05. Axioma
06. Giants
07. Singular
08. Night Sight
09. Lightening

[Limited Edition Bonus 7" Vinyl]
01. Jotunblod (Doom)
02. Migration

Let me tell you how I know that an album is hard to digest but great. When I put it on for the first time, most of the songs blur together, it's impossible to tell them apart. The first impression about the album is accentuated by those cool fragments of songs that remain in my memory. During the second listen I manage to hear most of those fragments. Just when I'm about to play the album for the third time to get those last cool bits, I realise that there are some more cool bits that I picked up during my second listen. With every consecutive listen, the number of cool bits increases, and my mind connects them to respective songs. After 10 listens all bits are in place, the picture is complete and my smile is wider than a six-lane freeway, because the album is brilliant.

This is exactly the case with Axioma Ethica Odini. With every listen you will discover a new gem of a song. You will encounter a new, surprising time signature. You will be amazed by another mood shift, keyboard part, vocal line, or labyrinthine progression of riffs within a single song. "Ethica Odini" will keep you enchanted with its catchy, yet wonderfully convoluted chorus and ominous keyboards, creeping just underneath the guitars. "Singular" will enthrall you with its ever-shifting time signatures and seduce you with a psychedelic guitar passage and eerie vocals that come about six minutes into the song. You will be captivated by the majestic beginning of "Giants," slowly thickening, sinister buildup to the madness of "Waruun," or the mellow beginning of "Night Sight". Finally, "Lightening" will bring you to your knees - this is the most progressive and ambitious song Enslaved have ever written. Let me also add that it's their best song to date.

Enslaved's journey to greatness has had, so far, two highest points: Below the Lights and Isa. Ruun and Vertebrae developed concepts first mastered on Isa, at the cost of abandoning some of the band's root values - musical heaviness and aggression. Excellent as they are, the previous two releases display a somewhat tenderer side of Enslaved. Axioma Ethica Odini successfully alloys the old style with the new direction. Enslaved sounds angry and heavy like 15 years ago, but at the same time they're more progressive than ever. Keyboards work stealthily, yet steadily, lending the songs majestic depth. Sparsely, but wisely used clean vocals break the wall of sound with intriguing, haunting melodies. Unique guitar style permeates all riffs, imbuing them with a peculiar oddity that only Enslaved possesses. This album is a perfect connection between the old and the new Enslaved. It's also a perfect stepping stone to an even more stellar career.

The beginning of the 1990's brought us plenty of excellent black metal bands: Mayhem, Enslaved, Emperor, Satyricon, Burzum, Darkthrone, Immortal, to name just the essential classic few who defined black metal for at least two decades. Some of them ceased to be, some of them are still active. But out of all those that are around, Enslaved stands as THE major force. Not only in black metal, but extreme metal in general. The bravest, the most creative and inventive. The closest to what very few are privileged to achieve - musical immortality.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 10
Originality: 9
Production: 9

Written on 30.09.2010 by Writes overly honest and totally subjective reviews when fancy strikes him. Which is not often. Which is probably good, all things considered.

Guest review by
ponderer
Rating:
Here we are again. I say that because Enslaved are beating the proverbial "Nordic Black Metal" horse to death. It seems like this is becoming a standard out of the Northern European Black Metal scene these days. Scary makeup, growling vocals, droning guitars, and a complete lack of direction other than to throw in some "evil" lyrics. Like anyone will ever go as far as Mercyful Fate did in the 80's lyrically? Doubtful, and I haven't seen anyone do it yet.

Read more ››
published 12.12.2010 | Comments (128)

Guest review by
Metren
Rating:
It is almost certainly true that in each professional musician's life - if they are passionate and serious about their art - comes a point, when they become almost too good at what they do and the result is an album that doesn't take very many risks or doesn't include any truly mind-blowing melodies, riffs, solos, etc. For Enslaved, that point of becoming too good to take risks came with 2010's Axioma Ethica Odini.

Few albums will impress as highly on the first listen as this one, but that's not necessarily a good thing when it comes to (extreme) metal. An initial reaction of "I don't quite get it yet, but it's interesting" holds much more promise of an album becoming a true classic than does "OMG! This is awesome!"

Read more ››
published 20.08.2016 | Comments (24)

Comments page 2 / 3

Comments: 70   Visited by: 781 users
04.10.2010 - 00:50
Baz Anderson
Staff
A gem of an album.
04.10.2010 - 01:21
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Elite
Written by advent on 04.10.2010 at 00:27

Very ordinary album , musicianship could be the only powerful aspect on this album , anyway they play it safe and nothing had impressed me , especially songwriting

They didn't push the boundaries as much as they did with Vertebrae, but I think they just wanted to bring the heaviness and rawness back to let people know they weren't going soft. I was definitely not expecting an album this extreme after Vertebrae, maybe that is why it has had such an impact... I don't know. I felt the same way as you after the first listen, impressed by the musicianship but not really feeling anything stick in regards to songwriting. It took a couple of spins before the bizarreness of certain segues started to hit me and grab my attention...
06.10.2010 - 02:26
Rating: 7
advent
Btw , i didn't like the review , to much praise , neither the rating , the reviewer sounds like a die-hard Enslaved fan , i think the album has a lot of flaws to be mentioned
06.10.2010 - 03:44
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by advent on 06.10.2010 at 02:26

Btw , i didn't like the review , to much praise , neither the rating , the reviewer sounds like a die-hard Enslaved fan , i think the album has a lot of flaws to be mentioned

like what flaws?
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

06.10.2010 - 07:06
Rating: 9
Daggon
Underpaid M.D.
Holy Fucking Shit!!! This is probably the greatest album I have listened in the entire year. Now I'm sure as fuck of two of my votes for the Metal Storm Awards of this year
----
"Les vers savent qu'ils n'ont pas d'ailes, c'est pour cela qu'ils se cachent sous terre"
06.10.2010 - 09:51
Rating: 10
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite

Reviewed by a fan - bad. Reviewed by a hater - bad. Who do you suggest should review albums? E.T.?
Anyway, I at least justified my opinion, you didn't. Why open your mouth if you have nothing to say?
06.10.2010 - 23:34
advent
Written by Daniell on 06.10.2010 at 09:51

Reviewed by a fan - bad. Reviewed by a hater - bad. Who do you suggest should review albums? E.T.?
Anyway, I at least justified my opinion, you didn't. Why open your mouth if you have nothing to say?

Calm dawn it's just an opinion , you of course have the right to ask me to justify my opinion and here it is :

about your review: 1- i think your review is not honest enough at some parts, even your describing can be read in any praise review, and of course any album even if it's so good the reviewer must note flaws as he notes the powerful aspects of the album , which i didn't see , only praise

2- most of review described Enslaved performance on this album , and of course they skilled musicians playing since 1990's , and being able to play with same enthusiasm is a good point to mention in your review but not the only one to be count on , you didn't mention another factors like originality and songwriting which i think it is huge step back in this album , also there no real evolution can be find in this a;bum , and of course heaviness is not an evolution . In other words they know how to deliver and execute there music well , but the issue is in their music being uninspired and very ordinary.

3- usually i don't complain about ratings but i guess 9.5 is to way unrealistic.

about the album : 1- as i said before musicianship could be only powerful aspect on the album , nothing interesting could be found in their songwriting , and for me , it is the core of any listenable music.

2- i know that it is hard to listen to any original music in metal , but for Enslaved i expected them to be more creative.

Eventually , it is okay album , but for me it is way overrated for me , and of course i could be wrong.
07.10.2010 - 01:21
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
This is a good album, but really overhyped. It sounds too much like Opeth for people to be saying it's original.

It's my favorite album by them that I've heard, but I'd still give it a 7/10.
07.10.2010 - 02:19
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
@advent and still you haven't any of the so called flaws. As for progression does a band really have to "progress" in order to deliver a masterpiece?
This album certainly is different from the last couple they delivered. Here they found the right balance between their old and new sound.

For me this is THE album of the year. Up till now not a single one comes within touching distance, except for the new Mar De Grises.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

07.10.2010 - 09:39
Daggon
Underpaid M.D.
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 07.10.2010 at 02:19

For me this is THE album of the year. Up till now not a single one comes within touching distance, except for the new Mar De Grises.

I wholeheartedly agree with you my friend. Still I think Mar De Grises new album is below "Axioma Ethica Odini"

Hey everybody, as I said once in the review for Solution .45, "it's not about reinventing the scene, just about make it better", what I wanted to say is that you don't have to "progress" in each album, you just have to do what you know to do best, but if you can do it better, then fucking do it!
Take Behemoth or Amon Amarth for example, their last releases are just a copy-paste of their previous albums, but it's just the same music, again and again, without adding some "spirit" to the music, now take Enslaved or Warbringer, they have released something astonishing in their last releases, they are still playing the same genre of their previous albums, but they added something new, the music is different, even if they are not adding way too different elements to their music. I don't know if I explained myself very well, but those are my thoughts.

Axioma Ethica Odini = Album Of The Year
----
"Les vers savent qu'ils n'ont pas d'ailes, c'est pour cela qu'ils se cachent sous terre"
07.10.2010 - 09:42
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite
Written by advent on 06.10.2010 at 23:34

nothing interesting could be found in their songwriting

I of course respect your opinions and it's perfectly ok with me if you like the album much less than me, but these words must be the funniest tthing I've read on MS this year.
07.10.2010 - 09:58
Derwood
I really don't get the hype for this album. It fails to hold my attention at all and I don't hear anything that gets it out of mediocre territory.
----
You can't fight evil with a macaroni duck!
07.10.2010 - 11:00
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite
I understand. It's just not your cup of tea. I myself am almost completely impervious to grindcore. To me it's a stupid, pointless genre, and good albums are fewer than my toes. I guess it's the same with Enslaved for you.
07.10.2010 - 12:26
InnerSelf
proofread free
Well I finally had the chance to listen to this album and you can imagine the HUGE expectations I had , and it totally lived up to these expectations

highly addictive
----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.
07.10.2010 - 14:15
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite
Written by InnerSelf on 07.10.2010 at 12:26

highly addictive

I wish I had used it in my review, it's so true!
07.10.2010 - 17:19
Winterthrone
In my heart this album is already THE album of the year. The perfect balance between progressive and black metal, they finally reached it! Oh, and the clean vocals are so good on this one. Thumbs up for Enslaved!
07.10.2010 - 17:55
advent
Written by Daniell on 07.10.2010 at 09:42

Written by advent on 06.10.2010 at 23:34

nothing interesting could be found in their songwriting

I of course respect your opinions and it's perfectly ok with me if you like the album much less than me, but these words must be the funniest tthing I've read on MS this year.

Strange , i had never been a "funny' person , anyway , a couple of good riffs or mood shift wont make it more interesting, just compare it to Runn and Isa songs .
07.10.2010 - 18:45
GT
Coffee!!
Staff
Finally listened to this. It's pretty good. I can see why someone mentioned Opeth only Enslaved totally owned them. This is way better. Since it's my first listen I'm not at a score as high as the review, but it might change. Definitely one of the top albums this year
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
09.10.2010 - 14:50
After a few more spins, it's still growing on me... although the songwriting is less complex, it has gained in directness and approchability. But Dark Fortress are at the moment keeping it off my CD player...
09.10.2010 - 17:31
TheBigRossowski
This album is brilliant. The review is great as well too, Dude. I bet I'll be listening to this one a few times.
----
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?
13.10.2010 - 13:30
InnerSelf
proofread free
Written by Daniell on 07.10.2010 at 14:15

Written by InnerSelf on 07.10.2010 at 12:26

highly addictive

I wish I had used it in my review, it's so true!

It certainly is , until today it is still spinning regularly and every time it does I find new things that I like about it either new riffs or new vocal lines "it has all been said in the review"

And still some people say it is not a good metal year !!!
----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.
13.10.2010 - 21:49
hadriel
Great review...Been playing this non-stop along with the Mar De Grises album. Great to see some quality albums finally getting released this year...wasn't looking very promising a couple of months ago.
15.10.2010 - 17:04
SKELETOR
Wtf? it s very cool this is quality metal:maniac:
20.11.2010 - 09:48
Saw these guys live last night with Dimmu Borgir. A great show. I bought this album there and got it signed. When I got home I gave it a listen but my mind was too tired to comprehend what was going on anymore. Today I gave it another listen. It was absolutely brilliant. I loved everthing about it. From the keyboard and clean vocals to the heaviness and coarseness of the guitars and vocals. Hail Enslaved!!!
21.11.2010 - 09:03
Necrodamus
Hands down, this is my favorite album of the year. They have topped their last release in terms of quality and pure musicianship. I'll be listening to this for years to come. Great review, btw.
26.11.2010 - 19:25
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Contributor
Very good review. I've listened to this three times now (not enough to vote IMO) and a few things stand out. The production of this album blows away any of their previous works. These guys must practice alot because their musicianship improves with each album. I have 600 albums, not one other band sounds like Enslaved - originality always keeps me interested.
----
rekt
15.12.2010 - 05:24
Rating: 8
Nyxgrinder
The mods should delete the other review.......Ethica Odini, Singular and The Beacon are masterpieces why the fuck he or she rate it with a 2 ???
16.12.2010 - 09:06
Aetherius
Awesome album!!
10.01.2011 - 18:57
Czerny Reiter
Ethica Odini, Giants and Lightening alone are well worth the admission price. This is an extraordinary album with a lot to offer. The riffs and drumming are simply out of this world.
04.03.2011 - 22:15
ErnilEnNaur
Account deleted
As a person who's never been able to get into black metal, I am enjoying this much more than I thought I would. The atmosphere is great on this album and the comparisons to Opeth that I've read are actually really rather appropriate. Wow, it seems I might be getting into black metal after all. Damn good album.

Hits total: 16623 | This month: 14