am thinking of getting one if i do i would like the app to be able to veiw my profile and edit it from my phone.
----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
29.09.2010 - 21:42
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Dominus on 29.09.2010 at 00:58

I have a Nokia 1100

lol
----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
29.09.2010 - 22:12
Edmund Fogg

My idea of an Ms app would be the review and new releases section plus the updates and inbox.I don't have a smartphone myself but for those out there who are always on the run, I think it would be great
----
You cannot sedate all the things you hate - MM
The Observer is the source of reality - Bloom
God damn it!! What did Diddy didn't do? - Satan
29.09.2010 - 22:52
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Quick and easy access to user record collections and wish lists would also be nice.

i know i lose about 80 IQ points when i set foot in the local record store and cannot for the life of me remember all the cd's i want and need to hunt for. quick and easy access to my wishlist would make it easier for us senile folks.

(i can do so now on my crackberry, but it takes forever to load - even bookmarked. thinking there might be a way to streamline it)
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
29.09.2010 - 23:09
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Written by Boxcar Willy on 29.09.2010 at 21:41

Written by Lucas on 29.09.2010 at 21:33

i am thinking of getting one if i do i would like the app to be able to veiw my profile and edit it from my phone.

Ok, got that.
----

29.09.2010 - 23:11
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Written by Edmund Fogg on 29.09.2010 at 22:12

My idea of an Ms app would be the review and new releases section plus the updates and inbox.I don't have a smartphone myself but for those out there who are always on the run, I think it would be great

Got it! I'm thinking we should use something like that 'Live Feed' from Facebook. You probably don't know what that is if you don't have a smartphone, but it's basically a list of all people who like your status updates, comment on them, etc. We could use that for our notifications, updates, pms, new posts in topics etc.
----

29.09.2010 - 23:33
ANGEL REAPER

Forget the idea about smartphone apps....why?
well :
1.Each smartphone is different,therefore writing an app is pain in the ass because you will need a different app for each smartphone(and OS) ,making things too complicated....
2.Apps are generally harder to write than some m.metalstorm.ee site optimised for all kind of cellphones that support wap/gprs/bluetooth/wireless/3G networks and such...
4. not everyone got a smartphone,so why to reduce a number of people that would use your new mobile version of site?
5.Security risks while implementing support for app client to use site's SQL database ....

I belive that making some mobile version of sit will be better idea...

Anyway i have some expirience with C++,C#,SQL coding and I am willing to help as much i can....
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
30.09.2010 - 00:28
Ivor
Staff
No sane person would allow a client smartphone app connect to an sql database directly. There are other ways of making things work and secure.

I.
----
No friends for playing games
No foes who scorn my name
Computerized machines of steel and rust
/---/
No friends in my house on Mars
No foes in my house on Mars
I was born in my house on Mars
I will die in my house on Mars
-- Ayreon - My House on Mars
30.09.2010 - 01:32
selken
Irreligious
Hello, I would like to help, but sadly I'm afraid I couldn't have time to help in development (because I develop xDDD), but while I'm moving from side to side I constantly use my smartphone so I could be a tester xD, I would like to help with that, I own an Omnia II and it has Windows Mobile
----
30.09.2010 - 02:39
Jason W.
Razorbliss
I'm of course willing to help test anything we develop This month I upgraded to a Samsung Galaxy S phone (dubbed the "Fascinate" in the US), and the main reason was due to internet usage. Honestly, I would love to see a dedicated m.metalstorm version, to give quick access to certain things, but, for an app, I'm wondering whether I would need it? My page loads in 5 seconds or less, and loads entirely, and once I get the Android 2.2. update, I will have the flash addition for the videos as well.

An app would have to provide something unique for my experience, and after using numerous other "apps", I always switch back to the full site since the apps are quite problematic. I would love to have an awesome MS app I could hype up to everyone, though, so count me in for bug testing I think the hints that a better way to access our music collections mobilely would be an excellent place to focus on!
----
"After silence that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." - Aldous Huxley
30.09.2010 - 09:34
Maxx666
Meshuggahian
I think the app on smartphone should enable us to view/edit our profile read the reviews,articles, interviews,and can provide latest news feeds through RSS maybe.... and the forums could also be included...
30.09.2010 - 11:28
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by ANGEL REAPER on 29.09.2010 at 23:33

4. not everyone got a smartphone,so why to reduce a number of people that would use your new mobile version of site?

Yes, not everyone's got a smartphone true. But how is making an app for smartphones limiting the access of MS?
The normal version of MS will still exist as well.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

30.09.2010 - 14:57
Edmund Fogg

Written by Lucas on 29.09.2010 at 23:11

Written by Edmund Fogg on 29.09.2010 at 22:12

Got it! I'm thinking we should use something like that 'Live Feed' from Facebook. You probably don't know what that is if you don't have a smartphone, but it's basically a list of all people who like your status updates, comment on them, etc. We could use that for our notifications, updates, pms, new posts in topics etc.

Good thinking but for the update thing,it would be nice to have some kind of filter for the ones really relevant to our fav or update bands list, because I don't have a lot of bands in those 2 categories but I still get flooded with lots of user created non relevant forum topics.
----
You cannot sedate all the things you hate - MM
The Observer is the source of reality - Bloom
God damn it!! What did Diddy didn't do? - Satan
30.09.2010 - 20:50
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Yeah, I agree.
----

30.09.2010 - 20:51
Lucas
Mr. Noise
By the way, keep commenting people! I'm copying all your wishes into a text file, so they are not forgetting. I carefully read everything here every day, so you can be sure your post is read & worthwile.
----

01.10.2010 - 16:46
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by BitterCOld on 29.09.2010 at 22:52

Quick and easy access to user record collections and wish lists would also be nice.

i know i lose about 80 IQ points when i set foot in the local record store and cannot for the life of me remember all the cd's i want and need to hunt for. quick and easy access to my wishlist would make it easier for us senile folks.

(i can do so now on my crackberry, but it takes forever to load - even bookmarked. thinking there might be a way to streamline it)

I wholeheartedly agree. It's not just you geriatrics either. It's the whole "ordering pizza" syndrome, you know what ahead of time, but the moment it's time to step up to the plate, I go into a complete blank.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
01.10.2010 - 18:14
GT
Coffee!!
I can think of the following things that I believe would be nice to have access to from your phone:
  • Your collection, as Bitter already mentioned
  • The news section
  • Reviews, articles, and blogs
  • Band database, to check up on facts such as members, discographies and tourdates
  • The funny stuff section since it's always nice to have a laugh
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep

Hits total: 6521 | This month: 4