Metal Storm logo
The 'New' Big Four Of Thrash?

Original post

Posted by , 02.10.2010 - 01:47
Stated in article http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2010/jul/22/big-four-tour-metallica-slayer it says that the new big four of thrash (I'm assuming after the other four decide to stop) are Municipal Waste, Bonded By Blood, Evile and Toxic Holocaust band.

My opinion on this: I love Evile and Bonded By Blood, Municipal Waste has potential so I'd leave them there and I'd rather have Gama Bomb instead of Toxic Holocaust. Tell me which of the four that you like the most and which band you'd rather have in the new big four if you had to choose.
21.02.2012 - 21:30
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Lamb Of God
All That Remains
Trivium
Avenged Sevenfold
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
22.02.2012 - 09:41
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by Boxcar Willy on 21.02.2012 at 21:30

Lamb Of God
All That Remains
Trivium
Avenged Sevenfold

You are an insane tr00l. chuck! A7x is Thrash? really? or you just wanna become a laughing stock as you were in 2009 ? that wasn't a smart answer Box.

Well, it should be

1. Municipal Waste
2. Overkill
3. Machine Fucking Head
4. Nuclear Assault
22.02.2012 - 11:01
IncoherentScream

Venom
Metallica
Sodom
Kreator

Yeah that's pretty much my big four since there really isn't a big four for me in this new thrash metal thing/movement/revival going on. I'm usually not big on bands trying to bring a style back if they don't have anything interesting to add to it. Most of the bands listed on this thread (in my opinion I should say) don't. I mean at least have a cool gimmick like Ghost. I know they aren't thrash but they are bringing back an older style of metal while at the same time injecting something cool and fun into it. It's about as lame as all those second-wave black metal copycats out there. There is one band in my mind doing something cool and interesting with the thrash genre; Darkthrone. But then again the fact that they are my favorite band of all time doesn't hurt anything either. I'll take A Blaze in the Northern Sky over Nevermind any day for best album of the early 90's. LET THE FLAMING BEGIN!!!!
22.02.2012 - 14:43
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Cynic Metalhead on 22.02.2012 at 09:41

Lamb Of God
All That Remains
Trivium
Avenged Sevenfold

You are an insane tr00l. chuck! A7x is Thrash? really? or you just wanna become a laughing stock as you were in 2009 ? that wasn't a smart answer Box.

This thread has gone to hell, I thought I join them
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
22.02.2012 - 16:52
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by Boxcar Willy on 22.02.2012 at 14:43

Written by Cynic Metalhead on 22.02.2012 at 09:41

Lamb Of God
All That Remains
Trivium
Avenged Sevenfold

This thread has gone to hell, I thought I join them

No its not gone to hell upto now. MS Users are still giving their opinions and all are very interesting.
22.02.2012 - 16:53
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by Guest on 23.01.2012 at 03:06

How the hell did this topic reach four pages?

The way you reaches to sweet 16.
22.02.2012 - 17:48
Lit.
Account deleted
Written by IncoherentScream on 22.02.2012 at 11:01

Venom
Megadeth
Sodom
Destruction

Fix'd.
22.02.2012 - 18:18
IncoherentScream

Written by Guest on 22.02.2012 at 17:48

Written by IncoherentScream on 22.02.2012 at 11:01

Venom
Megadeth
Sodom
Destruction

Fix'd.

Hmmmm...Destruction being traded out for Kreator isn't necessarily too big of an issue for me but I'm definitely on the Metallica side of the fence. Up until 86 at least. After that I don't claim them anymore. Not trying to be hip or anything by saying that just my opinion. Mustaine's style never did anything for me.
21.02.2014 - 07:22
Get_thrashed

"Hazardous Mutation" is THE only good album I heard for municipal waste I guess,, the rest disappointed me!! i would rather list them with metalcore..this is not how i want new thrash to become like...

anyhow I might want these two among the new thrashy big four (though the topic is kinda old but interesting):
Havok
warbringer
----
http://www.last.fm/user/em_eldeen
21.02.2014 - 21:46
Lit.
Account deleted
Written by deadone on 21.02.2014 at 07:34

Evile = Slayer/Metallica
Bonded By Blood = Exodus
Municipal Waste = DRI
Warbringer = genereic thrash,

I don't see any of those other guys doing any better these days (or in DRI's case, ever).

Besides, they already clarified that point like 5 pages ago, and I don't remember caring then either.
23.02.2014 - 04:25
Darth Revan

There won't be bands who reach that level of popularity any time soon. Metallica, Slayer, Megadeth and Anthrax became so popular because they brought a certain aggression and presence to their music, whether it be Slayer's attempts to be darker than everyone else, Megadeth's drama mongering (I say Megadeth, Megadave is actually a very accurate term) or Metallica's attempts to battle the "posers"... which really ironic these days considering how hard they sold out. One thing I never understood though was Anthrax's popularity... no one I know listens to 'em, Exodus was probably just as popular at the time... Point is, it's more than music. It's presence outside of the music world which all of these new bands simply lack. I love Municipal Waste very much, but I doubt they'll ever have the sheer influence Megadeth has.
25.02.2014 - 15:33
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Anthrax were lots bigger than Exodus at the time. In the Eighties and early Nineties. Load more popular.
I was fan of both bands back in the day and prefered Exodus but it was clear to all that Anthrax were far more popular. Way more exposure on MTV and they also featured in an episode of Married With Children at the time. And that sitcome was HUGE back then.

Like deadone said Exodus were usually mentioned in terms of being "Kirk Hammett's old band." even though Hunolt and Holt were and are superior guitar players to Hammett.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

18.03.2014 - 13:04
FOOCK Nam

Anthrax was ver popular, exposed more to MTV, way far to the point they have collaboration with rap scene, as I remember with wu tan clan, leastly marketing or could be musically involvement. I do enjoy Anthrax, but if battle with Exodus, I've seen more fan to lean on and respect more, even like Exodus beat Metallica, come closed to Slayer.
19.03.2014 - 01:27
BitterCOld
The Ancient One

Married with Anthrax.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
19.03.2014 - 03:15
Lit.
Account deleted
Anthrax guest-starring was the only reason worth watching that abomination of a show.
19.03.2014 - 22:33
AngelofDeth
Cyborg Raptor
If you would ask me there is no New Big Four of Thrash, because no other thrash bands are reaching anywhere near the original Big Four's success. If you put it in relative terms then maybe you could get away with it but new Thrash just isn't mainstream like it used to be, even in the metal community.

And of course Dave had to put some pretentious statement in there about bashing Glam and saying Thrash is the best.. Reminds me of how Nergal's been putting down other Metal bands lately too. What douches...
----
pewpew.. gotcha
20.03.2014 - 08:48
AngelofDeth
Cyborg Raptor
Written by deadone on 20.03.2014 at 00:18

The other thing is the new bands aren't innovative. It's just rehashing stuff from the 1980s.

The original Big 4 each pioneered elements of Thrash and were very good at song writing.

I think most of this current crop of Thrash would be 3rd or even 4th tier if they were around in the 1980s- they're not original sounding, they're not strong song writers nor are they particularly innovative.

I havent listened to new Thrash a whole lot but from what I've heard that seems to be generally true, just doesnt sound fresh! Meanwhile the Big 4, as you said were extremely innovative and perfected the genre(imo).

Though, Municipal Waste is fairly innovative imo, they probably still wouldve been 2nd tier back in the day but at least they have their own unique sound/image. Cant vouch for any other bands though.

Instead of rehashing, new bands should try to push the genre like the oldies. It would be cool to hear a sort of Extreme Power influenced Thrash album with heavy on the leads, maybe even keys- kind of like "Trashed, Lost & Strungout" by Children of Bodom.
----
pewpew.. gotcha
18.04.2014 - 01:10
SelfXPlanetOrE

Municipal Waste
Bonded By Blood
Warbringer
Havok
29.04.2014 - 15:38
raveneffect

I'd say Lost Society is becoming a strong contender for the next big thing. And, of course, the whole world is waiting for Tantara's follow up on "Based On Evil".

Municipal Waste is the new Metallica I guess.
30.04.2014 - 02:19
raveneffect

Written by deadone on 30.04.2014 at 02:03

Lost Society? We need a vomit emoticon.
Quote:

Written by deadone on 30.04.2014 at 02:03

Not even close! Metallica were innovators in the genre and had massive influence. Municipal Waste are still clones.

I still don't think there is a big 4 of new Thrash as the genre is nowhere near as new or innovative as the 1980s.

And Thrash is no longer the leading genre. It's just one genre of many and other forms of metal are getting more commercial success (Metalcore, Symphonic Metal. Progressive Metal as well as old school stuff).

You obviously didnt get my point, since it packed a good punch of sarcasm. If these are the new Big 4 (which I agree, is completely without logic), Municipal Waste is clearly the new Metallica. They may not be the best of this new wave of bands, but they're the ones who are carrying the Flag and have all eyes on them.